Schwalbe Rocket Ron Tire

3.17/5 (58 Reviews)

Its tapered tread lugs give the Schwalbe Rocket Ron TL Ready Tire an uncanny ability to offer traction in mixed conditions, wet or dry. It's especially appealing here because the low weight of the tire underscores its intent as a race tire, designed to get you there first. With the Rocket Ron, you don't have to settle for fast or grippy -- you can have both. Compared to the Racing Ralph, the slightly more prominent blocks have been spaced a bit further apart to achieve more void space. This is part of the reason that it self-cleans in mucky stuff so you can continue to have traction to drive down the trail and keep the bike upright. The Rocket Ron uses Schwalbe's PaceStar Triple Compound, their fastest. Schwalbe engineers recognize that it's not possible for one compound to do it all, so they've combined three to optimize the tire's performance. The low-profile tread of the Rocket Ron is fast, and it's still an excellent cornering tire thanks to the U-Block shoulder tread. These tread blocks are angled at 20 degrees or so towards the outside of the tire. A small sipe doesn't quite divide the block, creating the "U" shape. They work to counteract the lateral forces endured when cornering to maintain traction and to keep the bike stable.This tire is designed to be tubeless ready (TL), which means you can say goodbye to pinch flats. A tubeless system allows you to run less air pressure, again enhancing the grip of the tire's tread. Better traction, less vibration, and no flats lead to a great ride. It's necessary to use a liquid sealant within the tire to seal the bead seat and to quickly seal thorn or debris punctures on the trail. The Schwalbe Rocket Ron TL Ready is available in 26 x 2.1, 26 x 2.25, and 26 x 2.4" widths. Please note: because Schwalbe has optimized this tire to be lightweight, patching in the event of puncture is not recommended.Tubeless 101: The Why and the How Explained.

Submitted by rich a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2015

Strengths:    great on hard pack forest trail, handles well in sticky mud situations and tread cleans quickly. great grip over roots in the wet.

Weaknesses:    the rubber is too soft and wears quickly, i have had the tyres for 2 months, ridden about 600kms road, trail, un sealed roads and forest tracks in northern NSW Australia. I had 4 flats and 2 pinch flats on the back and a small puncture on the front. converted them to tubless no dramas. then had three gashes between 4 and 8mm on the rear tyre while descending over loose rock on a fire trail and got squirted with sealant. Spent 20 mins resealing (rotating tyre and slowly adding more psi) and rode home. the tread is also wearing really quickly on the rear, skidded to a stop on bitumen to avoid hitting a dog and there went one of the treads.

Bottom Line:
The tyres suit smooth, hard packed trails with no sharp rocks.

Bike Setup:   Scott Spark 750

Submitted by cdadaa a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2015

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Weakest sidewall and tread of any tire I've ever used.
Price.
Requires a tube.

Bottom Line:
Weakest sidewall and tread of any tire I've ever used. I've had to do countless internal patches. Sealant ooze's through the sidewall they are so thin. I question these as tubeless (Racing Ralph included). They can't handle any sharp rock conditions without severe cuts on the sidewall and even the tread surface. In reality I paid $96 for a tubeless tire that requires a tube. Remind me why tubeless tires good? I will never buy Schwalbe's again. This is the first time ever I've written a review but felt compelled to do so to advise others.

Favorite Trail:   Bosie Foothills

Duration Product Used:   6 monhts

Purchased At:   Webcyclery, Bend, OR

Similar Products Used:   Racing Ralph tubeless (with identical review), Rapid Rob tubeless (a little better), Nevegal, tubed.

Bike Setup:   Ritchey P29er, Fat Chance Yo Eddy

Submitted by Tommi a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2015

Strengths:    Ive ridden circa 1200 kms (750 miles) with these tyres on road and offroad, mostly forrest roads, but also tough rock roads. Rear tyre is clearly worn but still going strong, front tyre still in very good condition. Never had any issues, great tyre, great grip.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Strongly recommended

Submitted by Joost a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2015

Strengths:    it provides good grip on gravel, rocks and loose sand. They're light, but not worth the reduced durability

Weaknesses:    Have a flat every time I tike my bike out. Last four times I had flats, last time both front tire and back tire.

