Schwalbe Spiker Tire

4.37/5 (19 Reviews)
Weight : 980 grams MSRP : $47.99

• Tungsten-Carbide spikes to keep you on track
  • Widely spaced treads to allow snow to clear and increase traction
  • Wire bead
  • 26 x 2.10in. size

Submitted by Shredaddy a Racer

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2013

Strengths:    Superior grip on ice and snow
Super light weight for a 29e studded tire
Extremely low rolling resistance for a studded tire
Very easy to mount on Bontrager Xlite wheels

Weaknesses:    The MSRP of $175 would make these super expensive.

Bottom Line:
Got great price on the Ice Spiker Pros $98 from Univeral Cycles
Tires practically fell onto Bontrager Xlite wheels.
Rode 30 miles on pavement at 20 psi to seat studs as recommended by reviewers.
During break in noticed that bike rolled faster than friends bike with Kenda Karma tires did [amazing].
On hard packed snow and solid ice these tires hold like crazy! I think I can now ride the technical single tracks in NH faster in winter than in summer.
I've lost less than 10 studs after 150 miles of agressive riding.
I run these tires with tubes so I can swap them ought easily when the rocks and roots start coming through. These tires perform so well in severe icy conditions they are totaly worth the extra effort of the changeover just to make them last.

Favorite Trail:   Twister in Horse Hill Merrimack NH

Duration Product Used:   150 miles

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Nokian Extremes and Kenda Klondikes

Bike Setup:   Jamis 29R Race

Submitted by Kurt a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2012

Strengths:    traction, handling, stability, snow shedding, looks

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Like many winter trail riders, I've been using Nokian 2.1 studded tires because there are very few options for anything wider. Sure, you get decent traction with a 2.1 rear tire because it's narrow, but up front a 2.1 feels really unstable, especially after a season of riding 2.35's on my trail bike.

When I found the Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro 2.3 online, I ordered one to use as a front tire. I can sum up the performance in one word: awesome. The confidence this thing inspires is amazing. It has a tall center profile (looks like a Highroller), which helps it dig in and also shed snow. I rode in sticky, wet snow yesterday and my Nokian was caked but there was no snow in the Schwalbe's knobs. Handling wise, you can lean into corners because there are studs on the side of the profile, unlike the flatter profile skinny Nokians. I did not ride on pavement much before hitting the trails as recommended, but I've only lost one stud so far and that was because I was really laying the bike over on slushy pavement to see when traction would break free. I'm still running a 2.1 Nokian for a rear tire for now.

So I can easily recommend this tire. It's a great design and just plain works great. Curious how it would work for a rear tire.

Photo of my tire: http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b15/nhmtns/SchwalbeIceSpikerPro.jpg

Similar Products Used:   Nokian 294's

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Nomad, Transition Trans AM

Submitted by tundraline a Cross Country Rider from Lyons, CO

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2011

Strengths:    Good grip

Weaknesses:    Too many spikes lost in a short period of time

Bottom Line:
My best advice: Stay well away from these tires. Schwalbe does not know what they are doing when it comes to spiked winter tires. I have used these tires now on 7 rides on local mountain bike trails under winter conditions and guess what -- almost 30% of the spikes are gone. My Nokians served me far better over past years. Yes, they too lost studs, but at a rate of only about 10% per tire per season, not 30% over a single week. Nokian also makes a tool for inserting replacement spikes (Schwalbe, to my knowledge, does not). Schwalbe customer service now informs me that Ice Spike Pro tires MUST be run in new on an asphalt surface for 25 km at 20 psi or less to seat the spikes into the rubber. When I spoke with them, it was my firm impression that Schwalbe are highly attuned to the issue of excessive spike loss; after my experiences with the Ice Spike Pro tire I am not surprised. It would have been helpful if Schwalbe had included run-in instructions with the tires when I bought them. Schwalbe says these run-in procedures will prevent spikes from coming out later. I would recommend following Schwalbe's run-in procedures for Ice Spiker Pro tires -- just in case they might work. A better alternative to these tires is to buy Nokian studded tires -- they have been in the studded snow tire business for decades and have the experience in this field that Schwalbe clearly lacks.

