Home | Reviews | Tire | Ritchey

Ritchey Excavader Tire

4.36/5 (22 Reviews)

The ExcaVader CrossTire is aggressive cyclocrossTireThat is great in many conditions while offering a low rolling resistance with its centerTread pattern. Aggressive, fast-rolling 3rd generation VFATread design All conditions, front or rear

Submitted by Justen a Weekend Warrior from Alamogordo, NM

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2006

Strengths:    Reasonably lightweight, grippy, easy to get on and off of the rim.

Weaknesses:    For the price- None

Bottom Line:
I was pleasantly surprised with this tire. After reading the reviews on this site I bought one for the front and have been happy with it.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   IRC, Michelins, slicks...

Bike Setup:   Hardtail with Indy C fork (I know, I know...)

Submitted by arpit a Weekend Warrior from sydney

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2006

Strengths:    Worked very well as a rear tyre while it lasted.
Rolled well on asphalt

Weaknesses:    Paid 45 aussie dollars at LBS-- Expensive for something which doesn't last long and probably costs 45 cents to manufacture. However, this is true for all mountain bike tyres.
Soft compound lost like a millimuetre of tread off one pass on the commonara parkway.

Bottom Line:
It was working really well as a rear tyre. Became sketchy after 6 months of light riding.
I bought it because I thought the horizontal treads had a nice bite- It'll lose this quickly if you ride on asphalt. I'd prefer a tyre with a harder compound since I ride on asphalt and my offroad riding consists primarily of sandy and rocky terrain- IE- nomatter how soft your tyre is, when you lose traction it'll be because the terrain itself rolls or shifts(sand grains, small rocks)

I'd reccomend this tyre for
-people who ride on hardpack (soft compound)
-people who don't ride on rough asphalt (soft compound wears quickly)
-people wo ride on loose terrain who are willing to replace the tyre regularly.

I will now try this (worn)tyre as a front one on my other bike , since the side knobs are still fine. I'll be running a semi slick on the back.

Bike Setup:   hardtail ritchey z max on front, excavader on back- 2.1 both

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2005

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance. Pretty good rear-wheel traction. Cheap.

Weaknesses:    Washes out during cornering.

Bottom Line:
As a back tire, these babies rock. They are fast and hook up just right on hardpack soil and pretty good on loose, sandy stuff. As a front tire, I can't stand them. I'm scared sh**less cornering on them at any speed. Feels very unstable but everyone else seems to like them on the front. Not me. Needs a taller shoulder with some big ol' knobbies for use as a front tire.

Favorite Trail:   401 in Crested Butte

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   None, this is pretty unique tread design.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic Marathon with CrossMax XL.

Submitted by J.S. a Cross Country Rider from Slovenia

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2005

Strengths:    Very low rolling resistance, fast, good traction, low price

Weaknesses:    Wears out fast if driven on asphalt

Bottom Line:
I have Excavader 2.1 Comp in front and Elavader 2.1 Comp in back and I'm very pleased with these tires, especially if you consider the price. I had Mythos before I switched and they felt very unsecure cornering and braking comparing to Ritcheys. They will wear out fast (I think I can make some 2000 km with them) but I don't really care if I change them for new ones next year becouse they are good and reliable and reasonable light. Probably I'll go with Pro version to see how much better they are and to reduce some extra weight.

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   IRC Mythos xc, Ritchey Speedmax

Bike Setup:   Scott hardtail, Deore, Marzocchi, Time,..

Submitted by Andy a Cross Country Rider from Nevada

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2005

Strengths:    Great traction and Low rolling resistance.

Weaknesses:    A little narrow for a 2.1

Bottom Line:
These tires are a little harsh riding for a 2.1 because they are a little narrow and not very supple(WCS and Pro) and the Pro is very hard to get on ond off the rim, but other than that I can't find any other gripes. They feel almost like semi-slicks that get great traction in everything I have put them through.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Way too many to list.

Bike Setup:   Light Hardtail.

Submitted by Martin a Cross Country Rider from Central Coast Australia

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2004

Strengths:    Lightweight,Good in Sand , Low rolling resistance. Great feel at the right psi.

Weaknesses:    Running at 35psi on tubes they pinchflat constantly due to thin sidewalls.Going to 40+psi they skip and loose traction.

