Schwalbe Albert Tire

Weight : 630 grams MSRP : $25.49

With Albert's spread out tread pattern and stiff lugs you ‘ll have the ability to accellerate out of fast corners and make up speed on the straights.

Submitted by hoolie a Cross Country Rider from Oakland, CA

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2011

Strengths:    Good tread pattern. Harder rubber for longevity on the street if you road ride to trails. Narrow with widely spaced knobs for mud shedding.

Weaknesses:    My only problem with this tire is it is low profile. I run XT 29er wheels that are not wide and this tire is still too low profile to run at low pressure without rim damage from logs and boulders. I now realize I prefer Large volume casing.

Bottom Line:
I like this tire tread. But for me the low profile is a deal killer for advanced riders in the rocks. I think this is a good tire for you if you need longer lasting rubber, and ride smoother trails/fireroad. Also, I used this tire in loamy, leaf covered forests that have no obstacles and this tire is great. Logs, rocks, and and stairs are not this products strong points.

Favorite Trail:   Downieville is cool

Purchased At:   bought from friend n

Bike Setup:   Access 29er single speed/Niner 29er single speed. Both used this tire as rear.

Submitted by photodog a Racer from SLO, CA

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2011

Strengths:    light

Weaknesses:    poor grip in rocks, wears VERY quickly

Bottom Line:
For the record: I'm 6'1, 175 riding in extremely rocky conditions. AM tires for the trails I'm riding this bike on are typically Ardent's and Nevegal's.

I've never used Schwalbe's before and was surprised by the rigidity of the casing and bead. Tubless on Flows they were very easy to setup.

While it initially looked like it would make a good back tire for our very rocky/gravelly trails and the light weight would be welcome on our long climbs, it didn't grip well at all especially on broken rock. Tried changing from my standard 27psi all over the place but just couldn't get them to stop deflecting off rocks as if the rubber was just too hard. Hard corners at the limit of traction would result in sudden and complete loss of traction with very little control once traction was lost. Constantly in lower speed corners the tread would "pop" off the side of a rock jumping the rear end all over.

I slit all the transition knobs vertically (north south with the direction of travel) and it's now a totally different story. Great traction and totally controllable at the limit. It went from a poor performing tire to one of the better ones for our area.

The problem now is that with only about 10 hours on it it's wearing VERY quickly. Not the knobs I cut but the center knobs and the outer knobs. Centers are wearing from climbing steep rocks though the braking edges are fine. The outer knobs are rounding out and some are close to tearing off.

Overall I'm pretty disappointed in this tire. I realize it was discontinued but if this is what I can expect of the ultra expensive Schwalbe brand I'll be sticking with my Maxxis Ardents and Geax tires.

Bike Setup:   Nomad

Submitted by wannabfast a Weekend Warrior from Saratoga, CA

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2008

Strengths:    Great traction, sidewall protection, reasonable rolling resistance and works well in a variety of conditions.

Weaknesses:    A bit pricey

Bottom Line:
Highly recommended. The tire works well on a variety conditions, dirt, fire roads, roots and rocky terrain. I was really pleased that the Albert run with Stans survived the Downieville XC without a flat or rip.

Favorite Trail:   Demo Forest

Purchased At:   bikesomewhere.com

Similar Products Used:   Nobby Nic, Rampage and Big Betty

Bike Setup:   Stumpy 120, Talas 140, Hopes and XO.

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Alabama

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2007

Strengths:    I'm running the UST version. Great construction, super durable sidewall with the snakeskin. Aired up with no Stan's, bead set very nicely. Totally predictive handling, was an upgrade to the 2.35 Nevegal DTC I took off. Unidirectional tread, clears mud well, nice profile. This has been a super tire for me.

Weaknesses:    Bit pricey, as all Schwalbes are. UST version is advertised at 840 grams. Would like a "tubeless ready" version with the Evolution casing.

Bottom Line:
I'm a Schwalbe convert. Great construction, great performance. The Albert has been a confidence inspiring tire. Might go with the 2.35 Fat Albert next go around, leaving the 2.25 Albert in the back.

Would definitely purchase these again.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mountain

Similar Products Used:   WTB Exiwolf, Weirwolf, Kenda Nevegal, Small Block 8, Geax Saguaro

Bike Setup:   5" full suspension trail bike

Submitted by Michel a Cross Country Rider from Netherlands

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2007

Strengths:    This review is for the Albert ALPENCROSS tyre.
Excellent grip on loose rocks, very strong no punctures due to raceguard/snakeskin combo

Weaknesses:    perhaps weight (670g), further none

Bottom Line:
I used the Albert and Smart Sam tyres in the new AlpenCross version of Schwalbe and put them on my Stumpjumper fsr.

