Panaracer Razer MX Tire

Specially modified Razer knobs for greater cornering control. Razer MX is an outstanding lightweight Freeride performer. Dry hard pack use only. Super lightweight in a FULL knobby tire.

Submitted by bjrgu a Cross Country Rider from Norway

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2009

Strengths:    Great volume, fast rolling, great allround tire

Weaknesses:    Not the best in deep mud, but it's not designed for that.

Bottom Line:
Great allround tire that with god grip in most conditions. Have tried it in dry and wet with god experince as long as you not go over 40 psi. It's slippy on the first ride so it needs a "drive in" period. Here in Norway this tire is used by several of the best mountainbikers and have a lot of victorys in the Norwegian nation cup.

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe Racing Ralph, Schwalbe Noby Nic, Conti Race King

Submitted by chiplikestoridehisbike a Cross Country Rider from southeast

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2009

Strengths:    rolling resistance, light weight, durable, very easy to set up tubeless

Weaknesses:    hard compound (but wears well)

Bottom Line:
Solid tire that is fast on hard pack to slightly loose and muddy conditions. Great bang for the buck for a low profile tire. Mine measured 2.24 inches to the outside of the lugs on a DT 4.2 using digital calipers. Close enough to me for a 2.3. The casing was 2.1 inches. Would not expect great performance in mud, but looking at the tire this should be apparent. Tire rolls fast and gives me the grip I expect it to. I wish panaracer had a compound similar to conti's black chilli for this tire. I have had it slip on wet roots where conti's have not. Tire is a good combination of volume, performance and value. It is not a super light weight race tire, huge volume tire, or extra sticky super grippy tire. It does what it does well enough for me and I think it is a good tire for the right conditions. One thing to note is I have not used this tire on the front. I have a conti race king supper sonic up there right now.

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   panaracer and conti tires

Bike Setup:   Titus racer x and nashbar 853 steel hard tail

Submitted by Fasttrack a Racer from Dallas, TX

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2009

Strengths:    Light, fast

Weaknesses:    is NOT a 2.3

Bottom Line:
fast and light hardpack tire. glad someone told me what they really were, or I would have missed out on these. yeah, you'll be bummed if you were looking for a 2.3 big knobby tire. if you're going racing you'll dig 'em. don't go over 40lbs if you expect 'em to corner, which they will.

Purchased At:   rei

Similar Products Used:   too many

Bike Setup:   ellsworth sub 22

Submitted by peltierzoo a Cross Country Rider from Corvallis OR

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2009

Strengths:    Good tire shape for specific conditions for a little girl

Weaknesses:    2.3" my ass!

Bottom Line:
Round profile with low, frequent knobs.

Too bad I thought I bought a 2.3" tire.

Every 2.1 " tire have in the garage is larger in width!!!

I cannot use these tires for what I intended them for. Deep sand, hard ledgy climbs.

How much responsibility does a retailer have for carrying falsely identified products?

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   WTB, Bontrager

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Truth for XC

Submitted by slowrider a Weekend Warrior from Midway City Ca U.S.

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2009

Strengths:    Close to it's claimed 530g light weight

Weaknesses:    Not close to it's claimed 2.3 size, maybe a 2.1 at the widest part of the tread. 2.0 casing

Bottom Line:
Panaracer are lying theives, this tire measures 2.1 at best and they claim it as a 2.3. I wish these companies had to pay a penalty for things like this.
I have no idea how it rides because I didn't want a 2.1, thats why I purchased a 2.3. Don't buy this tire unless a 540g 2.1 is what you're after.

