Panaracer Fire Mud Pro Tire

4.57/5 (14 Reviews)

XC racing tires for muddy condition.Strategically spaced knobs dig in where you need them to for great traction to get you out of "sticky" situations

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Hampshire, UK

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2008

Strengths:    Narrow tyre cuts through mud, and finds grip where other tyres just spin. Narrow tyre and excellent mud shedding prevent gloop buildup on the frame.

Weaknesses:    Worse than an all-round tyre on anything except mud.

Bottom Line:
In mud this tyre is the business. As long as you have the strength and power to keep the rear wheel spinning, this tyre will find grip and push you through. The narrow profile means that it is easier to keep the wheel spinning when mud is sucking you down, and it bites deep into mud finding grip where other tyres will just spin. I find it works best around 50psi.

The other big advantage is that the tyre drastically cuts the amount of muck that collects on the frame. This is a huge bonus if you run V's which can very quickly collect so much mud it will drag the bike to a standstill.

The downside is that this tyre is rubbish almost everywhere else. The narrow prolife with tall knobs and high tyre pressures, make it err interesting over rock, lethal over wet & muddy chalk (we get lot's of this in Hampshire), hard work on gravel/hardpack, and torture trying to keep up with your mates on tarmac. Sometimes it is better to run a fat all-purpose tyre at a low pressure, and carry your bike through the worst muddy sections, than try to ride technical sections on the pro mud tyres.

For the purpose they are made - mud, they are outstanding, and I want to give them a 5 on this alone, but their poor performance everywhere else lose them a chilli

Purchased At:   wiggle

Bike Setup:   XC Hardtail

Submitted by Euan Carr a Cross Country Rider from Chelmsford

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2007

Strengths:    Fantastic grip & clearance in the mud, less compromised on hard surfaces that I expected.

Weaknesses:    Yet to be tested in the woods on wet roots.....

Bottom Line:
Just tested this out properly as a rear tyre (with a Fire XC up front) on a 6 hour ride, predominantly through wet muddy fields, riverbanks & lots of gloop.

This tyre allowed me to keep riding (generally in straight line!) when everyone else was walking, and sheds wet clay mud well. It also coped with the 5 mile approach ride on a wet sea wall much better than I expected. For general Autumn-spring use I'd highly recommend this as a grippier option to a Fire XC on the back.

$50 may be steep, but I suppose that's what decent tyres cost...

Purchased At:   Evans

Similar Products Used:   Fire XC (2.1s), Cinder 2.25s, IRC Mythos

Bike Setup:   Kinesis Maxlight with Ti, carbon & xtr stuff

Submitted by John Badger a Cross Country Rider from Portola Valley, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2006

Strengths:    Does just what its intended to do - finds traction in muck and sheds it so you can keep riding in the winter months

Weaknesses:    Lots of weaknesses, but if the conditions are right its the best compromise I've found so far

Bottom Line:
I have the original Santa Cruz Blur and the main flaw with this frame is that the rear triangle does not have much tire clearance. In the winter months, with California adobe mud that has the consistency of cookie-dough, my bike would frequently come to a halt with mud buildup. The mud pro are perfect because they are narrow (1.85") and they shed mud. Also, the big knobs find grip where other tires don't . I use this only as a rear tire. I like a high volume tire in the front - I have the Kenda Nevegal 2.3 up front. In summary, my rear tire digs in because its narrow and has 'teeth' and my front tire stays on top of the muck and provides good winter handling.

Favorite Trail:   Manzanita Trail @ ECdM

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire XC Pro UST 2.1, Kenda Nevegal 2.1 & 2.3, WTB Weirwolf 2.1, WTB Velociraptor

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur Classic with pushed Fox AVA shock, Fox F100 RLC fork, SRAM X9 / Truvativ build, Mavic Crossmax wheelset

Submitted by Jerry Dion a Cross Country Rider from Rochester, NH

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2006

Strengths:    Excellent tire for both mud and snow conditions. Cuts down to where it needs to go for traction in the sloppy stuff. Has good knobs and knob spacing to really shed mud. Just had it in the snow today and it ruled.

Weaknesses:    Narrow tire = less rim protection. You need have a bit more finese then usual when running these in the rear.

Bottom Line:
Get this killer mud tire if you have more then 2 months of wet sloppy trail conditions. Switch it out in the dryer summer months when its needed less. Put in on in the spring, fall and winter when its really wet and sh*tty out. You'll notice the difference in control and traction from day one.

