Schwalbe Fast Fred Tire

4.18/5 (11 Reviews)
Weight : 580 grams MSRP : $34.98

This dual discipline tire is lightweight and light running to give you a perfect racing tires. The unique qualifier compound has extremely low rolling resistance and the yielding shape offers excellent grip.

Submitted by Soundbud a Racer

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2013

Strengths:    Amazing fast tyre, low rolling resistance, surprising grip in muck for such a low tread profile (but need to be seated, otherwise wheel spins)

Weaknesses:    Low tread profile means you need balls going corners! Tend to slide out.

Bottom Line:
I love these tyres, and would definitely buy again. Don't forget they are racing tyres and although meant for dry use I do use them in wet but racing Ralph are much better for wet use. I also ride on the road for a while to and from my off road place, so these tyres are excellent compromise since they roll really fast on the road. Going around corners is something else, I do ride seriously fast on these tyres regardless of sliding out around corners due to lack of grip, but that's what you pay for if you want to go fast! Excellent tyres if you want to ride recklessly fast off road and I could see many races being won with them. Not for the faint hearted!

Similar Products Used:   Racing Ralph

Bike Setup:   Titanium frame, Sid 2005 team fork, middleburn crank set, crossmax wheels, carbon bar and seat. 9.6 kilo bike!

Submitted by lazyboots a Cross Country Rider from Riga, Latvia

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2009

Strengths:    It's really fast and light tire.

Weaknesses:    I'd like to have better traction in corners. And they wear out pretty fast.

Bottom Line:
They are so fast and acceleration is superb .... You'll love them. But since they lose traction almost completely in wet and sandy conditions, I'd call them great for xc racing on dry conditions

Submitted by Jongo a Racer from Woodstock, USA

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2008

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance, excellent hardpack performance.

Weaknesses:    None for it's intended purpose.

Bottom Line:
Read a bunch of the other reviews and can't belive that people would rate these tires anything other than excellent. These are hardpack racing tires, should not perform well in mud or wet conditions, sidewalls are thin to reduce weight, they are race tires.

Favorite Trail:   A Trail

Purchased At:   Webcyclery

Similar Products Used:   Schwable Racing Ralphs, Michelin Comp S, XCR2 Dry, Pythons, Kenda Klimax

Bike Setup:   Giant Anthem 0,stock except tire for different conditions.

Submitted by Scooch a Cross Country Rider from Ktown, TN, USA

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2008

Strengths:    Weight Weight Weight @ 347 grams a piece! Very fast rolling.

Weaknesses:    Strictly a dry, hardpack tire. No grip in the corners, not even on pavement when its moist or loose over hardpack.

Bottom Line:
Great if your riding in a straight line. Thought they would be good for road riding as well since they are as close to a slick tire... nope. I wiped out in a turn doing about 15 mph. Front end washed on a wet spot.

On the positive side, I definitely noticed a decrease in rolling resistance and is very comparible to MTB slicks.

Purchased At:   EBAY

Similar Products Used:   Pythons, FireXC, Fast Traks

Bike Setup:   '02 Stumpy w/ V's, Duke 80mm, XT and XTR

Submitted by Adrian a Cross Country Rider from Ploiesti,Romania

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2007

Strengths:    little rolling resistance,very light weight (350gr),plenty of grip on dry surfaces.

Weaknesses:    not too much puncture protection,cannot be used on mud!! on mud it has the same grip as a slick!

Bottom Line:
it's great for xc racing on dry conditions,but not too good for marathons,due to the dimished puncture protection.
Overall,it's a perfect tire for the light concious xc racer.

Purchased At:   my bike

Similar Products Used:   schwalbe racing ralph,nobby nic,ritchey zed race,ritchey innovader,irc's.

Bike Setup:   b1 + manitou black + xt 770 + avid j5's etc..

Submitted by spiro vagenas a Racer from denmark

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2006

Strengths:    Fantastic all round performance, very light, exceptional road holdind - even in icy conditions, very fast rolling

Weaknesses:    punctures relatively easily without an anti-puncture bandage.

Bottom Line:
The tire compound is by far the best quality I'v had the pleasure of cycling on. With such fantastic road holding I am amazed at the long length of the tires durability. On some icy road stretches it sounds like you are riding on glass splinters. The design pattern and shape of the noblies litterally bite into the ice. I am extremely impressed. All this and very low rolling resistance.

Favorite Trail:   short&sweet

Purchased At:   original component

Similar Products Used:   maxxis larsen mimo, nokian hakkapeliita a10, LRH and a few others

Bike Setup:   koga-miyata terralineralloy-s

Submitted by kartor med a Weekend Warrior from apeldoorn

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2005

Strengths:    I have the biggest: 2.35" Its relative light 620gram. And its fast. High Volume: 56mm wide and 53mm high. Comfort. Speed!!!

