Schwalbe Hans Dampf Tire

3.39/5 (23 Reviews)

The fast-rolling Rocket Ron and tenacious Knobby Nic established Schwalbe's reputation for producing lightweight, high-volume tires. While these tires bridged cross country speed with all-mountain reliability, they suffered when the terrain got seriously aggressive. Hearing the cries, Schwalbe...

Schwalbe Hans Dampf Pro Review

The all condition’s mountain-bike tire, are tubeless ready with a non-directional tread pattern, and uses their tough SnakeSkin sidewalls, and was designed for dry and loose or wet and rooty and rocky terrain. The tires use their Triple Star rubber compound design, specifically the TrailStar version (High Performance Trail Ride Compound). I have been thrashing a set of Hans Dampf’s, which roughly translates to “jack-of-all-trades”, on and off for six months, and they’re a good all around tire with excellent durability. Continue reading →

Submitted by Lance Molinari

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2014

Strengths:    None. I spent 4 hours trying to get these tires to seat on a tubeless rim with no luck.

Weaknesses:    Will not work as a Tubeless
tire.

Bottom Line:
I bought a new 27.5 tire in the 2.2 width and the tire refused to seat to a tubeless rim. I am running Maxxis High roller 2 tires on the DT Swiss xr 1501 rims, that work fine but they are a little heavy. Mounted the Hans and it would not seat to the rim even with an air compressor. Took the wheel and tire to the local bike shop and they could not get it to seat. Works fine with a tube.
Trying to send the tire back to Schwalb for replacement. But I don't expect that to go well. Put the Maxxis back on the rim and it seated and inflated with a hand pump.

Submitted by FNG RIDER a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2014

Strengths:    Traction in sand, loose shale, dry and light dusty surface

Weaknesses:    I little slow but I am comparing it to my Rocket Rons; )

Bottom Line:
I ride a Yeti 575 Race the came stock with Rocket Rons, After the rear wore down I put the Hans Dampff 2.35 Trail Star compound in front and RR in rear. I noticed the Hanz Dampff's rolled a little slower. It took me a while to start appreciating how well it worked up front. It was stable in the loose, with the wider foot print. Also very grippy on loose broken shale, dry and dusty. I ride in SoCal so it is never wet. I will probably wear these out before the trails get wet again. The snake skin side walls are a plus for rocky conditions. I really don't notice the slower rolling anymore because of the confidence I have with these tires. I highly recommend them for all terrain riding.

Favorite Trail:   Sullivan Canyon and Back Bone

Duration Product Used:   1 yr

Purchased At:   Wheel World

Similar Products Used:   Rocket Rons, WTB Weirwolf , The Weirwolfs were my favorites for all around wet dry durability, wear. but they were a little heavy.

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575 Race XT drive train and brakes. Thompson Elite post, stem. Easton carbon bars. DT Swiss 1600 wheel sets. Hans Dampff 2.35 Trail Star front, Rocket Ron 2.2 rears

Submitted by championp a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2014

Strengths:    Unbelievable combination of weight, sidewall strength, fast rolling, unbelievable traction.

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
I have only had these tires a few weeks. Every time I ride these 26x2.35" trailstar/pacestar combo, I am happily surprised at how much traction they have. This trait is noticeable when climbing normally scratchy or slippery sections, braking and fast downhill, or railing through corners. I haven't had any knobs rip off like others have experienced. I've ridden hard and fast through sharp rocks up and downhill, but these tires only have a couple rides on them so time will tell. I got an "insider" deal on them and they were still as expensive as my last new tires were at full MSRP. If these last a full season here in northern Utah, I'm buying them again next year, even if they are so expensive. The traction is that good, they are one of the best upgrades I've ever experienced. Definitely my number one tire, and I've been MTN biking since 93.

Favorite Trail:   Unknown name in Park City

Duration Product Used:   3 weeks

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Ground Control, Eskar, Maxxis high roller II, Ardent, small block 8, minion DHR, DHF.

Bike Setup:   2010 Spec. Enduro Comp. Lyrik rc2l, Enve AM wheels, bars and stem, XO cranks, Spec. Command post black lite, stock everything else.

Submitted by NorCalRider a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2013

Strengths:    Traction. Omni-directional. Easy to mount.

