Schwalbe King Jim Tire

• Application MTB - Multi Purpose Execution Folding Bead
  • ETRTO 60-559 Performance Light

Submitted by 1illenduro a Cross Country Rider from Whittier,CA USA

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2011

Strengths:    good traction on the rear,able to hook up on loose rocky dirt like the wall @7th ave.rolls fast

Weaknesses:    2.35 is actually 2.10.size is way off. @2.10 as front is little sketchy @speed.i like a good fatty for the front.

Bottom Line:
for the price you just can't pass them up if they're on sale.im going to give these 4 chilis since the size is way off but other than that pretty darn good tire.

Favorite Trail:   Turnbull 7th ave

Purchased At:   CL

Similar Products Used:   nevegal,weirwolf,ust nevegal,wtb prowler

Bike Setup:   spesh enduro on mavic sx,hayes trail

Submitted by Josh from Montreal, Quebec

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2005

Strengths:    Predictible in every condition except wet roots and rocks.

Weaknesses:    Noticibly different behavior in wet conditions

Bottom Line:
I moved to Montreal about 5 years ago and quickly hooked up with 4 riding partners from a local shop. When I moved here I had been riding mostly XC and was using Continental XCs (having come off the smoke and dart before that:)) I noticed that even though each of these four guys rode different bikes, they were all using some combination of Schwalbe tires. I've been riding strictly Schwalbe for the last three years and on King Jims for a year.

If you are looking to buy new tires. Look no further.

I've ridden the Skinny Jimmy, Jimmy, Big Jilm (It's actually Big Jim, Being a big Ween fan I have to call it
Big Jilm) King Jim, Albert, Fat Albert, Super Moto, Racing Ralph.

I'd like to get my hands on some Al Mightys and see how they are.

These tires are great all around tires that excell in so many conditions you will be willing to sacrifice the performance in wet conditions, but as far as I'm concerned, all tires suffer a decrease in performance when it gets wet. Get some and try them make up your own mind. Remember, nothings cooler than having about 30 pairs of tires in your workspace.

Similar Products Used:   Nokian NBX, Schwalbe Fat Albert, Continental Vertical Pro, Tioga DH 2.3

Bike Setup:   Kona Coiler Dee-Lux, Minute 2 up front and 4-Way Swinger in the rear. Crossmax XLs, Juicy 7s, XT, Truvativ Holzfellers, Ruffian lock on grips, Fizik Plateau saddle, Kona post, Salsa seat-QR

Submitted by Jen Levin a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2004

Strengths:    Lightweight 2.35 tire

Bottom Line:
I've used these as a front tire in SoCal for over a year. Relavitely lightweight for such a high volume tire (2.35).

They work realy well with Stan's (I've used them on Mavic 717's and Stan's ZTR rims).

I've had mixed luck with the soft compound version (front specific). Lost a lot of knobs on my my current soft compound version. Next time I'll go back to the regular compound -- that one didn't seem to lose knobs like the soft compound. (note: black ShoeGoo works great for patching broken knobs).

A little pricey so I'm giving them a 4 for value, but a 5 for being a great tire overall. I'll keep buying them since I haven't found anything else I like better.

Purchased At:   Schwalbe online store

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur

My Big Jim and King Jim rubber coming off..

I've had these about 6 months and 1-2 rides a week. Last ride I noticed a knob ripped off down to the casing and the side walls starting to 'hair' off. (the rubber coming off in long, hair like strands). The tires have lots of tread on them. It seems strange that they're both doing this. Has an ... Read More »

Wider ??? 2.35 King Jim or WTB Mutano raptor 2.4 ??

I really like the width of the Mutano Raptor 2.4's. Just feel like changing for the sake of changing. I just picked up some Big Jim 2.25 and thought they were pretty skinny. Thinking of using them in the back and putting on the 2.35's if they are comparable in width to the Mutano Raptor 2.4's. Wh ... Read More »