Favorite Trail:   Porc

Purchased At:   Jensen

Similar Products Used:   Conti Mountain King 2.4 Super Sonic (503g 2.35 wide) Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4 (550g 2.25")

Bike Setup:   27 lb 5 Spot

Submitted by airman a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2008

Strengths:    Light weight, fast rolling, grippy compound, good volume for XC

Weaknesses:    Very condition specific - dry, hardpack only... A bit on the small side for a 2.3

Bottom Line:
Great tire for cross country hardpack. Better in sand than some of the other fast rolling tires, but it's not really intended for that is it? This is a tire with a bit of an identity crisis. It is marketed as a full knobby freeride tire, But I found it better as a semi-slick cross country tire. For XC, it has great volume and light weight. Traction is excellent in hardpack and short (dry) grass. I can see how some riders would have a problem using them in loose, muddy or sandy conditions. If you had a good look at the tire beforehand, it would be pretty obvious. I'd rate it highly for a fast XC tire at a reasonable price. If you ride in loose or wet stuff you would need to be a very skilled rider to make this tire work. Rather than flame this tire by rating it for conditions it isn't suited for, I give this tire 3 chilies for performance and 4 for value...

Similar Products Used:   Conti Twister, Python, Kenda Kozmik Lite II, Schwalbe Ralph

Bike Setup:   Full suspension cross country

Submitted by Jordan a Cross Country Rider from Byron Center

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2007

Strengths:    Great traction, plush ride, lightweight, corner to corner confidence

Weaknesses:    not the greatest in super wet conditions

Bottom Line:
Great tire for hardpack to medium conditions. Be careful to not run to high of pressure in these tires, I have a feeling thats what happened in the previous review. I tried running them at 50psi, and had cornering issues. I re road the trail with 38-40psi in the tires and it totally changed my opnion. These tires transition from side to side very easily. The only time I have really not liked these tires is in 5 inches of snow (but what tire does do well?) overall these are all day fast tires. they are not xc racers, nor are they all mountain to free ride tires. They are a high volume comfortable easy to use tire.

To properly set the bead when installing I had to crank these things to 65 psi, it was pretty scary hearing a 2.3 wide tire pop like it did, but afterwards they were fine

Similar Products Used:   maxxis ignitor, maxxis cross mark, panaracer fire xc's,

Bike Setup:   C-dale 1fg, hope mono mini's, easton carbon bars, and seat post, DMR revolver hubs with salsa delgado race disc.

Submitted by Mat a Weekend Warrior from Nottingham, UK

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2007

Strengths:    Fast on straight hardpack and climb well in the dry, grip on road.

Weaknesses:    Terrible at anything other than going in a straight line.

Bottom Line:
As soon as it gets a little bit dusty, or there are pine needles on the ground, or it's a little bit damp, or you catch a wet root, these tyres loose all composure.

They give you a sense of riding on ice and whilst I can climb in a straight line much faster, as soon as the single track becomes interesting these tyres let you down.

Cornering is a lottery and this, in turn, wrecks any sense of confidence. They also have a tendancy to catch on the side of any small ridge running parallel to your direction of movement and rather then mount it or deflect off they snap sideways throwing you over the handlebars.

I had never experienced this until I fitted these tyres but it has happened to me 4 times now in the last few weeks.

I choose these MX's because they had the raised tread and I thought they would be a nice lightweight summer tyre but they can't cope with anything other than hardpack and in reality who actually rides only in those very specific conditions other than certain competition riders? Most mortals encounter a vaiety of conditions on any ride and these tyres cannot cope!

Be warned, don't by anything with no reviews on MTBR!

Learn from my very expensive mistake!

Favorite Trail:   The Pines

Similar Products Used:   WTB Motoraptor, Bontragers, Hutchinson Spider, Panaracer Fixe XC pro, Panaracer Trailraker

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance running Rockshox Reba sl's, Mavic Crossride wheelset and Raceface finishing stuff

Pana Razer MX... but with more "shoulder"

I like the Panaracer Razer MX 2.3's weight, air volume, and low rolling resistance, but the profile is a little (too) "round" for my tastes. Is there something out there that's similar, but with a more pronounced "shoulder"?Read More »

Panaracer Razer MX 2.3 measurements

So, lets please keep this thread on point. I aired up the new Razer MX yesterday am. I measued it with the calipers this morning after it had time to settle in a bit. I measured a casing width of 2.1 and outside knob to outside knob width of 2.2. For comparisons my 2.1 Nobby Nic has a casing dia ... Read More »