Schwalbe Nobby Nic Tire

3.2/5 (109 Reviews)

The Schwalbe Nobby Nic SnakeSkin Tubeless Ready is a performance tire for the serious rider or occasional racer, combining unshakable grip with wicked speed. This version of the Nic is almost 10% lighter than its predecessor. Built using the blueprint from the Racing Ralph, the tire uses a unique knob spacing pattern to hold its line on steep loose climbs, and to decrease vibration at high speeds, allowing the tire to roll faster. A perfect choice for someone looking to train and race on one set of tires. Schwalbe Tubeless Ready tires have a specifically shaped and coated tire bead. This bead quickly seals on the rim and provides safer seating without the extra weight penalty of true UST tires.

Submitted by Gwynn Lyell a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2015

Strengths:    Overall great high volume tire, the thing to remember this is a HIGH VOLUME TIRE!

Weaknesses:    At 137 lbs. this tire is way to bouncy for me due to its high volume. Perhaps if I ran it at 15PSI it would be better (I run tubeless strictly). If you want this tire buy the good ones, hand made, don't cheap out. FYI I rode some inexpensive Rapid Rob tubeless into the ground and had ZERO troubles with them. I expect this tire to do the same. I'm currently about to buy a Salsa El Mariachi with Nic's on it, I'll post later on my experiences with that, I plan to go tubeless, the only way to roll. 16 PSI front !8 Rear. Stay tuned.

Bottom Line:
Great tire for the right rider, not sure if its for the lighter rider like me.

Favorite Trail:   Everything in White Clay/Middle Run

Duration Product Used:   not yet

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   Rapid robs, Mountain King, Race King

Bike Setup:   Salsa will be 100% rigid initially.

Submitted by Thor

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2015

Strengths:    Starting grip on asphalt or loam

Weaknesses:    SAND!!! Turns, smooth rock

Bottom Line:
My first ride on these was in mild sand. I could not make a turn. On flat turns they wash out. On banked turns they drift. I thought it would be better on more loamy dirt trails. On absolute hero dirt, these tires will not grip as well as Specialized proprietary tires or my old Panaracer Dart and Smoke.
I thought since the front and rear are balanced in how poorly they grip, I thought I could learn to drift them. I have had several slow motion falls as the front tire looses grip in slow to kid speed turns. I have lost all confidence in what is an otherwise amazing bike (Trance 1).

Oh, when I tried to go tubeless, I found two holes in the sidewall of a brand new tire! (Under 50 miles in 3 test rides). New tires are on the way.

Submitted by LaCostaClydesdale

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2015

Strengths:    Tread patter seems to work well for my trails (dry, dusty, rocky So Cal). Weight is reasonable. I ride this as a rear tire. I have never lost a bead.

Weaknesses:    Does not hold air well. Wears very quickly. Visible sealant leakage along the smooth area between treads. Not on the side wall.

Bottom Line:
Very expensive at $80, wears too fast, casing is weak along the tread area, so there is visible sealant leakage. Tread pattern is good and its relative low weight for an All Mountain tread. Unless you are a racer or weight weenie with unlimited budget, don't invest in these.

Submitted by Jazz a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2014

Strengths:    - Nothing particularly stands out.

Weaknesses:    - I enjoy xc, dh and all-mountain riding. Over the course of my 1.5 seasons on these tires (mostly all-mountain riding), I have been especially unimpressed with the Nobby Nic's ability to grip in corners. Dry conditions, wet conditions, sand, roots. Doesn't matter. Definitely disappointed and can't wait to invest in a pair of tires with some bite.
- Don't wear great.

Bottom Line:
- Do not inspire confidence in corners. Not fun to ride. Unless you like to slide.

Duration Product Used:   1.5 seasons

Similar Products Used:   Panracer Fire XCs

Bike Setup:   2013 Giant Reign 1

Submitted by eddyb

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2014

Strengths:    Traction, cornering, width

Weaknesses:    Durability!