Bottom Line:
Overall the Zed max millenium has a better constructon a faster tread pattern and will do every thing better except mud.Going to try with Stans to avoid the flats.Otherwise run two Z Max.

Purchased At:   The edge

Similar Products Used:   Larsen tt, Michelin hot s ,Ritchey Z Mill... Scott Cougars.

Bike Setup:   Scott Genius MC 30 Xtr Rear Der. FSA Bars Fizik Seat. Easton stem.

Submitted by Ken a Cross Country Rider from Glendale, AZ-----USA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2004

Strengths:    cheap price, low rolling resistance, seemed to ride faster,
traction works great paired with the Elevader

Weaknesses:    didn't come factory on my ride

Bottom Line:
I puchased these tires (2.1 size) after reading the reviews here and can honestly say I am happy with them. I have a much stabler feel when riding fast in sand and on gravel. They replaced the mythos xc's I had because the mythos tended to get "squirlly" on me in some situations--gone with the ritcheys. I also ride faster and corner harder with them. I started out with excavaders front and rear but recently put an elevader on back to try it out, and I like it. BOTH combinations have worked well for me.

Favorite Trail:   NON-paved

Similar Products Used:   (most recent)irc mythos xc, wtb velociraptor,+ various others thru the years

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Sugar2 totally upgraded

Submitted by Learux a Cross Country Rider from Valencia, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2004

Strengths:    Everuthing U want in a tyre. Great hookup

Weaknesses:    Dont know of any

Bottom Line:
This is my second review of the tyre. It lasted for about 800 miles. That is 400 miles up and 400 miles down a steep fire road with a million rocks with various sizes.

I weigh 230 pounds and teh tyre took all this abuse without problems.

More of you guys should try this tyre especially if you ride in dry hard conditions. Dont know if it will work ok in the mud. My gues is it will!

Try it you wont be sorry.

Learux

Favorite Trail:   so many

Purchased At:   bikeman

Similar Products Used:   ALl sorts of rubber

Bike Setup:   Epic avid disk

Submitted by Adam a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2004

Strengths:    Fast rolling, sheds mud well, great grip on rock and root. Makes a great front tire.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
With the trails being a mixed back of mud, wet rock, and roots, so far the excavader has done a great job keeping the front in check. Works well with the elevader rear.

In a few months, we'll see how they handle the dry season

Purchased At:   bikeroom.com

Similar Products Used:   IRC Mythos, IRC Pirhana

Bike Setup:   KHS FXT Comp

Submitted by Jim a Weekend Warrior from West Hartford, CT

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2003

Strengths:    ExcaVader: Richey WCS 1.9 $49 and 490 g’s fantastic tire, true lightweight, rolls fast and with good traction in wet/dry condition in compared to Hutchison Pyphon Lite. Good side bite wet rocks/roots and didn’t plug up in the wet, plus better in sand. Mounted easily to non-UST rims using Stan’s NoTubes. Sidewall appears to be stiffer then the Python’s and the tire appear to be a lower profile. I would rate traction as 25% better then the Phython’s and equal in speed. Good-looking tire/tread patter and rolls true, straight with no tread wander during rotation. Can’t describe dry conditions results yet here in CT, can’t wait! Ran 40 lbs pressure,

Weaknesses:    None identified

Bottom Line:
Excellant tire, added control in all situations

Favorite Trail:   Nashahegan

Similar Products Used:   Hutchison Python Lite and Alligators Gold (700g's)

Bike Setup:   AMP Research B4F4 carbon w/American Classic wheelset, Avid Disc, RaceFace, Sram, SpeedPlay, CT2 and overall 22 lbs.

Submitted by joost ooijman a Cross Country Rider from velp netherlands

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2003

Strengths:    good grip, great look

Weaknesses:    after one month they fell apart, very weak tyres, punched two tubes at back and forewheel

Bottom Line:
don't buy, unless you like changing tyres

Submitted by A. Klasuer a Cross Country Rider from Feldafing

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2003

Strengths:    Very fast XC tyre, especially on hardpack/fire roads it is amazing, how fast it is and how well it grips.

