Schwalbe Hans Dampf Tire

3.32/5 (31 Reviews)

The fast-rolling Rocket Ron and tenacious Knobby Nic established Schwalbe's reputation for producing lightweight, high-volume tires. While these tires bridged cross country speed with all-mountain reliability, they suffered when the terrain got seriously aggressive. Hearing the cries, Schwalbe...

Schwalbe Hans Dampf Pro Review

The all condition’s mountain-bike tire, are tubeless ready with a non-directional tread pattern, and uses their tough SnakeSkin sidewalls, and was designed for dry and loose or wet and rooty and rocky terrain. The tires use their Triple Star rubber compound design, specifically the TrailStar version (High Performance Trail Ride Compound). I have been thrashing a set of Hans Dampf’s, which roughly translates to “jack-of-all-trades”, on and off for six months, and they’re a good all around tire with excellent durability. Continue reading →

Submitted by powderhound82 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2015

Strengths:    Good grip in most conditions, lightweight for their size and purpose

Weaknesses:    Durability

Bottom Line:
Running 27.5 x 2.35 PaceStar tubeless. Wanted to like these tires, felt faster to accelerate than the High Rolller IIs, and held traction in most conditions. Pricey, but can be found for a deal if you shop around. The durability was definitely lacking, knobs tore off easily, losing air before sealing, or just flatting completely. Granted, I'm a 200lb aggressive rider, but will be going back to the High Roller IIs

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegal, Maxxis High Roller II

Bike Setup:   SC Bronson C, X01, Pike RCT3 150mm, I9 torch Enduro wheels

Submitted by targnik a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2015

Strengths:    ...
*Low rolling resistance
*Good all round grip
*Looks sick!!
*Reasonably light weight
*Cut/Abrasion protection

Weaknesses:    *Packs up in mud
*Durability in/on rocky terrain
*Price (although I got mine on special)

Bottom Line:
A really good do it all tire (if you can find it cheap).

Looks like an AM tire should, big and burly... but very respectable weight wise.

Good grip in most trail scenarios (except full on mud).

Rolls pretty quick with the bonus of added protection.

Purchased At:   Torpedo7 (NZ site)

Submitted by Rudeor a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2015

Strengths:    Bite in really loose sand

Weaknesses:    Tall knobs squirm on hardpack or loose over hard, vague cornering

Bottom Line:
I bout this for full almost full retail from bike shop what was I thinking? Oh yeah I had pinch flatted a weir wolf in the rear while tubeless and needed another tire. Figured I would get another front tire and move the nevagal I had up front to the back while I watched for a deal on rear tires and took the nevagal off to use as a front when the hd wore out. Anyway nice large volume casing and gives confidence in the real rough and loose sections but a majority of corners in Reno Tahoe still have hardpack u can find in the summer. And when ur on that they arnt cool

Favorite Trail:   Mnt rose to flume

Duration Product Used:   Year off and on

Purchased At:   Black rock bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Other Mountain bike tires from specialized geax wtb etc

Bike Setup:   Caution arc welder at work. Do not stare, the light may blind you. On a trek ex 7 29

Submitted by AustinC a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2015

Strengths:    Big casing, good all around traction, at least for the first few rides.

Weaknesses:    Absurdly fragile rubber compound literally lasted a few rides before the side knobs were destroyed. Now I can't even feel good about selling them.

Bottom Line:
I bought a Devinci Spartan Carbon SX which comes with the SCHWALBE HANS DAMPF 27.5X2.35? TRAILSTAR SUPERGRAVITY TL.

As a disclaimer, I normally ride Minion DHF front and rear and I lean hard when I corner the bike so I load the side knobs a lot. But here's the thing - even in fairly soft Portland, OR area forest riding I totally shredded the side knobs in just a few days of riding, and then in the corners the Hans were a mess.

On the Thrillium DH shuttle I saw this tire on a lot of bikes, and the interesting thing is that on some bikes they looked fine and guys said they'd been running them for a while. So maybe it's a riding style thing.

But how can I like these tires when honestly after a few days of riding the knobs are barely still attached to the casing?

Similar Products Used:   Minion DHF

Bike Setup:   Devinci Spartan Carbon SX, stock except I'm running a Vivid Air R2C in back.

Submitted by Paul

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2015

Strengths:    Good for smooth dirt trails

Weaknesses:    Get ripped to shreds on rough rocky trails

Bottom Line:
I have about 20 rides in around Park City and Salt Lake and tires performed well. I went to Moab where I rode 5 trails and they are trashed. The side nobs are shredded and falling off. Clearly the compound is too soft for rocky terrain. These came on my new Devinci and I would say they were a very poor choice and they are not a good all round tire for a trail bike.

Submitted by Mats Andersson

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2015

Strengths:    Good grip.

Weaknesses:    These tyre pick up gravel and a lot of it ,my frame is blasted with flying stones.
This tyre is only good for trails not for gravel roads,

Bottom Line:
Not good for scandinavian gravel roads.other wise its grippy.

