Panaracer TrailBlaster Tire

3.93/5 (115 Reviews)

Building onThe concept of Fire,TrailBlaster incorporates a completely new and proprietary compoundThat provides outstanding grip with excellent durability. AddTremendous weight savings and you have what could possibly beThe next XCTire king. Weighing in at a mere 520g forThe 2.1,TheTrailBlaster gives you a fullTread, full knobbyTireThat performs in all conditions, allTheTime. Size: 26x2.1 Type: Front or Rear Weight: 520 grams Pressure Rat

Submitted by Warrior til death a Cross Country Rider from Hawaii, USA

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2009

Strengths:    Was on sale, so I got a great deal! Light durable, looks sporty, & slight blue/black mix sidewall matches my frame color. Good grip on the edges yet fast enough on the hard pack. I use a tire liner & inflate tire to recommended max. pressure, so I've had no problem with looseness stretching or tube exposure. Tread wear seems very minimal(3 mos.) so far...

Weaknesses:    None to my knowledge.

Bottom Line:
I've had these tires on my bike for only 3 mos. For spending less than $30.00 on the pair. I can never complain. If these tires reach even near 1 year in life. I'll have to put them in my personal hall of fame. Think I'll stick with Panaracers when I need to go buy replacements for these. Probably upgrade to a "higher" set!!

Favorite Trail:   Mililani-Wahiawa-Waikele

Purchased At:   McCully Bicycle & Sp

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Blue Groove, Klaw & Nevagal. Maxxis Ignitor and Fu Fooey Sheng Shin brand?(dept.store) some "Chinese" made crap?!

Bike Setup:   Kona Cinder Cone Manitou fork Easton seatpost & stem Shimano derailer, hubs & shifter combo Trvativ crankset & handlebar Kona or Wellgo pedals(mood) Avid disc brakes WTB rims & saddle Blackburn lights when neccesary, Bulldog locks always neccesary.

Submitted by Tweebler a Cross Country Rider from Brookvale, PEI, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2008

Strengths:    good traction as a back tire

Weaknesses:    Fit too loosely on rim - blow off front.

Bottom Line:
I am surprised there are not more comments about how unsafe these are, especially as a front tire. I have had the tire roll off the front rim (Sun UFO) twice with the tube billowing out like putrifying bratwurst. Luckily was slow speed. A friend also had this tire do the same thing - scary if going downhill rapidly. They go on and come off without levers and quite simply, the kevlar bead is too loose. Too bad because, otherwise, seems like a great tread pattern for New England, Maritimes Canada conditions.

Favorite Trail:   McConnell Ridge

Purchased At:   Jensons

Similar Products Used:   fire, velociraptor, miche, etc.etc.

Bike Setup:   OCLV hardtail, zokes, XT, WTB, BB7 front disc...

Submitted by Rob Landwehr from Brasilia DF Brazil

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2008

Strengths:    Very light, great traction, cornering, works well in all conditions and terrains

Bottom Line:
Used for a while and tried others. I found no match
They are affordable and perfdect to all levels of XC

Purchased At:   Unibike - Brasília

Similar Products Used:   several

Bike Setup:   Astro Neptune, fork Manitou Skareb,rear shock Manitou SPV
XT group Disc Brakes M595 wheels

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Sta. Rosa, Philippines

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2007

Strengths:    Mud shedding capabilities, cornering, technical climbing, wear

Weaknesses:    None i could thinkg of

Bottom Line:
Great XC tires. Rolls fast in any condition, bites into mud substrate, Tracks and corners well

Similar Products Used:   Nevegal, Nokian NBX, Velociraptor, Leader Pro etc.

Bike Setup:   Kona Hei Hei Ti.

