Michelin XL S Tire

3.49/5 (45 Reviews)

Michelin Tubeless XL S - Cross Country competition tire, Self cleaning tread design, extreme grip, high density casing, two directional - front and rear.

Submitted by biga6462 a Cross Country Rider from Houston

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2008

Strengths:    Nice Grip On Climbs

Bottom Line:
I was able to get these free because my stock Bontrager Jones had a defect in them. I have put about 1200 miles on these and have only had 3 flats. Others complain about sidewall blow out but I have no problems and the tread could probably last me a few hundred more miles. They are great on climbs and are a very fast tire overall. The only complaint is that I wish they had these in a 2.2 model.

Favorite Trail:   Madrone Trail

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Jones and Connection Trail, Hutchinson Python, IRC Mythos

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 70 Stock

Submitted by Filtersweep a Racer from Stavanger, Norway

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2007

Strengths:    Good grip, nice compound- definitely an improvement in climbing. Excellent price (on sale)- wish I would have purchased more.

Weaknesses:    Higher rolling resistance than other tires, softer compound will wear faster, feels slower on pavement.

Bottom Line:
These tires give a confident ride. They are probably better suited for roots and rocks-- if you want something fast on gravel, there are better options out there.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Submitted by tom a Cross Country Rider from rhinebeck, ny, usa

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2006

Strengths:    strong climbing, great hook up in all conditions, especially on wet rocks and roots where you need it the most. I don't think I sacrificed too much speed for the traction. I also loved the small ground contact with high volume in the tire.

Weaknesses:    stupid things are fragile, as mentioned in other reviews. sidewalls ripped after one year, but I loved them so I just taped the tear, then two days ago the bead that hooks up with the rim just tore. ARgh! I was climbing a road at the end of a ride so no problems, but that also means I know it was the tire and not an obstacle on the trail. I ride in the low 30's psi (whatever feels right)

Bottom Line:
if you don't mind replacing them or dealing with torn tires on the trail then buy it, they climbed so well it was silly

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   montpelier, vt

Similar Products Used:   wtb specialized irc

Bike Setup:   1997 specialized stumpjumper recently rebuilt with xtr and fsa carbon cranks, soo sweet.

Submitted by James a Weekend Warrior from Surrey, England

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2006

Strengths:    Fantastic grip. Best tyres I've used to date uphill, downhill and in mud.

Weaknesses:    FRAGILE....WAY TOOOOO FRAGILE!!!

Bottom Line:
These tyres were brilliant while they lasted. Sadly they didn't last!!!

Two splits in the rear tyre in last 4 rides. Today riding on road the tube exploded through the rear sidewall(running 40psi) Split so wide it could not be patched with duck tape as the previous one had and leaving me to hike home:-(( First time I've had this sort of problem with tyres and now have no confidence in this product. Have to replace the rear anyway but will be replacing the front as a blowout like the rear today would be very dangerous on the front. I have subsequently found at http://www.mtbreview.com that these tyres have a long history of splitting for no good reason. In a nutshell my experience is that these tyres are bloody dangerous and not fit for purpose. £30 down the drain

Favorite Trail:   Any!!!

Purchased At:   Chainreaction

Similar Products Used:   WTB Velocirator, IRC Mythos XC and PANARACER MACH SS

Bike Setup:   99 Marin Muirwoods various upgrades over the years.

Submitted by CJ a Racer from Holland

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2005

Strengths:    Climbs awsome!!! It was amazing to me how well it worked.

Weaknesses:    When i got it, it was not completly streight, so it has a little wobble to it, like if the rim was bent.

Bottom Line:
I love this product and will be buying a new one soon.

Favorite Trail:   Pontiac Lake Rec. Area

Purchased At:   universal cycles

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Fast Track

Bike Setup:   I have used it both on a giant yukon and a specialized stumpjumper HT.

Submitted by Jon a Cross Country Rider from Birmingham UK

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2004

Strengths:    grips like nothing else, no flats (yet) and i still have thoes little rubber bits.

Weaknesses:    a bit heavy, come up big.

Bottom Line:
they are the best all round tyre i have used for UK conditions, good in mud good on hardpac, not so good on road.
One problem is that the 2.00 is actually bigger than the 2.25 irc Kujo

Purchased At:   wiggle online store

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer fire XC, nokian, IRC, hutchinson, continental.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F800 with lefty TPC, hayes discs and XT hollowtech 2 cranks

Submitted by Kris Buckles a Cross Country Rider from Indianapolis

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2004

Strengths:    Digs into sand, loam, gravel etc., corners on rails.

Weaknesses:    Seams to be hardening up.

Bottom Line:
Have not had any problems with sidewalls, and is staying a very sticky tire. A very good tubeless tire and well worth the money.

