Home | Reviews | Tire | Ritchey

Ritchey Motovader Tire

4.38/5 (16 Reviews)

Aggressive 2 stage VFA tread design for traction in extreme conditions • Plush 2.4 and 2.6 widths for freeriding, DH and dual slalom • Reinforced knobs for predictable all-around performance • SC, Pro and Comp versions • 26x2.1, 26x2.4 and 26x2.6

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Williamsburg, VA USA

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2007

Strengths:    Great dry traction, cushy and comfortable

Weaknesses:    Questionable in wet and mud. Not exactly light weight.

Bottom Line:
This is my first experience with a wide/high volume XC or all-mountain tire. I love it on my fully rigid ride. I run the tire around 22 psi with a tube (I'm 180lbs) and have yet to pinch flat (after 3 months). This tire is huge. It almost doesn't fit between the chainstays. It's so much more comfortable than even the 2.1" tire I was riding, and way better than the 1.95 I tried first. It's almost like having an inch of suspension in the rear, though no one will confuse it with a rear shock. It hooks up great in the dry, clay conditions in eastern VA. I'm not sure how it would perform in the wet or mud. I highly recommend it for the comfort value.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Bike Setup:   Single speed fully rigid 96er: Performance(Supergo) Access frame; Raleigh XXIX fork; misc other parts.

Submitted by mtb rider a Weekend Warrior from houston

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2006

Strengths:    Grippy, corners well and powers up climbs. I agree with other reviewers on this point.

Weaknesses:    The tread is huge, so rolling resistance is significant. Tread wears rather quickly (4 months of weekend off-roading, weekday urban commuting have cracked and square off the tread). Commuters should look elsewhere.

Bottom Line:
Great off-road tire, poor commuting tire.

Bike Setup:   Trek 850, Marzocchi MXC fork.

Submitted by Stephen a Weekend Warrior from Albany, NY

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2005

Strengths:    Good high volume, tracks and breaks, hooks up in most terrain.

Weaknesses:    Off camber mud and its all over.

Bottom Line:
I ride this tire up front. It is sick. Has absorbed so many hits and allowed me to take bigger hits than maybe i should -- I pretend to be a freerider. I usually ride it at about 25psi (i weigh 155lbs). I am looking for another tire like this with high volume, probably gonna go with the zed millenniums at some point, but i fear change. The only issue is the price, which i wish was lower.

I don't think anyone should be disappointed by this tire. I have the WCS version and it destroys all the east coast nasties except off camber mud...which it slides down.

Purchased At:   LBS in SF, CA

Bike Setup:   GF HKEK, Thomson elite stem and seatpost, selle italia saddle, mavic rims on XT hubs, avid Ti V-brakes and levers, Manitou black super air fork, CB candy SLs, SRAM XO RD, lx FD blah blah blah...

Submitted by Glenn a Weekend Warrior from Auckland NZ

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2004

Strengths:    Relativley inexpensive, have lots of grip, roll well

Weaknesses:    Availability in nz

Bottom Line:
Got these tires a while back when reviews were a little scarce, so took a punt because i did'nt fancy forking out mega bucks for maxxis rubber and boy was i pleasantly surprised.
Most of my riding is local forest with a variety of surfaces, sand, roots, pine needles, ramps, loose soil 'an mud. What this tire does'nt excell at, more than makes up for with sheer ridability. The largish footprint at lowish psi gives predictability in both traction and steering, coupled with a dh tube (1 reducing the risk of pinch flats 2 making the tire stronger for harder hits), covers just about all these conditions with ease, what more could you ask for.
These might not have as much grip as say the super tacky swampthing or high roller, but @#*% they don't retail at anywhere near the price either!!
Well done Ritchey for making such a good product.
If you can get hold of them, buy 'em, you will not be dissapointed.

Favorite Trail:   too many to choose from

Purchased At:   cycle therapy

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Wtb etc

Bike Setup:   Full suss with lots of goodies

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Redmond, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2004

Strengths:    Awesome price...great weight for the 2.4s.... lighter than the Tioga dh 2.1.

