Schwalbe Rocket Ron Tire

3.35/5 (49 Reviews)

Its tapered tread lugs give the Schwalbe Rocket Ron TL Ready Tire an uncanny ability to offer traction in mixed conditions, wet or dry. It's especially appealing here because the low weight of the tire underscores its intent as a race tire, designed to get you there first. With the Rocket Ron, you don't have to settle for fast or grippy -- you can have both. Compared to the Racing Ralph, the slightly more prominent blocks have been spaced a bit further apart to achieve more void space. This is part of the reason that it self-cleans in mucky stuff so you can continue to have traction to drive down the trail and keep the bike upright. The Rocket Ron uses Schwalbe's PaceStar Triple Compound, their fastest. Schwalbe engineers recognize that it's not possible for one compound to do it all, so they've combined three to optimize the tire's performance. The low-profile tread of the Rocket Ron is fast, and it's still an excellent cornering tire thanks to the U-Block shoulder tread. These tread blocks are angled at 20 degrees or so towards the outside of the tire. A small sipe doesn't quite divide the block, creating the "U" shape. They work to counteract the lateral forces endured when cornering to maintain traction and to keep the bike stable.This tire is designed to be tubeless ready (TL), which means you can say goodbye to pinch flats. A tubeless system allows you to run less air pressure, again enhancing the grip of the tire's tread. Better traction, less vibration, and no flats lead to a great ride. It's necessary to use a liquid sealant within the tire to seal the bead seat and to quickly seal thorn or debris punctures on the trail. The Schwalbe Rocket Ron TL Ready is available in 26 x 2.1, 26 x 2.25, and 26 x 2.4" widths. Please note: because Schwalbe has optimized this tire to be lightweight, patching in the event of puncture is not recommended.Tubeless 101: The Why and the How Explained.

Submitted by mike leahy a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2013

Strengths:    light weight, supple, grippy.

Weaknesses:    don't hold pressure. not a true tubeless tire. poor durability. poor puncture resistance. massive tread squirm. basketballing at high cadences. leaking. unreliable. expensive.

Bottom Line:
These tires came on my 2012 Scott Scale 29er. On the rare occasion they worked, they felt great and ran fast. Mostly, it was failure after failure, with incessant leaking of latex sealant at the centerline of the tire. Schwalbe warrantied my first set and refused to warranty the second. They call it a "race only" tire and cite low durability and low puncture-resistance— pretty much worthless as far as I can see. I hate to be negative, but I struggled mightily with these tires and finally threw them away— good riddance! Rubber side down, brothers and sisters. See you out there.

Similar Products Used:   Geax AKA 29" TNT

Bike Setup:   Scott Scale 29er full-carbon hardtail

Submitted by biga6462 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2013

Strengths:    Fast, rolls well in all conditions

Weaknesses:    Cost

Bottom Line:
These came on my new 29er so I figured I would use them since MTB tires cost so much these days. This is by far the best stock tire that has been installed on a new bike purchase for me. It took me several rides to set up the front/rear pressure but now I am dialed in. I have used these on rock, sand, gravel, roots, and slick mud and so far I have no complaints. This is my first true race tire and I enjoy how fast these babies are. I don't expect them to last long but so far I have put on a lot of miles and have had no flats or noticeable wear. I also hope I can find these tires on sale when it comes time to replace.

Favorite Trail:   Madrone Trail

Duration Product Used:   2 Months

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson Python, IRC Mythos, Michelin All Mountain, Forte Sherwood, and a lot of junk Bontrager tires that come on Treks

Bike Setup:   Scott Scale 940

Submitted by Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2013

Strengths:    Fast, lightweight, good grip

Weaknesses:    Durability, price

Bottom Line:
The tire performs great for racing, it is fast, great cornering and a lot of grip. Unfortunately my pair ended after only 500-600 km. Also it's difficult to center as most Schwalbe tires, I am using soapy water.

Submitted by hkbugs

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2013

Strengths:    light weight, easy to run tubeless, good looking. fast.

Weaknesses:    never ride it in wet condition or any loose surface.
its completely rubbish in wet road.

Bottom Line:
running a 27.5 x 2.25 version and its really sucks. sold after used once and changed to maxxis ardent.

