Panaracer Rampage Tire

3.75/5 (36 Reviews)

Hot newTread pattern from Panaracer in 26" or 29" sizes. Lightweight folding kevlar bead, with ZSGTread compound for outstanding grip and durability. 26" - 700 grams, 29" - 788 grams All-mountain, all-conditionsTread pattern High air volume casing 35-55 PSI

Submitted by jjcools

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2014

Strengths:    Solid tire for a good price, size seems fine on wider rims (29er version).

Weaknesses:    Tends to wash out a little in the front if you are on dry composite type dirt like in the desert.

Bottom Line:
I have had these tires for a couple of seasons now and have run them tubed and tubless with no problems. I really like the tire when the dirt is somewhat damp or in higher altitude forest climates. The mud has a tendancy to cake on these knobs which was no good for my rear tire since the clearance was not abundant so I swapped out the rear for a smaller Conti tire.

I moved to Vegas a few months ago and the grip on the hard desert dirt is not as good but still acceptible. The rocks have not destroyed the tire over the last few rides so that is good.

Submitted by thegoodword

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2013

Strengths:    Can run tubeless despite being a non UST tire.

Weaknesses:    Heavy with rolling resistance

Bottom Line:
I ran them with tubes and had to run 38psi to get optimal traction. I run them at 33-35psi tubeless with great success. If you are looking for traction this is your tire. These are not a race tire, but a rider's tire. I am currently running the non-tubeless Rampage with Stan's sealant on Sun/Ringle/Stan's Black Flag wheels and Stan's ZTR Flow rims. About the time they no longer will hold air on a tubeless rim, the knobs are worn down and need replacing anyway.

Submitted by Jeff

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2013

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    HEAVY, false advertising

Bottom Line:
This tire measures out at 2.0 with a digital caliper. Supposed to be 2.35...not even close. 800grams for a 2.0 tire is totally unacceptable

Submitted by thoe99 a Racer

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2012

Strengths:    kevlar reinforcement, grippy on pavement

Weaknesses:    slightly higher rolling resistance, slightly heavier

Bottom Line:
I bought a set of these tires mainly to combat my flat tire issue. In FL, there are thorns everywhere and I would average one or two flat tubes every time I went off-roading. I then tried tire liners. That cut my chances down in half, as I was still getting punctures where the liners were not covering. I finally bought these kevlar tires and have not had a flat since (3 months now).

These tires grip and corner incredibly well on pavement. They're pretty loud on pavement or packed dirt roads. Since they run 2.35 (they're actually 2.25 measured), they theoretically have more surface area that hits the ground, which means more rolling resistance. I can kind of feel it, versus my previous set of tires, but it's been well worth the trade-off of no flat tubes.

Favorite Trail:   Chuck Lennon in FL

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Small Block8 29x2.1 with Mr. Tuffy tire liners

Bike Setup:   2012 Motobecane Fantom 29PRO SL, Panaracer Rampage 2x2.35 kevlar tires, Bontrager Evoke R saddle; for full list of components, go here: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom29pro_SL_xii.htm

Submitted by xfimpg a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2011

Strengths:    Stable feeling, cornering, grip.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Unbelievable tire. Biked for 10+ hours these past 2 days and never lost grip once. Absolutely stoked about these tires. Replaced XC Fire Pro 2.1 with these in a 2.35 and they are incredibly responsive, stable ride, and corner like on rails.
Very easy to install on rims, contrary to the XC Fire Pros which are a PITA.

