Home | Reviews | Tire | Nokian

Nokian Hakka WXC300 Tire

3.71/5 (17 Reviews)
Weight : 695 grams MSRP : $125.00

The Nokian Hakka WXC 300Tire.This Light skinwalled OLC casingTire features 300 sharp steel studs with carbide pins. Light skinwall OLC casing and 300 sharp steel studs with carbide pins 61 ShA carbon silicaTread compound provides excellent grip on snow and ice Item Specifications Tire Bead Folding ISO Diameter 559 ISO Width 53 mm

Submitted by Greg S

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2013

Strengths:    Good grip

Weaknesses:    Both tires bought wobble

Bottom Line:
I have recently put these tires on. I thought it is worth sacrificing 240 dollars for the se, but it was a waste! Both tires wobble insanely, none of them are straight! I mean, come one, a tire has to be made to go straight. It is like having ice skates where the skates are not straight. Piece of garbage, shame on Nokian to make people pay for products that have no quality control. What are they thinking?????I want my money back. (And Nokian to stop manufacture tires)

Submitted by captainadventure a Cross Country Rider from Uppsala, Sweden

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2012

Strengths:    Traction on ice is stunning, also very good in snow, not too heavy (quite light given what they are), and as I use them durable. Not lost any studs in 2 years winter use, but always on ice/snow.
Let you ride anywhere, all winter in Sweden.

Weaknesses:    Price, and depending on your view noisy.

Bottom Line:
Too many crashes on ice, and now I only crash as often as when no ice (snow is a different question).
Rides long distance over frozen lakes a joy, We race friends as they skate.
Maybe quick wearing if used of frozen and snowy ground, but never been there.

If you live and cycle somewhere like Sweden essential if you don't want severe winter limits, not sure if I'd feel they were good value soley for the UK.

Favorite Trail:   Lunsentorpet

Purchased At:   cyclecomponents.com

Similar Products Used:   My first and only studded tyres

Bike Setup:   Orange P7 with Magura Menja suspension

Submitted by mymudcat a Cross Country Rider from Boston, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2010

Strengths:    It has the possibility of being a good tire, depending upon whom you might listen too.

Weaknesses:    Maybe I'm just to picky about this issue, but from my perspective I thought it was very deceptive in the fact that the tire was manufactured in Taiwan, the packaging says otherwise "Handmade in Finland" and the companies website also makes no mention of same. I can tell you I've had experiences with tires from the Island, they were not good. Of course this is all anecdotal, maybe yours was better? But at $150 I'm not going to take that chance.

Bottom Line:
Well, this one persons view point and the grain of salt.

From the outset I'm very disappointed in this tires without even using them. Sorry, i.e. materials, manufacturing, if they were close to the W106 than sure it wouldn't be a problem.

I assumed that the tires were made in Finland as in the past were indeed produced in Taiwan instead when I placed that order, I never would've put in that order. I had placed that order back in July of 2010 just to avoid the potential problems as there often is. Now, there may be a problem getting tires because it is so last, thanks.

This is due partly to my past experiences with Taiwanese bicycle parts, which have been so off putting, I would never intentionally purchase parts manufactured from Taiwan again. It seems harsh and it's a big country and it sounds like I'm stereotyping, but I'm doing the walking through the woods for three hours because parts failed and no one else, so you get the drift? I've got more of an unhappy list so... Maybe for free I'd take them.

The first question is: why were those tires marked as they were in the packaging and visa-versa? The second question is: why are the tires being produced in Taiwan without any public notification, i.e. company website, packaging?

My experience with the Nokian products has been excellent to this point. I've been running the W106 tires on my road and cyclo-cross bikes for a number of years without so much as a flat let alone a torn sidewall and I run through a lot of ice too. We also use the Hakkapeliitta LT's on our SUV's and truck with the same all around Nokian standards I've come to expect and appreciate. I've personally logged thousands of kilometers on both and they handle the snow and ice like dry dirt. These have all been stamped "Made in Finland".

