Panaracer Fire FR Pro Tire

4.12/5 (42 Reviews)

Panaracer introducesThe newest member ofThe Fire family,The FR 2.4. Based onThe same concept asThe XC Pro,The FR 2.4 is madeTo work front and rear, and in all conditions.The Fire FR 2.4 performs as a XC FreerideTire or a light use DHTire. Designed specificallyTo work withTodays full suspension bikes. TheTire rubber is engineered withThe ideal combination of hardness andTackiness, providing low rolling resistance and outstanding grip, without sacrificingTread life.The 6mm knobs dig in and grip ev

Submitted by Nick a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2012

Strengths:    Hard wearing, Durable, good traction

Weaknesses:    Can clog up in really sticky english mud :D, Heavy.

Bottom Line:
Ive ridden these on my DH bike for over a year now, (I weigh around 70kg's) they have some crazy rail turning thing going for them, be it on mud, tarmack, cobbles, pretty much anything you throw them at. Ive hit 15-20ft dropoffs on these babies (Off Road and Urban) and they have held ther own, they can take a fair battering, ive used them for quite a bit of urban downhill, they also work well on steps ;). The only drawback i can think of is they get clogged up very quickly when you hit thick sticky mud, and loose traction almost instantly (ended up hugging a tree a few times). Overall a crazy good tyre, pitty they clog up.

Favorite Trail:   Castle Downhill / Dalby Black Route

Duration Product Used:   12+ months

Purchased At:   Ritchardsons of Scar

Bike Setup:   Santacruz 06 Bullit, 07 888 Bombers, dabomb rims.

Submitted by knowpedder a Downhiller from Socal

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2009

Strengths:    good traction in all terrains

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
when i got the tire it was closer to a 2.6, rubbed on my frame, but i cut off the corners of the outside lugs and it fits at about 2.5 wide, and it rolls better through the turns now...

Favorite Trail:   Prospect

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   kenda, maxxis...

Bike Setup:   06 Ruckus Trail 1.0 saint cranks, E-13 guard, Hayes HFX Mag's with twin 8" rotors

Submitted by bikegeekjames a Weekend Warrior from SLC, UT United States

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2008

Strengths:    I love the side knobs. I was a major Maxxis lover forever, and decided to branch out for once. I love how its a 2.4" Just bigger than a 2.35", but not as porky as a 2.5" A really good niche. These rode really well and had aggressive tread which i really like. They really excelled in technical, rocky downhill sections. They are a great price for the weight as well.

Weaknesses:    They worked fine in everything here in Utah, except sandy mud. They clogged up a bit, but to be honest it wasn't a real problem. No TRUE weakness' here.

Bottom Line:
Panaracer makes some great tires for the money, and i've been converted

Favorite Trail:   Porkupine Rim

Purchased At:   Highlander Bike

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis HighRoller, Minion DH

Bike Setup:   Chumba Evo, 6" front and rear. Marzocchi, Fox, X-9, Juicy 7s, WTB LaserDisc FR rims, Thomson goodies.

Submitted by gpschutt a Downhiller from Hood River, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2008

Strengths:    Awesome wet conditions/ mud tire. Sheds the gunk well. Long-wearing. Billed as a 2.4", rides more like a 2.5" Climbs well.

Weaknesses:    Very slow in soft/ dusty conditions. Hard compound doesn't hook up well on hard surfaces with loose material on top (ie hardpacked gravel road.) Heavy.

Bottom Line:
After riding these all winter last year, I thought they were a great all-around tire. Once things dried out, I realized they can be slow. Still, their ability to dig into soft, wet soil is incredible, owing to the relatively hard rubber compound. Being able to rail corners in partially frozen, saturated or otherwise gummy soil is impressive. If you ride where it's dry or more solid rock, go with the nevegals or the minions if you have the scratch.

Favorite Trail:   Post Canyon

Purchased At:   traded

Similar Products Used:   Kenda nevegal, maxxis minion

Bike Setup:   Nomad, Super-D set up w/ Mavix EX rims (wide)

Submitted by Don Duende a Weekend Warrior from Eastern Sierra

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2007

Strengths:    Great tire for rocks and loose conditions. True 2.4 width. Durable, is showing minor wear after one season of heavy use. Handles everything it encounters, not as heavy as a lot of 2.5 tires I see at the MTB park. Use it only on the front, I don't have enough clearance on the rear.
Runs tubeless like a champ. Need to refresh the sealant every 2-3 months in our dry climate.

Weaknesses:    Throws up a lot of gravel because of the big knobs, this decreases over time as the tire wears. Make sure you wear eye protection. Don't know if it works in mud, it is really dry around here. Heavy, but the ride on the gondola makes that less of a problem. When I ride XC it feels like a motocross tire and it is slower than a XC tire (duh). When the bike park closed for the season, it came off and was replaced with a Conti Vert Pro for winter XC riding.