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer XC Fire Pro 2.1

Bike Setup:   Giant Anthem X4

Submitted by hodaddy2001 a Downhiller from PyeongTaek South Korea

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2011

Strengths:    If your weak at trailside tube repair buy these you will be an expert after a couple trail runs

Weaknesses:    Wash out anywhere anytime no warning, If you sneeze they will pinch flat

Bottom Line:
If your putting these kinda pricey tires to ride back and forth to work or I dont know running to the store to grab some bread great. The occasional light trail ride with the Wife great. Anything where you might need some trust in your grip forget about it they will fail you. I really tried to give them a fair shake. I put them front and back. I have washed on all terrain, Pinch flatted too many times to count. I tried different tubes, Running different pressures can not find the right combination except Replace them

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere pointed down

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Intense DC,Fro Lites,Minions,Holy Rollers Too many to carry on

Bike Setup:   Transition Bottle Rocket,Azonic Outlaws

Submitted by rockcrusher a Weekend Warrior from Tucson, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2011

Strengths:    This is a great all arounder tire. The volume is good, the grip is predicable and the compliance is a perfect.

Review based on 29er version.

Weaknesses:    I never really found any.

Bottom Line:
I like this tire, it is easy to set up tubeless, had nice volume and the grip is predicable in both cornering and climbing/braking. I used these for at least 9 months at a time without the wear getting to the point where I noticed a degradation in performance.

Some say they don't roll well but I found them no less laborious to roll as the Geax Saguaro which is often said to be a good rolling tire.

I generally rode the front tire in reverse of the rear with the rear set to climb and the front set to brake.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky ones

Purchased At:   Trisports.com

Bike Setup:   Salsa El Mariachi Rigid

Submitted by dysonsphere a Weekend Warrior from Oxford, UK

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2011

Strengths:    Grips like I am glued to the ground. I was astonished by how at one me, the bike and the ground were when I took them cross country with it wet and muddy.

Weaknesses:    None yet found

Bottom Line:
I am very happy with them. I felt like I could ride horizontally on a wall and they'd keep me attached. I suspect there are better known tyres out there but I have no idea how a tyre could keep me more attached to the planet than this does.

Favorite Trail:   Anything with trees and sunshine

Similar Products Used:   None to speak of

Bike Setup:   XTC3

Submitted by nickcarll a Weekend Warrior from Biddeford, Maine, USA

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2010

Strengths:    Traction. these things hook up and don't let go. tough as nails

Weaknesses:    a bit heavy and a bit slow but the hookup like crazy so who cares. seem to wear fast.

Bottom Line:
bottom line is this kids I bought these because a buddy bought nev's and loved them. I bought the rampages because they are a tad cheaper. I run them the direction they say front with the rear flipped for traction and since mounting these bad boys up I have cleared stuff the previous tires have slid out on. The rampages hook up in everything I've thrown at them. going up rock faces is one place where these things really shine for me. there is a section on a local trail where you ride a short distance, 6-7 feet, across the slope of a rock and on to the top of it, Rampages stand their ground while other people i ride with slip.
Rampages are also tough as hell i ride on alot of jagged rock, and my local trail system is also a party spot for kids IE a ton of broken glass. I have yet to get a flat because of either one. Rode these in the winter in maine also. hooked up nicely on snow. better then expected.

Favorite Trail:   clifford park

Purchased At:   eBay ben's cycles ma

Similar Products Used:   Exi's

Bike Setup:   Gt peace 9r ss BB7's surly hubs semi disc hoops origin 8 carbon fork. rampages

Submitted by Mule Ears a Cross Country Rider from Sierra Vista, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2009

Strengths:    -Grippy in loose-over-hard conditions
-Mounts perfectly to WTB Laser Disc rims
-High volume cush

Weaknesses:    -Slow on pavement/hardpack
-Kinda heavy

Bottom Line:
Excellent tires for my full-rigid bike. At 35psi they give a nice fat-tire-suspension effect to soften rocky trails. They're the fattest tires that fit between the stays of the D460 with any clearance, and they mount beautifully to the Laser Disc rims. (Can be a struggle to seat the bead with Ignitors and Kenda SB8s; the Rampages pop right into place.) Riding full-rigid on the rocky trails of Arizona probably isn't smart, but it's a lot easier with these fat, grippy tires.

Favorite Trail:   Brown Canyon

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Ignitor

Bike Setup:   Redline D460 full-rigid 29er, 1x9 drivetrain

Submitted by bigballs a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap tubeless set.

