Panaracer Pyro Tire

Weight : 620 grams <br>(26 x 2.25) MSRP : $34.95

Panaracer Pyro

Submitted by benjamin mays a Weekend Warrior from fla

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2008

Strengths:    phenominal traction and flotation in loose and soft terrain ie: sand, mud, gravel.

Weaknesses:    terrible on the road or hard slick surfaces.

Bottom Line:
these are awsome tires for trail riding in soft or sloppy conditions. great for loose terrain.

Favorite Trail:   santos bike park / ocala fl

Similar Products Used:   big kahuna / paddle type tire

Bike Setup:   hard tail mtb in central florida.

Submitted by Kim Weighous a Cross Country Rider from Mena, Arkansas USA

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2006

Strengths:    Good rubber compond, fair cross section shape

Weaknesses:    Poor cornering traction, cornering instability, large blocks tend to grab, then let go, tends to shoots rocks, large blocks have lots of rolling resistance.

Bottom Line:
I have always had good luck with Panaracer - until I bought these tires. I wanted to try some large air volume tires, and I chose these over Continental Vertical mostly due to $10 per pair lower price. I don't think they have AS MUCH air volume as the Hutchinson Python Elites 2.0 they replaced, and are certainly not nearly as supple. The large blocks tend to catch on anything and everything on the trail, throwing rocks at squirrels, deer, fellow bikers or anything else that gets in the way with a very annoying "SPROING" about every 20 seconds. The large center blocks tend to squirm on rocks and pull the steering and also feel rough and inefficient under power. Worse yet, the large crosshatched side blocks are very unstable in high speed corners and tend to catch on rocks, then slide off, giving a very unsure cornering feel. I think they might be good on mud, but I don't ride on mud unless I have to. They are almost bad enough to take off and throw away - but I'll hold on at least until they get a few months wear on them. I would definitely spend the $10 and get the Continentals if I had it to do over again - one of the worst, no probably the worst, tires I have ever owned.

Favorite Trail:   Moab

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Lots O' tires

Bike Setup:   Motobecane Fantom DS, Rock Shox Revelation U-Turn, XT, XTR

Submitted by Dustin Leonard a Weekend Warrior from Las Cruces, NM, Dona Ana

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2006

Strengths:    The traction is great! Its very strong, and didn't chunk knobs at all. I would occasionally "air down" for even more traction, and this tire would take it on the cheek with a smile.

Weaknesses:    Lots of rolling resistance. Once I wore it out, I went to a different tire, and could immediatly see the difference in how much drag it has.

Bottom Line:
If you're not into being #1 on race day, but you want more traction than you'll ever need, this is the tire.

Favorite Trail:   Dona Anas

Purchased At:   Ride on Sports

Similar Products Used:   Nothing with that much traction

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000 '05

Submitted by Erik Hagen a Cross Country Rider from Norway

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2005

Strengths:    Lovely light for its width 2.25 (654g own measure), fantasic cool black looks, stunning grip in dry conditions up, down and sideways.

Weaknesses:    Well I admit a tad nervousness when riding over wet roots on the singletrail

Bottom Line:
Used as a pair, a set of tires who really inspire to hard XC riding! Panaracer is yet the Duke of MTB-tires!

Favorite Trail:   Furuberget, Hamar

Purchased At:   chainreactioncycles.com (UK)

Similar Products Used:   WTB Nanoraptor, Panaracer Fire XC

Bike Setup:   My sweet Gary Fisher Sugar 2+ with an iron strong Manitou Black Comp 120 mm up front while my Fox cleans up a good old 100 mm rear wheel travel

Submitted by Bill Haq a Weekend Warrior from Coquitlam, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2002

Strengths:    Price, straight line traction, widely spaced tread indicates good mud shedding ability.

Weaknesses:    Very little lateral traction. The rear end washes out on anything remotely moist, especially wet logs. Sidewall seems very thin.

Bottom Line:
Another "freeride" tire. If you ride in dry conditons, the tire will wash out noticeably in loose stuff. If you can stand that, then it is a good buy for the money. Forget it if you ride in the wet unless you don't mind dismounting to get over logs.