Favorite Trail:   Gonic Trails

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   Fire XC Pro

Bike Setup:   04 Weyless SP. WTB Motoraptor 2.14 in front. Mud Pro 1.8 in rear.

Submitted by Blue a Cross Country Rider from Santa Cruz

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2005

Strengths:    The tire is light and sheds mud well. It does what it's intended to do.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
These tires are great when you're in sloppy mud. They cut right through to firmer ground to give you traction. I found you need to run them with pretty high pressure, but they still grip great.

I have been running the Fire Muds on the rear with an IRC Mud Mad DH (2.5)on the front. It's a great combination for riding on muddy, wet trails. Those tires even grip the slick logs and log piles.

Favorite Trail:   porc rim

Similar Products Used:   IRC Mud Mad DH

Bike Setup:   5 Spot

Submitted by Scott Jones a Cross Country Rider from Baltimore

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2005

Strengths:    Great grip. Cuts down to the hard stuff. Used this tire in soft melting snow and hard crusty snow.

Weaknesses:    Much thinner than I expected. 1.8 is pretty damn narrow. Not sure how many flats I'm going to get with it. I don't think i get the stability on the rocky portions that I used to have on my old Jones tire.

Bottom Line:
Tire has really worked well for me in the snow so far. It cuts right down to the hard stuff and it holds and digs well on the solid crunchy snow.
I'm not sure how well it's going to perform in some of the more technical areas, but it is a mud tire so what can i expect?!
I rated it low as I haven't seen it's full potential yet. I expect it to really dig well for me this spring, but i have a feeling i'll need to swap it out for my summer riding.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Jekyll

Submitted by Ian a Cross Country Rider from High Wycombe, UK

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2003

Strengths:    Great in mud and most soft trail conditions - felt like I was on a road they tracked so true. They grip fine on anything including roads (not tried wet roads though). Roll well on their intended terrain.

Weaknesses:    Slow and draggy on road or rock hard stuff. Where I live you always end up doing some road work between trails and I had to work my butt off.

Bottom Line:
If you need a mud tyre or just a tyre for anything but hard pack these work well.

Similar Products Used:   Not tried any other mud specific tyres.

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS2

Submitted by Ben Carroll a Weekend Warrior from Brecon, Powys, Wales

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2003

Strengths:    These tyres are incredible in the thick gloopy stuff. I ride in the Brecon Beacons every weekend during the winter and have never come across anything like them. I was worried about them being so narrow but found that to be in their favour as they cut through the mud until they find something grippy. They also shed mug well and haven't worn too badly throughout the winter. I am very impressed and would recommend them to anyone.

Weaknesses:    Slow and sketchy on tarmack and not too hot on large slippery rocks or roots.

Bottom Line:
VERY good in serious mud. I will be putting them back next winter without question. When they wear out I will buy some more. What else can I say?

Favorite Trail:   Afon Argoid or Cwm Carn

Purchased At:   www.wiggle.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   This is my first mud specific tyre but other tyes I have used include: Tioga Psycho; WTB Raptor; Panracer Smoke, Smoke Lite and Dart; Specialized Team Master/Control SL Pro.

Bike Setup:   Specialized

Submitted by Bruce a Cross Country Rider from Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2003

Strengths:    This tire is great in mud. It grabs well and stays clean of mud, even clay type mud.

Weaknesses:    THe tire doesn't grab well on asphalt, but I rarely ride on roads.

Bottom Line:
This tire is great in the mud. I went on a long ride on Saturday. The ride was muddy and I had my Hutchinson Python Air Lites. THey sucked in the mud. I had to stop every few minutes to clear the muck from the rear swingarm.

Yesterday, I went on the same route, but had the Fire Mud Pros on (it even rained some more). The tires rocked! They didn't get clogged with mud....even clay-type soupy, sticky mud. The tires worked so well that I started aiming for the deeper mud sections. I didn't have to walk at all.

On the negative side, they could grab wet roots better, but they're not too bad.
These are the best tires that I have ridden in the mud. They are much better than I had hoped for.

Favorite Trail:   No Name

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   THis is my first mud-specific tire. Other tires I own - Panaracer Fire XC, Hutchinson Python Air Lite, Bontrager Revolt Super-X, Bontrager SS

Bike Setup:   Fuel 98

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from London

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2002

Strengths:    Awsome ability in mud and clay even snow. Best on the rear.

Weaknesses:    Slow on roads or hardpack. There are better tyres for the front in mud.

Bottom Line:
In 1.8 section this is the best mud specific tyre on the market for the rear wheel. It has an amazing ability to grip and clear in any conditions up or down hill and on any surface. It is particulalry good for those horrible wet clay soils that seem to stick to all other tyres.