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Great Value, Great Tire, Buy from REI get a dividend back & support an organization that help maintain our trails!

Favorite Trail:   Dirt Merchant to A-Line, Corral Pass to Palisades

Purchased At:   Redmond REI

Similar Products Used:   Tioga DH 2.1 & 2.3, Gazzaloddi 2.6 & 2.3, Tioga Factory XC 2.1 & 1.95, Velociraptors, many others

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575, SRAM X.O, Truvativ, FSA

Submitted by rick a Weekend Warrior from Winnipeg,Canada

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2004

Strengths:    stick like sh!t to blanket on everything so far, great edge for hanging on to rock.

Weaknesses:    rolling resistance, but then what's not a sacrifice these days ?

Bottom Line:
Great tire for Canadian Shield type riding, large granite rock, slippery moss covered surfaces, rooty ,babyheads (lots of 6-12 inch rocks exposed 1/2 way, very freakin gnarly. Steep climbs and crazy, short, steep decents.

Favorite Trail:   all of em'

Purchased At:   came on the bike

Similar Products Used:   gazza's....

Bike Setup:   04 Switch SL, easton cockpit, Vanilla RC, Marz Z150 FR, mallet C's, SRAM X9

Submitted by Richard Eckert a Cross Country Rider from Waikoloa, Hawaii

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2004

Strengths:    (Motovader 26x2.6 Kevlar bead) Predictable cornering. Hard to flat. Low rolling resistance. This tire has not been chunked up due to the harsh conditions presented by lava cinder/rock trail riding.

Weaknesses:    Does not hook up when climbing in loose rocks or gravel. I seem to have to put too much effort in keeping the back end hooked up as compared with the z-max

Bottom Line:
This is a great tire that makes me long for the beautiful dirt trails of Cali. Mostly lots of lava cinder trails here that are very unforgiving. A predictable tire means a lot when spills are guaranteed to draw lotsa blood.
The Motovader handles well in most conditions except the above mentioned. If you're mostly riding in dirt, hard pack or medium-hard, this is a great tire.

Favorite Trail:   Mauna Kea downhills

Purchased At:   REI.com

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey z-max 2.2,2.4, Specialized Enduro Pro 2.2

Bike Setup:   2003 Specialized Enduro with stock suspension.

Submitted by Patrick a Cross Country Rider from Monterey, CA

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2004

Strengths:    Runs where you point it, and doesn't get bogged down in anything. There are deep ruts filled with sand around here...if you plow through the sand, the Motovader doesn't stop and it'll haul the front tire up before you slip. If you want to run along the side of the rut on the edge of the tread, you can do that too. They've been unstoppable so far!

Weaknesses:    Nothing yet!

Bottom Line:
Can't really go wrong with this tire. I was looking for something that would keep traction in pretty much everything including deep sand, and this is it. Fort Ord has nearly everything you could really get stuck in or have to climb, and the Motovader does it all well.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Ord, CA

Purchased At:   Aquarian Bicycles in Monterey

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Jones AC - they suck.

Bike Setup:   '01 Trek 4500: Ritchey Motovader on the rear, Ritchey Z.E.D. Race in the front.

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Canberra,A.C.T, Australia

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2004

Strengths:    Fantastic Grip in all conditions, great comfort, fast rollers on the trail(for a 2.4).

Weaknesses:    none really, although I can't use stans with them anymore after removing them off the rim several times, just cant get the bead to seal,even with a high volume air compressor. oh well thats what tubes are for.

