Schwalbe Rocket Ron Tire

3.25/5 (53 Reviews)

Its tapered tread lugs give the Schwalbe Rocket Ron TL Ready Tire an uncanny ability to offer traction in mixed conditions, wet or dry. It's especially appealing here because the low weight of the tire underscores its intent as a race tire, designed to get you there first. With the Rocket Ron, you don't have to settle for fast or grippy -- you can have both. Compared to the Racing Ralph, the slightly more prominent blocks have been spaced a bit further apart to achieve more void space. This is part of the reason that it self-cleans in mucky stuff so you can continue to have traction to drive down the trail and keep the bike upright. The Rocket Ron uses Schwalbe's PaceStar Triple Compound, their fastest. Schwalbe engineers recognize that it's not possible for one compound to do it all, so they've combined three to optimize the tire's performance. The low-profile tread of the Rocket Ron is fast, and it's still an excellent cornering tire thanks to the U-Block shoulder tread. These tread blocks are angled at 20 degrees or so towards the outside of the tire. A small sipe doesn't quite divide the block, creating the "U" shape. They work to counteract the lateral forces endured when cornering to maintain traction and to keep the bike stable.This tire is designed to be tubeless ready (TL), which means you can say goodbye to pinch flats. A tubeless system allows you to run less air pressure, again enhancing the grip of the tire's tread. Better traction, less vibration, and no flats lead to a great ride. It's necessary to use a liquid sealant within the tire to seal the bead seat and to quickly seal thorn or debris punctures on the trail. The Schwalbe Rocket Ron TL Ready is available in 26 x 2.1, 26 x 2.25, and 26 x 2.4" widths. Please note: because Schwalbe has optimized this tire to be lightweight, patching in the event of puncture is not recommended.Tubeless 101: The Why and the How Explained.

Submitted by FredNo a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2014

Strengths:    Light, roll well on flat, dry, straight trails.

Weaknesses:    Terrible traction for climbing over rocks, roots and loose dirt.

Bottom Line:
I demoed a Scott Spark 29er that had these tires on it. I spun out climbing Bergen Peak Trail (about 10% average grade) in places that my 26er with Maxxis Ignitors or IRC Mythos tires never spun out (even when worn) even without shifting my weight for better traction. This is not a good tire for the hills of Colorado. I wouldn't even consider buying them.

Submitted by Osco a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2014

Strengths:    My 27.5 X 2.25 looks and feels like a big volume tire so it does well in sugar sand.
Pitched hard over while cornering these tires are very predictable.

Weaknesses:    A bit slippery on wet roots but as long as you ride light it's not a problem.

Bottom Line:
I am 185 pounds with a 100oz of water in my back pack plus trail gear and ride gear.
They seems to have trouble if I run below 28 psi in the rear or below 27 out front.
At 30 psi front and rear they become predictable and hold just fine.

Submitted by Scott G

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2014

Strengths:    None that I've found so far.

Weaknesses:    Side walls leak all over. Horrendously poor cornering.

Bottom Line:
Went my front rim failed on my Specialised EPIC I decided to try tubeless. Got Stans rims and on bikes shop advice bought the Rocket Ron for the front. First of all the tire kept on deflating within hours of it being pumped up. I was told this would settle down so followed advice and on day four went for a long ride. On a two hour ride I had to pump the tire up twice went it had dropped to below 15 psi. After a week I gave up and put a tube in it. Then I took it out to the local forest which is a little sandy, with some polished stones on the trail and loose surface gravel in parts. Previously I had Panaracer fireXCPro which stuck to the trail superbly and rolled incredibly well. The Rocket Rons are dangerous: the front wheel squirrels out from under you in anything apart from hard packed and it doesn't roll better than my old Panaracer tires. If it's damp/wet you should get dental insurance because you'll need it. Now I've read the other reviews which give the same poor reviews I'll be ditching this tire and putting the Panaracer back on. to add insult to injury the tire was £47 ($70) which is outrageous for how bad this tire is.

Submitted by Xmessenger a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2014

Strengths:    Lightweight, low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    Expensive , horrible on anything slightly damp that is smooth. Weak in loose conditions. Shoulder knobs wear readily.

Bottom Line:
I really thought this would be an awesome all rounder seeing how pricey it seems plus the tread pattern looked good. Unfortunately this is not a tire for BC conditions. Perhaps dry racing on typical XC type courses but absolutely nothing with a hint of wetness. I think it may be the Pacestar compound to blame because the design looks like a winner.
On my rides this is fine on the dirt but they spin on anything smooth like rock and roots, even if they are dry but the tire is a bit damp from earlier. I'll be putting back on my excellent but worn Maxxis beaver.

Favorite Trail:   Dump

Duration Product Used:   Several weeks

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Many others

Bike Setup:   29er hardtail

Submitted by mike leahy a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2013

Strengths:    light weight, supple, grippy.

Weaknesses:    don't hold pressure. not a true tubeless tire. poor durability. poor puncture resistance. massive tread squirm. basketballing at high cadences. leaking. unreliable. expensive.