Favorite Trail:   Hall Ranch

Purchased At:   Locally through bike

Similar Products Used:   Nokian Gaza Extreme and other Nokian studded snow tires

Bike Setup:   Giant Anthem 29er

Submitted by jenine.b a Cross Country Rider from Manchester England

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2010

Strengths:    Wow, these things are amazing on ice and snow...they allow you to ride up tracks that are coverd in solid sheets of ice on the trails...what was previously un rideable is now a new line...cannot believe how well these things grip on ice, was riding up hill on solid ice, with no problems...brain could not quite believe it!!!

Weaknesses:    well they are very heavy at almost 1000grams each, but the grip they give you more than makes up for this, also as you run them at quite a low pressure riding on tarmac is very slow... but there meant for off road so not to much of a problem...

Bottom Line:
these tyres make a unbelievable difference on ice, they work good in snow too.... They are heavy, but it really dose not matter...so id really recommend them...they are the best upgrade i have ever made..ice riding is a bit like night riding, it makes it lots more fun!!!!!! These are not suitable for commuting, the only road work you want to be doing on them is stuff you come along on the trail, if you use these for getting to work add a few minuets to you're journey times as they seem to have a top speed of about 15 miles a hour on the road...also they make a very very cool noise!!!

Favorite Trail:   Around edale

Purchased At:   ebay germany

Similar Products Used:   tyres with-out spikes on the ice...not a good idea at all

Bike Setup:   scott spark, its still got some original bits..lol

Submitted by hihi a Weekend Warrior from saskatoon sk, canada

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2010

Strengths:    doe notslide on ice, carbibe studs dig in when you stop on ice, wide tread pattern works good in half a foot of snow

Weaknesses:    heavy tire, loud on pavment(but that wont be a problem because i live in saskatchewan, canada so when it is winter the snow is here to stay and in the summer i can switch to summer tyers).

Bottom Line:
great tyer recomend for everyone in place with snow ice and cold weather. alot like canada in the winter.

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   bike doctor ,saskato

Similar Products Used:   homemade

Bike Setup:   2008 norco kokanee, rockshock dart 2, hayes mx4 brakes, much more

Submitted by stevemtbr a Cross Country Rider from Nine Mile Falls, WA

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2010

Strengths:    Easy to mount, Grips great on ice and snow. Light for a studded tire.

Weaknesses:    Ok they don't roll well on pavement. So what!

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Ice Spiker Pro. This month we had snow, heavy rain, hard freeze and a repeat weather pattern not even a week later, makes for some very icy trails. Riverside State park has over 50 miles of trails and due to the weather 80% of the trails was solid ice. Even the climbs/down hills was solid ice due to the wet snow freezing solid. Now what a testing ground for studded tires. Smooth ice, rutted ice, bumpy icy bob sled runs, icy climbs, these tires can handle it all. Best winter bike product purchase ever.

Favorite Trail:   Trail #7 on Lookout Pass

Purchased At:   On line

Similar Products Used:   Home made studded tires.

Bike Setup:   Winter bike is a Cannondale CAD3 hard tail with rigid fork and mix of Shimano LX/XT,Avid and grip Shift.

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Menomonie, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2009

Strengths:    Amazing traction on snow/ice! Durable studs (none have pulled out after 2 years of riding to class every day)
I say that I still have 3 years of riding left before they start to wear down pretty far.

Weaknesses:    These are pretty heavy. Naturally they should be, because of all the studs.. but the pros and nokians have aluminum that saves over 200 grams. Noisy on pavement, and that's true with every studded tire. The steel inserts are also rusting a little bit.

Bottom Line:
I love these tires and wouldn't ever feel the need to get different ones. They have superb grip on snow ice and I can ride without being nervous. However be careful on concrete. My front tire slid out on me (I was being aggressive and fast though.) They are heavier than the top of the line models but sometimes you just have to live with it. If you're racing, then go for the lighter ones!! I did not like the rust spots on the stud inserts but it hasn't seem to cause any problems except some stains on the carpet.

I rate these a 4 because there ARE better tires out there, but all you're paying for really is weight and some more studs that you might not even notice. I have 2 years on these tires (I ride a couple miles a day and a lot of it is on concrete) and I feel confident that these tires will last me at least 2 more years.

Similar Products Used:   Nokians

Bike Setup:   I ride a Schwinn homegrown

Submitted by dsonnen a Cross Country Rider from Bellingham, WA

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2009

Strengths:    These tires are amazing on ice and snow. When the trails and pavement are icy or snow packed, Ice Spikers keep traction much better than other studded knobbies that I've tried. They shed snow, so the tread doesn't pack with ice/snow. The tread pattern works in snow, rutted ice and glare.

