Schwalbe Nobby Nic Tire

3.23/5 (106 Reviews)

The Schwalbe Nobby Nic SnakeSkin Tubeless Ready is a performance tire for the serious rider or occasional racer, combining unshakable grip with wicked speed. This version of the Nic is almost 10% lighter than its predecessor. Built using the blueprint from the Racing Ralph, the tire uses a unique knob spacing pattern to hold its line on steep loose climbs, and to decrease vibration at high speeds, allowing the tire to roll faster. A perfect choice for someone looking to train and race on one set of tires. Schwalbe Tubeless Ready tires have a specifically shaped and coated tire bead. This bead quickly seals on the rim and provides safer seating without the extra weight penalty of true UST tires.

Submitted by Jazz a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2014

Strengths:    - Nothing particularly stands out.

Weaknesses:    - I enjoy xc, dh and all-mountain riding. Over the course of my 1.5 seasons on these tires (mostly all-mountain riding), I have been especially unimpressed with the Nobby Nic's ability to grip in corners. Dry conditions, wet conditions, sand, roots. Doesn't matter. Definitely disappointed and can't wait to invest in a pair of tires with some bite.
- Don't wear great.

Bottom Line:
- Do not inspire confidence in corners. Not fun to ride. Unless you like to slide.

Duration Product Used:   1.5 seasons

Similar Products Used:   Panracer Fire XCs

Bike Setup:   2013 Giant Reign 1

Submitted by eddyb

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2014

Strengths:    Traction, cornering, width

Weaknesses:    Durability!

Bottom Line:
Really like these tires when I started out ... wide, cornered well, seemed to roll easily. But after only several weeks the side knobs began to separate from the casing. None tore completely off, but after three months they're all half torn off with loss of cornering ability. Overall, there's still a lot of tread left but needs to be replaced as it's become unpredictable. Probably the least wear I've gotten out of any tire, and one of the more expensive ones I've ever bought. Not a good combination.

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance

Submitted by Jérôme Tordo a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2014

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Grip, durability, traction

Bottom Line:
Not what you can expect from a tire when you like or love cycling and mtb.
Just good enough.
avoid

Favorite Trail:   Provence

Duration Product Used:   5 years

Purchased At:   ChainReaction UK

Similar Products Used:   Purgatory, Ground Control, Trail King, Vigilante, Wildgriper

Bike Setup:   Trigger Carbon 1 - Camber SW 2014 - Stumpjumper SW 2014 - Seven Sola - Ellsworth Epiphany

Submitted by Gianttrance2753

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2014

Strengths:    Fun if you like a very drifty, non grippy tire.
Predictable.

Weaknesses:    Very low cornering limits on dirt.
Very low cornering limits on road.
If your lean angle is too deep, you will loose traction fast.
Not a confidence inspiring tire.

Bottom Line:
Came as OE on my '14 Trance 3. I used to do a lot of DH, but recently got back into riding, these are probably the worst tire I've ever been on.

Very loose feeling on dry, dusty trails. If you get too much lean angle, prepare to catch the slide. The tire will lose grip very predictably though.

Take your time getting used to the limits of the tire. If your old tires were good on cornering grip, be prepared for absolutely god-awful corning grip with these. Better hope there is a nice berm to support you in the turn.

I would not recommend these.

Bike Setup:   14 Trance 3

Submitted by cobym2

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2014

Strengths:    lightweight, predictable traction, high volume

Weaknesses:    Weak sidewalls; unreliable as tubeless.

Bottom Line:
I've used two versions:

Version 1: Evo 2.35 PaceStar Triple compound TL ready tires.
Mounted on Crossmax SX, tubeless with stan's sealant.
I really wanted to like these tires. They were light, high volume (huge!), and had decent knobs. They mounted tubeless fairly easily, but took several shake sessions to hold air.
Traction was good as a rear tire, but tended to drift as a front. Predictable drift.
What killed this tire for me was the inordinate number of flats that plagued them. In the last few rides, I had a flat every ride. Their downfall are the thin sidewalls. There were several tiny holes/tears that still sealed (albeit tenuously) Eventually, I had half-inch sidewall tear on the rear that didnt seal. After 4 months of weekly use, they're toast. I could/would use them with tubes, but I've got other tires to try, so why tolerate them any further.

Version 2: Older model Nobby Nic 2.1 UST Evo.
Mounted on Shimano UST wheels.

