Performance Forte Sherwood XC Tire

• Uniform-height center tread pattern
  • Multi-height stepped shoulder knobs
  • Open tread design
  • Ideally suited for cross-country riding in dry trail conditions

Submitted by boludaso a Cross Country Rider from RSM, CA

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2010

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance, great grip front and rear, corners oh so well, inexpensive, light weight

Weaknesses:    Not available in a 2.3

Bottom Line:
I bought these solely to drop the rotational weight on my bike and I needed it done cheaply just to see the difference from the previous setup. So my suprise, these tires performed better in Socal than the Nevegal 2.3 tires I usually run. The 2.3's are more stable for the downhill sections, but only due to size.
These tires hookup and every terrain they've seen, climb very well, and rail turns. I'm in love with these tires. I wish they were made in a 2.3.
I hope I never have to buy another type of tire.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer smoke/dart, fire xc pro
kenda klaw, nevegal, small block 8, karma
Tioga, conti's, and many others

Submitted by bcms6 a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2010

Strengths:    Cheap, nice, low rolling resistance, light

Weaknesses:    Uphill grip, downhill grip, shock absorbancy

Bottom Line:
Good if you want a cheap tire you can use for family bike rides on mixed concrete/hard pack. Not worth considering even for hard pack fire trails like Almaden quicksilver in San Jose. I've tried them with all tire pressures from 25 to 50PSI, and cannot get grip up or down hill. Downhill is scary, tires twitch and dart over small rocks. In gravel, I can barely go above 10MPH with any confidence. It feels like slow wakeboarding.

They do roll noticeably better than softer tires, but it's not worth it, especially when you keep losing grip on any kind of incline. Perhaps they made me a better rider with improved control? Bought a new set of Kenda Nevegals, and am loving them.

Similar Products Used:   Kenda

Bike Setup:   GT Avalanche 1.0 disc (hardtail)

Submitted by darkmatter a Cross Country Rider from Omaha

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2009

Strengths:    I havve found this product to have a very low rolling resistance. The tires hook up great and are very predictable through corners. They give you a little warning if they are going to start sliding. The tires are relatively lite, Plus I haven't had a single flat with over a 1000 miles of single track.

Weaknesses:    I am not really into sporting performance gear cause I feel like a scab on group rides.

Bottom Line:
I am going to buy several more pairs of these tires when they blow them out for the season. Performance doesn't stick with products very long and I want to ride these for the years to come. I am going to try Stans with them, I believe they will perfom well

Favorite Trail:   Platte River

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   WTB Epic wolf, Mythos, panaracer duster pros, dart smoke combo

Bike Setup:   Titus racer x 80mm XTR

Submitted by michaelmiller77 a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento, CA

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2009

Strengths:    light, rolls fast, grips fairly well

Weaknesses:    punctures easily

Bottom Line:
Overall, great XC tires especially for the money. Saw them for $12 each on sale at Performance & had to try them. 26 x 2.1 folding weighs 540 grams. Unfortunately, thorns punch tire too well. Great for loose stuff and hills. Fast rolling and corners just fine on the dry stuff. Have not tried them in the wet. Just make sure to keep an extra tube handy for punctures. Would race with these, but would want something a little thicker for trekking.

Similar Products Used:   Kenda

Bike Setup:   Custom

Submitted by Potato_boy a Cross Country Rider from Houston

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2009

Strengths:    Nice full 2.1, dry hardpack, cornering, lightweight and rolls nice, oh yea.. cheap!

Weaknesses:    Yet to test on rocky terrain but my guess is that they aren't aggressive enough.. I'll update after i've spent more time with them

Bottom Line:
Really hard to beat these for the money. For the sake of our trails I don't ride after rain so I needed a tire that was excellent in dry hardpack. These are fast and grip the trail like no other. They do wiggle a lot over sand and I've yet to ride them on rocky stuff. If you ride dry rooty stuff or ride to trails these won't dissapoint.

Favorite Trail:   Anthills

Similar Products Used:   weirwolf, mythos II, dart/smoke

Bike Setup:   IH warrior Ht, 1x9, cheap wtb wheelset, run tires at 32 rear, 28 front

Submitted by biga6462 a Cross Country Rider from Houston

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2009

Strengths:    Speed, Cornering, ability to shed mud,

Weaknesses:    Not a very flashy sidewall design but who cares as long as they work.

Bottom Line:
Well I couldnt pass up a set of tires for $20 and along with having a store credit of $10 I decided to try these out. I have been wanting to try a different tire for hardpack and loose dirt instead of deep tread grips that I really dont need in Houston. To my suprise these tires have performed well so far even in a little mud yesterday. These tires are fast, grip well in mud, corner well, and do not slide out on roots. I dont know how well these would perform on rocky surfaces but I plan to find out soon. If you need a decent tire for little cash gives these a try.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson Python,IRC Mythos,Michelin All Mountain, Michelin Wildgripper, Bontrager: Jones, Jones XC, and Connection Trail,

Bike Setup:   Fuel EX 8