Weaknesses:    Nobbies are small and low. (So less grip one loose surface.) But the low knobs gives you less energy loos because the low knobs don't bend under hard paddeling.

Bottom Line:
It rol's and doesn't get flat.

Favorite Trail:   not on the road!

Purchased At:   Local bike shop

IRC backcountry 2.25": light (620gram),wide 52mm, very grippy, low rolling resistance for a full-knobby tire!!!

Scwalbe king jim 2.35'": The ultimate front tire ever!! It's light 620grams, high volume, wide 54mm, good spaced knobby's, carve through sandy corners. Don't use as back tire because the small and high knobby will bend under heavy pedalling and therefore ask more pedalpower.

Hutchinson musquito 2.00": high volume, 50mm wide, extreme light 480gram, Hughe power loose because of the flexibel knobby's, dangerous when cornering at high speed.

7000 Alloy fullsuspension, single pivot (a bit oldschool).

2004 Magura albert plus rear airdamper with 100mm rear travel (Fully hydraulic tunable with separate high and lowspeed + rebound adjustment).

Front fork: Marzocchi mx comp 105mm ETA. (Reboud Internal adjustable)

Shimano LX drivetrain (4years old)

Avid mechanical disk brakes (can survive overheating, because there is now (boiling) hydraulic fluid!!!)

Wheels: hand spoked, by my self.

Tires: At the moment i ride the big Schwalbes

Submitted by Oswald a Racer from Belgium

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2005

Strengths:    Light, low rolling resistance.

Weaknesses:    Some people complain about puncture resistance, but I've never flatted on these tires.
Not an allround tire.

Bottom Line:
I really like these tires for racing on hardpack terrain. I've never flatted on these tires and have done about a dozen races on them. They are really light and have low rolling resistance. They don't provide any grip, but there are other tires out there that do if the track is muddy.

I did almost regret using them once, the 100km Meirhaeghe Marathon in Vielsam! I was affraid of punctures on the rocky downhill sections but didn't flat despite using only 2 bar front and 2.1 rear. They didn't inspire a lot of confidence grip wise either, but I managed to get 23th place out of 290 people finishing the race, so I guess that they performed well after all.

If you know when to use them, they are an excellent choice. Compared to it's competitors (like the Jet S), it is lighter and still has enough puncture resistance.

Purchased At:   Van Eyck

Similar Products Used:   Too many to list.

Bike Setup:   I have different bikes.

Submitted by Sean Holcombe from Canton, GA

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2005

Strengths:    very light. very low rolling resistance.

Weaknesses:    washes out too easily as a front tire. fell apart.

Bottom Line:
the fast fred light is just that.. light. i did not like using this as a front tire. i found myslef going slower because i had no confidence in its ability to bite in corners. as a rear tire, it works much better. it provides enough traction for me and did i mention that it is light? the problem is, it didn't last very long. after about 70 or so miles, one of the knobs broke of revealing the threads.

i might consider using one of these as a back tire in a race-only kind of role, but only if my everyday tire had a similar tread pattern

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   irc mythos

Bike Setup:   old fisher frame. new everything else

Submitted by fachril fathiansyah a Weekend Warrior from Jakarta, Indonesia

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2005

Strengths:    very very very very very fast,light,cheap!!
and i fell in love with that kevlar beads

Weaknesses:    never find any

Bottom Line:
it is a very fast one. i think it makes me ride faster 75 %.it saves me a lot of time, and we all know time is money.so it saves money too, right?

Purchased At:   my friend

Similar Products Used:   fat albert

Bike Setup:   trek, ritchey, deore, xt....

Submitted by Paul Witkos a Racer from Dabrowa Gornicza, Poland

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2004

Strengths:    Simply fastest tire on the market

Weaknesses:    Loses traction almost completely in wet and sandy conditions

Bottom Line:
First time I rode'em I thought my computer went crazy. 35 km/h (about 22 mph) is simply easy. The feeling is awesome. Acceleration and speeding are the things they scream to do with'em. Good handling and cornering on hard surfaces and average braking.
I thought I found the best babies. Not really. They totally suck in mud and sandy conditions. I would say there isn't even poor handling. For me it doesn't exist. During one race I found myself the only one person walking on quite flat muddy uphills as I was the one whose tires didn't keep the grip. Sad but true. On difficult xc races and demanding downhills disadvantages in handling are bigger than the profits from acceleration.
I was told after 300-500 miles they will be worn out. Well, after that distance I can barely see the difference, so I think they will last much longer. Really resistant to punctures with MB Belt (now it's sth new)
Who should take a closer look at them? Anyone switching tires due to race or marathon conditions. On hard, dry surfaces they are unbeatable and their puncture resistance makes them probably the toughest super lite tires on the market. Definitely not allround or one-year tire.
Highlt specific stuff for specific conditions. Well made, rubber is still in good condition after several years (that's right) of hanging in the garage.

Favorite Trail:   all of'em