Home | Reviews | Tire | Ritchey

Ritchey Tom Slick Tire

3.63/5 (38 Reviews)

If youre riding your MTB onThe road,Tom Slick is ideal. Fast rollingTread withTraction sipes works great on paved surfaces. 250-400 grams

Submitted by sharkbait_au a Racer from Australia

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2011

Strengths:    Turns a mountain bike into an acceptable road trainer.

Weaknesses:    Disappointed with life of tire.

Bottom Line:
I was using the 1" comp tire. I ride 3 times a week. Generally speaking I was happy with the tires while they lasted, never had any problems, no punctures or cuts. My problem is that the tires have deformed after 3 months, at just over 600 miles use. It looks to me like there is plenty of rubber left, so I put it down to bad construction.

Bike Setup:   Road modified mountain bike. Reduced fork height and travel, aero bars, road cassette, Adamo road seat.

Submitted by O. Emry a Cross Country Rider from Sunnyvale, CA

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2010

Strengths:    Decent, long-wearing road tire

Weaknesses:    Poor cornering

Bottom Line:
Sophisticated cyclists know that on pavement, true slick tires have better traction, wet or dry. The grooves on the sides of the Tom Slicks don't add any value (the tire is still pretty useless on loose surfaces) but screw up the cornering.

We got at about 2500 miles out of a 1.4" Tom Slick on the rear of the tandem, but have since gone back to Avocet FasGrip City tires, and since they're no longer available, I'm starting to use Schwalbe Kojaks. Both are true slick tires, with the latter available in 1.35 or 2.0" sizes. The Kojaks are about the same price as a Tom Slick and have incredible wet traction, but I don't yet know how long they last.

Favorite Trail:   It's a road tire!

Purchased At:   various

Similar Products Used:   Avocet FasGrip City
Schwalbe Kojak

Bike Setup:   Ritchey Super Comp
Also used on tandem w/ 26" wheels

Submitted by stephen_w_keller a Weekend Warrior from Portland, OR USA

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2010

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance, high-pressure, predictable handling.

Weaknesses:    Routine cord failures.

Bottom Line:
I ride purely on the road and rarely take the bike on gravel or other abusive surfaces. Nevertheless, I've had three cord failures in the past six months. That was about 1100 miles of mostly winter and rainy season riding. One failure left a hole in the tread so large that even booting the tire with duct tape couldn't hold well enough to get me home. I like the tires when they aren't coming apart. They ride well and provide very predictable handling in most conditions, but I don't think I'll be buying any more of these.

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Nimbus

Bike Setup:   Rigid fork & frame MTB gear/tired for street commuting.

Submitted by eighthsamurai a Weekend Warrior from California Central Coast

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2010

Strengths:    Light weight, low rolling resistance, good adhesion on dry pavement.

Weaknesses:    Prone to flats, sketchy on sand/gravel patches, terrible fit on Crossmax rims.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 26 x 1.4 size. I rode the Comp (wire bead) model mounted to Mavic Crossland wheels for 2 years in San Diego. The tires displayed low rolling resistance at 50-60 psi and provided predictable cornering on dry pavement. A more forgiving ride than the Specialized Fatboy. Scary loose on unexpected patches of sand and gravel. Barely passable adhesion in the rain, but I switched tires in the winter. After a number of goathead flats, I added tire liners, which added some weight, but I spent less time on the side of the road.

Last year, I switched to the Pro (folding bead) version and fought to mount them on Mavic Crossmax wheels with Spin Skin liners. Lots of soap and 100 psi and the bead finally seated with a major bang. For approximately 900 miles, no flats. Then the Spin Skins began their inevitable deterioration and I got my first flat. I couldn't get the tire off - the Kevlar bead was fused under the rim - and I carried my bike three miles to get home. Ten minutes with a bottle of soapy water and a 3/4" putty knife and I finally broke the tire loose. I was amazed I didn't destroy the rim.

While I like the ride quality and the low weight, this tire just doesn't work with the Crossmax rim. I won't risk being stuck 20 miles from home. Plan to try the Schwalbe's next.

Purchased At:   Cambria Bicycle Outf

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Fatboy

Bike Setup:   Klein Pulse II, XTR, Crossmax

Submitted by ENYCECKK a Weekend Warrior from Brooklyn New York

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2009

Strengths:    Fast Fast Fast ! U can beat any mountain biker with this 1 inch tire. ( pavement )

Weaknesses:    -Lost 2 inches of bike height

Bottom Line:
I was running with these tires today with a max speed of 34.9mph

These tires fits in my 21mm inner rim without a problem !

Favorite Trail:   none

Purchased At:   BikeTiresDirect

Similar Products Used:   Continental Ultra Gatorskin

Bike Setup:   Schwinn protocol 1.0 8 speed mountain bike

Submitted by Harvey a Weekend Warrior from Washington dc

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2009

Strengths:    Fast. Quiet. Sticky cornering.

Weaknesses:    Hard to get on. Wear moderately fast. Average performance in wet.

Bottom Line:
1.4 K - Used for urban commutes. By far the best 26" street tire I have used in 15 years. Fast and quiet. Excellent ride. Corners predictably all the way to extreme angles. Serviceable on hard packed dirt or even gravel. A little slippery when wet. No flats in 12 months. Seems well made.

Similar Products Used:   Tioga. IRC.