Weaknesses:    Round. NOT a 2.35 as claimed. Flexy in the corners. Washouts galore. Terrible hookup on loose terrain. Ugg.

Bottom Line:
29er tire market is limited in 2.35. Going to try the Halo Choir Master next.

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   What is w/ the 29er market going all cross-country all the time. It reminds me of 1995.

Bike Setup:   Niner Rip 9. Stan's flow w/ King hubs.

Submitted by north20 a Cross Country Rider from Washington state

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2009

Strengths:    A fantastic front tire, and works very well as a rear tire as well. Tread is a near copy of the Nevegal, but I prefer these as they have been much more durable with less rolling resistance. And they work everywhere - one of the best all-around tires I've used. I know some folks have reported mud and in-the-wet problems, but I find them to be fine in such conditions; I've certainly used far worse.

Weaknesses:    Only one in my experience: it comes up short on tactile 'feel' for lack of a better word. I don't want to say they feel dead - because they don't - but there is a lack of knowing how they are reacting to the terrain underfoot as it were.

Bottom Line:
Other than the slightly vague feeling described in the Weaknesses section, I consider this one of the best tires I've ridden. A friend rides them in the 29er version exclusively - at this point it's the only tire he'll even put on that bike.

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegals being the closest in similarity ... but so, so many tires tried.

Submitted by superhank26 a Cross Country Rider from Eagle, CO

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2009

Strengths:    This tire is awsome!! I have rocked it for 2 seasons now. One gnarly east coast season and one sweet flowy season in Colorado. The side knobs are super grippy in all conditions. The center tread it very efficient rolling for how agressive it is. This tire maintains good traction strait and cornering at higher pressure.

Weaknesses:    Not done in UST

Bottom Line:
These tires are great for a true trail rider. Rocks, roots, mud, hardpack and dust surfing these tires do it all and do it well. they may be a little agressive for a racer and light for some burly AM riding and downhill.

Favorite Trail:   can't tell you folks

Purchased At:   shop where i work

Similar Products Used:   Nevengal, 2.4 and 2.1 Fire,Smoke/dart, Specialized Resolution, Python, WTB ExiWolf

Bike Setup:   07 Stumpjumper King/Mavic 819 wheels and other candy parts.

Submitted by suvacrew a Racer from Lafayette, CA

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2009

Strengths:    Actually sheds mud!! Great cornering.

Weaknesses:    The ramps on the center treads takes a little away from the braking.

Bottom Line:
The adobe soils in our area are a drag if your tires won't shed the muck. The Nevegals I used to ride, adhered to any clays that were saturated beyond a dry cake mix, they could get a 28LB bike to weight in at 60LBs on a could muddy climb.
The Rampages have just enough tapering on the knobs to fling of the mud, they corner great and aren't reliant on a single center tread bead. I was a fan of the XC Fires on the 2.1-XC realm and the Rampages are now my new favorites in the 2.35 AM space.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Joaquin Miller Park

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   XC Fire 120 tpi, Kenda Nevegals, Small Block 8, WTB Velociraptors.

Bike Setup:   SC Blur LT2. XO, WCS Ritchey, Juicy Carb, Easton Havoc AM, Joplin remote, Talas 140 RLC and RP23 rear.

Submitted by foot hill a Weekend Warrior from burson ca

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2008

Strengths:    they make me happy while cornering.light for size 2.35 and 700gns

Weaknesses:    wet rocks, 2.35 nevagels sticky compound grip the wet rocks better.

Bottom Line:
these tires are hard to beat for the price and weight. I ran them tubeless w stans for about a weak but chickened out and put tubes back in. the side walls are very thin but never had any problems pinching tubes. @ 28 ft 32 r. this tire corners very hard on loose and hard pack. it is very predictable when it does drift and makes two wheel 20mph drifts lots of fun. have been looking for a better set up but have not found one yet.

Favorite Trail:   downieville ca

Purchased At:   jt cycles sonora ca