Home | Reviews | Tire | Nokian

Nokian Boazobeana F Tire

4.89/5 (9 Reviews)

• MTB tyre for cross-country & freeride use
  • Specially designed for winter XC and Ultra Marathon use
  • Good self-cleaning properties due to very open profile
  • A great number of tread sipes improve grip on hardpacked sand & rocky terrain
  • Great allround tyre for difficult conditions
  • Suitable as a front tyre
  • Max. inflation pressure 4.5 bar (65 psi)
  • Foldable version with aramid bead rings available for XC pros

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by OregonMTB a Cross Country Rider from Oregon, USA

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2007

Strengths:    Nice stiff knobs. Predictable on the corners. Long lasting (black only).

Weaknesses:    Not very long lasting (for the blue ones)

Bottom Line:
    These tires are great on hardpack and crushed granite. They last forever. The knobs are very siff and they dig into the corners very well. They roll very fast and the big aggressive knobs are on off to the sides.

The blue tires had a much shorter life.

Similar Products Used:   Just about everything.

Bike Setup:   I use them on all of my bikes

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2003

Strengths:    good control in varied conditions, blue color,

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
    I bought these in the blueish color and it looks great on my bike. The tread pattern is specific for the front and it gets the job done. The tire keeps me going in the right direction and noticed it after switching from my panaracers. Work in all coditions. Right now they are still holding up, but rubber compound is wearing out and about time to replace.

Purchased At:   Sweden

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer, Bontrager

Bike Setup:   trek 8000

Submitted by LEE PORTER a Cross Country Rider from WALES

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2003

Strengths:    VERY STRONG AND REASONABLY LIGHT TYRE, GRIPS LIKE SH!T TO A BLANKET.

Weaknesses:    NONE THAT I CAN FIND.

Bottom Line:
    LIKE I SAID, VERY STRONG AND KEEPS ROLLING IN THE DIRECTION YOU POINT IT ON ANY KIND OF SURFACE. STANDS OUT FROM THE REST ESPECIALLY IN THE GLOOPY STUFF. A CONFIDENCE INSPIRING TYRE. A GOOD CHOICE FOR AN EXTREME CROSS COUNTRY/FREERIDER.

Purchased At:   WIGGLE

Similar Products Used:   INTENSE COMP 70.

Bike Setup:   ORANGE SUB 5 WITH FOX UPGRADE.

Submitted by Travis S a Cross Country Rider from El Paso, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2003

Strengths:    Traction similar to WTB Velicoraptors without the extra weight.

Weaknesses:    None yet...

Bottom Line:
    My Velicoraptor front, after a year of use, finally gave out. While looking for a new front tire, I came across the reviews on MTBR for this tire and decided to give it a whirl. I ridden it on a variety of desert conditions, and it has done well in every circumstance. I have been very pleased, and plan on giving the Boazobeana X a try for my new rear. I would highly recommend these to someone looking for an all-purpose front tire that doesn't want to have the run-of-the-mill WTB logo on their tire.

Favorite Trail:   Anything twisty

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   WTB Velicoraptors

Submitted by Joe a Weekend Warrior from Alliance

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2002

Strengths:    Great cornering in loose terrain

Weaknesses:    Noisy on some hardpack

Bottom Line:
    When I first used this tire on some trails in Michigan, I had some concerns: 1)the tire sounded like a swarm of bees on the soft/hardpack 2) there was increased resistance. I've since used them in Oh, and have noticed different characteristics. I recently used them at Vulture's knob track in Wooster and found the tires to have very low resistance on the hardpack, I was able to fly through the single track (probably faster than I wanted to!). The tire offers excellent cornering capabilities on both hardpack and sandy trails.

Favorite Trail:   Vultures knob

Purchased At:   REI

Submitted by Kevin Lowe a Weekend Warrior from Nottingham

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2002

Strengths:    Directional stability, Cornering ability, mud clearing, Fast rolling,

Weaknesses:    Used in the local woods for single track. No faults at the present, just the best tyre sofar.

Bottom Line:
    Just the best tyre so far. Put it back on just over a month ago after trying winter mud tyres. Fantastic, put a smile back onto my face. Throw the bike into corners and it just hooks up, holds its line and will not be thrown off. Basically catch me if you can.

Currently running with specialized comp rear as the Nokian rear is not quite up to the job.

Favorite Trail:   Sherwood forest

Purchased At:   Bike-hut

Similar Products Used:   IRC Back-country, Gazzolodi duals

Bike Setup:   Raleigh Ti, cross country set up

Submitted by Neil a Cross Country Rider from VT

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2002

Strengths:    Superior cornering! Extremely low rolling resistance. Perfect profile, sheds mud like nothing else. Superior tire.

Weaknesses:    None. Period.

Bottom Line:
    This is the very best front tire I have ever used. It corners incredibly well, and has such looooow resistance you think you're on slicks. I recently switched to UST, and SORELY miss my Nokians (FWIW, I run only Noikian on my autos...). They are truly superior at diving into corners on loose terrain, and at holding superbly on off-camber. Nice, squared profile. Buy one!

Purchased At:   PhatTire

Similar Products Used:   Many

Bike Setup:   Very nice...

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Oregon

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2002

Strengths:    Blue color
    Light weight
    Hooks up great in the corners
    Stiff knobs
    Long-wearing
    Good on dry and mud

Weaknesses:    Other tires probably have less rolling resistance

Bottom Line:
    This tire has been great. I searched long and hard for a tire that would hook up on the dry crushed granite of my local trails. Other people have commented on fast wear. I have not experienced that at all. I do believe there are different compounds out there. The one I have is blue with black sidewall and has a very stiff compound. This tire hooks up great in the corners. Get one!

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Corratec Diamant Grip
    Mich Wildgripper
    Panaracer Dart (back in the day)
    Conti Explorer Pro

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler

Submitted by jack from newport beach

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2001

Strengths:    six months and no flats. Holds exceptionally well in the corners. Can basically take your mind off steering concerns and point the bike where you want to go. The front tire lasted a whole lot longer than the rear baozabeano. For two weeks in Colorado, I rode with these tires everyday on rocky mountain shale which is pinch flat heaven and the tires never let me down. Trudged through snow and mud and the tires hooked up great. Very reliable and consistent.

Weaknesses:    the rear baozabeano wore pathetically fast. That's about all though. Maybe they were more or less designed for x-c racers who want max. traction and don't mind the ridiculously fast tread wear.

Bottom Line:
    see above

Purchased At:   laguna cyclery

Bike Setup:   2001 Intense Tracer, shimano disc brakes, mavic 317 rims, easton E-70 riser bars, shimano xtr everything else.

Looking for higher volume equivalent of Nokian Boazobeana F

I have ridden the Nokian Boazobeana F for some time now, but a buddy convinced me I needed a higher volume tire up front (which was true). I rode a Geax Sedona 2.25 (they're huge) up front today, and slid out bad on a downhill hairpin I usually have no problem with. The Boazobeana F always hooked ... Read More »