Schwalbe Little Albert Tire

3.71/5 (7 Reviews)

The Little Albert is ideal for providing outstanding performance on shale tracks for both fearless soft and hardtail riders.

Submitted by Olivier a Cross Country Rider from Little Albert

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2007

Strengths:    What a grip !!!
excellent at braking

Weaknesses:    not the lightest
some rolling resistance compared to real XC tires

Bottom Line:
Really excellent everywhere, especially in loose condition. It loves wet rocks and roots.
I use it only as front tire in any condition.
I love it

Favorite Trail:   Anyone in Valais

Similar Products Used:   nobby nick

Bike Setup:   ...

Submitted by xtrsmith a Racer from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2007

Strengths:    This tire rolls smooth like a road tire and hooks up really, really well. I've been riding in california and have great results. Got the tire based on a recommendation and it's turned out to be the best 29er tire I've used. Great life and durability.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any.

Bottom Line:
For being a narrow tire, it rides like it's 2.75" wide. Highly recommend this tire. I hope they make it for a good long while.

Purchased At:   Cycles Unlimited

Bike Setup:   Serotta

Submitted by MARK from HENDERSON, nEVADA

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2006

Strengths:    Tough side wall, good tread pattern for a variety of conditions.

Weaknesses:    Low air volume for a 2.1

Bottom Line:
I posted an earlier review and this is a follow-up. I'm rating the 29er tire. The tire is holding up extremely well to the abuse tires are subjected to in Las Vegas (sharp Lava rock etc.). I can't believe how this tire has resisted getting torn open at the side wall and cuts that typically shread tires here. After 3 yeards of riding and racing XC here in Las Vegas, this is the first tire I will actually wear out. I've never worn out a tire here because of sidewall cuts and nobs being torn off. I think the previous review is and unfair rating that averaged in to lower the score these tires deserve. They were never meant to be a down hill tire so why rate them as such.

My only suggestion to Schwalbe on this tire is, make it in a true 2.1 or 2.2. The air volume is the only thing lacking in this tire.

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Klaw, Bontrager AC, Maxiss Ignitor, Bontrager XR, Conti Vapor

Bike Setup:   Titus Ti Racer X 29er & Titus Ti FCR 29er Single-speed

Submitted by da Vincy Trills for kills a Downhiller from Butuan, Philippines

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2005

Strengths:    good cornering grip on the front on tacky condition but not on loose soil, good for trails, good for climbing, fair stopping power grip, fast weels!

Weaknesses:    it ain't a pinch flat resistant when riding on xtrem rocky condition, still slip on loose rock condition, spikes on the rear get easily torn

Bottom Line:
these tires are good for trails but not too extreme, light for xc & fast. Not good for rockyz

Favorite Trail:   bon2x tower, dumalagan hills, alubihid manlangit, pinamanculan, pianing-atongalon/taguibo route

Purchased At:   Jedals sales

Similar Products Used:   continental slicky xc tires

Bike Setup:   dual attack mode/freeride, size '14' frame, shorty stem, dwnhill bar, 5" travel fork,flat pedals, agressive

Submitted by MARK a Cross Country Rider from HENDERSON, NEVADA

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2005

Strengths:    Just a very nice all around 29er tire. Good climbing, braking and cornering traction.

Bottom Line:
I have a fellow 29er friend who loved this tire but he experienced problems with side knobs failing. I met with a Schwalbe rep at Interbike. I wish I could remember his name. He was the most informative tire industry rep I've met. He explained that Schwalbe had one run of tires that were defective and guaranteed that I'd be very happy trusting the tires durability. I ordered a pair and have put them through the test. I live and ride in the las Vegas area. We have severe lava rock conditions that just shread tires. I have hit the side walls and raced wrecklessly through rock gardens on these tires. They are holding up to the challenge.

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Ignitor, Bontrager AC, Conti Vapor, WTB Nano

Bike Setup:   Titus Ti Racer X 29er & Soulcraft Holly Roller 29er Singlespeed

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from FoD, UK

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2005

Strengths:    OK all round on front

Weaknesses:    tore off side knobs on rear over rocky trail (Skyline/White's Level - Afan)

Bottom Line:
not as good as the Aligators on mud and roots but generally OK... but not up to rock steps etc...

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson Aligator, Nokina NBX, Wildgripper etc

Bike Setup:   Kona Kahuna

Submitted by Al Osorio a Cross Country Rider from Zurich, Switzerland

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2004

Strengths:    Does everything that is should in mountains wet or dry. Great Grip and very light. Only got one thorn that made it through to the tube in about 350 miles of pure biking in forest and mountains. OK, very good cornering in lose dirt.

Weaknesses:    Not the greatest rolling resistance. You can feel the knobs vibrate a bite when you are on the street. REAR TIRE WEARS OUT 3 TIMES as Fast as the original Conti Explorer did!

Bottom Line:
I live in Switzerland so the German brands are easy to get to at not a bad price over the net. I picked up the Little Albert because they are a hair lighter and cheaper in price compared to original Continental explorers. (Plus, Schwalbe still produces in Germany as opposed to far east) I am originally American so who really cares, but I thought I would mention that. The only major complaint is that these tires wear too fast. the Middle knobs in back tire look almost eaten because I assume the light weight means softer tire?? If you do 1000 miles a year of pure biking I don't think you will make it with only 2 sets of litte Alberts. I am going to pay the extra bucks and get the explorer's again.

Favorite Trail:   Engadin, Switzerland