Bottom Line:
Got these tires on my new Scott Spark 750. Bike is amazing but Scott should really use different tires. These of Schwalbe are crap. Every single ride I took with them I had a flat. I ride with tubes not tubeless and am also not planning too. Will give it another go this weekend and if that doesn't work get rid of the Schwalbe's and put on some other tires. I'm not using the bike for racing, just for recreational riding. So want to have a tire that is durable.

Duration Product Used:   5 rides of about 50km

Submitted by 75Denver

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2015

Strengths:    Super light, tacky tire that holds great on hard pack damp conditions. Extremely fast rolling!

Weaknesses:    Tread construction, separation of casing, EXPENSIVE for what you get.

Bottom Line:
I'll start off with my rating of an overall 2. This tire earned an extra Chili because of its weight.

EVERYTHING related to material construction, awful! I put in under 30 miles on this set and noticed the sidewall treads beginning to chunk off. I talked to the shop who recommended them who was supposed to talk to their rep. Never heard back. Riding in the Northern Nevada semi-rocky terrain, I babied them over the rocky parts for fear of cutting the sidewall. After a couple hard nicks and nothing, I went back to my usual style of riding (semi-aggressive). In the end, I was left with a set of tires that had lost nearly all the sidewall knobs, a casing that separated (underneath lost knobs) and a wallet that took a hit without much reward. Don't buy these if your trails have small or medium size rocks…apparently these tires were built for hill biking rather than mountain biking.

Submitted by FredNo a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2014

Strengths:    Light, roll well on flat, dry, straight trails.

Weaknesses:    Terrible traction for climbing over rocks, roots and loose dirt.

Bottom Line:
I demoed a Scott Spark 29er that had these tires on it. I spun out climbing Bergen Peak Trail (about 10% average grade) in places that my 26er with Maxxis Ignitors or IRC Mythos tires never spun out (even when worn) even without shifting my weight for better traction. This is not a good tire for the hills of Colorado. I wouldn't even consider buying them.

Submitted by Osco a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2014

Strengths:    My 27.5 X 2.25 looks and feels like a big volume tire so it does well in sugar sand.
Pitched hard over while cornering these tires are very predictable.

Weaknesses:    A bit slippery on wet roots but as long as you ride light it's not a problem.

Bottom Line:
I am 185 pounds with a 100oz of water in my back pack plus trail gear and ride gear.
They seems to have trouble if I run below 28 psi in the rear or below 27 out front.
At 30 psi front and rear they become predictable and hold just fine.

Submitted by Scott G

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2014

Strengths:    None that I've found so far.

Weaknesses:    Side walls leak all over. Horrendously poor cornering.

Bottom Line:
Went my front rim failed on my Specialised EPIC I decided to try tubeless. Got Stans rims and on bikes shop advice bought the Rocket Ron for the front. First of all the tire kept on deflating within hours of it being pumped up. I was told this would settle down so followed advice and on day four went for a long ride. On a two hour ride I had to pump the tire up twice went it had dropped to below 15 psi. After a week I gave up and put a tube in it. Then I took it out to the local forest which is a little sandy, with some polished stones on the trail and loose surface gravel in parts. Previously I had Panaracer fireXCPro which stuck to the trail superbly and rolled incredibly well. The Rocket Rons are dangerous: the front wheel squirrels out from under you in anything apart from hard packed and it doesn't roll better than my old Panaracer tires. If it's damp/wet you should get dental insurance because you'll need it. Now I've read the other reviews which give the same poor reviews I'll be ditching this tire and putting the Panaracer back on. to add insult to injury the tire was £47 ($70) which is outrageous for how bad this tire is.

Submitted by Xmessenger a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2014

Strengths:    Lightweight, low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    Expensive , horrible on anything slightly damp that is smooth. Weak in loose conditions. Shoulder knobs wear readily.