Favorite Trail:   Triple Crown, Nicoles, Buttafuco

Purchased At:   Blak Dog Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Michelin DH Comp16 Soft, Panaracer Smokes

Bike Setup:   2001 Specialized Enduro Sport with a lot of upgrades.

Submitted by Joe H. a Cross Country Rider from Buckley, Wa usa

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2002

Strengths:    The size is perfect for my green meany HT. I can't get a bigger one on the back. Rolls fast anyways(big lugs). Adds suspension to a hardtail. I can take the tire on and off without tools...easily.

Weaknesses:    Sidewalls are so very thin. No ripping of sidewall but I could see this happening....anytime.

Bottom Line:
This is a good performing tire. I am suprised it has lasted this long with the thin sidewalls. Until I rip the sides open I am happy with this tire. Good climbing up and over things. Rolls fast enough. Sounds great on pavement...Hum V. Due to the thin sidewalls you are gambling really with a tear happening sometime. So I am giving it a lower score all together. But I do dig this tire so I'm going to raise it back up. Take your own risks. If it doesn't work out don't blame me!

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Similar Products Used:   Many tires. Friends come to me first(my pile) before shopping at the bike shop.

Bike Setup:   I have big fat freeky tires on my HT's. Too cheap to by real suspension he..he.

Submitted by Ed from Lakewood, Ca

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2002

Strengths:    Big lugs hook up well on climbs and on brakeing sections. Large volume gives a plush ride, even at hi press ( 40 psi )

Weaknesses:    Thin sidewall

Bottom Line:
Very good tire for rear applications. Sheds mud well. fairly good traciton on hardpack. The large volume eases the rough ride of the hardtail. I've scuffed the sidewalls enough that i can see the underlying casing. Luckily, I haven't had the sidewall blowouts that many have written about. Overall, a very good rear tire.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Bike Setup:   Hardtail Schwinn Moab

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Sutton, MA. USA

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2002

Strengths:    Good tread design, hooks up well. 2.25 size is ideal in back

Weaknesses:    Side wall is way to thin. Got a sidewall blowout on almost every ride with this tire. S-canned the tire after 1 month and a roll of duct tape.

Bottom Line:
Don't waste your money on this tire unless you like fixing flats.

Purchased At:   CBO

Similar Products Used:   WTB V-raptors, these are the way to go.

Submitted by Paul a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2002

Strengths:    great traction on climbs
sheds mud well

Weaknesses:    feels squirmy at low pressures

Bottom Line:
Great rear tire for the price. I switched from this from some Wildgrippers, and the performance gain on climbs has been remarkable. Not in terms of weight, mind you, but much better traction. I wouldn't recommend this tire if you like to run really low pressures b/c it feelish a bit squemish. On the other hand, the knobs are so big, that low pressures aren't really necessary.

Favorite Trail:   backbone

Submitted by Alan a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2002

Strengths:    Pretty good in snow

Weaknesses:    Not too good off camber, sidewall rips easily

Bottom Line:
Three of us have these tires on our bikes and none of us are too happy with them. They seem to really slide in high speed off camber sections, where you least want something like that to happen. My side wall blew out after less than 10 rides- a first. I guess the price is ok but they aren't confidence inspiring at speed and don't dig in like they should.

Favorite Trail:   templeton

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   too many to list- there's about 30 old tires in my shed

Bike Setup:   Titus Locomoto, z-1 cr, xt/sram, motoraptor 2.4 up also tried it on my Indy Fab just to see - bad idea

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from Providence, RI

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2002

Strengths:    Grip, ride, comfort & stability. I was surprised that these tires, considering their size gave me a decent ride on the black top to the trails. For a 2.25 you can safely run non-downhill specific tubes with these tires high profile.

Weaknesses:    ZIPPO

Bottom Line:
Look, these tires are sweet, no phenomenal. I'm a XC rider who likes to hit any crazy ride I can find and from the first hill I hit these tires blew me away. They give a soft ride with incredible grip that allows you to toss mud..They appear to be no larger than a 2.0 after setting them up, but the track left behind looks to be half again the size of my IRC 1.9's...so what I'm saying is, that these tires have an incredible area of contact which = GREATER TRACTION & CONTROL. Unless you race, BUY them!