However, the WXC300's that I've taken possession of pales in comparison to my W106 tires. That was a shocker. But I don't think I need to go into all the compare and contrasts between them since I think you're aware of them. The one thing that does really stand out is the sidewall thickness, it is just paper-thin, one sharp piece of ice and it's over for a tire that retails at $150 US dollars. A few dollars more and I could be replacing my truck tire which isn't much more costly and that can last for years?

It is hard to determine what corporation owns what, but it seems that Nokian may have sold off the Bicycle side of the business back in 2006. But, that doesn't explain my W106 tires. Those tires are not four years old with the "made in Finland" stamping.

To give the company the benefit of the doubt I did send them an e-mail regarding this issue.

In the end everyone will make their own judgments, but I can tell you our cars don't lose studs and in particular my pickup has over 300hp so a bike tire shouldn't lose any as the other reviews have mentioned.

Thanks for reading.

Favorite Trail:   Charles River, so far.

Purchased At:   Belmont Wheelworks

Similar Products Used:   Nokian W106 only. That is a great tire. Long wearing on the road and in the woods. Have put thousands of miles on them. Near have lost a stud. Super strong sidewalls and tread and mine are made in Finland too.

Bike Setup:   The bike that would run the WXC300 tires is a Top Fuel 8 with all new components with the exception of the frame. The rest of the original components have been ground up and spit out. The bikes that run the W106 tires are Independent Planet Crosses. One is setup for cyclo-cross with Sram and the other for the road with Dura-Ace and of course the W106 tires.

Submitted by jimisnowhere a Weekend Warrior from Lynn, Ma

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2010

Strengths:    Traction riding on ice is just shy of riding on dry cement. I can bomb across lakes! You can remove your brakes, just stop pedaling and the bike immediately stops rolling. By spring you'll be stronger. I've only lost a few studs maybe 5, don't skid on anything but ice or snow. Skids on ice makes shaved ice fly everywhere!

Weaknesses:    Slow, heavy, noisy, stiff, slow.

Bottom Line:
These are great for the day of the snow storm, training on lakes, off road or very icy conditions. They do not like clear, wet asphalt, it makes em slow and age fast. They are a good width, 1.9", to spread out on ice, but dig into the snow, also they fit under Planet Bike's big mtb fender. They can get a bit surfy in 8+ inches. Set your bike up to have about 20 gear inches (25front X 30rear), you'll need it to move these guys, but you'll never dump on ice again. Ever.

Favorite Trail:   Lynn Woods

Purchased At:   Peter White cycles

Bike Setup:   94 Rockhopper, Nexus 3 spd w coaster. Blizzards-only winter commuter. If there is less than 2 inches on the road, I don't take it out. Next year I'll use em for trail use and update this review, They'll be going on my spiffy new full suspension rig.

Submitted by rkj__ a Cross Country Rider from Ancaster, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2010

Strengths:    I can ride my bike on ice!
Good traction in snow
Light for a studded tire
Hard carbide studs stay sharp

Weaknesses:    Durability
High MSRP

Bottom Line:
I decided I wanted to do more riding. One crash on ice was enough to convince me I wanted studs.

I jumped on a fantastic deal on these tires. They were broken in by a friend, and only used for a few rides. $160 for the pair. Norco sells these for $200 each MSRP here in Canada.

I put a good handful of rides on these tires over the winter season. I was very happy with the traction on snow. I was happy with the added confidence I had on ice. In some icy sections they let me breathe a little easier. In other icy sections I was grinning, because I knew it was impossible to stay upright without a good studded tire.

I was however disappointed with the durability. I lost a handful of studs ~10. Some were simply pulled out, but others were a result of the incredibly soft rubber simply tearing. The corners of the tread are showing wear. I understand stud loss is fairly common, but I'm more concerned about the rubber tearing and falling apart. Oh well. That's what happens when you ride a snowy and icy trail that still has some rocks exposed.

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS. Mavic XC117 and XC717 rims.
or
Norco Kokanee. Alex DM18 and X2100 rims.

Submitted by Algoncree a Cross Country Rider from Waswanipi, QC, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2009

Strengths:    They're still as sharp as when i bought them and i didn't lose one stud yet. They're light and I was told that they're gonna last over 5 years.

