Panaracer Fire XC Pro Tire

4.28/5 (745 Reviews)
Weight : 580 g MSRP : $26.98

Before requesting a pricematch onThis item, check ifThe competition is sellingTheTrue, made in JapanTop-quality 127TPI Fire XC Pro. Watch out for inferior, 66TPITaiwan versions ofThisTire which are much heavier. The Panaracer Fire XC Pro isThe recipient of Bicycling Magazines 2004 "Editors Choice" award for "Best all-mountainTire". Give em aTry and find out whyThey areThe choice ofThousands of riders. Lightweight all conditionTire with a splash of color (all color styles have red bead). Japan.

Submitted by AOtero a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2016

Strengths:    Long tread life
Fast rolling
Decent on all kinds of terrain (though roots can slide ya)

Weaknesses:    Get full of mud easily

Bottom Line:
This is the third type of tire I've run on my GF Pirahna hardtail. Bontranger stock (garbage) Panaracer Dart/Smoke combo, then these. I have to say that I initially enjoyed the faster speed and decent and predictable cornering the Fire XC Pros provided. Can you find a better tire? Sure. Have I? No. And for under $30(US)!

Favorite Trail:   Dear Foot - Mt. Penn

Duration Product Used:   3 years

Submitted by bgfthntr

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2014

Strengths:    soft soil, cornering, long wear, mud ok, sand...its just a great all around tire

Weaknesses:    color side walls and old and panaracer should make a higher volume or 2.35 version

Bottom Line:
I've been using these on and off for years and they never have failed me. The only place where it has difficulty is REALLY wet and slimy rooted sections, but most tires struggle here as well.

Submitted by jack

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2014

Strengths:    none.

Weaknesses:    Side walls will fail. The product seems to have a design flaw that causes the sidewalls to tear.

Bottom Line:
Not worth the money!! Any other tire is better. This is the worst tire that I have had in the many years that I have been mountain biking.

Submitted by Abel a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2013

Strengths:    climbing grip, weight

Weaknesses:    sidewalls

Bottom Line:
I put this tire on my stumpjumper back in 2009. Always impressed with the grip, even when I stand up on the pedals. Wet or dry, I have been very happy with this tire. Last week I hit a root and busted the side wall. I figure 3 years is a good run, I'll be getting another set.

Favorite Trail:   Marshall Canyon

Purchased At:   REI

Submitted by SPANNER

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2013

Strengths:    Great Grip inspires confidence on all surfaces. Love this tire.

Bottom Line:
I had Kenda Nevegals on my bike as standard which I was happy with. They wore out and I replaced them with these after reading many reviews. I am glad I did. I like to run my tyres with a higher pressure than many seem to. These are really grippy. I have used them on all types of surface and they have performed exceptionally well. I have a lot of confidence in these tyres and am pleased with how they have allowed me to build my skill level. I would recommend them.

Submitted by Barky

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2013

Strengths:    ??????????great traction that I was looking for and excellent handling at a good price

Weaknesses:    None for me love these tire's

Bottom Line:
You want to rip up the trails and stay on you bike you can't go wrong with these

Submitted by hazim hayazi a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2012

Strengths:    price,nice grip,price,long lasting and cornering

Weaknesses:    slow on pavement and noise

Bottom Line:
honestly,this tyre had a nice cornering.before i use this tyre,i try to corner on dirt.Suddenly,i fell down..and no safety guard.After i use this panaracer 2.1,i can easily cornering on the dirt.thanks for this tyre.

Submitted by Riding12Years

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2012

Strengths:    Good for getting you killed.

Weaknesses:    Side of the tire blew out within 2 months of riding. Beware there may be a defective batch of these tires being sold and could cause you serious injury. My previous tire was a WTB Velociraptor. Sometimes on a tight turn I will give the rear tire an extra tinge to cause a little sliding to straighten my path. The Velociraptor rear would slide in a predictable manner, however the Panaracer tends to slide out from underneath you causing you overshoot the sliding effect and lose time. I'm still going with Velociraptor in the front, so I can't tell you how they grip in front. With my friends recent blowout, however, I plan on returning what I have and getting something safer.