I found that they clear/grip best when run at about 45-50 psi - which is about their max. The higher pressure reduces the chance of a pinch flat on those hidden stones!

It is OK on the front but in testing I have found that I prefer to run a Panaracer Fire XC Pro 1.8 at the front which has better lateral stabilty when cornering in mud/clay. If you ride in snow then put one on the front as well.

This winter I have not had a single washout on an off camber mud/rut - which is just staggering if you ride in the Chilterns in winter!

They may seem expensive but to buy anything else in the UK is just wasting your cash.

Favorite Trail:   Chiltern Hills or Coed y Brenin (if I've got the time)

Purchased At:   Evans Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Just about every other mud specific tyre. I have loads of nearly new tyres of various makes if anyone wants to buy them!!!!

Bike Setup:   Specialised S-Works. Full XTR. Hope ti hubs. Easton carbon bars, Thompson seat post, Kore Stem

Submitted by steve giles a Weekend Warrior from reading, uk

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2001

Strengths:    Rear wheel traction is unbelievable. Pick a low gear and pedal smoothly and you just keep moving even in 6-8 inches of gloop.

Rear wheel also stays amazingly clog free which is a plus.

Weaknesses:    Cost - £50 a pair in the UK - is a little steep.

Front wheel does not seem to be so clog free as rear; in fact not certain whether this type of tyre is necessary on the front. May try a more normal XC tread on front with the Panaracer Mud on the rear.

Bottom Line:
I don't cycle on roads if I can avoid it - this weekend I went on a 15 mile XC trip of which about two miles were on roads. The rest was on bridleways and forest tracks which were a mix of hardpack and mud. I never lost rear wheel traction once, which I would have done with my previous tyres (IRC Notos 2.1).

I suspect the front tyre is overkill, but if you have a problem with mud at least try one of these on the rear - you won't be disappointed.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere woody and muddy...

Purchased At:   mountain trax, wokingham

Similar Products Used:   No other specialist mud tyres.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Jekyll, pretty standard, discs front & rear (also bought with mud in mind - we get a lot of mud around here!), riser bars, raceface seatpost to replace awful coda creakpost.

Submitted by Jr. a Weekend Warrior from CT

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2001

Strengths:    Pyramid shaped knobs stay clear. The tire gets down through the top layer of thick mud to the solid stuff below so you can brake, climb, and steer.

Weaknesses:    Tires really drag on hardpack. Sketchy on wet logs, roots, and rocks.

Bottom Line:
Great tire for early spring in the Northeast when the ground is soft. Even works well crossing what little snow is left.

On the rear, the tire penetrates to find a firm surface while climbing, but it slides a lot on wet rocks and roots.

On the front, the tire won't float over the mud like a wider tire would. Your speed will go down as you 'dig in', but braking and steering are better than if the tire stayed on the top surface. Personally, in muddy conditions I value control over speed. Cornering on a soft trail is no longer a concern.

Subtract a chili if it isn't muddy.

Favorite Trail:   Westwoods

Similar Products Used:   No other 'Mud Specific' tires.

Bike Setup:   Klein Pulse, Z4 Flylight

Submitted by Gavin Thomson a Cross Country Rider from Shoreham,Sussex,UK

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2000

Strengths:    In muddy conditions this tyre is unbeatable. On a recent club ride near Lewis I was the only rider in our club who had NO problems with clogging. Light, very grippy in the the wet, and pretty good in the dry for that matter.

Weaknesses:    It has a very thin profile which at first isn't very confidence inspiring. but once you've experienced the grip you soon get over it.

Bottom Line:
Pissed of sliding back down hills or slither of cambers? Buy some now!

Only 4 chillis for value as they are not cheap (50 quid a pair in the uk). But who wants cheap tyres anyway?

Favorite Trail:   Leith Hill Surrey

Similar Products Used:   I use panaracer fire xc pro's once the trails dry out. They roll faster.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale super v 800

Submitted by Colin a Weekend Warrior from Scotland

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2000

Strengths:    bite well on soft forest floor singletrack.

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
Superb. Confidence boosting tyre that has impressed me so much and made me ride much faster on the trail. I have tried Specialised Evil Twin Mud on my mates GT and they have the edge but for weight these are a winner. They are mud specific and just do not clog at all. Best run about 35 psi front and 45psi rear (heavy rider). 4 chillis only because the will need changed when it gets dry.

Favorite Trail:   Beecraigs