Bottom Line:
Really like these tires when I started out ... wide, cornered well, seemed to roll easily. But after only several weeks the side knobs began to separate from the casing. None tore completely off, but after three months they're all half torn off with loss of cornering ability. Overall, there's still a lot of tread left but needs to be replaced as it's become unpredictable. Probably the least wear I've gotten out of any tire, and one of the more expensive ones I've ever bought. Not a good combination.

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance

Submitted by Jérôme Tordo a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2014

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Grip, durability, traction

Bottom Line:
Not what you can expect from a tire when you like or love cycling and mtb.
Just good enough.
avoid

Favorite Trail:   Provence

Duration Product Used:   5 years

Purchased At:   ChainReaction UK

Similar Products Used:   Purgatory, Ground Control, Trail King, Vigilante, Wildgriper

Bike Setup:   Trigger Carbon 1 - Camber SW 2014 - Stumpjumper SW 2014 - Seven Sola - Ellsworth Epiphany

Submitted by Gianttrance2753

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2014

Strengths:    Fun if you like a very drifty, non grippy tire.
Predictable.

Weaknesses:    Very low cornering limits on dirt.
Very low cornering limits on road.
If your lean angle is too deep, you will loose traction fast.
Not a confidence inspiring tire.

Bottom Line:
Came as OE on my '14 Trance 3. I used to do a lot of DH, but recently got back into riding, these are probably the worst tire I've ever been on.

Very loose feeling on dry, dusty trails. If you get too much lean angle, prepare to catch the slide. The tire will lose grip very predictably though.

Take your time getting used to the limits of the tire. If your old tires were good on cornering grip, be prepared for absolutely god-awful corning grip with these. Better hope there is a nice berm to support you in the turn.

I would not recommend these.

Bike Setup:   14 Trance 3

Submitted by cobym2

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2014

Strengths:    lightweight, predictable traction, high volume

Weaknesses:    Weak sidewalls; unreliable as tubeless.

Bottom Line:
I've used two versions:

Version 1: Evo 2.35 PaceStar Triple compound TL ready tires.
Mounted on Crossmax SX, tubeless with stan's sealant.
I really wanted to like these tires. They were light, high volume (huge!), and had decent knobs. They mounted tubeless fairly easily, but took several shake sessions to hold air.
Traction was good as a rear tire, but tended to drift as a front. Predictable drift.
What killed this tire for me was the inordinate number of flats that plagued them. In the last few rides, I had a flat every ride. Their downfall are the thin sidewalls. There were several tiny holes/tears that still sealed (albeit tenuously) Eventually, I had half-inch sidewall tear on the rear that didnt seal. After 4 months of weekly use, they're toast. I could/would use them with tubes, but I've got other tires to try, so why tolerate them any further.

Version 2: Older model Nobby Nic 2.1 UST Evo.
Mounted on Shimano UST wheels.

Very difficult to mount on UST rims. Plastic levers are no use. I had to use steel DH tire levers to get them on. Airing up was straightforwad though, and they held air with sealant.
Though much smaller in volume than the 2.35, they had good grip. Much more reliable than the tubeless ready version. They hold air, and have sturdier sidewalls. I would buy these again, not the tubeless ready.

Submitted by durtsurf a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2013

Strengths:    versatile

Weaknesses:    front tire use

Bottom Line:
I would say the nobby nic is maybe the most versatile tire I have ever ridden. So much so that it really does not do very good at any one thing. It can be like a downhill tire but it's really not quite meaty enough. It can be an xc tire but I would only use it in the rear. It actually works pretty good for a rear tire. There are faster rear tires. The nobby nic has a real reliable skid. I have actually gone through s turns with the tire locked up. Dragging it through. It seems to pair very well with a specialized butcher on the front. That combo is great for trail riding/enduro or whatever but probably overkill for xc racing, although I am actually considering that combo for at least one early season race with a fair amount of mud, rocks, motorcycle tracks and occasional snow. But when it gets dryer I think they will be too slow. But if you like to rip it up on the downhills that's a great combo.
As a front tire the nobby nic was not very good. I would say it felt about as controlled as a rocket ron for instance, but the rocket ron weighs much less so why bother? It feels like a lightweight xc tire, but it is heavy and has big nobs (not good). I ran the nobby nic forward and backward and like the backward mounting better. That actually made it look normal as well. It is a good looking tire, and pretty light considering the size of the nobs but it just plain feels sketchy as a front tire when cornering. It just does not feel right to me. The specialized butcher felt much better in the front. I think it is party because of the soft rubber specialized is using.
So basically back tire only, and only for tough courses and/or technical riding where speed is not the primary concern.