Weaknesses:    The thin side walls tend to freeze earlier than the pair i had last year(innnova).

Bottom Line:
I can't wait to ride them on glaze ice

Favorite Trail:   Any road with no pavement

Bike Setup:   Devinci Cameleon(made in Canada), disk brakes, front suspension...bought about 5 years ago

Submitted by Horst Linked a Cross Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2008

Strengths:    Light weight, great hook up on ice. The do what they're designed to do. Period.

Weaknesses:    Cost...but what do you expect, they're Nokians and they're studded! The only complaint I have is with phattire.com. The d-bag that runs the place (located near my home) insisted that he had to ship them to me and that I couldn't drive 5 miles to pick them up. The guy's a hack that's making money off of shipping costs.

Bottom Line:
Of course they'll wear on pavement! What do you expect? As far as using them for what they're designed to do, they're excellent. I've ridden them over one winter and have yet to find a weakness. Well worth the money if you're planning on riding frozen trails from late fall through early spring or commuting to work in the snow and ice.

Favorite Trail:   Any singletrack

Purchased At:   www.phattire.com

Bike Setup:   Hard tail Kona and FS Turner

Submitted by Philip Bailly a Cross Country Rider from Excelsior, MN

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2008

Strengths:    Wonderful grip on ice

Weaknesses:    Bead was non-existent on 1 cm of tire - may have contributed to front blow out and crash. I was lucky and did not end up paralyzed. Lose studs. Nokian is very stingy about supplying replacement studs. The tires wobble a bit and this is attributed to the way studded tires are made by various vendors. I think they wobbled because the bead was defective. I strongly recommend against buying these tires.

Bottom Line:
The slogan for Nokian is "Deserve them." As far as I am concerned it should be "Die on them."

Purchased At:   Various

Similar Products Used:   Only snow tire I have used. I have used lots of non-winter tires without such problems.

Bike Setup:   Old Univega frame with everything new and mostly mid-range priced strong but somewhat heavier components than top of the line.

Submitted by Dave a Racer from Minnesota

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2007

Strengths:    Hooks up well on all off road surfaces, 300 carbide studs! Solid tread pattern works well on all types of snow and loose/hard pack conditions.

Weaknesses:    Price, what a shot to the wallet!

Bottom Line:
The newer (post '03) models have been redesigned to reduce stud loss, any respectable rider knows that equipment wear is standard and studded tires are no exception.

Similar Products Used:   Nokian Extreme 296

Bike Setup:   Klein Adroit Race, Trek Fuel 98 with all the bells and whistles

Submitted by Philip Bailly a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2007

Strengths:    Superb grip on ice and shed snow easily.

Weaknesses:    Very soft rubber. If you ride them on a mixture of ice/snow and dry pavement, you can expect rapid wear and losing studs. On the dirt, the treads can rip off. Very Expensive. Not easy to get new studs; supposedly Nokian is going to launch a website in the US where one can buy studs in April '07.

Bottom Line:
Excellent grip on ice. Wear quickly if on dry pavement.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   I have not tried other studded snow tires.

Bike Setup:   Old Univega MTB.

Submitted by Steven kilburn a Cross Country Rider from Old Town, Me

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2006

Strengths:    Traction on ice and snow

Weaknesses:    Studs come out. However, I contacted Nokian and they sent me some studs and the installation tool free of charge. Great cs!!

Bottom Line:
Great tires. They are a bit narrow for my tastes but do they hook up!! I rode over everything super fast this winter with these things. We had absolutely no snow this year but there was ice everywhere. I highly recommend. It was like riding in late summer/early autumn all winter, just colder.

Favorite Trail:   Spider Loop, Okinawa, Japan

Purchased At:   For two on ebay!

Similar Products Used:   Homemade

Bike Setup:   Kona Unit

Submitted by Nick Vinson a Cross Country Rider from Newark DE USA

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2006

Strengths:    These tires are worth every dollar paid. They've held fast on ice, snow, rain, leaves and mud. They stop on a dime every time. Even with some hard use this winter, I only lost 2 studs per tire. Smooth enough for street riding and to be honest, I really enjoyed the scratchy sound of the studs on concrete.