Bottom Line:
Bad batch of defective tires.

Submitted by Weston Merkley

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2012

Strengths:    Great traction climbing and cornering. Price. Rolls fairly well for an aggressive tread.

Bottom Line:
Have had this tire on the back of two of my bikes and am always amazed that a cheap tire like this hooks up so well. I ride on the dry, gravel on hardpack kind of trails and have had great luck with this tire. Ran it tubeless and with tubes. I would definitely reccomend this tire.

Submitted by OmaHaq a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2012

Strengths:    Light, good grip, flexible case.

Weaknesses:    Aging design, hard to find the 26x1.8 size, colors are a little over done.

Bottom Line:
I have been running the 26x1.8 size on one of my bikes for a long time. It has been a really good recreational tire. Moderate XC is not a problem for these and they are perfectly fine for commuting as well. The tread design is getting quite old, but it seems to still be comparible to new designs. I have had a hard time finding the 1.8 size.

I am not a fan of colored sidewalls anymore.

Similar Products Used:   WTB Vulpine 1.9

Bike Setup:   Franken-bike

Submitted by gmarchie12 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2012

Strengths:    a good all-arounder. decent grip, decent weight, decently low rolling resistance, decent price, decent longevity.

Weaknesses:    mud is not as great. smaller than most 2.1 currently found today. could also be expensive since a lot of people like these

Bottom Line:
this is a good tire. it lasts for a long time. not exactly "exceptional" on any particular characteristics but could be rated "very good" for most characteristics except for maybe mud which i would rate as "average"

Bike Setup:   currently on my singlespeed

Submitted by JP a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2012

Strengths:    Great tire no matter where I ride, from NC, GA to the sand in FL. Great tire for training. I never did Tubeless, just run standard inner tubes and flats are really rare, even with those FL sand spurs.

Weaknesses:    Cornering in sandy conditions is a bit tough, but I have not found one that really works with sand anyway. I prefer a smaller knob for racing.

Bottom Line:
A great tire that won't break the bank, is useful in many conditions, and comes in complementary colors.

Favorite Trail:   Alafia State Park, FL

Purchased At:   Blue Sky Cycling

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakota Elite

Submitted by Andre Gallant

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2012

Strengths:    decent weight for the money, good tread, durable

Weaknesses:    not many given the price

Bottom Line:
great value, pretty much an all-purpose tire

Submitted by TruTone

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2012

Strengths:    Supple 120 TPI casing, at lower pressures feels like springy extra suspension. Feels great to ride on.
Great grip on hardpack, pavement and rock
Can be run front or rear
Not terrible on weight
COLORS.
Good value

Weaknesses:    Slow on pavement (obviously)
older tire design

Bottom Line:
This is a great go-to tire for the average mountain biker with average terrain. If most of your riding is on hardpack or tacky dirt and you want a tire that goes up as well as it goes down, look to the XC Pro. Works great as a front tire and a rear tire, but the tire's a bit on the small side. Awesome hook up on hardpack, not shabby in the shallow sand. Not heavy but man is the casing supple! I love running these at a lower pressure but there are definitely possibilities to pinch flat. Seems to run best around 35 in the rear and 30 in the front. Lower if you run tubeless but I have no experience running these tubeless, and I wouldn't recommend it as the sidewalls are pretty thin.

Submitted by jav280zx a Weekend Warrior from Centennial, CO

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2012

Strengths:    Price, great grip, long lasting. Okay, I like the color too.

Weaknesses:    They have spun out on a few climbs but generally these are great all around tires.

Bottom Line:
These tires are great for XC. I have been very happy with the traction and I have had no issues. I purchased these tires after reading the reviews on MTBR.com, so I figured I would add to the collection. I'm also a fan of the color. It is nice to have something a little different.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hard Rock Comp.