Similar Products Used:   Specialzed butcher, bontrager mud x, wtb weirwolf.

Bike Setup:   Ibis Ripley

Submitted by Stump 29 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2013

Strengths:    Light(ish) AND grippy. Easy set up. Never think about it.

Weaknesses:    A bit expensive.

Bottom Line:
Best all around tire for type of XC riding I do.

Mounted tubeless fast with floor pump. Held pressure well after install.

Can run sub-20 psi and no issues.

It's not a boat anchor and it's not a slick.

Favorite Trail:   Stillwell Woods

Duration Product Used:   3 years.

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper EVO '13

Submitted by Martin a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2013

Strengths:    None, unless you consider constant puncturing and zero longevity a strength

Weaknesses:    Pathetic durability, wears out in no time, punctures on virtually anything other than Tarmac

Bottom Line:
Honestly avoid this tire at all costs. This is the worst POS tire I've ever used. Sidewalls are about as durable as an inner tube. Constant punctures (tubeless? Don't even think about it). I ride in SoCal, technical rock but not super aggressive; never seen anything like this piece of garbage in 15 years of riding. Even soured me on my LBS just for selling it to me. I will NEVER buy any product of any kind from Schwalbe again. Period.

Favorite Trail:   Ted Williams

Purchased At:   North of the border

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis minion, Velociraptor

Bike Setup:   Knolly Endorphin

Submitted by Switchback

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2013

Strengths:    Fast rolling, grips well on most terrain

Weaknesses:    Fast wearing, rear knobs starting ripping off after first ride on rocks

Bottom Line:
The tire works great as a front tire. I have no complaints. But on the rear the knobs ripped off after my first ride on rocks. I literally had no center knobs after a month of riding. Way to expensive of a tire to have that kind of wear.

Submitted by deenspeed a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2013

Strengths:    fast rolling, grip very well in all conditions from loose rocks, sand, to wet trails. nice and light also

Weaknesses:    Haven't really found a weakness yet

Bottom Line:
To me they are an awesome tire, i recommend these for anyone who has loose condition trails who want a tire that grabs

Submitted by Sablotny

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2013

Strengths:    Light weight for size, high threadcount, flexible casing, large casing (not 2.3" as advertised, but larger than some competitors). Roll impressively well on pavement and trail for such tall, burly central knobs

Weaknesses:    One flaw for me, but it was big enough for me to remove the tires: cornering knobs are very tall and flexible - you can easily fold them over with a thumb. What that means on the trail is that the cornering knobs will fold over, leading you to wash out suddenly during hard cornering. I want to keep my teeth and collar bones intact, so I'm off to the next pair.

Bottom Line:
Typically high Schwalbe pricing. I'd have no problem paying top dollar for superlative tires, but these are not it. Light, large volume casing, but wimpy cornering knobs that lead to dangerous wash outs.

Submitted by Kellen Swingley a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2013

Strengths:    Light, Grip (when new), easy to mount, no pinch flats, climb, sheds mud well, roll well on pavement

Weaknesses:    Wear fast, soft compound gets destroyed on pavement and rocks, expensive

Bottom Line:
These tires came on my 2012 Giant Trance. They worked for 3/4 of a season, then cornering became scary unless I ran them at 17psi. Threw on some specialized purgatory control 26x2.4, very impressed.