Very difficult to mount on UST rims. Plastic levers are no use. I had to use steel DH tire levers to get them on. Airing up was straightforwad though, and they held air with sealant.
Though much smaller in volume than the 2.35, they had good grip. Much more reliable than the tubeless ready version. They hold air, and have sturdier sidewalls. I would buy these again, not the tubeless ready.

Submitted by durtsurf a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2013

Strengths:    versatile

Weaknesses:    front tire use

Bottom Line:
I would say the nobby nic is maybe the most versatile tire I have ever ridden. So much so that it really does not do very good at any one thing. It can be like a downhill tire but it's really not quite meaty enough. It can be an xc tire but I would only use it in the rear. It actually works pretty good for a rear tire. There are faster rear tires. The nobby nic has a real reliable skid. I have actually gone through s turns with the tire locked up. Dragging it through. It seems to pair very well with a specialized butcher on the front. That combo is great for trail riding/enduro or whatever but probably overkill for xc racing, although I am actually considering that combo for at least one early season race with a fair amount of mud, rocks, motorcycle tracks and occasional snow. But when it gets dryer I think they will be too slow. But if you like to rip it up on the downhills that's a great combo.
As a front tire the nobby nic was not very good. I would say it felt about as controlled as a rocket ron for instance, but the rocket ron weighs much less so why bother? It feels like a lightweight xc tire, but it is heavy and has big nobs (not good). I ran the nobby nic forward and backward and like the backward mounting better. That actually made it look normal as well. It is a good looking tire, and pretty light considering the size of the nobs but it just plain feels sketchy as a front tire when cornering. It just does not feel right to me. The specialized butcher felt much better in the front. I think it is party because of the soft rubber specialized is using.
So basically back tire only, and only for tough courses and/or technical riding where speed is not the primary concern.

Similar Products Used:   Specialzed butcher, bontrager mud x, wtb weirwolf.

Bike Setup:   Ibis Ripley

Submitted by Stump 29 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2013

Strengths:    Light(ish) AND grippy. Easy set up. Never think about it.

Weaknesses:    A bit expensive.

Bottom Line:
Best all around tire for type of XC riding I do.

Mounted tubeless fast with floor pump. Held pressure well after install.

Can run sub-20 psi and no issues.

It's not a boat anchor and it's not a slick.

Favorite Trail:   Stillwell Woods

Duration Product Used:   3 years.

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper EVO '13

Submitted by Martin a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2013

Strengths:    None, unless you consider constant puncturing and zero longevity a strength

Weaknesses:    Pathetic durability, wears out in no time, punctures on virtually anything other than Tarmac

Bottom Line:
Honestly avoid this tire at all costs. This is the worst POS tire I've ever used. Sidewalls are about as durable as an inner tube. Constant punctures (tubeless? Don't even think about it). I ride in SoCal, technical rock but not super aggressive; never seen anything like this piece of garbage in 15 years of riding. Even soured me on my LBS just for selling it to me. I will NEVER buy any product of any kind from Schwalbe again. Period.

Favorite Trail:   Ted Williams

Purchased At:   North of the border

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis minion, Velociraptor

Bike Setup:   Knolly Endorphin

Submitted by Switchback

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2013

Strengths:    Fast rolling, grips well on most terrain

Weaknesses:    Fast wearing, rear knobs starting ripping off after first ride on rocks

Bottom Line:
The tire works great as a front tire. I have no complaints. But on the rear the knobs ripped off after my first ride on rocks. I literally had no center knobs after a month of riding. Way to expensive of a tire to have that kind of wear.

Submitted by deenspeed a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2013

Strengths:    fast rolling, grip very well in all conditions from loose rocks, sand, to wet trails. nice and light also

Weaknesses:    Haven't really found a weakness yet

Bottom Line:
To me they are an awesome tire, i recommend these for anyone who has loose condition trails who want a tire that grabs

Submitted by Sablotny

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2013

Strengths:    Light weight for size, high threadcount, flexible casing, large casing (not 2.3" as advertised, but larger than some competitors). Roll impressively well on pavement and trail for such tall, burly central knobs

Weaknesses:    One flaw for me, but it was big enough for me to remove the tires: cornering knobs are very tall and flexible - you can easily fold them over with a thumb. What that means on the trail is that the cornering knobs will fold over, leading you to wash out suddenly during hard cornering. I want to keep my teeth and collar bones intact, so I'm off to the next pair.

