Home | Reviews | Tire | Nokian

4.67/5 (12 Reviews)

Nokian 160 Studded Tire

Submitted by bedwards1000 a Cross Country Rider from Maine

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2012

Strengths:    Low Cost, Long Life, Great Traction, low Rolling Resistance (for this type of tire)

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
These are great tires for road and light trail riding. The grip can be significantly adjusted with tire pressure with the expense of rolling resistance. At the rated pressure the studs barely contact the ground but the rolling resistance is great for a studded winter tire. This is a good pressure if you might encounter a patch of ice on your trail but it's almost useless on black ice. At about 30-35psi (for me, 165 lbs+45lbs gear & Bike) there is a nice combination of grip and RR. This is the pressure I run mine at most of the time. If you know you are going to be riding across a lake or some other really icy ground drop the pressure to 20-25 to really keep the studs in contact with the ground.

On the trails these are functional but don't' give the confidence of a tire with a stud / knob.

Bottom line, if you ride the roads with an occasional trail these are a good choice for you. If you ride the trails with an occasional road, jump to the Nokian Extreme 294 or similar. I've been completely satisfied with them for the purpose they were bought for.

Favorite Trail:   Fast Doubletrack

Purchased At:   Tree Fort Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Nokian Extreme 294s

Bike Setup:   Commuter - Converted MTB

Submitted by Locke a Weekend Warrior from Munich, Germany

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2010

Bottom Line:
Drove them for 8 years during winter almost every day to work on my city-bike. They are worn but not worn down, though mostly driven on asphalt. Excellent on ice and snow. Bought them for my wife's city-bike as well.

Purchased At:   Germany

Submitted by jeff a Cross Country Rider from calgary

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2006

Strengths:    Great snow/ice performance.

Weaknesses:    Mine are very difficult to seat the bead

Bottom Line:
Rode all winter in Calgary. Saved my butt on sneaky icy patchs. Would not cummute without them.

Lost one stud on rear wheel during 60 km/h downhill.

Purchased At:   the bike shop

Bike Setup:   element 30

Submitted by Will Keogh a Weekend Warrior from Nyack, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2005

Strengths:    Fantastic grip on ice. Total confidence riding in winter.

Weaknesses:    Slooow. Well, at least compared to the 100psi slicks I ride in summer. Adds 5-10min to my 45min commute.

Bottom Line:
As an Australian who's recently moved to New York, ice on the roads last winter was a bit of a novelty. But I was determined to keep doing my bike commute (4mi of ploughed road + 4mi of forest trail) so I bought a pair of Nokian Mount and Ground W160's, and I love them.

Traction is great - I can ride with total confidence up ice slicks that I couldn't walk up. And I feel vastly safer in traffic. Not one fall in a whole winter of commuting. Traction is weaker than rubber-on-dirt but its predictable so it feels safe. Actually the weak traction is kind of fun - uphill on big ice slicks I can do burnouts in granny gear, and it makes a cool ripping noise as the studs carve through the ice. On hardpack the tires work fine. In slush they're a bit squirmy - OK for offroad where you can contemplate a fall, but scary in traffic. In fresh unconsolidated snow they feel really unstable and its exceedingly hard work. Not having tried any other tire in the snow I can't say if its a limitation of this tire or if riding in fresh snow is just plain difficult. I suspect the latter.

After one winter commuting (~500mi) there's no sign of wear on the studs whatsoever.

Purchased At:   Peter White Cycles (mail order)

Submitted by Peter Spiro a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2001

Strengths:    Fantastic cornering. I use it for winter commuting, only on the front wheel, and my control on slippery roads is fantastic. Pretty smooth rolling and not too noisy considering all those studs. Really grips well on black ice.

Weaknesses:    Slithers around in deep snow. The studs don't help there.

Bottom Line:
These give a vast increase in safety for winter road riding. The benefits far outweigh the slight increase in rolling resistance and noise.

Purchased At:   Europe Bound

Similar Products Used:   I made my own studded tires previously using screws, but those were much noisier with more rolling resistance and less grip.

