Schwalbe Rock Razor Tire

The semi-slick Rock Razor tire is the fastest in the Super Gravity series. When fitted to the rear wheel it helps riders eat up any dry and fast route.

Submitted by lew242

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2014

Strengths:    Weight, speed, volume and grip. Matches up well to Hans Dampf.

Weaknesses:    Durability very disappointingly poor.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding the 700 gram snake skin version in 26 inch 2.35 variety.
The tread pattern is very square yet somehow the tire is pretty fast for its size yet bites, so in terms of the pattern it's a game changer for dry conditions, love riding with it in terms of the volume. Descends, climbs and does everything better than anything else as fast, in the dry.

Problem is killed it in six weeks, three to four rides a week and I'm really not even that hard on my tires, for a rear specific rock specific gravity tire it's truly woeful, I mean for a XC/trail tire maybe. So $90 a tire, eight a year...lets see so that is $720 a year just on rear tires! Holy cow, think of the beer I could get for that, or maybe a most of a new fork! I do ride on the road, and that wore off the middle stipes, but rock trails are ripping off the outer lugs. Soon it will be a huge hiss and game over, just like the old Nobby Nics I had.

It appears to be made from the same or similar '5 ride' gummi candy that the rest of their range is made from. Don't forget your spare tubes! The nutty thing is they call it Rock Razor, it aint gonna razor any rocks, so it is more apt to call it 'Rock Stubble'. I heard there is a Super Gravity version that might be tougher, but that's 900 grams, too heavy and too slow as I need to ride on the flat and up hill.

Please Schwalbe, make these in a 'performance' compound or whatever you use for Smart Sam, I want to keep using this tire, but it's just too soft and I might have to go back to Maxxis, just because otherwise I'll blow my Hefeweissbier budget on rear tires.:-(