Weaknesses:    a little slow

Bottom Line:
I am using these on Intense Carbine 275 with great success. I race and have done well for the season, reaching the podium 4 times and won a race series. These are fat burly omni-directional tires that are easy to mount and set up tubeless. I used the Trailstar in the front and PaceStar in the back. Pace does wear faster. I find they grip well in all types of conditions and soils and can handle some tough terrain. 1 punctures in 1000 miles using two different sets. So I find they hold up well. Got a 29in set for El Mariachi SS. I little heavier on the 29, but Ill trade it for the confidence in cornering. I find they roll fairly nice on flat even surface and pavement, but that is not what this tire is for. It is my go to tire. I really like that they are easy to mount unlike other tubeless tires. Don't have to struggle and bead holds quickly on tubeless set up. The snakeskin sidewall is a must to help avoid punters. I also have found that this tire is usually competitively priced compared to other brands. I

Similar Products Used:   Geax Saguaro

Bike Setup:   I

Submitted by TJ a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2013

Strengths:    They climb well. For me, THATS IT.

Weaknesses:    The faster you ride the less they hold. Dump them down in PSI to grip and pinch-flat-city! Nightmare to change on the trail. Ripped the nobs off the rear if a few rides and for what you pay for them.......... Worst tire I have ever had on my FSR EVO. :(

Bottom Line:
I ride a 2011 Stumpy EVO and have had a lot of tires on this bike. They do climb well on the slow grind tech stuff, but that is it. I was initially very excited when I got these tires (Trail compound) and over the next 5 months I had more front end wash-out crashes and flats than the previous year! I absolutely hated these tires by month 5. I even considered I was head tripped for some reason and just not riding well. I will concede - it could be my style or lack of style, however I cut all the intermediate nobs off my old 2.35 Kenda's and was back to bombing my favorite trail. Modified Kenda Nev's were faster and bit way harder in the corners and my new High Roller II's have brought things to a whole other level. In MY OPINION these tires really SUCK. In MY OPINION the High Roller II's are the best all-mountain tires I have ever ridden.

Weekend Warrior from SB County.

Favorite Trail:   Cannell and anything in the Southern Sequoia's!

Duration Product Used:   5 months (dumped them a month ago)

Purchased At:   Interbet

Similar Products Used:   Nevegal, Specialized, Excavator, High Roller II

Bike Setup:   2011 Stumpy Evo, reworked Fox 150's, grips and seat. Been a fantastic bike!

Submitted by Gilby a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2013

Strengths:    Easy to setup tubeless, adds to plushness of ride as they are big

Weaknesses:    Grip, Cornering confidence, price

Bottom Line:
After reading great reviews from a couple of magazines I decided to try a set of these fairly expensive tires. Now we all know that tire performance is directly related to dirt, conditions, air pressure and size so for this review I ride in eastern Canada mainly on twisty single track with lots of rocks and roots with a clay based soil that is often damp. I found these tires a total disappointment. Being billed as an all around tire I expected good performance in a variety of conditions. From my perspective these tires are very poor in the damp and wet conditions. They immediately pack up and are crazy slippery on any root (wet or dry). In nice perfect dry conditions they are okay, but tend when aggressively leaned into a turn they just just let loose. Plus they are still slippery on any roots or even pretty dry rocks. I have tried a variety of pressures so it isn't related to being too hard/soft. These may work somewhere, but for me I found them to be much less than acceptable and they wear out super fast which in my case is good so I can get rid of them. I have run a whole bunch of Kenda tires, Specialized Captains, Enduros, Rocket Rons, and plus others as a comparison on a SC XC Carbon Blur.

Similar Products Used:   too many to list

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz XC Carbon Blur, 120 Fox RLC 15 thru, 142 thru on the back

Submitted by wilsonblur a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2013

Strengths:    Good traction in the wet, easy Tubless set up, great cornering, good center traction, predictable, high volume, stable, reasonable weight for a 2.35

Weaknesses:    Wear out quickly. I rotated mine from front to back and got 370 miles here riding in Colorado and Utah. Once the knobbies wore down the casing began to get punctured. If you get the pressure too low they will squirm below 24psi IMO.

Bottom Line:
This is a good tire that works well in most conditions. I had a chance ride it in a wide variety of conditions from rooty, muddy and wet to slick rock, to the rocky chunder here on the front range. I thought it worked best in the wet. It wasn't as good on our rocks here as some other tires but it wasn't bad either. I really did like it, I just prefer Conti's Black Chili in every department. I got mine for about $45 a tire and had the Pacestar compound. They just wear too fast on the rocks here for the price. I had a set of Trail Kings with 460 miles that look much better except I wrecked the sidewalls. They work great as a tubeless tire.