Submitted by Aidan

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2013

Strengths:    Good grip, fast rolling, light, easy to mount good all weather tyre

Bottom Line:
I have got this on the rear of my cannondale jekyll 2 all mountain bike. I run a nobby nic on the front and rocket ron on the rear they have replaced my hans damph. The rocket ron is a great all weather tyre that grips well in the wet, dry, loose and muddy. It is also very fast. I am runing the 2.25 and this is a good size not to big but not to little. I would advise the nobby nic rocket ron combo highly.

Submitted by Kevin A

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2013

Strengths:    Great on wet trails and road, lightweight and fast

Weaknesses:    Dangerous cornering when the rocky trails dry out, wear fast, puncture easilly

Bottom Line:
I bought a Scott Scale 29er 910 earlier this year and found the tyres great on the damp, wet and muddy mountain trails and brilliant speed on tarmac roads...

But then the summer came along, dried out all the trails which are now rocks, loose gravel and sand and the tyre has made me into a nervous wreck! I ride at 35psi and weigh 90Kg, have dropped to 30psi with no noticeable difference, on the descents I have to ride like a snail round corners and the unpredictability over rocks in general means I must change these!

I need a recommendation for a good XC (non-race) tyre for rocky, loose gravel and sandy trails before I go over the edge of a cliff!

Submitted by Phil

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2013

Strengths:    Low weight, smoothness on the go (only on hardpack)

Weaknesses:    Puncture easily, wear fast, very poor cornering (dangerous on loose stuff)

Bottom Line:
Rocket Rons came as OE on my scott scale elite 29"; the bike is really fast, partly thanks to the low weight of tires, but they get punctured over and over again. They also wear fast and the knobs become smaller quite quickly, so even the poor cornering of a new tire gets lost pretty soon. Cornering on anything loose is dangerous if You don't slow down, which means You loose speed and energy. I want to switch to maxxis ardent 29x2.25, or maybe 29x2.4 up in front. Will see. Kind Regards, Phil

Submitted by psuthe a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2013

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    cornering on loose stuff

Bottom Line:
I have run these on two bikes and had similar experience on both: I run them tubed at 40psi which makes them very scary on cornering, especially if it is at all loose. I have not set them up tubeless, but I would imagine they do better at a lower psi. As far as a back tire goes, they seem fine, but only have average durability.

Favorite Trail:   Towers

Similar Products Used:   WTB, Continental

Bike Setup:   Niner Jet 9 RDO, BMC Speedfox SF29

Submitted by Ron

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2012

Strengths:    Very, very light. Look Good.

Weaknesses:    Wear incredibly fast. Take forever to seal when running tubless. Front tire deforms significantly on obstacles, even at 32 psi.

Bottom Line:
I am aware that this is a very light tire that is really best suited for racing. That being said, I bought a new bike and it had RRs front and back. 2.35 front and 2.1 respectively. I wouldn't expect them to stand up to a full season of ground pounding riding. I was a little shocked though when they showed serious signs of wear after about 50-75 miles of riding. At 200 miles the back tire was shot. Almost bald, and certainly too bald to ride with any confidence. Trails were a mix of loamy tacky to begin with, followed by harder pack and dusty as things dried out.

And that is not even mentioning how ridiculously long it took these tires to seal completely. The sidewalls are very porous - I could actually see the sealant coming out of the sidewall for weeks. The 2.35 sealed after about 10 rides and God knows how many shake, rotates, and lay down procedures. The back tire took waaayyyy longer. And even after I considered them sealed, they still would lose 10psi overnight. At least they would get me through my ride though.

Will not be purchasing Schwalbes again. A shame to, since it was so cool to have my name on the tire....

Submitted by Barry Losow

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2012

Strengths:    Really light weight, good grip in most conditions

Weaknesses:    Widest is 2.25. Supposed lack of durability?

Bottom Line:
After a year riding Hans Damfs. I wanted a lighter tire with equal grip. I ride technical east coast single track. The rocket Ron's are much lighter and quicker. The grip is not quite as good but the break away is predictable and they have not scared me at all. They have not made me crash any more than normal and I have not had any flats yet. I ride with tubes. Overall they are great light weight tires.

Submitted by Stumpjumpy a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2012

Strengths:    Super lightweight, high grip, yet very fast-rolling, high volume supple carcass, outstanding feel and handling, did I say FAST?! If you like to shred fast singletrack at warp speed - this is what you want to do it on.