Bottom Line:
These tires came on my 2012 Scott Scale 29er. On the rare occasion they worked, they felt great and ran fast. Mostly, it was failure after failure, with incessant leaking of latex sealant at the centerline of the tire. Schwalbe warrantied my first set and refused to warranty the second. They call it a "race only" tire and cite low durability and low puncture-resistance— pretty much worthless as far as I can see. I hate to be negative, but I struggled mightily with these tires and finally threw them away— good riddance! Rubber side down, brothers and sisters. See you out there.

Similar Products Used:   Geax AKA 29" TNT

Bike Setup:   Scott Scale 29er full-carbon hardtail

Submitted by biga6462 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2013

Strengths:    Fast, rolls well in all conditions

Weaknesses:    Cost

Bottom Line:
These came on my new 29er so I figured I would use them since MTB tires cost so much these days. This is by far the best stock tire that has been installed on a new bike purchase for me. It took me several rides to set up the front/rear pressure but now I am dialed in. I have used these on rock, sand, gravel, roots, and slick mud and so far I have no complaints. This is my first true race tire and I enjoy how fast these babies are. I don't expect them to last long but so far I have put on a lot of miles and have had no flats or noticeable wear. I also hope I can find these tires on sale when it comes time to replace.

Favorite Trail:   Madrone Trail

Duration Product Used:   2 Months

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson Python, IRC Mythos, Michelin All Mountain, Forte Sherwood, and a lot of junk Bontrager tires that come on Treks

Bike Setup:   Scott Scale 940

Submitted by Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2013

Strengths:    Fast, lightweight, good grip

Weaknesses:    Durability, price

Bottom Line:
The tire performs great for racing, it is fast, great cornering and a lot of grip. Unfortunately my pair ended after only 500-600 km. Also it's difficult to center as most Schwalbe tires, I am using soapy water.

Submitted by hkbugs

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2013

Strengths:    light weight, easy to run tubeless, good looking. fast.

Weaknesses:    never ride it in wet condition or any loose surface.
its completely rubbish in wet road.

Bottom Line:
running a 27.5 x 2.25 version and its really sucks. sold after used once and changed to maxxis ardent.

Submitted by Aidan

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2013

Strengths:    Good grip, fast rolling, light, easy to mount good all weather tyre

Bottom Line:
I have got this on the rear of my cannondale jekyll 2 all mountain bike. I run a nobby nic on the front and rocket ron on the rear they have replaced my hans damph. The rocket ron is a great all weather tyre that grips well in the wet, dry, loose and muddy. It is also very fast. I am runing the 2.25 and this is a good size not to big but not to little. I would advise the nobby nic rocket ron combo highly.

Submitted by Kevin A

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2013

Strengths:    Great on wet trails and road, lightweight and fast

Weaknesses:    Dangerous cornering when the rocky trails dry out, wear fast, puncture easilly

Bottom Line:
I bought a Scott Scale 29er 910 earlier this year and found the tyres great on the damp, wet and muddy mountain trails and brilliant speed on tarmac roads...

But then the summer came along, dried out all the trails which are now rocks, loose gravel and sand and the tyre has made me into a nervous wreck! I ride at 35psi and weigh 90Kg, have dropped to 30psi with no noticeable difference, on the descents I have to ride like a snail round corners and the unpredictability over rocks in general means I must change these!

I need a recommendation for a good XC (non-race) tyre for rocky, loose gravel and sandy trails before I go over the edge of a cliff!

Submitted by Phil

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2013

Strengths:    Low weight, smoothness on the go (only on hardpack)

Weaknesses:    Puncture easily, wear fast, very poor cornering (dangerous on loose stuff)

Bottom Line:
Rocket Rons came as OE on my scott scale elite 29"; the bike is really fast, partly thanks to the low weight of tires, but they get punctured over and over again. They also wear fast and the knobs become smaller quite quickly, so even the poor cornering of a new tire gets lost pretty soon. Cornering on anything loose is dangerous if You don't slow down, which means You loose speed and energy. I want to switch to maxxis ardent 29x2.25, or maybe 29x2.4 up in front. Will see. Kind Regards, Phil

Submitted by psuthe a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2013

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    cornering on loose stuff

Bottom Line:
I have run these on two bikes and had similar experience on both: I run them tubed at 40psi which makes them very scary on cornering, especially if it is at all loose. I have not set them up tubeless, but I would imagine they do better at a lower psi. As far as a back tire goes, they seem fine, but only have average durability.

Favorite Trail:   Towers

Similar Products Used:   WTB, Continental

Bike Setup:   Niner Jet 9 RDO, BMC Speedfox SF29

Submitted by Ron

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2012

Strengths:    Very, very light. Look Good.

Weaknesses:    Wear incredibly fast. Take forever to seal when running tubless. Front tire deforms significantly on obstacles, even at 32 psi.