Favorite Trail:   Mustang and Longhorn to Shorthorn

Purchased At:   HiBike

Similar Products Used:   Nevegal, Specialized Eskar and Control, Nobby Nic, Trail King, Mountain King 2, Albert Marathon

Bike Setup:   Nomad C, XT, KS, Easton Havoc's Lyrik

Submitted by Zvonimir Stamenov a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2013

Strengths:    Grip, durability, cut/puncture/snakebite resistant, performance on wet rocks

Weaknesses:    Weight, rolling performance, nothing too much, but I needed to put some more energy into pedaling than my friends on Nobby Nic

Bottom Line:
I own performance version for exactly a year now and I ride, almost everyday trail riding, mostly rocky terrain (Dalmatian krš). About 4000km (maybe more, maybe a bit less) and they are still holding up. Knobs are there, worn out, but they are there. I'm light class rider (65-70kg), so maybe that's some advantage. Last month I was running it with tubes because tubeless system wasn't holding air because of too many small cuts.

Now I have bought new pair, mounted TL system (Performance non-TL version + Fulcrum Red Metal 3) and it works like a charm. They are really great on this rocky terrain and mountains, especially with possibility of running lower pressure. Also, I have been riding them on wet and muddy terrain, covered with leafs and roots. Great grip that gives you confidence. Maybe it's because I don't know for better tires, but I'm really satisfied with them.

Favorite Trail:   Holy Trail, Kozjak, Croatia

Fulcrum Red Metal 3 w/ Hans Dampf
SLX/XT group set

Submitted by Kayton a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2013

Strengths:    Tread pattern, width 2.35

Weaknesses:    Wareout fast, really fast.

Bottom Line:
I had noticeable wear after the first ride. Skip these and get Maxxis or Specalized.

Favorite Trail:   Miners loop

Duration Product Used:   2 moths

Bike Setup:   Sana Cruz Nomad

Submitted by Aidan

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2013

Strengths:    Looks good

Weaknesses:    Slow, fast wearing, dosnt flick mud, and bad grip in wet

Bottom Line:
This tyre came with my cannondale jekyl 2 all mountain bike. This tyre is so overrated!
I have the snakskin tripple compound version. In the mud allthough it has large tread
It dosnt flick the mud and results in being very slipperly and can be hard to control
It also slips going up dry hills. I have tryed low presures and it makes no difference. I have replaced
Them with a nobby nic on the front and a rocket ron on the rear this is so much better they both flick mud great
And are awesome in the dry to. They are so much faster up and down hill and never slip.

Submitted by Scott

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2013

Strengths:    Good grip when run below 30 PSI. Nice looking tire.

Weaknesses:    Poor wearing. Throws alot of rocks up.

Bottom Line:
So I really liked these tires at first ride. They looked great and cornered well (at low pressure). However, when running through small bead size rock beds, they through up most of it back at my bike and legs. Also, with only limited use on them, the side knobs are almost all split and getting ready to pull off. Therefore, my cornering has gotten quite sketchy as now the side knobs have to hold, and will eventually just tear off. Can't recommend this tire, especially at the insane high price!

Submitted by stace klinger

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2013

Strengths:    grip, hold, confidence inspiring. beastly meaty tires that make everything else look like they came off a toys-r-us bike

Weaknesses:    slow roll, not terrible though, rear tire wears FAST. although worth it.

Bottom Line:
biggest meanest tires that are extremely predictable and basically DH tires on your enduro/trail/xc bike. Ill log a 20 mile ride on these 3-4 times a week so the weight isnt enough to stop me from using these tires. MINI DIRTBIKE TIRES is what I call em.

Submitted by Stripes a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2013

Strengths:    It's a tractor. It rolls over everything, even at high pressure. Climbs great.

Weaknesses:    Its cornering is horrible. Washing out leaning the bike because I'm used to Specialized Butchers and Maxxis Minions and even the Kenda Small Block 8s. None of those tires wash out like this does. Found it climbs better than descends. Since I ride a 160mm travel bike to go downhill, not really ideal.

Oh yeah, and of course it's expensive.

Bottom Line:
One of my riding buddies LOOOOVES this tire. So I picked one up while the shop was having a 10% discount to give it a try.

This tire was not confidence inspiring. It's great if you're not going to corner at speed and lean the bike, at least in the sand and hardpack. It just slides out, even on uphill switchbacks. Played with various air pressure settings, but nothing particularly made me keep this tire on my bike and put the Butcher back on the front.

Favorite Trail:   any singletrack