Bottom Line:
This is for the 2.4's.
Great tire for just about everything, yes they are slower on tarmac with added noise to boot, but fast where it counts on the trail. Great cornering grip in all conditions, great for maintaining speed through the rough stuff, nice and comfy with the big bag size.
I even use these for XC racing, i'd switched to XC specific tyres(roll x sports, mythos xc)to get some extra speed but put the motovaders back on as they're way faster and more predictable when maintaing speed through the corners and through the rougher sections.
The only thing i don't reccommend them for is fast hardpack with sandy corners above 40psi. Easly solved by using below 40psi.
Next on the to try list is the same tyre in a 2.1

Bike Setup:   AC2

Submitted by Jay Foerster a Cross Country Rider from Pordenone/North Italy

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2003

Strengths:    Grip,Grip,Grip

Weaknesses:    Rolling resistance on hard surfaces

Bottom Line:
I recently bought the 2.1 motovaders because I do some races every now and then so I wanted a ´´thin,fast´´ tire.My first reaction:Dissapointment!They don´t roll as easy as I´ve thought they would.But then I took a trip into the italian Dolomites where I live..and changed my mind!The Grip is fantastic,even in mud.I feel more secure than I did with my 2.25 big jim`s!So if concrete isn´t your main playground...I highly recommend this tire with the unusual profile!

Favorite Trail:   Tremalzo/Garda-Lake Italy

Purchased At:   Hamburg/Germany

Similar Products Used:   schwalbe big jim 2.25/continental explorer pro 2.1

Bike Setup:   Canyon FX 4000 fullsuspension(german brand)

Submitted by Luca a Weekend Warrior from Milano.Italy

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2003

Strengths:    I have bought the 2.4 Pro version..they are so comfortable and very confidence inspiring.They are cheap too.I think they are perfect for light freeride.

Weaknesses:    none found yet

Bottom Line:
I found these tires to be very goog in every situation I have tried them ...I dont know about mud since it is not raining for a while and these tires are new..I am very happy and I think I would raccomend these ones to anybody is asking me for a light freeride tire.They are wide,light,and comfortable when you have to move to the pavement to reach the woods...They dont sound like a tank rolling on the road.I think Tom has done a very good work witht hese ones...Abd they cost a lot less than many others.

Purchased At:   Bicimania,Monza

Similar Products Used:   Michelin hot s(not happy with them),Hutchinson Mosquitos 2.3(good allround tire..but a bit weak)Maxxis Mofo DH(very good but a bit too hardcore for my style)

Bike Setup:   2002 Rocky Mountain Slayer stock except for tires

Submitted by marco alberio a Weekend Warrior from Italy

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2003

Strengths:    . price (gift)
. big section and big volume(2.4)
. traction
. weight

Weaknesses:    I have to find one...

Bottom Line:
My initial fear was about mud, 2.4 tires cannot compete to 1.9 (or less) tires. After a tour in mud I'm surprised, motovader *can* compete with my other "thin" tires in mud (take care about my previous tires). About other terrain motovader goes smoothly, they absorb little (little means 2 inches) asperity like roots, stones...(where suspension works partially). Now I have another bike, and this due 2 tires only !
The rolling resistance is slightly worst than ZMax or ZED, but the size must have some drawback.
I mounted the front tire in reverse rolling direction, this improves braking.
Take care about "your rigth" pressure, these tires are strongly influenced by this, perform many tests to find the best pressure for you.
I use the bike for Enduro/light freeride, I found *my* tires...

Purchased At:   gift

Similar Products Used:   . Ritchey ZMax Millennium 1.9
. Ritchey ZED 1.9
. Ritchey ZED race 2.1

Bike Setup:   custom (veeeery custom) Trek VRX 300

Submitted by cRock a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2003

Strengths:    -It's big (running the 2.4)
-Pro version is not too heavy given the size
-reasonable price
-tread design gives solid rear traction

Weaknesses:    -rubber is a litttle soft and wears quicker than some, I guess that's the price of performance.
-good in mud, not great

Bottom Line:
This a big, mean knobby. Around here the trails are criss-crossed with big slick roots that can send the rear of my hard tail skipping and spinning up steep climbs without some serious rubber take the edge off. The 'vader 2.4 has plenty of volume and grip to keep the rear end anchored to the trail. This tire is "a purist's rear suspension". Rolling resistance is pretty low considering these tires are big and burly.