Home | Reviews | Tire | Onza

4.5/5 (8 Reviews)

Onza Dan/Dave Tires

Submitted by David Dobbie a Cross Country Rider from Sheffield England

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2001

Strengths:    Great in the mud both caly and peat, great bogtrotters. Great in snow, good on frost and not to bad on ice.
Always corner brilliantly.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, very heavy. Not easy to climb with, have to move you body around to get traction on steep lose climbs. Just does't work ont the front. A bit too much rolling resistance for road use

Bottom Line:
Great winter tyre. Due to foot and mouth I've been riding round the city dump, where there is a lot of dangerous objects (glass, metal, broken up bits of reinforced concrete, barbed wire) all over the place, doesn't bother these tyres one bit. Yes these really take some stick, a few times I've hit stuff hard that would of caused blow outs with any other tyres I've used, these just carry on. Only had two punctures in all the time I've used them both due to very big thorns. They descend anything brilliantly, corner on road as fast as they go. These are really for rough winter conditions anything else there are a bit heavy but I just leave on my bike anyway as I know I can relie on them.

Favorite Trail:   Wharncliffe

Purchased At:   Super Cycles Nottingham

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Smoke the good old style ones

Bike Setup:   Raleigh m-trax ti/cromo Marzocchi DH3s

Submitted by William a Cross Country Rider from Prior Lake, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2001

Strengths:    cleans well, great on mud, snow, and steep hills, I got for a good price.

Weaknesses:    terrible on dry loose stuff, especially on bit of loose stuff on top of hard pack. You have to deflate the tire to get the wheel on or off.

Bottom Line:
I bought just the rear one because of the reviews, I was looking for a mud tire last spring. Well last year was incredibly dry for this area, and I tried them for a few rides, They were so bad I took them off and didn't even think of putting them back on tell snow fell. I glad I finally did, They worked great on the snow and we got alot of snow. (on glare ice you need a tire with metal studs. This spring has been very wet and they are as advertise great mud tire, and they do hills well. (I have Pannaracer Dart II's on the front). Well like others said these are BIG tires, its hard to put them on and not have them rub on the frame while riding. If you want one tire for all conditions this is not for you, but these are great specialty tires.

Similar Products Used:   Continental Nav. pros, IRC Mythros, others

Bike Setup:   Cannondale f700 Hardtail

Submitted by Andy Hardcastle a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2000

Strengths:    Huge, grippy, good cleaning ability

Weaknesses:    Huge, quite heavy

Bottom Line:
These are massive - no way the 2.1 on the side wall. More like 2.3. Grip really well. Clear really well. Really comfortable and I can rail corners with no problem. Wet roots and rocks, sand, clay, it does it all.

Similar Products Used:   Just about everything

Bike Setup:   Columbus steel hardtail w. Deore DX group.

Submitted by Andy a Weekend Warrior from Maine

Date Reviewed: July 28, 1999

Strengths:
Cornering
uphill
no flats

Weaknesses:
ummmmm

Bottom Line:
This tire is great. I do lots of XC, but not flat, and this tire has not caused me any trouble. It picks it's way up rocky and rooty terrain with total confidence. All my friends want my other one.

sgfdb

3 months

Moab XXC

Schwinn Moab three

Submitted by Anders a cross-country rider from Sweden

Date Reviewed: September 18, 1998

Bottom Line:

I own a rear tire and this is excellent for XC in hard conditions. The nobs are very aggressive especially for cornering. The bike follows with you downhill and don't slip uphills. The tire is maybe little heavy, but I have never got a flat tire neither. It sounds little scary but nothing has happened yet with my chain, sometimes it is touching the side nobs of the tires.
I think this even can be a good choise for free riders and parallellduo but nothing for XC where the track include a lot of road.

Submitted by Jacob madsen a weekend warrior from Salt Lake City, Utah

Date Reviewed: May 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

These tires rule!!!! They have aggressive knobs that provide traction in ALL conditions and they don't squirm. If you ride loose, rocky, and totally extreme conditions then these tires are for you. They are not the fastest rolling tires nor the lightese but they are certainly not pigs!!! the front has a weight of 615g and the rear 625g. Check out the review in the May 1998 issue of Mountain Bike and read what the experts have to say. I ride in all conditions and these tires have never failed me. As for the previous review about not having enough grip..... Learn how to ride and stop blaming the tires!!!!!

Submitted by crusty dusty a weekend warrior from bc

Date Reviewed: November 27, 1997

Bottom Line:

The dan/dave front sucks. It sucked so bad I don't even remember which one it was, the dan or dave. It dosen't corner worth shit, and it sucks on off-camber sections. I traded mine for a missile. No comparisson. The missile is miles ahead of this shitty rubber. I'll give onza two flamers for trying.

Submitted by Noel Buckley a weekend warrior from Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: July 31, 1997

Bottom Line:

These are great all around tires for technical riding or downhilling. They are not fast on roads or flat trails, so I wouldn't use them for XC. Plus, they are pigs weight wise. For steep technical riding, though they are great. The only tire set that I have used that is anywhere close to as good as these are Mitsuboshi SuperHeats. I have not spent enough time on the IRC Missle yet to compare the Dave/Dan to it, but they are kind of the same genre. The Onzas clean really well, provide lots of traction, corner great and work really well in dirt and mud, and on rocks and logs. If you live in the Pacific North West, check these out.