Bottom Line:
Typically high Schwalbe pricing. I'd have no problem paying top dollar for superlative tires, but these are not it. Light, large volume casing, but wimpy cornering knobs that lead to dangerous wash outs.

Submitted by Kellen Swingley a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2013

Strengths:    Light, Grip (when new), easy to mount, no pinch flats, climb, sheds mud well, roll well on pavement

Weaknesses:    Wear fast, soft compound gets destroyed on pavement and rocks, expensive

Bottom Line:
These tires came on my 2012 Giant Trance. They worked for 3/4 of a season, then cornering became scary unless I ran them at 17psi. Threw on some specialized purgatory control 26x2.4, very impressed.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Purgatory Control 2.4

Submitted by Matthew

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2013

Strengths:    Came with new giant trance x2

Weaknesses:    Horrible tire. Already need new rubber after less than 10 rides

Bottom Line:
Do no buy or change immediately

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2013

Strengths:    Rear: Climb well when new.
Front: Held well when new.
Pretty fast rolling.

Weaknesses:    Wear very quickly. The side knobs get chewed up in rocky terrain.

Bottom Line:
I got the Nobby Nics on a new XC bike and they rode well for a while. It was hard to tell since it was a new ride, but they seemed sticky enough on the climbs and held fine on descents. I'm now at a half season with them - the rear is trashed and the front is very worn. I'm not that hard on tires but these are short-lived skins. There are much better choices out there, e.g. Kenda Excavators that grip well and last more than one season.

Favorite Trail:   Holy Cross

Similar Products Used:   Kenda, MTB, Specialized, etc. etc.

Bike Setup:   Yeti SB-66

Submitted by joe

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2013

Strengths:    Good sidewall, pretty easy to mount

Weaknesses:    Durability is horrible, outside knobs wear out from the inside out even before the center knobs wear out

Bottom Line:
Bought a pair of these in December of 2012. 29 x 2.25 top of the line snakeskin evo pacestar compound (the longest lasting) what a f'n joke. These tires suck. Complete ripoff. First, this bike shares duty with my single speed, so it only gets half the riding. These tires didn't even last 2 months of normal riding. The rear was bald and worse of all the outside knobs wear from the inside and when you corner at speed they simply fold over sending the rear sliding out when you need the traction most. I contacted schwalbe about this and they didn't even reply. Very dangerous for anyone not used to going with a slide. I came to expect it, so I just went with it. Don't waste your money on these, and I think it's the same with all of their tires. I have panaracer rampages' on my SS and they kick ass. Already a season an a half on em' and still going' strong.

Nobby Nic pacestar in wet conditions

Hi there, I was really happy with this tire (Nobby Nic 27,5 2,25 Pacestar compound) in dry conditions but now with the wet season I've realised the NN is really sketchy and scary riding in wet rocks....will the trailstar compound improve traction in wet conditions? Or could you recommend me another ... Read More »

Nobby Nic Front & Rocket Ron Rear - Am I going to regret doing this?

I've just built a new frame up and am trying to get it dialed in. I had a Hans Dampf up front and a Nobby Nic in the rear, but the bike felt a bit sluggish. I've now moved the NN forward and put a Rocket Ron snakeskin TL on the rear. The total weight savings is over 300 grams. Will this featherw ... Read More »

Presion de aire recomendada para llantas 27.5 X 2.25 Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evo

Buenas tardes amigos, Me pueden dar sus recomendaciones sobre la Presion de aire para llantas 27.5 X 2.25 Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evo si alguien tiene experiencia en ellas. y cual es su opinión en estas llantas.. Saludos cordiales desde Hermosillo, Sonora.Read More »

Good price on Schwalbe Nobby Nic SS TR 29er

Just saw this on nashbar seems like a good price. $45 bucks with free shipping at $49. [url=http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_573603_-1___204729]Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evo SnakeSkin TLR 29" Mountain Tire - Tires[/url]Read More »

27.5 Nobby Nic (2.35) or Trail King (2.2) for rear tire?

I've seen the listed weights show a 2.2 Trail King a little heavier than the 2.35 Evo Pacestar Nobby Nic. In my experience with a 26" Trail King (protection version, black chili compound) the grip is better with the Trail King. Any experience/thoughts on the comparative rolling resistance/overall ... Read More »