Favorite Trail:   Nebo Ridge

Purchased At:   EbAY

Similar Products Used:   WTB Enduro Raptor, IRC Back Country, Panaracer Fire, Tioga Psycho

Bike Setup:   Sugar 2+

Submitted by Dimitri a Cross Country Rider from Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2004

Strengths:    Decent in SAND

Weaknesses:    Sidewalls fail immediatley if downhilling with less than 60lbs. of pressure.

Bottom Line:
These tires are only usable for light trail riding. They have no purpose on any form of downhill.

Favorite Trail:   Old Cactus Cup

Similar Products Used:   Larsen TT

Bike Setup:   Kona Hei Hei, Full SRAM

Submitted by Don Juan a Cross Country Rider from Albuquerque, NM

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2004

Strengths:    Light and Cheap, Fast yet Grabby

Weaknesses:    Sidewalls

Bottom Line:
These were the fastest, lightest (sub 19 OZ), tires that actually grabbed the dirt, loamy soil, sand, gravel AND provided traction when needed. Low rolling resistance. I ran the Rear backwards. I've raced them. BUT, after 400 miles, the sidewalls are trashed, each had a slit. I know this happens when you ride fast through lots of rock gardens, but I was hoping to wear the tread completely out before replacing....

Favorite Trail:   Angel Fire

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Smoke, Old Ground Controls

Bike Setup:   Tomac Eli Stock + Carbon goodies

Submitted by Marc from Maastricht, The Netherlands

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2004

Strengths:    Strong, light, low rolling resistance, a lot of grip!

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
No complaints at all. Plenty of grip, uphill and cornering, and very fast... that's all I need. I recommend it! Perfect fast allrounder.

Similar Products Used:   Continental Escape (weak, many flats, otherwise perfect)

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper, Fox Float RLT 80, Avid SD 7, XT, Thompson.

Submitted by Vic a Cross Country Rider from Moscow, Russia

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2004

Strengths:    Grip, slow wear, versatility, weight

Weaknesses:    Sidewalls SEEM to be weak, but this can be because I've read so much scary things about them. Pricey.

Bottom Line:
Some say these tires do not last for long in terms of sidewalls? I just can make assumptions. 3 months possibly is not enough, though this stands for over 900 kms. They still look and work great, no significant signs of wear and these scary sidewalls problems mentioned. Yes, when I touch them, sidewalls feel fragile, but they last. I ride quite mixed terrains, these tires grip like hell on any kind of it, rolls pretty good and don't make much noise (unlike Continental Explorers). Let's see. No complaints for now.

Similar Products Used:   Tioga Factory XC and Extreme (absolute crap), variety of Maxxis, Nokian, Kenda, Continental

Bike Setup:   Currently unsatisfactory

Submitted by gary a Cross Country Rider from arkham, ma.

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2004

Strengths:    very good all around traction, reasonable weight

Weaknesses:    FRAGILE, MOST FRAGILE TIRE I'VE EVER RIDDEN, cost

Bottom Line:
well with these i thought i had found the perfect tire, they provided excellent traction in all conditions including winter riding. my first tire developed a bubble after just a few weeks of intermittent riding, treadwear was negligeable. my second tire i just found also has a sidewall bubble and will have to be discarded. $80.00 for the pair, not cheap for throw away tires! too bad cause i really liked these traction-wise actually better than anything else i had been using. would try them again if sidewall durability were improved.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   mostly panaracer fire xc pro, different wtb raptors, hutchinson python

Bike Setup:   santa cruz superlight, fox 100 rlc, mostly xtr with avid mecanical disc brakes, synchros rims

Submitted by roger a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2004

Strengths:    ease of installation, tread pattern, grips like hell

Weaknesses:    used to paying Panaracer prices, so a little steep, but woth every dime

Bottom Line:
There have been some complaints on the Blur about running 2.1 or bigger tires and glopping them with mud causing rubbing, etc... I decided to step down to a 2.0 b/c all I seem to get lately is mud. I have been loyal to the Fire XC for a while, but the XL-S is a superior tire. I am talking about the '04 xls. This tire mounts easily on my Rhyno lites and grips like contact cement. Gravel to rock dusty areas, red clay, mica dust, all the sh*t that slides out the bike is dealt with by this tire. Handles great. This tire will leave you feelin' satisfied.

Favorite Trail:   any, beats work

Purchased At:   americanbike.com

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis High Roller, WTB Weirwolf, Panaracer Fire XC, Conti DF

Bike Setup:   04 Santa Cruz Blur, xt/xtr mix, Black Elite f Fox r suspension, rhyno lite/xtr wheels, Easton carbon

Submitted by Kuma a Racer from Cincinnati, OH

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2003

Strengths:    Durability and handling. I CANNOT understand the complaints on these tires. I have been using the same one (on the back) for 3 years!!! I ride hundreds of miles a year and race almost every weekend April-Oct. I have only flatted one time during a race and that was because I did a terrible thing to my rim barreling over rocks.

Bottom Line:
I'll never use another tire