Submitted by Tom a Weekend Warrior from MA

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2007

Strengths:    light, good climbing traction on rocks, low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    weak sidewall, terrible front tire due to severe cornering washout

Bottom Line:
Great rear tire for XC. I have used the 1.95 and 2.1 in the rear with success in the past. They offer light-weight traction for technical climbing. On the front they are just horrible. The may roll faster in front, but they just cannot corner without washing out.
I have changed these out in favor of the Cinder front and rear. My main riding trail has changed from technical XC to a more rocky/downhill type trail. This required a wider tire to handle lower pressures and the Cinder fits the bill. I still use the TrailBlaster when I rider the technical XC trails.

Favorite Trail:   Chaos

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   many

Bike Setup:   1994 Cannondale Super V(can't seem to let it go)

Submitted by Mike Hong a Weekend Warrior from Woody Hills

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2007

Strengths:    Huge Footprint, thanks in part to my wider 28mm rims, good corner knobs and pretty light for an all-around Cross Country Tire.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Good tire so far.

Favorite Trail:   Cheesebro Sulphur Springs

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Bike Setup:   321AM Rims, MX Pro Fork, Hardtail, XC Rise Bar

Submitted by Richard a Cross Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2007

Strengths:    Fast (2.1), supple, responsive, very good cornering, very few puntures (mainly probs with the tubes), soft compound makes them grippy in all but the worst conditions, good wear have used them daily on and off road for 4 years.

Bottom Line:
These are predictable xc tyres. I emphise the word xc. As I said I use 2.1 which are probaly the best for all round riding. They are still very fast. I have found no problems with pinch flats. Obviously these tyres will wear quickly on roads they are soft compound, which means you stick to the surface like glue off and on road. I have even scaled a number of sandy slopes. These tyres require Finesse not brute force. They are quality kit that works in a fit and forget way. Totally brillant tyres.

Similar Products Used:   ritchey xc tyres

Bike Setup:   xc bianchi

Submitted by will ross a Cross Country Rider from anchorage, alaska, USA

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2006

Strengths:    Good cornering, good climbing, good stopping, Just good.

Bottom Line:
best tire i have ever used. i used them for 2 years and they were only worn out a little, then i switched to the maxxis ignitor for 3 months until they became semi slicks. So i put my trailblasters back on switching front and rear, and they are almost the same as they were new. same cornering, same climbing, same stopping. they are just a good tire. if you are into racing go with the 1.95 if you do anyting else go with the 2.1.

Favorite Trail:   heckle tooth

Purchased At:   performance bike

Similar Products Used:   maxxis ignitor

Bike Setup:   sanvic ti hardtail, avid ultimate rim brakes, sram X9, rock shox sid

Submitted by Tomas a Weekend Warrior from So Ore-gone

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight, roll pretty fast.

Weaknesses:    Wear quickly, slide on turns, spin when climbing on most any surface.

Bottom Line:
They wore out fast for an older guy who's not hard on gear. Once I replaced the front with another brand,it was clear that the rear just couldn't keep up. When cornering, it would slide out (at about 35psi for 150 lb rider)and the front would keep on tracking, thereby saving me from being body slammed into the poison oak. Any technique used while climbing out of the saddle still results in wheelspin, even on east coast bulletproof hardpack. The're lighter that most of what's out there, straightline speed is good with adequate flat protection, so racers with unlimited tire budgets might like them best. Get a bunch of 'em on sale and replace after every ride.

Favorite Trail:   Jedi

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager jones and semi, Mythos, Geax (now those were some horrible tires!) WTB Velo and Exi, et cetera.

Bike Setup:   26 lb. full susp cross country/trail, v-brakes on ceramic

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Mendham

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2006

Strengths:    Durable, does the job

Weaknesses:    Wear out quick.

Bottom Line:
I run the Trailblaster on the rear, Fire XC Pro on the front. That works. No complaints other than at times I notice the rear wears quicker than when I ran it with full Fire XC's front and back. I've tried so many other tires, WTB Velocoraptors too heavy, IRC crap, you name it. These tires are the best, period. If your serious about XC I would NOT recommend putting the Trail Blaster on the front however. Wipe out baby.

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   Anywhere

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer XC Pro

Bike Setup:   Blur, full XTR. Nuff' said.

