Home | Reviews | Tire | Onza

Onza Ibex Tire

An IBEX is a fast, smooth and safe animal in the mountains. So is this tire. Thanks to the wide open profile, it makes no compromises on rough gravel and in wet conditions. No trail is too steep, no section to narrow and no roots too slippery for this all round tire.

Submitted by muggel a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2014

Strengths:    I was testing the 27,5x2,4 IBEX 120TPS Tubeless ready:
Grip, Traction, Cornering, damp to dry conditions, loose rocks, rock gardens, reliability, damping, tightness if run tubeless - in two weeks time they only lost 0.1bars

Weaknesses:    when it's minus degrees celsius the compound tends to stiffen - no other weakness so far

Bottom Line:
I have been running Contis Mountain King 2 Protection in 2,2, the Trail king in protection in 2,4 and the Ibex 27,5x2,4 120 tip on my endure bike. The traction and control in dry is outstanding and of an at least equal level of the Trail King, however when it comes to comfort and damping and running low pressure (setting it up with sealant) the Onza tire is at a whole different level

It kept the air perfectly and I was able to lower the pressure to 1,6 bars (i weigh 95kgs) without any trouble. At such pressure the tires really get aggressive and have maximum traction and grip at a very high level of comfort and damping.
Riding 4 days in Finale Ligure I usually would destroy a pair of tires - the rear tire from Onza sure lost some of its profile but looks as new. The sidewalls don't seem to be impressed by sharp rocks.
Considering the overall characteristics of the tire and compared to other manufacturers the weight of roughly 880g is really ok.
On tarmac there are faster rolling tires out there, however I never felt slow - I think Onza emphasized well on the features and benefits a trail/ Enduro tire must have - the tire is not meant to be the fastest rolling touring tire (even though its good at it too) but to really put a grin onto your face on your local flow trail, rock garden, enduro trail. For more than one year I did not have a flat tire.... So reliability is just great.

Duration Product Used:   6 Months