Weaknesses:    Expensive. But, so are similar tires from other companies.

Bottom Line:
I use my bike for primary transportation, so ice and snow are just part of getting around. If you want to ride on snow and ice, Ice Spikers are a solid option.

Favorite Trail:   Lost lake

Purchased At:   Kulshan Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Nokian

Bike Setup:   Trek 8500 hardtail. Shimano Deore XT. I keep air pressure between 35-40 psi in front and rear for ice and snow.

Submitted by nihilo666 a Weekend Warrior from Surgut, Russia

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2009

Strengths:    Lightweight, long lasting wears and it do what you expect - grip on ice. I've got so many falls caused by slip on ice before, how could I live without them?!

Bottom Line:
I use Ice Spikers Pro with Notubes tubeless kit. Side walls seemed to be weak and there were small holes on sides the first time, but now they have disappeared.

My friend has bought not Pro version before me so I was able to compare. Double the difference in price and quality and you get the Pro version.
Ice Spiker Pro haven't bead, so they are foldable. Rubber is felt as rubber even on a frost while on Ice Spiker rubber is felt as plastic even at a room temperature. Also there is a considerable difference in weight but the main distinction is in studs. Cheaper tires has less studs and they are made from steel. More expensive tyres have an advantage in number of studs, and they are made of silicon carbide in an aluminium cover.
I avoided rapid braking as well as my friend first 50 kilometres, but he lost 3 studs already. However I still consider Ice Spiker as a good buy and it is your decision whether to choose Ice Spiker or Ice Spiker Pro.

Purchased At:   hibike.de

Similar Products Used:   Ice Spiker

Bike Setup:   Jamis XAM 1

Submitted by BrentP a Racer from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2009

Strengths:    Unbelievable traction and stopping power in all conditions.

Weaknesses:    Heavy and slow, but it's a winter tire not a summer race tire, so no complaints. Pricy, but they'll last for years so the value is actually good relative to a high performance summer tire.

Bottom Line:
Amazing, Amazing, Amazing.

I wasn’t totally sold on the idea of winter studded tires for my mtb, but a friend convinced me I should give them a try, so I opted for the Ice Spikers (might as well go for high-end, or not go at all). My first impression after mounting them was that they were going to be slow, but that goes without saying since they are about three times heavier than the race tires I had on my XC bike. Not a bad thing, really, because the trade-off is long life.

I was blown away by the performance in all conditions. Climbing steep, boot packed single track was a breeze. In fact, trails where I encountered wheel spin when climbing in the summer, I climbed like I was on a tracked vehicle with the Ice Spikers. Not once did I spin the rear tire while climbing. Stopping power was unbelievable. On icy snowpacked roads where cars were crawling, I could approach an intersection at ‘mach schnell’, hit the brakes, and be at a full stop in about 15 feet. To say these tires inspire confidence would be an understatement.

I’m still trying to figure out their limits, but so far haven’t dumped the bike once. The only time they haven’t worked (but nothing would) is when I strayed off packed single track when in the back country, and broke through surface crust into 12’ of sugary snow while climbing. I stopped dead, but simply put the bike back on the track and took off again without any drama or wheel spin.

I would recommend these tires to anyone who wants to extend their riding throughout the winter, and to whom (like me) the prospect of riding a trainer indoors is akin to Chinese water torture. They’re pricy, but the longevity will ultimately make them less expensive that typical summer tires in the long run.

Purchased At:   Mountain Equipment C

Bike Setup:   Tricked out Santa Cruz BlurXC. Spinergy Disc wheels.

Submitted by bikeschenck a Racer from Prattsburgh, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2008

Strengths:    insane grip on ice, wet ice, and snow. Better stud placement than the new Nokian 294's I think.(I previously rode the Nokian 296's which were great).

Weaknesses:    weight, but get over it, they're studs...what do you expect?

Bottom Line:
If you wanna rip winter trails, this is your tire....I'm becoming a big fan of Schwalbe tires in general and this tire is no exception. I lower the pressure to 20-25 PSI and the confidence they give climbing, cornering, and descending is incredible. Get off the trainer, get these and have some fun...

Purchased At:   phattire.com