Bottom Line:
I am aware that this is a very light tire that is really best suited for racing. That being said, I bought a new bike and it had RRs front and back. 2.35 front and 2.1 respectively. I wouldn't expect them to stand up to a full season of ground pounding riding. I was a little shocked though when they showed serious signs of wear after about 50-75 miles of riding. At 200 miles the back tire was shot. Almost bald, and certainly too bald to ride with any confidence. Trails were a mix of loamy tacky to begin with, followed by harder pack and dusty as things dried out.

And that is not even mentioning how ridiculously long it took these tires to seal completely. The sidewalls are very porous - I could actually see the sealant coming out of the sidewall for weeks. The 2.35 sealed after about 10 rides and God knows how many shake, rotates, and lay down procedures. The back tire took waaayyyy longer. And even after I considered them sealed, they still would lose 10psi overnight. At least they would get me through my ride though.

Will not be purchasing Schwalbes again. A shame to, since it was so cool to have my name on the tire....

Submitted by Barry Losow

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2012

Strengths:    Really light weight, good grip in most conditions

Weaknesses:    Widest is 2.25. Supposed lack of durability?

Bottom Line:
After a year riding Hans Damfs. I wanted a lighter tire with equal grip. I ride technical east coast single track. The rocket Ron's are much lighter and quicker. The grip is not quite as good but the break away is predictable and they have not scared me at all. They have not made me crash any more than normal and I have not had any flats yet. I ride with tubes. Overall they are great light weight tires.

Submitted by Stumpjumpy a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2012

Strengths:    Super lightweight, high grip, yet very fast-rolling, high volume supple carcass, outstanding feel and handling, did I say FAST?! If you like to shred fast singletrack at warp speed - this is what you want to do it on.

Weaknesses:    True race tire that hates sharp rocks - sidewalls cut easily and knobs rip/tear/wear easily. This tire is designed to win XC races. PERIOD. Nothing else. Folks looking for a durable bruiser for exploring the rocky outback need not apply.

Bottom Line:
This tire is ideal for its intended purpose - XC racing in all conditions. I've run the EVO compound tubeless for the last 6 months or so in the mid-atlantic. Middle Run/WCC, Schaeffer Farm, Fairhill, Fountainhead, etc. Changes direction and shreds moist singletrack like on rails. AMAZING tire. Fast light and grippy. Likes extreme lean angles and breaks-away predictably. Sheds muck well. Great breaking/handling tire with minimal rolling resistance, and the super lightweight means it spools-up effortlessly for rapid acceleration. The high volume allows low PSI - I like it in the 24-28 psi range for my 215 lbs.

Although a "race day" tire, I ride mine recreationally/training, as well. Not very rocky in my parts, minimal street riding, and the tires have held-up quite well (600 miles w/ life remainng). I did cut one sidewall on a rocky descent on unfamiliar trail (Brandywine) - but that's it.

The knobs are soft and the sidewalls ultra thin (this = grippy ultra-light tire, duh) - if you ride in gravel pits and rocky terrain, you need to keep looking.

Bottom line: you will not find a higher-performing XC tire for most conditions.

Favorite Trail:   White Clay Creek, Middle Run

Duration Product Used:   6-8 months

Similar Products Used:   racing ralph, nobby nic, Kenda Excavator, Kenda slant 6, Panaracer Smoke

Bike Setup:   '11 C'dale RZ 120-2,

Rocket Ron tire rotation?

I am replacing my Rocket Ron's 29x2.25 with a new set of Rocket Ron's 29x2.25 On my old tires it has directional signals which show the following: Pretty obvious. On the new set however it only reads: Rotation--> There is no Front/Rear anymore. Does this mean they changed their ... Read More »

Nobby Nic Front & Rocket Ron Rear - Am I going to regret doing this?

I've just built a new frame up and am trying to get it dialed in. I had a Hans Dampf up front and a Nobby Nic in the rear, but the bike felt a bit sluggish. I've now moved the NN forward and put a Rocket Ron snakeskin TL on the rear. The total weight savings is over 300 grams. Will this featherw ... Read More »

rocket Ron or racing Ralph for rear?

For my 650b converted Mojo SL. Can not use tall tire because it will not fit. My rear tire is now conti xking 2.2 protection, been over 6 mths, not much thread left. Front is NN 2.35, still has good life. I don't have experience with both Roro or Rara. I'm planning to get the snakeskin version 2 ... Read More »

Racing Ralph vs Rocket Ron vs..... Spec Fast Trak - my experience

This is just my experience and opinion with these 29er tires, so YMMV of course, but I wanted to start this thread because people (including myself) are always debating between the Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron as a front tire for XC racing. I like them both, but have found a new favorite - the Speci ... Read More »

Specialized Ground Control Vs Schwalbe Rocket Ron

This is for the front of a dirt jumper. The place I ride has deep powder at the end of the summer. Currently the front has Nobby Nic soft compound that is toast, the side knobs are shredded. This tire saved me a few times loosing the front at high speed in the powder, where smaller knob tires before ... Read More »