Purchased At:   Supergo.com

Similar Products Used:   IRC Mythos(not bad tires), Vredestein.

Bike Setup:   Marin Nail Trail with Thomson Elite stem & post..Azonic Fusion pedals, Ritchey grips.... other wise all stock.

Submitted by ken walters a Weekend Warrior from vancouver,bc canada

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2001

Strengths:    great climing tire works awesome on rocks and roots 2.25 size can be air down 4 traction and comfort

Weaknesses:    none!

Bottom Line:
if your a climing free rider get it in 2.25 and put a fire pro dh 2.3 on the front; air the front down to 31 psi, air the back to 38 and injoy the plush ride

Favorite Trail:   Anal intruder/ whistler,bc

Purchased At:   mec

Similar Products Used:   irc mythos fire pro xc

Bike Setup:   trek 6000zx psylo xc xt derailuirs avid arch rival vbrakes
fire pro dh monkey bar ea70 risers pazzaz cnc stem

Submitted by Jon a Cross Country Rider from New York

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2001

Strengths:    great rear tire. I never lost traction! even on slippery climbs it held its own. great allrounder, sheds mud well
great tred design, get the 2.25

Weaknesses:    well none really after 6 months of hard riding on it I went on a new trail and tore the sidewall on a sharp rock sticking out on the side of the trail.

Bottom Line:
great trail riding tire. I reccommend the 2.25 since it
hooks up better. get it.

Favorite Trail:   Mta

Purchased At:   pricepoint?

Similar Products Used:   michelins and contis (they dont compare the panaracers)

Bike Setup:   fire xc pro 2.1 kevlar up front and pyro 2.25 kevlar on the rear

Submitted by Tom Diaz a Cross Country Rider from Misawa Air Base, Japan

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2001

Strengths:    Fantastic in soft sand, mud, and on rock. Very supple ride. Durable and resistant to destruction (but not puncture, of course)by big, mean thorns.

Weaknesses:    None, for my use.

Bottom Line:
Simply the best rear tire I've found for riding across all types of desert terrain. It's taken incredible abuse and bled a lot less than me. It can run at very low pressure for sand crawling, and really grip some bare rock on steep climbs. I can't wait to see how it handles the soft terrain here in Northern Japan!

Favorite Trail:   Wandering Mojave Desert

Purchased At:   SUPERGO

Similar Products Used:   Too many manly-looking ATB tires to list.

Bike Setup:   Schwinn S-20 with WTB Terrano-Raptor (excellent in desert)on front, with a geeky desert commuter seatpost rack and many lights.

Submitted by Nick Henscheid a Cross Country Rider from seattle

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2001

Strengths:    Digs into mud & sand like a fat man on thanksgiving. Corners really well and dosen't slip at all on climbs.
looks great on your ride.

Weaknesses:    Sucks on road, but hey, it's not designed for that.

Bottom Line:
This is a great rolling tire on just about anything you ride. It might slip a little on super hardpack, but if you're riding that kind of terrain get a different tire. It sticks like glue on muddy corners, and climbs like a dream. They're a little weighty, and the sidewalls look like they might bust at any second, but i've not had any problems doing wheelie drops and riding through thorns. This is a great tire and it's not too expensive, either.

Favorite Trail:   local

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   Many, many.

Bike Setup:   Khs team st with manitou sx-r and XT components (nice...)

Pyro's Intoduction Post

Well, this is my second post, but since I feel like I have to introduce myself to every new community I find myself in, I figured I'd augment the first one a little into a honest "intro post". Obviously I'm brand new to the forums, to Marin bikes, and sort of new to the world of cycling in general. ... Read More »

anybody using titec pyro scoper

mtbr reviews page for this product seem too one-sided, so just postin' this to see if anybody got any experience. my plan is to use it on bighit. and no I can't afford a $250 seatpost.Read More »

titec pyro scoper seatpost?

do they make this in a 27.2mm version? All i can find online is 30.0 and the 31mm version. too bad their website is funked up right now. cheersRead More »

Hey Pyro...

was that you I saw at Northstar on the Dee'Lux who did the spectacular endo on the rail? If it was that was freakin awesome.Read More »