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from Prescott, Arizona, USA

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2006

Strengths:    light weights, big side nobs

Weaknesses:    looks narrow

Bottom Line:
I just switched from the fire xc pro's to the trail blaster and I cannot tell any difference in the ride. They seem to corner just as well and may climb a little better. I ride mostly hard pack, some sand and rock and they seem great not much mud here is Arizona so I do not know how they handle when wet. So far a great light weight tire.

Similar Products Used:   panaracer fire xc pro. wtb mutano raptor 2.24

Bike Setup:   giant trance

Submitted by Jeff Fleming a Cross Country Rider from Albuquerque, NM, USA

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2005

Strengths:    lightweight, low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    lack of traction, susceptible to washing out...

Bottom Line:
This tire is a good choice for buff trails particularly when racing. It handles fairly well but lacks really good traction when cornering (1.95 width) and is susceptible to washing out in loose stuff. The tread seems agressive enough, but just doesn't bite like the Fire series of tires by Panaracer and doesn't lock up on the big rocks as well either.

Similar Products Used:   Fire XC Pro

Submitted by Jason Scheiding a Cross Country Rider from Travers City, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2005

Strengths:    Outstanding grip.Sticks like glue and rails corners like a ferarri. Super lightweight. Look good too.

Weaknesses:    1.8 is quite narrower then expected.

Bottom Line:
Best tire I have ever used period. Climbs like nothing else, corners even better. I could not be happier with my purchase. I bought another set in 2.1 for my full suspension bike. To top it off. the 1.8's cost me 15 a piece. This tire is worth way more. Id gladly pay 30 plus if I had too knowing how well they work now. Buy it , love it, forget about it, the last thing you will think about on a trail will be your tires.

Favorite Trail:   Vasa Singletrack

Purchased At:   Cambria Bike

Bike Setup:   Trek 8900 sl. Sid world cup fork.

Submitted by Luis Villanueva a Cross Country Rider from Juarez, Mexico

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2005

Strengths:    Very light, excelent grip, strong enought for XC, I feel more confortable Up hill since I try these tires.

Weaknesses:    A little thin

Bottom Line:
Just put No tubes and the tires never loose air, excelent tire for all type of terrain, I tried a lot of tires, Phyton, Michelin, Maxxis, and this is the tire that I feel right for me.......100%

Favorite Trail:   Franklin Moutain "El Monje"

Purchased At:   beyond bikes

Similar Products Used:   For me this is unique

Bike Setup:   Kona Kikapu 05, Fox Float RP3, Minute 2:00 100mm, FSA Carbon Crank,UST Mavic Croosland rims, Disc Brakes Hayes, Thomson layback seat post, Selle San Marcos, XTR the rest....

Submitted by UtahMTBeer a Cross Country Rider from Sandy, UT

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2005

Strengths:    Excellent grip, light weight, very good in loose rock

Weaknesses:    Not tested but it does not look like a good front wheel tire., fast wear

Bottom Line:
I can't understand the bad reviews here but for me this tire works really good. I have Continental Vertical PROtection 2.3 (looks like a 2.1) in the front and the TrailBlaster in the back. I Putrchased my SC Blur and it came with very thin light Kenda Karma tires. Although very light and fast for hard pack racing I tore them up on my first trip to Moab. Then I got my Conti Vertical to the front (kept Kenda Karma in the back)and was still not satisfied with how I was able to climb loose rock and gravel especially on steep hills in races. My rear wheel would always slip. So one day I got mad and read all reviews under the sun , examined all tread patterns and decided to give TrailBlaster a try on my back wheel. I was immediately able to tell a difference in climbing and the grip I was getting. Solved the problem in loose dirt and rock. As far as I am concerned, this is one superior tire and when it wears out, I will most definitely purchase another one. I would not put it on the front wheel though since I think more knoby pattern is needed there. But with the combination with Fire XC pro in the front, it might be really good.

Favorite Trail:   Wasatch Crest, Slickrock