I used them indeed marathon biking in the Alps. The tyres were excellent...the Albert has excellent grip in front and smart sam has very low rolling resistence, although never slippery and loose gravel. Smart sam can however get slippery on wet tree roots in the forest. After 2 weeks of use in the alps there was no sign of damage and had no punctures.

I can recommend to anyone riding in rocky or mountainous terrain. Ok, they weigh 670g but you will feel very secure and you can ride downhill very fast...

Purchased At:   bike-components.de

Similar Products Used:   Nobby Nic, racing Ralps, Hutchinson Python, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Orbea Alma Cup
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro

Submitted by Alan from Switzerland

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2007

Strengths:    Grip
Not Heavy
Sidewalls very strong (snakeskin 2.25)

Weaknesses:    Rolling resistance and noisy on road
Too soft..on road

Bottom Line:
No more punctures and that already a good news because with the Nobby Nic 2,25 one time out of two I got it.
I do still more than 50% on road, so this tire is really too soft for me, offroad has a very good grip.

Purchased At:   bikeimport.ch

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Larssen TT, Schwalbe Nobby Nic, Specialized Pro

Bike Setup:   Specialized SJ FSR, Larssen TT 2.35 front and Albert 2.25 snakeskin rear

Submitted by Gabi K. a Weekend Warrior from Tel-Aviv, Israel

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2006

Strengths:    Great grip, very stable,large vollume, excels in sigletracks.

Weaknesses:    Not the fastest tire - there is a price for grip.

Bottom Line:
I use the foldable Albert 2.25 rear and the soft compound (front only) in the front, 35 psi front, 40 rear. As a reviewer wrote below, it took two rides until it really "sits down". After 50 km it shows lot of grip, very stable in singletracks, cornering and bracking. The only minus it is not a fast roller you'll feel it in long climbs - but I prefer this in a rocky garden or while flying over fire roads. Compared to the conti vertical pro it is slower but with more grip. Bottom line - if you are on the xc line maybe it is not for you, if you are on the all mountain, singletracks and down - you'll be happy

Favorite Trail:   Carmel Mtn, Jerusalem hills

Purchased At:   shop@harim

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson Mosquito (the worst one I used, Panaracer Fire XC Pro, WTB Wirewolf, Continental Vertical Pro

Bike Setup:   Intense 5.5, RS Pike, Manitou 4-way, full XO.

Submitted by Efraim Shams a Cross Country Rider from Azor, Israel

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2006

Strengths:    Responsive on road.

Weaknesses:    Weak greeoping on trails, pricey, noisy on road.

Bottom Line:
I was disappointed.
Get the Specialized Adrenaline Pro.

Similar Products Used:   WTB Exiwolf, Specialized Adrenaline Pro

Bike Setup:   Haro Shift R7

Submitted by ramilcp a Weekend Warrior from Whittier, CA

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2006

Strengths:    Light, high volume, good grip rolling and cornering.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I have the 2.25 'Light' version set up as a rear tire. It has great grip on hardpack, as well as wet roots and rocks. Even off-camber pitches are no problem for this tire. It helps inspire confidence on the trails when you know your tires will hook up on most everything.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   IRC: Kujo DH, Mythos XC F/R, Trailbear; Panaracer: Smoke, Dart, Fire XC Pro; Bontrager SS F/R, Hutchinson Scorpion Airlight, Specialized S-Works Fast Trak.

Bike Setup:   IRO Mia! rigid SS w/ Avid mech discs.

Submitted by re a Cross Country Rider from colorado high country

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2005

Strengths:    weight is light, sidewalls held up

Weaknesses:    side knobs rip off, alot of them! price, hard durometer

Bottom Line:
maybe i got two really bad tires because they didnt hold up at all. i am truly disappointed after hearing good things about the alberts. the side knobs ripped off, not one but damn near half of them. the tire didnt fail though so the snakeskin inner seems to work. overall however these tires suck compared to whats out there by kenda and specialized. not impressed.

Similar Products Used:   tioga, wtb, spec, kenda(goodies), nokian, bonty, maxxis

Bike Setup:   mav

Submitted by Superbman a Cross Country Rider from The Valley, MA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2005

Strengths:    This is for the rear/ snakeskin tire-very good roller, tough sidewalls, great grip

Weaknesses:    none for me

Bottom Line:
Finally mated the rear albert to the front only and my riding hasnever been better. This looks like the end of a three year journey to find the perfect new england front and rear tire set up. I use the schwalbe albert front only snakeskin up front and a plain scwhalbe albert snakeskin rear-run them around 35 psi and never slip or slide anymore and still roll fairly quickly--can't beat that. Yee ha!