Submitted by lew242

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2014

Strengths:    Braking grip, roll-over capability, fairly fast rolling, light for size of tire, high volume, width as advertised

Weaknesses:    Terrible durability on rear, price, scrubby and sketchy on some loose-over terrain, doesn't rail but reasonable if ridden road moto style

Bottom Line:
Review for 26x2.35 Evolution trailstar and Performance

You'll notice that most of the reviews praising this tire are from people who have recently fitted them, long term reviews are much lower scores..

I've run the evo and the performance models of this tire and honestly this tire like most of Schwalbes current offerings as a rear tire is an absolute disaster especially in any kind of rocky conditions. Wears through very quickly the knobs can get torn off, often times it can happen on the trail and it get ripped through to the carcase with hiss and fountain of Stans fluid over everything, so you'll need to bring tubes. The performance version is better in terms of the side-knobs not ripping off, but still not particularly good in terms of wear.

However on the front the tire is simply a much better candidate, but quite what to pair it with is a struggle, although a Maxxis Minion DHF 2.3 TR EXO works very well. HD has an addictive volume and width and yet quite light, braking traction is great and the tire runs well on hardpack but can get very scubby on gravelly loose over (with an understeery feel). But braking is great down very steep terrain where other tires just slip.It's quite thin and IMHO it should only be run tubeless, as it is very likely to puncture with a tube in the slightest thorn-like conditions.

To sum up on the rear this tire is only good for racing, useless for training. The Performance version is much cheaper and offers 98% of the performance, try that if you want to check out these tires, especially on the rear. If you want to do training rides with this tire then simply be prepared to run it as front only unless the terrain allows.

For me the wear of this tire on the rear is just unaccptable, yet on the front it's perfectly workable, just a tad short. If I was a manufacturer I'd try to make tire compounds front and rear specific so that instead of the rear lasting 3 weeks and the front lasting 3 months they wore out at the same rate, meaning you could sell tires bundled as sets. This changing the rear every 3 weeks game is just too expensive for me, maybe its my terrain or that I ride very often, but other manufacturers make tires that grip very and last much longer.

Submitted by FarNorCal Rider

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2014

Strengths:    Traction. Roll well. Easy to set up on tubeless.

Weaknesses:    Wear too fast

Bottom Line:
I have been riding Hans Dampf on two bikes a 27.5 Intense Carbine 275 on Diablo rims and 29 on Salsa El Mariachi SS with Stans rims. I found that they set up tubeless like a snap and easy to mount. Love the traction. Issue I have found is that the side knobs tear with both the PaceStar and TrailStar compounds. When you start loosing those I question the corning ability that makes the a new set of Hans attractive. I find the the omni-directional pattern nice for mounting and makes for good drip and great rolling on smooth surface, but I have had the center nobs wear down on the rear very quickly with the PaceStar compound which makes for uneven wear and slippage at low millage use.

While the tire sets up easily with Stan's, I found that with puncture I did not get the flat protection you expect. Relatively small holes have left me putting in a tube to finish a ride on more than one occasion. These tires are not cheap on sale I have never been able to crack the $70 level. So they are like the BMW of tires, awesome brand new and fool you to thinking money well spent. But wear too easily. I have gone thru 2 sets on both bikes in a year. I am going to give a different tire a try.

Submitted by Lance Molinari

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2014

Strengths:    None. I spent 4 hours trying to get these tires to seat on a tubeless rim with no luck.

Weaknesses:    Will not work as a Tubeless

Bottom Line:
I bought a new 27.5 tire in the 2.2 width and the tire refused to seat to a tubeless rim. I am running Maxxis High roller 2 tires on the DT Swiss xr 1501 rims, that work fine but they are a little heavy. Mounted the Hans and it would not seat to the rim even with an air compressor. Took the wheel and tire to the local bike shop and they could not get it to seat. Works fine with a tube.
Trying to send the tire back to Schwalb for replacement. But I don't expect that to go well. Put the Maxxis back on the rim and it seated and inflated with a hand pump.

Submitted by FNG RIDER a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2014

Strengths:    Traction in sand, loose shale, dry and light dusty surface

Weaknesses:    I little slow but I am comparing it to my Rocket Rons; )

Bottom Line:
I ride a Yeti 575 Race the came stock with Rocket Rons, After the rear wore down I put the Hans Dampff 2.35 Trail Star compound in front and RR in rear. I noticed the Hanz Dampff's rolled a little slower. It took me a while to start appreciating how well it worked up front. It was stable in the loose, with the wider foot print. Also very grippy on loose broken shale, dry and dusty. I ride in SoCal so it is never wet. I will probably wear these out before the trails get wet again. The snake skin side walls are a plus for rocky conditions. I really don't notice the slower rolling anymore because of the confidence I have with these tires. I highly recommend them for all terrain riding.

Favorite Trail:   Sullivan Canyon and Back Bone

Duration Product Used:   1 yr

Purchased At:   Wheel World

Similar Products Used:   Rocket Rons, WTB Weirwolf , The Weirwolfs were my favorites for all around wet dry durability, wear. but they were a little heavy.