Bottom Line:
This is the widest and heaviest tire I've ever rode. But it has proven itself over and over again on the trails of Mammoth Mtn. It is a great FR/AM for loose and rocky trails. Great control in the corners. Confident handling. Not a XC race tire. Durable, competent.

I was so impressed, that I bought a pair of the 2.3s (100gm lighter than a 2.4)for $16 each, online at Performance, for a bike I am building up for my wife. This is my new favorite MTB park front tire.

When this tire wears out I will replace it, if they are still available.

Favorite Trail:   Mammoth Mountain Bike Park

Purchased At:   Came with the bike

Similar Products Used:   WTB Weirwolf, Conti Vert Pro, Kenda Nevegal

Bike Setup:   Intense 5.5, Maverick DUC32 fork, Stans Tubeless setup, Mavic 717 rims

Submitted by Andre a Cross Country Rider from Park City, Utah

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2007

Strengths:    Going straight this tire eats everything up, great traction, super stable feeling

Weaknesses:    Sliding out on corners.

Bottom Line:
I really really gave these tires a chance, more than I probably should have. Truth is, in my opnion, they are a very specialized tire and too much meat for any XC rider, and good for only certain AM type riders in certain places with certain terriain. Out here in the Utah mountains and desert, i am taking them off...

I used them for about 2-3 months as a front tire only on my XC bike that I ride quite a bit of AM with, and little did I know what I was missing by using it. It might / would probably be a killer rear tire for traction and with added rear weight would probably hold a lot better. But they are too big to fit into my rear chainstays so I could not run as a rear even though I have two of them.

My first night out on them I was really psyched because they are a very confidence inspiring tire that just eats it up (rightly so because they are so big and the lugs are huge). They also look killer, almost like something off a dirt bike, probably the "best looking" tire I've had on a bike. I nailed a super hard trail/downhill section on first try that I hadn't been able to get since it washed out badly. But that was on only one trail, one that sees quite a bit of moisture (ie not dry or sandy) and this trail has killer moist dirt hardpack traction.

And that is my conclusion, on certain trails (no loose or dried sand and/or rock) it is great... But then I started using it as I ride this bike, on a huge variety of terrain mostly because the terrian around here varies so much (full mountains to desert in 10 miles or less). And again they feel badass because ofthe big lugs. But I noticed my lines got sloppier and I started relying on the tire more than skill. And because its so far and badass it can roll over everything... But on certain trails, it would slide out SOOO easily.. Agian anything with loose dirt or rocks, dry and sandy for the most part..

So I finally decided to remount my WTB moto raptor 2.4s and --little did I know what I was missing-- by having them on. They Raptors mostly just corner so much better, you can lean over in all terrain and not feel like you are going to lose it and/or predictable slide out versus just flatout eating it! My conclusion is the lugs on the side are just too damn big and tall. I considered even maybe shaving down the side lugs to something rounder and more like the WTBs to see if this helps. Or taking a razor to the big fat side lugs to see if that will give some flexibility and more cornering/less slip out ability. I actually think both of these would help.

I actually did not mind the big weight of these for climbing and XC even though even for me they are too much. But that is a matter of preference...

Similar Products Used:   WTB MotoRaptor 2.4, Conti Slash 2.3, other misc mostly WTB tires

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper hardtail.

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2007

Strengths:    Hooks up . High volume.

Weaknesses:    Thin sidewall offset by weight for size.

Bottom Line:
Most trails I am on are dry dusty and loaded with rocks. I needed a big front tire that had bite and would hold a corner without loosing all its shoulder tread prematurely. This worked perfect for that. I recently was up north and decided to put one on the rear as well. It was a good choice for the day. It rained all day. At times there was 6in of water running down the trail "Sunset Flagstaff" Roots, Rock, Reggae and Rain and they never slipped once.

Not fastest rolling lightest thing but if you need a good all purpose All Mountain tire check it out.

Favorite Trail:   Sub Rock Sedona

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Kinetics, Nevegal

Bike Setup:   XLT, Minute 3, Terros

Submitted by Landon a Downhiller from Cody, WY, USA

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2007

Strengths:    Tire tracks great. This is the best handling tire i have ever used.

Weaknesses:    Tight fit on rim, hard to change flats.

Bottom Line:
I will keep buying this tire. It handles great. I used this tire at Winter Park during Crankworks this July, and it handled the trail great. This tire is great for freeride and DH.

Purchased At:   Absaroka Bikes in Cody

Bike Setup:   Trek Session 77

Submitted by RideEverything from Whistler, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2007

Strengths:    Rides exceptionaly well in ALL conditions. The tires corner like they are on rails!

Weaknesses:    I am not a gram counter but the tires are a little on the heavy side and they don't roll very fast.

Bottom Line:
These tires kill it in all conditions. As a pedalling freerider, these tires did well in everything I put them through. The tires live up to Panaracer's write up. And they can definitely do duty as a light downhill tire. These tires even rail when it is slippery wet! They even have a great footprint for loose rocky decsents, they have no problem holding a line!
They are a little on the expensive side.