Bike Setup:   Raleigh MTB with softride stem.

Submitted by Harri Manni a Cross-Country Rider from Sweden

Date Reviewed: December 28, 1999

Strengths:
Grip on ice
price (atleast in Sweden)

Weaknesses:
Haven't found any... Yet.

Bottom Line:
Last winter I fell pretty bad whit my bike, this because of a blank spot under some powder snow. I was about to buy a couple of studded tires right then but I was a bit skeptic if the would make any difference.
Now I can only say that all the misgivings I had about studded tires for bikes is wiped away!
I feel more safe biking on ice than walking on it with these babys on my rims!As a previous reviewer said, they make a funny sound when riding bare roads, but hey, I think it sound cool... :)If you think about buying studded tires I think these are a good low-cost entry-level studded tires.

Buchwhacking..

Solid.

Submitted by Lee Crowell a Cross-Country Rider from Bartonsville PA

Date Reviewed: December 12, 1999

Strengths:
unknown

Weaknesses:
unknown

Bottom Line:
You can very easily make your own studded tires, see my review of the other model Nokian studded tire and you'll get all the info. It's definitely worth the trouble and you'll save money big time.

camelback

home made studded tires

97 stumpjumper hardtail

Submitted by Mark Hinman a Weekend Warrior from Columbia, MD

Date Reviewed: March 16, 1999

Strengths:
Unbelievable on ice

Weaknesses:
Heavy gum wall constuction.
Noisy on pavement

Bottom Line:
We got about 6 inches of snow by yesterday morning. Yesterday was in 40s. There was a lot of melting yesterday, and no where for it to
drain to. It was in the 20s last night, resulting in an incredible amount of
black ice. These tires are unbelievable on ice. The traction is probably
about 30% of what you would get on dry pavement. But 30% is a lot more than
0%. I was cruising over polished sheets at 15 MPH, like they weren't even
their. I run the tires at 50lbs without snow on the ground, and about 25lbs with snow. I have tried them in a powder snow, and they performed flawlessly. In a wet snow with freezing rain, and lots of underlying compacted areas from foot prints. The tire was a little skitish. But I don't think there is a tire that wouldn't be. These tire wear very well, I have about 100 miles on them, alot on it on dry pavement. I commute so I have ice in the morning, and clear road in the evening. The studs show little wear to spite the dry milage.

98 Trek 8500 with the Nokian Hakkapelita W106

Submitted by pedro a cross-country rider from canada

Date Reviewed: February 12, 1999

Bottom Line:

i got these tires for my beater bike in the winter, and the rule! they make ia funny buzzing sound but they give traction when needed. and at $35 can. each at mountain equipment co-op they are one of the best things for a commuter, who does not need to pollute.

Submitted by John Lockwood a cross-country rider from CT

Date Reviewed: January 17, 1999

Bottom Line:

While I agree with the previous comments about these being a good commuter tire, they aren't that bad on the trails. In fact, I've done some pretty icy trails and hills this winter and haven't had any problems. Certainly get the 256's if you're riding the glaciers or icy cliffs. For most other winter riding, the 160's will work well for less money (and weight).

Submitted by Don Billgren a cross-country rider from Malmo, Sweden

Date Reviewed: February 19, 1998

Bottom Line:

This must be the one otherwise called Hakepelitta (approximately!). Just got it and have only used it commuting. For that purpose it's just the ticket - doesn't slip on ice, and rolls nicely on paved roads. Slight rust on the studs after a short time. Hesitate to go off road into the slush and mud with them - tame treads.

Submitted by HOSman a weekend warrior from Kalamazoo, MI USA

Date Reviewed: January 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

This is not your meaty XC winter bomber, but if you do the icy daily winter commute to and from work like I do, I highly recommend these tires. They clear snow extremely well, grab on the icy patches like the ice isn't even there, and handle just fine on dry clean roads due to very mild stud protrusion. In other words, a great set of commuting tires to put on when the winter gets bad and take off when the snow and ice leave. I would not commute this winter without these tires with the lunatic drivers we have around Michigan.