Bike Setup:   Spec rockhopper comp

Submitted by Martin (the Nutter)O Leary a Weekend Warrior from Ireland

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2009

Strengths:    FAST WITH GREAT CORNERING SPEED
QUIET AND LIGHT.A very cheap conversion to make a mountain bike fast on tarmac.

Weaknesses:    NONE total satisfaction

Bottom Line:
10% faster than the orignal tires.
Now I can keep up with bikes 5 times the price of my tenere.

Favorite Trail:   Arano ,Spain

Purchased At:   Speed Eagle Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Wolfrace on my old Carlton
and numerous brands on my KTM Adventure 640

Bike Setup:   Obrea tenere Shimano

Submitted by abarth99 a Weekend Warrior from Federal Way, WA

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2008

Strengths:    Fast, quiet, fast, light, fast, good cornering, fast, cheap, did I mention fast.

Weaknesses:    Skinny tires on mountain bike just doesn't look right. Need skinny new tubes.

Bottom Line:
I got the 26x1.4, pumped it to the max 85psi. Only put 40 miles on it, so far so good. Rode over some grass area, some broken glass, some loose rocks on pavement, no problem yet. Only time will tell how they will hold up long term. It doesn't feel fast, but my computer said I was about 3 mph faster than the Specialized Hemisphere for the same section. May be I am stronger than last week or may be is the tire and the big ring.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hemisphere

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc with 48 tooth big ring and Manitou Skareb Elite front shock.

Submitted by JT from Oakland, CA

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2008

Strengths:    Quiet, great rolling tire, high pressure (for a MTB)

Weaknesses:    None for me.

Bottom Line:
This tire has been great for me. I've gone through them over the years but mainly because I would swap out the tires every year (after approx. 2000 miles a year). I haven't really flatted out and it's been a solid tire for me.

I love the narrow tire, high pressure and easy roll. I don't know why people have had so many problems with these but, since I'm putting new tires on the MTB and SS tonight, I'll keep an eye out for them.

Similar Products Used:   Continental T&C

Bike Setup:   Hardtail and an MTB Singlespeed

Submitted by MTB114 a Weekend Warrior from PA

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2008

Strengths:    Fast and Quiet

Weaknesses:    Too light duty...poor construction as well

Bottom Line:
I tried this tire (26x1)because I wanted something that's fast and quiet for commuting to school. The tire was just that but I also went through tubes like crazy. The littlest things caused flats. Not after a little more than a year (700 miles?) the tire is falling apart. The rubber is actually flaking off of the kevlar material. It's not just up against the sidewall but on the center of the tire as well. After the next flat I'm going back to MTB tires. I've had to ride home on too many flats to justify using these tires any more...

Submitted by Gunnar a Racer from Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2007

Strengths:    None. Dangerous

Weaknesses:    Blow out. 3" Sidewall seperation from the bead.

Bottom Line:
The 2nd day I road this new tire it malfunctioned. A 3" sidewall seperation from the bead. The tire blew going downhill at 20+ MPH, and I thought a gun had gone off. I was on my front wheel rim immediately. My bike started floating and I went down. The worst Bike Crash of my life. Ambulance to the Emergency Room with broken collar bone and multiple body injuries. I have done 6 Ironman races but this tops everything.It will take years to recover. It appears that Ritchey has defective TOM SLICKS floating around. Please email me so we can save other athleetes.

Purchased At:   Canyon Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Continental

Bike Setup:   Fat Chance Mountain Bike

Submitted by Peter from Concord

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2007

Strengths:    1 inch slicks

Weaknesses:    weak sidewalls, easy blowouts

Bottom Line:
I love my Ritchey bike and components, but Tom Slicks suck next to a Continental. I went with Tom Slicks when I started commuting to work(road riding.) Blowouts and sidewall failures seemed to be too common. I had my last sidewall blowout on a descent on Mt Diablo w/my front tire (my last) and have not ridden on them since. The fact that it happened just after a sharp corner w/reduced speed saved my ... and maybe my life. There is no more important component for a bike than the tires upon which we ride. Go for the best, Go Continental!!! (they're rated for 125psi, and $50 a piece)

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Diablo

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   CONTINENTALS!!!!!!!

Bike Setup:   Previous: Ritchey TimberComp
Current: Lightspeed Pisgah

Submitted by Brett a Racer from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2007

Strengths:    Fast and low rolling resistance. Corners well.

Weaknesses:    Weak sidewall. Tough to get on rim. Not puncture resistant.

Bottom Line:
Bought these tires thinking they would be great for commuting. Man was I wrong. I have had 2 sidewalls seperate from the bead, thus I have owned 3 tires. I am going o take all 3 back to performance after I write this. Not to mention they are tough to get on the rim in the first place. Pieces of rubber under the bead started coming off around the tires when I started to put them on to the rim. All-in-all a very poor tire, I would not recommend.

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   07 Giant Anthem 2. Stock.

Submitted by Daniel Johnson a Weekend Warrior from Richardson, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2007

Strengths:    -FAST!
-Hold 100psi
-Cut throrugh water like butter!

Weaknesses:    You have to be careful... because they aren't hard to puncture. Get a patch kit.

Bottom Line:
A lot of people cry about these tires because they are easy to puncture... but I have put over 300 miles on these tires with only 1 legitimate flat. I ran over a piece of barbed wire on the road... All the other flats I have had have been from stupid stuff. Like my cat sharpening his claws on my bike tires. (he put 4 holes in the tire at once!)

If you aren't an idiot, you wont have any problems with these tires. They are very fast and they cut through water like butter!

Favorite Trail:   Lake Grapevine