Weaknesses:    True race tire that hates sharp rocks - sidewalls cut easily and knobs rip/tear/wear easily. This tire is designed to win XC races. PERIOD. Nothing else. Folks looking for a durable bruiser for exploring the rocky outback need not apply.

Bottom Line:
This tire is ideal for its intended purpose - XC racing in all conditions. I've run the EVO compound tubeless for the last 6 months or so in the mid-atlantic. Middle Run/WCC, Schaeffer Farm, Fairhill, Fountainhead, etc. Changes direction and shreds moist singletrack like on rails. AMAZING tire. Fast light and grippy. Likes extreme lean angles and breaks-away predictably. Sheds muck well. Great breaking/handling tire with minimal rolling resistance, and the super lightweight means it spools-up effortlessly for rapid acceleration. The high volume allows low PSI - I like it in the 24-28 psi range for my 215 lbs.

Although a "race day" tire, I ride mine recreationally/training, as well. Not very rocky in my parts, minimal street riding, and the tires have held-up quite well (600 miles w/ life remainng). I did cut one sidewall on a rocky descent on unfamiliar trail (Brandywine) - but that's it.

The knobs are soft and the sidewalls ultra thin (this = grippy ultra-light tire, duh) - if you ride in gravel pits and rocky terrain, you need to keep looking.

Bottom line: you will not find a higher-performing XC tire for most conditions.

Favorite Trail:   White Clay Creek, Middle Run

Duration Product Used:   6-8 months

Similar Products Used:   racing ralph, nobby nic, Kenda Excavator, Kenda slant 6, Panaracer Smoke

Bike Setup:   '11 C'dale RZ 120-2,

Submitted by Maximo Lefebvre

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2012

Strengths:    Grip, rolling speed, weight

Weaknesses:    price

Bottom Line:
I've read some other reviews that give these tires 1 chili with very unimpressed people. All I have to say is "What are you talking about??" I threw these things on my 29er hardtail and I have to say they stick like glue, cornering, out of the saddle steep climbs, flying downhill, they do it all. At first I was concerned about the rolling resistance due to the large blocks, not so, they fly up and down the trail. Out of the 20 or so different tires I've ridden in my 15 year career they shine. Love them...they are kind of expensive though :-)

Submitted by erin

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2012

Strengths:    Looks nice, mounts easily on UST rims, including Stans, rolls fine in rear.

Weaknesses:    Second ride in XC terrain tore a 1" rip in the EVO sidewall. This was a simple training ride on a smooth, dusty, cross-country trail. Sidewall failed immediately after cornering in very light, loose rocks over hardpack.

Bottom Line:
I ride in moderate terrain and have only split sidewalls when I slam the rear around in granite or sandstone on very old tires. This split happened under the most mild conditions. It was a vertical tear and the sidewall was like wet paper. Given that I ride miles away from the parking lot I will never use this brand again. I ride in moderate terrain and have only split sidewalls when I slam the rear around in granite or sandstone on very old tires. This split happened under the most mild conditions. It was a vertical tear and the sidewall was like wet paper. Given that I ride miles away from the parking lot I will never use this brand again.

Submitted by Dr Johan Coetzee a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2012

Strengths:    poor

Weaknesses:    factory fault but bike shop dont want too change it.They say it is normal when the slime leakes out on the side walls .The bike is a marida 3000D 120 new.

Can you please give me feedback on this matter.Regards

Bottom Line:
I think the bike is greate but i am worried about the tyres

Favorite Trail:   soft

Duration Product Used:   1 week

Purchased At:   Cyclelab

Bike Setup:   marida 3000D 120

Submitted by Mathew a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2012

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Poor cornering
Poor grip
Poor durability

Bottom Line:
These tires came OE on my Scott Spark. First ride they felt washy and unstable in turns. I played with the pressure on future rides but couldn't get them to firm up - they always wanted to wash out on high speed or tight turns. Less than 200 miles and the peripheral knobs are starting to wear and peel off (no wonder they don't corner well). These tires may work well for recreational riding or tooling around town, but they are priced and advertised as performance tires. Not so.

Duration Product Used:   Less than 200 miles