Weaknesses:    None, if you don't do downhills with it

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up on Excavader 2,1 WCS front and Elevader 2,1 WCS rear. I use them with Michelin C4 Latex Tubes (130g). Both have hold out very well a year of use on moderate soils and not too aggressive riding. I still have to find tyres that are faster on hardpack soils typical for fire roads (Conti Twister Supersonic included). And they grip like hell on this kind of surface. No flats either (self being 220 lbs and the use of light Latex tubes), as the tyres are NOT ultra light (beyong 500g). The direct ahndling should be mentioned , too. Very recommend for fast XC-Fullies or race hard-tails. Verry rrecommended. And these endure.

Similar Products Used:   Many

Bike Setup:   TREK OCLV 9900 Pro Issue 1998

Submitted by Learux a Cross Country Rider from Valencia, CA

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2003

Strengths:    Grip and looks. Low rolling resistance on asphalt

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
These are great tires. I use them in Socal where they hook up great in the loose sand on fireroads.

They were cheap $20 a tire for the pro version.

I am curious how much better the WCS version grips.

I used to ride on the old Ritchey Z maxes(the red one 2.35)and ritchey didi it again tjis tire rocks.

Very fast on aspahlt and hardpack (low rolling resistance)
and also very good grip in the climb and braking.

i am using it for a rear tire. Something inside me says teh tire wont be a great one on the front.

We will see how fast it wears. So far looks good. U got to try this tire I like it a lot

Learux

Favorite Trail:   so many to name

Purchased At:   bikeman.com

Similar Products Used:   all sorts of rubber

Bike Setup:   epic with avid disk

Submitted by Jared a Cross Country Rider from Durango, CO

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2003

Strengths:    It was free.

Weaknesses:    It is falling apart after less than 1 month use. The turning knobs are ripping off. This tire has pinched 2 tubes in the last month, even with increased pressure.

Bottom Line:
These tires were give aways. And a good thing to. They have not lasted at all.

Favorite Trail:   Kennebec Pass

Purchased At:   Give away

Similar Products Used:   Lots

Bike Setup:   Excavader Pro

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from MD

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2003

Strengths:    Price - at $9.00 a tire, you couldn't beat it. Soft compound makes it stick to the trail. Low rolling resistance so it is quick on hardpack.

Weaknesses:    Soft = quick wear. Tread pattern is not "super aggressive" but works.

Bottom Line:
I was in the market for tires and was narowing it down to either the Panaracer Fire XC or the WTB Mutano Raptor when I ran across the Ritchey Excavaders. I bought these tires based on reviews here and the sale price. I delayed this review until I had the chance to use them on the trail, plenty of asphalt miles though. On asphalt they are sweet; low rolling resistance makes them quick and the tread pattern keeps the hum down. I rode a 7 mile loop (singletrack and fire roads) that varied from dry hardpack, soft dirt, sand to swamp. The mud is thick, black swamp mud and with all the rain lately, the trail was still pretty wet. I run a FS and had the tires at 50psi each. The Ritchey's carved through the semi-dry hardpack quickly acting as if on a rail. They floated over the majority of the mud holes allowing me to quickly and cleanly traverse each mud hole. They only broke traction once in a mud hole while climbing a small hill. I stood without moving my weight back causing the rear to break traction. Rider error as I was in to tall a gear to start with! The tires didn't pick up or throw a lot of mud and they stayed pretty clean in the center. The reviews here were right on - I am extremely pleased with the Ritchey Excavaders and would recommend them to all but the Freeride/Downhill types who would need a much more rugged tire.

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Trail King & Excavader: Which one for front or back wheel?

I've got a 2.2 Trail King and a 2.1 Excavader tire. Any preferences for running either on the front or the back wheel? My typical riding is in the Pacific Northwest. I'm planning to use this combination for both summer and wet winter riding.Read More »

Schwalbe Smart Sam vs. Ritchey ExcaVader

Hi! I'm looking for new rear tire. I'm planning to put Kenda Karma 2.2 front and I can't decide between Smart Sam 2.1 and Excavader 2.1 for rear. I need a tire that would be fast roling on pavement and good for weekend XC and Single Track. Or do you have any other suggestions for my needs? Th ... Read More »

Ritchey ExcaVader Rear Tire, Please Lend Me Your Thoughts.

Anybody use this tire? Thoughts, opinions about strengths or weakness of this component. Thank you very much.Read More »

where to find WCS elevader and excavader

I cannot find any Ritchey WCS 1.9 elevader and 2.1 excavader tires in town or online. Anyone know of a good source? eBay has them from time to time but always in the wrong size.Read More »