Purchased At:   45.00

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe front only

Bike Setup:   Razorback with schwalbe front and rear

Submitted by Pete a Cross Country Rider from Hampton, CT

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2005

Strengths:    Grip, light weight, strong sidewalls

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
I got these tires for my 575 because I figured a sweet ride needed sweet rubber and I couldn't be happier. The grip on New England rocks and roots is unreal!!! They are head and shoulders above my old FireXCs. I usually run them between 35-40psi and I have yet to pinch flat. The only flat I did get was from broken glass on the road. They are really light for their volume and durability.

The only downside I see to them is the price. I would love a new pair when these die, but the price may stop me. I was able to trade for this pair, so didn't have to throw down cash.

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer FireXC for years and years

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575

Submitted by Nick a Cross Country Rider from Rural Retreat, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2005

Strengths:    Good grip, smooth rolling. Nice cushion.

Weaknesses:    None really.

Bottom Line:
They have gotten better after breaking in, approx. 30 miles. I did have to play with tire pressure alot at the beginning. Started at 50 psi, rolled good but sacrificed grip. Went to 35 psi, super grip, lots of rolling resistance. Settled at 42 (3 bar). I will keep them here, seems to be perfect balance. I ride very rocky, rooty, wet, muddy, slimy trails, hey, it is southwest Virginia!
They are lighter than a lot of 2.25's out there and I needed a well balanced tire for lots of different terrain. It is one tire I would recommend to trail riders.

Favorite Trail:   Crawfish

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Hansventures, Trail bears.

Bike Setup:   Ironhorse Hollowpoint 2003.

Submitted by Daniel a Cross Country Rider from Tübingen, Germany

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2005

Strengths:    I was using Schwalbes Jimme for a while but when i wrecked my last one i was looking for something more durable. Im very happy with my albert now. It works well under a wide variety of conditions. No matter if it't dry or wet, the albert provides lots of traction in all situations. I'm riding the 2.25 wire version on my hardtail (rear). Very strong tire.

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
If you want a tire that works well no matter where you go you should check out the Albert.

Purchased At:   Fahrradladen Tübingen

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe Ralph, Schwalbe Jimmy, Panaracer Smoke, Conti Gravity...

Submitted by Superb Man a Cross Country Rider from Massachusetts

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2005

Strengths:    This is for the Front ONLY Snakeskin 2.25 Albert...I've never had a tire that grips this well on wet rocks and roots and still rolls well.

Bottom Line:
Dang-but 2005 has been a wet wet wet and slimy year here in New England...a good gtrippy front tire is what I neede dand it's what I got..I really can't believe how well it grips wet roots and rocks up and down hill--slow speed or fast...now I just need a good compliment in the back! Seriously, if you're tired of slipping and sliding this season and you can't (or don't want to) run a big fat pig of a tire the Schwalbe Front specific albert is a dream come true.

Favorite Trail:   Hannah Swarton's Remove

Purchased At:   Bicycles Unlimited-Greenfield

Similar Products Used:   Fire xc, Cinders, Velociraptors, Conti Traction Pro, Michelin Xtreme, Nanoraptors, etc.

Bike Setup:   K2 razor back..Schwalbe on the front the back is still auditioning

Struggling w/Easton Havocs and Fat Albert install

Hi everyone - TIA to anyone willing to spare a few seconds to give some advice here. Believe you me, I've exhausted many hours of failed attempts, and many addt'l hours of Googling and YT'ing trying to find someone with my scenario. I wouldn't clog the forums if the answer could be found so easy. ... Read More »

Schwalbe Nobby Nics vs Fat Albert vs Maxxis Minion

Hi guys, I've been using Maxxis Minion 2.35ST and it's my fav tire upfront, from my FS gearies to my rigid SS. But I'm kinda into the weight game & larger volume now so I'm looking into the Schwalbe Nobby Nics 2.4 or Fat Albert 2.4 as a replacement. Can't seems to find a direct comparison of a ... Read More »

Conti Baron vs. Minion vs. Fat Albert

What sub 850g tire is best for wet roots, slippery rocks and muddy conditions? Weight and grip is priority. [URL="http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle/themes/mtb/downhill_freeride/Baron/baron_en.html"]Continental Baron 2.3 Black Chilli[/URL] [URL="http://www.maxx ... Read More »

Paid Spam: Dialled Bikes Prince Albert All-Mountain Frame

Dialled Bikes Prince Albert frame: [url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=67745]Dialled Bikes Prince Albert - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories[/url] Thanks for looking :thumbsup:Read More »

Schwalbe Fat Albert Evolution

Has anyone been using these tyres looking for some feedback on how they ride as they are quite expensive to buy and dont want to waste me money.Read More »