Performance Forte Versa Trac/K Tire

• Folding Kevlar bead
  • Decrease rolling resistance

Submitted by Kelly Hawkins a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2012

Strengths:    I use an old mountain bike for touring here in Alaska (and the Yukon) since the roads are rough and isolated. These are the best tires I have ever used. No flats and minimal wear after 2000 miles. The thick tread along the center line adds a lot of protection against rocks and debris.

Weaknesses:    None so far - maybe a bit heavy for some folks, but when you are loaded down with all of your touring gear, who cares?

Bottom Line:
I would recommend this tire for anyone who wants a durable and reliable tire at the expense of added weight.

Submitted by Rehcie a Weekend Warrior from Carlsbad

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2011

Bottom Line:
This is not a review, but I just want to mention that these have disappeared from the Performance "Forte" line of tires, but I have just found a very similar product 26 x 1.95 (the exact same thread design, but no Kevlar; just wire bed) at Sport Chalet yesterday under the chinese brand Cheng Shin; normally these guys make motorcycle tires...)
They do have a label that says "Cyclepro" "swiss army tire"
I am not sure if it is something that sport Chalet always carries, or if it came from elsewhere... But for those, like me that really loved how this thread rolls on pavement, it is good news... Anyway, just wanted to share Enjoy!

Favorite Trail:   San Juan Capistrano

Purchased At:   Sport Chalet

Submitted by NOVA a Cross Country Rider from Ashburn, va

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2009

Strengths:    No flats so far (knock on wood), I like it for commuting which is a mix of crushed gravel trail and blacktop roads. The tires ride pretty well on the center ridge and keep the tubes away from the nails, tacks, and broken glass that are all over the shoulder of the roads. They have enough grip for the crushed gravel trails. I would not use these as your full time MTB tire. They don't like cornering in sand and muck.

Weaknesses:    They might be a little heavy, but its easier for me to shed a few pound than the bike to.

Bottom Line:
Not bad for a versatile tire. But like most things, once you try to combine functionality, it start to not do all the functions as well. Its not a good as a true slick on the road, and not a good a true knobbie on trails. But works better than a slick on trails and better than knobbies on the road.

Favorite Trail:   anything

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   What the LBS or performance has on sale

Submitted by nuck_chorris a Weekend Warrior from Spring,Tx,USA

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2009

Strengths:    rolls well on pavement, sheds mud quickly ,doesnt wear quickly.very capable on dirt

Weaknesses:    break in period sucks on pavement(i fell a lot of times because the front tire was not stable) there is a lot of drag when rolling fast.

Bottom Line:
although break in period really sucked the tires really improved in the next 3 weeks, they are very grippy everywhere you need it, tires are a bit heavy but i don't really mind the weight. they work great for a mornings commute . i would recommend these to anyone looking for all around tires.(abelcastillo53@gmail.com)

Favorite Trail:   anywhere with mud

Purchased At:   Preformance bike

Similar Products Used:   Kenda K rad

Bike Setup:   Trek 850

Submitted by Ryan Flowers a Weekend Warrior from Reno, NV USA

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2007

Strengths:    I'm a fat guy, 310lbs. I've tried 1.25" slicks, 2.125 slicks with a bit of inverted tread. Then, I tried these. I like them very much. I ride 12 miles round trip to work and back, and it is generally just pavement. Recently I had to ride in some mud to get around some construction, and these did great. I have no problem riding them in any condition, including rain and light snow. I've also ridden them over everything including broken glass and had no issues. The only flat I've got was from a roofing nail that would've flatted my car tire.

Weaknesses:    I'm not too demanding. I couldn't find anything wrong with them. They're sturdy and make a good commuter tire.

Bottom Line:
If you need tires that are tough and reliable, I recommend them. For street and mild dirt,they should be just fine. I like them a lot.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Forte 1.25" slick tires, 2.125" cheng shin slicks.

Bike Setup:   Early 90's fully rigid Nishiki MTB, 24 spd with racks lights and the whole commuter getup.

Submitted by PAUL BERNARDINI from ST. PETERSBURG, FLORIDA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2006

Strengths:    More speed! Great streetable mtb tire. The center ridge design works well. Very smooth and quite if you are used to riding a regular off road tire. This knobby design does not look like a typical semi. It does not look like a balding tire or a tire that scrimped on knobbys. The choices for semi-slicks are pretty lame, as suggested above. I got great bite @ 60 lbs inflation on hard packed dirt and even some muddy grassy. The kevlar belt impires confidence from sand spur punctures - a Florida thing. The weight does not seem like a big deal to me. I am using Slime "lite" tubes for even more protection.These are great-weigh the same as normal tube. A featherweight thin, but puntured tire is not much of an advantage. The fear of a flat discourages longer, meaningful or adventerous rides. At only $24/pair, this is a nice mod that you will certainly appreciate on trips through the city to outdoor concerts/festivals. You will get to the trendoid coffee boutiques much faster, allowing more time to profile in front of your bike on the sidewalks.

Weaknesses:    This is a compromise tire. The sugar sand here in Florida is a is a problem when turning. The Versa Trac 2.0 does not have the bite like the Kenda Nevagals that came on the bike. Adjust your riding accordingly when offroad and turning. You will not be a sure-footed on softpack surfaces. I noticed the front tire sliding laterally. You just need to learn to control your spin or you will be eating it. I will probably remount the Nevagal on the front next time I hit the trails. I have not tested on wet pavement. I have heard they can be scary.

Bottom Line:
I noticed a dramatic improvment on urban rides over my Kenda Nevagal 2.1. The best trails are a 45 minute drive away. I am not a bike collector and do not want to buy another bike for urban rides. I also have a pact with motorist wherein I stay clear away from traffic. I ride on sidewalks, dirt, grass or anything to keep distance from cars.

Favorite Trail:   alafia river

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight D XC package, the cheapest FS they make:>)

Submitted by Ben Stack a Weekend Warrior from Minneapolis, MN USA

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2006

Strengths:    Rolls extremely well considering it's weight. Very durable. I am using the one withouth the Kevlar Belt and have not had one flat; I basically ride over most road crap. Grips well and does not at all slip or slide over sand or gravel. Very affordable

Weaknesses:    The only real problem I have with the tire is how heavy it is. You are not going to win any races with this tire, but if you need a cheap, durable tire with good puncture resistance, this is a great choice.

Bottom Line:
If you are like me and have been in search of a fairly decent urban/street tire for your mountain bike, this tire is probably as good as most of the other so called city tires I've tried. I would like to see Performance offer this in a 1.75 with a kevlar bead to lighten it up a bit. They are on to a really good tire. I am shocked every time I look for new city tires how much garbage there is out there. Why can't any of these companies make a decent slick? It is a mystery. There is clearly a demand for high quality slicks. They are either too heavy, too expensive, so full of thick casing, the tire barely rolls. I was actually very surprised at how well this 2.0 Performance tire rolled. I think more people would use it if it were slightly lighter. 4 flamin Chilis. The weight takes one Chili off.

Favorite Trail:   basically I like to ride all over