Performance Forte Slick City ST Tire

• Decrease rolling resistance
  • High-pressure slicks designed

Submitted by traycerb a Weekend Warrior from chicago, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2008

Strengths:    cheap, completely slick

Weaknesses:    Hard to get on a std. 26" rim. needed to commit the faux pas of using tire levers to get it back on.

Bottom Line:
Used this on my mtb to use indoor on nashbar rollers during winter, as any tread/knobs caused a deafening racket. And for that, it's worked great. Haven't taken them outside yet (I switch to my knobbies), but can't imagine there would be any problems. Maybe I'll leave them on next time I'm out.

Bike Setup:   21" hard tail

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Ocean Beach San Diego CA

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2007

Strengths:    cheap fast on the shelf in stock cheap fast no flats.

Weaknesses:    none to speak of, scary in any kind of sand or loose surface but that's expected.

Bottom Line:
Over a year on one set, lots of glass city streets, not a single flat. I run at 100psi with slime liner, very happy with these.

Favorite Trail:   pavement

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   Michelin transworld (durable fat tire very slow)
Ritchey tom slick

Bike Setup:   Ti sport hardtail Morati bars/post full XTR Boone
Ti rings WTB rocket ti saddle

Submitted by Half-Fast Biker a Weekend Warrior from Hollidaysburg, PA

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2006

Strengths:    Dirt cheap price. Fairly light, one tire weighed 342 grams and the other 354 grams. Blackwall makes it more resistant to UV aging and "dry rot" compared to skinwall tires.

Weaknesses:    Thin tread rubber means it's mostly suited to road and Rails To Trails type riding, gravel or off road riding will cut up the tread and/or sidewalls

Bottom Line:
Good cheap fairly light weight tire, ESPECIALLY considering it's $10 price. This is the exact same tire as the Nashbar Slick ATB tire, the only difference is the Performance decal on the sidewall. I've had this current set on my bike for 4 months and put 1800 miles on them, mostly Rails To Trails type riding with some road and fire road use too.

I weigh 220lbs, and while the front tire still looks like new, the back tire is pretty worn out. The center of the tread has taken on a "flat" profile due to wear, and is starting to get thin. Also, the tire is suceptible to tread and sidewall cuts from gravel, moreso than compared to other "city" type tires that have SOME tread on them. I've got lots of little 1/8-1/4" cuts on the tread and sidewall of my back tire, and have had a few flats from gravel and road debris. The tread is probably only about 1/16" thick on these tires, so cuts expose the threads of the tire's carcass. I've had several tread and sidewall cuts on these tires, and Nashbar's Slick ATB tire, that went completely through the tire's body causing flats, and forcing me to "boot" the 1/8" gash on the inside of the tire. My first pair were ruined by sidewall and tread gashes caused by riding off road in cinders and gravel on fire roads and rail beds, even though the tread looked new and had plenty of original thickness.

All in all I'd say it's a good tire, especially considering it's cheap price. More suited to road riding or Rails To Trails than to fire roads or anything with sharp gravel or cinders. I'll probably buy more in the future, and just keep a lightly treaded "city" style tire on the back wheel to help durability-wise whenever I plan to ride off road...due to my weight. Considering where I've been riding with these tires (fire roads, off road, old rail beds, C&O Canal, etc) I'd say they've held up pretty well.

Favorite Trail:   Great Allegheny Passage

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Pasela TG Comp- a lighter, faster tire at 240 grams, but also more prone to sidewall cuts due to it's skinwall. This tire also aged rapidly, sidewalls dried up and got hard, and the tread rubber also completely delaminated from the tire's carcass, meaning that I could literally peel the tread off the tire from the side with my thumb....almost like a really bad re-treaded truck tire. In spite of it's Kevlar tread belt also very flat-prone.

Bike Setup:   Old school 1990 vintage Schwinn KOM-S7 hardtail with non-suspension fork.....suspension is for candy-asses !.

Submitted by Larry McNutt a Cross Country Rider from Aliso Viejo, CA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2006

Strengths:    Cheap, fast, durable

Weaknesses:    Heavier and wider than 1.0 slicks, 85 PSI max.

Bottom Line:
Some of my ride includes hardpack and pea gravel. I have been through stuff - glass and gravel on pavement - that made me wince because I just new I was going to get a flat, but never did. I roll into pea gravel at 15 mph and things still stay stable. The ride is very supple. I worry about the tire not having any tread, but so far the grip has never let me down. The downside is that if you if you are putting a road tire on your mtb, you should do it right and go to a 1.0" with 120 psi max. At 220 lbs, the tire sidewall still bulges with 85 psi. I run my tires at 90-95 psi to get rid of the bulge and I get an extra 1.5 mph from the extra pressure.

Favorite Trail:   Pacific coast highway

Purchased At:   Performance bike

Bike Setup:   Fuji Tahoe hardtail ($620) with lockout on front shock, Deore components. 22t, 32t chainrings, changed out the 44t outer ring to a 48t.