Home | Reviews | Tire | On-One

On-One Chunky Monkey Tire

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

Sidewalls are reinforced with our own named Eckso sidewall protection, to guard against rips and gashes. The tire bead is Kevlar, folding, and lighter and better fitting than steel beads. Designed to be fitted to a wider rim - we'd recommend a minimum internal width of 19mm to provide support and stability.

Submitted by dremags a Racer

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2014

Strengths:    Grip for days!

Weaknesses:    Heavy as a ton of bricks but, who cares

Bottom Line:
I haven't had this tire for that long but, I am very impressed. My friend bought some in the 26" size and told me I had to get some. When I bought them I was wanting something that would give me better grip in the snow and soft dirt and I went from sliding the front out on every corner to doing indos. Yesterday I took out my FS bike and decided to throw it on the front to ride some really chunky trail. This tire does not give up! It doesn't care what the surface is, it just grabs! The other awesome thing about this tire is the cost...$30ish really? I've had pizzas that cost more than that and have left me less satisfied. I did give this review 5 peppers even though this tire added at least 1lb. to the front of my bike. This is not a tire for the weight conscious and I probably won't use it for XC racing but, I will continue to ride it when my only intention is to finish grinning ear to ear.

P.S.-When you buy them make sure you also buy some of their merino wool socks. They are a great price!

Favorite Trail:   So much awesomeness around here it's hard to list

Purchased At:   On One UK

Similar Products Used:   Ground Control 2.3 and a bunch of XC tires

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic 29er

Submitted by bluestatevirgin a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2014

Strengths:    Grip, volume, tubeless capabilities. Price. Best tire I've used for all around wet weather slippery loose conditions.

Weaknesses:    Maybe slow rolling, but I wouldn't expect any different for a tire of it's size and tread. Rolls better than other tires I've used.

Bottom Line:
Been using the Chunky for almost a year on my 29 inch original Flow rims, tubeless with Stan's liquid. Never have any problems with tubeless use at low pressures, and I weigh 250. Tire never loses air, at least before the Stan's starts drying out. Tire is very cushy, and has about the best grip you can expect from non mud specific tires in wet slippery conditions. I run the tire year round because I'll sacrifice a little rolling resistance for all the other great attributes. It's my favorite 29er tire. Anyone who wants a wide, grippy, voluminous tire won't find a better deal.

Submitted by Rajesh a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2013

Strengths:    Amazing sticky rubber compound
smooth riding

Weaknesses:    possibly a bit sluggish compared to what I have been using

Bottom Line:
These tires are great. There was an immediate bump in my speed and confidence using them. I was smiling the whole way down the mountain. I have dumped my old tires that still had the new tire nobbies on ebay after one ride. These tires are worth it. No other 29er tire is selling for this price, worth a shot.

Favorite Trail:   Sandy Ridge

Duration Product Used:   4 rides

Purchased At:   Planet X

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Captains, Nevegals, Tioga PsychoGenius, Bontragers

Bike Setup:   Titus Rockstar 1X9

Submitted by Mr. Doom a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2013

Strengths:    Great compound that still rolls well, (Trail Exteme version). Nice build/construction, good quality control. Best cornering 29er tire I have used to date. Half the price of anything comparable.

Weaknesses:    Not a weight weenie tire if that is what your after.

Bottom Line:
I was using a 2.4 Ardent on my Yelli Screamy and wanted a stickier high volume tire for plowing through loose rocks on my favorite trails around Missoula MT. The Chunky Monkey delivered the goods, I have used the Panaracer Rampage, Nevagals,Racing Ralphs various WTB, Bontrager and Geax tires on my 29ers and this tread has proven to be the best of the bunch.

I was looking at the HansDampf as I liked the Big Betty on my 26er but this tire has stickier compound IMO. Going to try the On-One Smorgasbord on the rear once the snow melts.

Duration Product Used:   eight months

Purchased At:   Planet-X

Submitted by Travis Bickle a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2013

Strengths:    Traction, cornering, cheap, seem durable, set up tubeless easily. Did I mention they are a great value? Great Enduro Tire;)

Weaknesses:    Not great in sticky mud.

Bottom Line:
I ride on Vancouver Island and needed a replacement for my Hans Dampfs. A bit of research turned up what sounded to be a good choice at a great price so I ordered up the Trail Extreme version for the wet season here. I have had them mounted on the original Flows and the Flow EX with no burping or difficulties. The trails here have mud that doesn't stick much, wet roots and rocks. The CM have done superbly in these conditions as long as I keep the pressure fairly low. I am 200 lbs and run 26-27 rear and 24-25 front which seems low but the CM does well at these pressures. Climbing over wet roots is very good. Wet roots are my nemesis and I am quite happy. I am not the best at cornering but the CM's have loads of grip when I do get it right At @ 800gm each they roll a little slower on the logging road climbs than the HD's did but are lasting much better. Once on the trails they don't seem slow maybe because of the confidence they give me. I have been here 4 months and have been on the HD, Big Betty, and now the CM. For me the CM is the best of the bunch, wearing better than HD and gripping as well or better than Betty, at less than 1/2 the price.

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry Mesa

Duration Product Used:   1 Month

Purchased At:   On-One UK

Similar Products Used:   I have been mtbing for 26 years and have more tires than I can remember

Bike Setup:   2011 Turner 5 Spot
36 Float
Hope, Flow EX
XT Brakes

Chunky Monkey

Here are some photos of the CMs. Keep in mind these are mounted on 819s. From the other thread: [COLOR="#0000FF"] I'll throw another tire into the mix, the on-one Chunky Monkey. This is a Maxxis built tire. It is build on the Ardent 2.4 EXO casing, with 2 compound options. The Trail Extreme is ... Read More »

Smorgasbord & Chunky Monkey tubeless?

Just posted this in the wheels/tires forum, but thought I would ask the question here, as you On One guys might have more direct knowledge: Just saw a couple On One tires for the first time -- a Smorgasbord and Chunky Monkey a friend has purchased from On One/Titus in Portland. I am impressed with ... Read More »

Run Smorgasbord or Chunky Monkey tubeless?

Just saw a couple On One tires for the first time -- a Smorgasbord and Chunky Monkey a friend has purchased from On One/Titus in Portland. I am impressed with the tread patterns, feel of the sidewalls, and the aggressive look of the beads. I would like to run these tires in 29er but am committed ... Read More »

SPAM: On One Chunky Monkey 29x2.4" tires

See the ad below. I bought more than one of these from On One UK to get the shipping cost reasonable, so unloading the rest. These are the more expensive dual compound version. [url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=83669]On One Chunky Monkey 29 x 2.4 tires - Ardent casing - Buy ... Read More »

Chunky Monkey

Anyone else interested in these? Thinking about ordering a couple from the UK, but shipping is expensive. That is unless I order a bunch and we split shipping. Anyone interested shoot me a PM. Looking to do this ASAP, as in tomorrow :DRead More »