Weaknesses:    Tires will kick out easily going over some obsticles. Snakebites(yes, I use tubes in mine at 60 psi). A tire liner solved that problem. Be careful tire will scartch soft flooring (wood, tile, flagstone, marble),

Bottom Line:
I removed these tires for spring, rode for a week and reinstalled them. I will ride them year round.
Anybody who rides on ice or snow should check these tires out.

Favorite Trail:   White Clay Creek

Purchased At:   Wooden Wheels of Newark

Similar Products Used:   First time

Bike Setup:   Easy, tire is labeled to show correct rotaion.

Submitted by Aivars a Cross Country Rider from Ogre, Latvia

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2006

Strengths:    Very good on ice and ice with a litle bit snow on it, it's seem like you riding on pavement. Good on deep snow. Very nice tracking whenever you go, snow or ice. Good mud clearance. Minimal weight penalty for the studs.

Weaknesses:    Rolling resistance and noise on hard pack or pavement is very high.

Bottom Line:
Studs matter, especially 300 studs. Very good winter tire, performs very well on ice and snow, right on the spot, where that matters. Good quality, I'm ride about 250km for now, and still didn't lose none of studs. So, for now, Hakka WXC300 is very reliable tire. So, if you want winter tire for narrowa and hard winter condition, this is it. Very reliable tire whenever you in winter go and whenever fast you go. But if you perform more riding on streets and similar surfaces, better chose some tire with less suds for lower rolling resistance and noise.

Purchased At:   www.cyclecomponents.com

Bike Setup:   ZZK Team frame, Marzocchi MX Pro ETA fork.

Submitted by Rodney Strader a Cross Country Rider from Magna, Ut

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2005

Strengths:    Excells on ice. Very light, half the weight of my downhill tires even with the studs.

Weaknesses:    Product came advertised as UST. Could not get either tire to hold air for very long. One leaks through the bead and the other around every knob on the case. Had to install tubes. $200 for two tires, that is twice the price of my studded tires on my car.

Bottom Line:
Very pleased with the performance on ice. With this tire I was able to ride trails covered with thick ice and water running down over the ice. (not hikeable without cleats) I had to install tubes in these tires which was disappointing because they came wrapped in UST labels. I used plenty of sealant and am no stranger to running tubeless, but these tires would not seal. They should take notes from Maxxis on how to build good UST tires.

Purchased At:   Phat tire

Bike Setup:   Giant Warp

Submitted by Albert Zweistein a Weekend Warrior from New England

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2004

Strengths:    Light weight

Weaknesses:    Sheds studs

Bottom Line:
I was so psyched to finally get some tungsten carbide studded tires for winter riding. These tires are $125 a copy and have 300 studs per tire in 4 staggered rows across the carcass of the tire.

I broke them in according to the manufacturers instructions (30 road miles), then I took an easy 7 mile ride on some snow covered (~6") trails through the woods. A portion of the trail was rocky, with some roots and log crossings, all covered in snow. I even rode around a frozen pond. That is where studded tires rule. Temperature 21°F

After the ride, I inspected the tires: 1 stud was missing from the front tire, and TWENTY-TWO (22) studs were missing from the rear! At least one stud in the rear was turned on its side. And I was riding easy because I did not want to pull any studs out.

I posted a message the usenet news group rec.bicycles.tech and found another user who experienced the same problem with the HAKKA WXC300. He recommended nokian extremes as a more reliable tire.

At this rate, I could shed all the studs in 100 miles. I expect more from a tire than costs more than any tire I have bought for my car, van, truck; and I get over 50,000 high-speed miles from them. I have used light weight sticky race tires that last only half a season, but these will be dangerous (useless) on ice after a few rides. Ridiculous!

I will contact nokian and see what they have to say. If I get a response, I will share it will you.

Favorite Trail:   Pico de Aneto, French Pyrenees