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire XC Pro and Rampage, WTB TimberWolf and Dissent, Nokian NBX 2.1

Bike Setup:   Turner 6Pack - DHX 5, Marzocchi Z150 ETA, Mavic 321 rims, top end Race Face and Sram drivetrain and components.

Submitted by J a Cross Country Rider from Seacoast NH

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2007

Strengths:    Indestructible; Great traction; Slow-wearing; Great rear tire

Weaknesses:    Heavy; Fit EXTREMELY tightly on Mavic 719s; Poor front tire

Bottom Line:
I run this as a rear tire on my Rhynolite for aggressive XC riding in New England. Rock, roots, mud, more rocks... This tire has been fantastic on the SS. I originally started out with the tire front and rear, but it doesn't track very well in corners on the front. I found it washed out way too frequently for my tastes. On the rear, however, this tire is a beast! The straight line traction I get blows my mind. Spinning out when climbing is pretty easy to do on a SS, but this tire grips like crazy. And as crazy as it sounds, I think the weight helps when SSing - it's harder to spin out, and wants to keep rolling when you need it to. I've put a year and a half of riding on the tire, and it's just getting about time to replace it. Oh - in that whole time I've never gotten a flat running 25 - 35 psi.

Summary: Awesome rear, not so hot on the front. Buy this tire if you need powerful traction in the rear.

Favorite Trail:   The Ripper

Bike Setup:   On-One Inbred Rigid SS

Submitted by Blaine a Weekend Warrior from Tempe, Az

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2006

Strengths:    Great traction, float, compound, and construction. Also, great weight for the size, and wears pretty well on pavement for such a luggy tire (not reccomended for street riding, so if you do alot of riding on pavement, find something else).

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
These are not for typical XC riding, so do not buy them if that is your style. I took my XC pro down Telegraph pass here in Az and shredded it; lugs torn off, no control, and no fun (nothing against the tire, just too much for it). This tire ate up that trail. I have not torn a lug yet, and have not had problems with washing out that others have (nothing I can blame on the tire, I was riding home from a bar...). I did notice quite an increase in resistance when I mounted this tire, but the stability while descending more than made up for it...and 2 rides later I was used to it anyway. I tend to ride in the rocks, hit some DH west of here, and do some XC riding up in Sedona. This tire has handled all of that with no problems, and I feel much more comfortable running the extra width through rock gardens. For my size (200 lb) and style of riding (all around, but hard on components) it fits the bill.

Favorite Trail:   National Trail

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Fire XC pro (front), Fire DH Pro (rear).

Bike Setup:   2005 Liquid 25 running FR pro in the front and DH pro in the rear.

Submitted by BCPOWDR from Sandy, Utah

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2006

Strengths:    Traction, Ride going down

Weaknesses:    Weak Sidewalls, Heavy for XC

Bottom Line:
I like this tire for its traction,ride and looks. I had no problems in dry to damp areas, from gravel to hardpack, roots, etc. Never used it in alot of mud. Great tire for single track downhill sections. I weigh 185lb and inflated tire to about 40psi. What I didnt like was the wieght as far as cross country riding is concerned, which is mainly what I ride. Just put on some Kenda Nevegels and at my LBS scale showed a difference of 1.2LBS for the set. Thats alot of spinning weight if your a cross Country Rider. Also I noticed when changing the tires over the side wall was about to go. It had a slice on the outside and was starting to peal away from the casing. The threads on the inside were also giving way. Not sure how it happened, but if do to construction 6 months is pretty poor life expectency. Never had any other tire only last 6 months. The knobbies were in still in great shape. Regardless of the casing problem, I probably would not buy again due to the wieght for my type of riding.

Purchased At:   Internet

Similar Products Used:   Conti Vertical Pros 2.35, Kenda Nevegel 2.35

Bike Setup:   Ventana X-5, Marzochi, Fox RP3, XT and XTR, Spinergy Wheelset

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Kahului, HI

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2006

Strengths:    Great Tread and Volume

Weaknesses:    Generally Heavy but that is to be expected from such a large tire. It is also quite loud. Can't imagine running this on pavement for any length of time.

Bottom Line:
I just wanted to post and say that it fits front and rear on my Rocky with the Reba. Had to move the disk brake zip tie on the front but plenty of room on the back. Not sure how it will handle mud. I got this cause I am big rider, 240lbs and ride volcanic gravel and loose soil or sand. Was running smaller tires and having to use really low presure. Going to try this out at 35 will update after a couple weeks of riding.

Purchased At:   Jenson

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Instinct, Reba RL race fork

Submitted by Jeff E. from Laguna Niguel

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2006

Strengths:    Lite for the size, very long life

Bottom Line:
These tires are lite, roll pretty fast, great traction, the traction seems to get better after a few weeks of riding, no real probs w/ washing out, you just cant run really high air pressure , great tire...

Favorite Trail:   I like lots