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575 Race XT drive train and brakes. Thompson Elite post, stem. Easton carbon bars. DT Swiss 1600 wheel sets. Hans Dampff 2.35 Trail Star front, Rocket Ron 2.2 rears

Submitted by championp a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2014

Strengths:    Unbelievable combination of weight, sidewall strength, fast rolling, unbelievable traction.

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
I have only had these tires a few weeks. Every time I ride these 26x2.35" trailstar/pacestar combo, I am happily surprised at how much traction they have. This trait is noticeable when climbing normally scratchy or slippery sections, braking and fast downhill, or railing through corners. I haven't had any knobs rip off like others have experienced. I've ridden hard and fast through sharp rocks up and downhill, but these tires only have a couple rides on them so time will tell. I got an "insider" deal on them and they were still as expensive as my last new tires were at full MSRP. If these last a full season here in northern Utah, I'm buying them again next year, even if they are so expensive. The traction is that good, they are one of the best upgrades I've ever experienced. Definitely my number one tire, and I've been MTN biking since 93.

Favorite Trail:   Unknown name in Park City

Duration Product Used:   3 weeks

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Ground Control, Eskar, Maxxis high roller II, Ardent, small block 8, minion DHR, DHF.

Bike Setup:   2010 Spec. Enduro Comp. Lyrik rc2l, Enve AM wheels, bars and stem, XO cranks, Spec. Command post black lite, stock everything else.

Submitted by NorCalRider a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2013

Strengths:    Traction. Omni-directional. Easy to mount.

Weaknesses:    a little slow

Bottom Line:
I am using these on Intense Carbine 275 with great success. I race and have done well for the season, reaching the podium 4 times and won a race series. These are fat burly omni-directional tires that are easy to mount and set up tubeless. I used the Trailstar in the front and PaceStar in the back. Pace does wear faster. I find they grip well in all types of conditions and soils and can handle some tough terrain. 1 punctures in 1000 miles using two different sets. So I find they hold up well. Got a 29in set for El Mariachi SS. I little heavier on the 29, but Ill trade it for the confidence in cornering. I find they roll fairly nice on flat even surface and pavement, but that is not what this tire is for. It is my go to tire. I really like that they are easy to mount unlike other tubeless tires. Don't have to struggle and bead holds quickly on tubeless set up. The snakeskin sidewall is a must to help avoid punters. I also have found that this tire is usually competitively priced compared to other brands. I

Similar Products Used:   Geax Saguaro

Bike Setup:   I

Submitted by TJ a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2013

Strengths:    They climb well. For me, THATS IT.

Weaknesses:    The faster you ride the less they hold. Dump them down in PSI to grip and pinch-flat-city! Nightmare to change on the trail. Ripped the nobs off the rear if a few rides and for what you pay for them.......... Worst tire I have ever had on my FSR EVO. :(

Bottom Line:
I ride a 2011 Stumpy EVO and have had a lot of tires on this bike. They do climb well on the slow grind tech stuff, but that is it. I was initially very excited when I got these tires (Trail compound) and over the next 5 months I had more front end wash-out crashes and flats than the previous year! I absolutely hated these tires by month 5. I even considered I was head tripped for some reason and just not riding well. I will concede - it could be my style or lack of style, however I cut all the intermediate nobs off my old 2.35 Kenda's and was back to bombing my favorite trail. Modified Kenda Nev's were faster and bit way harder in the corners and my new High Roller II's have brought things to a whole other level. In MY OPINION these tires really SUCK. In MY OPINION the High Roller II's are the best all-mountain tires I have ever ridden.

Weekend Warrior from SB County.

Favorite Trail:   Cannell and anything in the Southern Sequoia's!

Duration Product Used:   5 months (dumped them a month ago)

Purchased At:   Interbet

Similar Products Used:   Nevegal, Specialized, Excavator, High Roller II

Bike Setup:   2011 Stumpy Evo, reworked Fox 150's, grips and seat. Been a fantastic bike!

Submitted by Gilby a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2013

Strengths:    Easy to setup tubeless, adds to plushness of ride as they are big

Weaknesses:    Grip, Cornering confidence, price

Bottom Line:
After reading great reviews from a couple of magazines I decided to try a set of these fairly expensive tires. Now we all know that tire performance is directly related to dirt, conditions, air pressure and size so for this review I ride in eastern Canada mainly on twisty single track with lots of rocks and roots with a clay based soil that is often damp. I found these tires a total disappointment. Being billed as an all around tire I expected good performance in a variety of conditions. From my perspective these tires are very poor in the damp and wet conditions. They immediately pack up and are crazy slippery on any root (wet or dry). In nice perfect dry conditions they are okay, but tend when aggressively leaned into a turn they just just let loose. Plus they are still slippery on any roots or even pretty dry rocks. I have tried a variety of pressures so it isn't related to being too hard/soft. These may work somewhere, but for me I found them to be much less than acceptable and they wear out super fast which in my case is good so I can get rid of them. I have run a whole bunch of Kenda tires, Specialized Captains, Enduros, Rocket Rons, and plus others as a comparison on a SC XC Carbon Blur.