Bottom Line:
I really thought this would be an awesome all rounder seeing how pricey it seems plus the tread pattern looked good. Unfortunately this is not a tire for BC conditions. Perhaps dry racing on typical XC type courses but absolutely nothing with a hint of wetness. I think it may be the Pacestar compound to blame because the design looks like a winner.
On my rides this is fine on the dirt but they spin on anything smooth like rock and roots, even if they are dry but the tire is a bit damp from earlier. I'll be putting back on my excellent but worn Maxxis beaver.

Favorite Trail:   Dump

Duration Product Used:   Several weeks

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Many others

Bike Setup:   29er hardtail

Submitted by mike leahy a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2013

Strengths:    light weight, supple, grippy.

Weaknesses:    don't hold pressure. not a true tubeless tire. poor durability. poor puncture resistance. massive tread squirm. basketballing at high cadences. leaking. unreliable. expensive.

Bottom Line:
These tires came on my 2012 Scott Scale 29er. On the rare occasion they worked, they felt great and ran fast. Mostly, it was failure after failure, with incessant leaking of latex sealant at the centerline of the tire. Schwalbe warrantied my first set and refused to warranty the second. They call it a "race only" tire and cite low durability and low puncture-resistance— pretty much worthless as far as I can see. I hate to be negative, but I struggled mightily with these tires and finally threw them away— good riddance! Rubber side down, brothers and sisters. See you out there.

Similar Products Used:   Geax AKA 29" TNT

Bike Setup:   Scott Scale 29er full-carbon hardtail

Submitted by biga6462 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2013

Strengths:    Fast, rolls well in all conditions

Weaknesses:    Cost

Bottom Line:
These came on my new 29er so I figured I would use them since MTB tires cost so much these days. This is by far the best stock tire that has been installed on a new bike purchase for me. It took me several rides to set up the front/rear pressure but now I am dialed in. I have used these on rock, sand, gravel, roots, and slick mud and so far I have no complaints. This is my first true race tire and I enjoy how fast these babies are. I don't expect them to last long but so far I have put on a lot of miles and have had no flats or noticeable wear. I also hope I can find these tires on sale when it comes time to replace.

Favorite Trail:   Madrone Trail

Duration Product Used:   2 Months

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson Python, IRC Mythos, Michelin All Mountain, Forte Sherwood, and a lot of junk Bontrager tires that come on Treks

Bike Setup:   Scott Scale 940

Submitted by Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2013

Strengths:    Fast, lightweight, good grip

Weaknesses:    Durability, price

Bottom Line:
The tire performs great for racing, it is fast, great cornering and a lot of grip. Unfortunately my pair ended after only 500-600 km. Also it's difficult to center as most Schwalbe tires, I am using soapy water.

Submitted by hkbugs

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2013

Strengths:    light weight, easy to run tubeless, good looking. fast.

Weaknesses:    never ride it in wet condition or any loose surface.
its completely rubbish in wet road.

Bottom Line:
running a 27.5 x 2.25 version and its really sucks. sold after used once and changed to maxxis ardent.

Submitted by Aidan

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2013

Strengths:    Good grip, fast rolling, light, easy to mount good all weather tyre

Bottom Line:
I have got this on the rear of my cannondale jekyll 2 all mountain bike. I run a nobby nic on the front and rocket ron on the rear they have replaced my hans damph. The rocket ron is a great all weather tyre that grips well in the wet, dry, loose and muddy. It is also very fast. I am runing the 2.25 and this is a good size not to big but not to little. I would advise the nobby nic rocket ron combo highly.

Submitted by Kevin A

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2013

Strengths:    Great on wet trails and road, lightweight and fast

Weaknesses:    Dangerous cornering when the rocky trails dry out, wear fast, puncture easilly

Bottom Line:
I bought a Scott Scale 29er 910 earlier this year and found the tyres great on the damp, wet and muddy mountain trails and brilliant speed on tarmac roads...

But then the summer came along, dried out all the trails which are now rocks, loose gravel and sand and the tyre has made me into a nervous wreck! I ride at 35psi and weigh 90Kg, have dropped to 30psi with no noticeable difference, on the descents I have to ride like a snail round corners and the unpredictability over rocks in general means I must change these!

I need a recommendation for a good XC (non-race) tyre for rocky, loose gravel and sandy trails before I go over the edge of a cliff!