Michelin XCR Road Tire

3.5/5 (4 Reviews)

Its light weight, supple casing and slick tread transform. A soft rubber mix helps provide cornering grip and responsive braking.

Submitted by Bombing The Town a Racer from San Diego

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2012

Strengths:    A light weight folding slick that sticks at speed.

Weaknesses:    Sand, gravel and water on the road if your enough of a rookie not to know that slicks will not grip in these conditions.

Bottom Line:
If you're not used to riding on the road with expensive high-pressure road tires at high speeds, these might take some getting used to. If you're an experience cyclist, you'll love them, and chances are you won't flat because you won't be riding them over everything that builds up on the side of the road. I hate to see bad reviews of great products (on or off the road) by people who are not qualified to judge- learn to ride better and you'll be amazed how much better all of your tires will perform. These rock at high speed!

Favorite Trail:   Mammoth

Similar Products Used:   Too many to name.

Bike Setup:   Hig performance mountain bike with an extra set up carbon fiber wheels for the road.

Submitted by travis.garrison a Cross Country Rider from Portland, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2010

Strengths:    - Durable
- Long Tread Life
- High Pressure rating 65-87psi

Weaknesses:    - Don't do well on sand or dirt in the road
- Not puncture proof (but not horrible either)

Bottom Line:
I've been running these tires for my road riding for a couple years now and they've been a very good tire. The only flat I've ever gotten was on a trip through Ft. Collins, CO but I don't blame the tire. That place has more goat heads lying on the road than anywhere I've ever been, and most road tires don't do well against goat heads anyway.

I'm switching to Hutchinson Top Slick 2 tires but that's only because they are 210gr and 1.0" thick. These are a great choice if you do a lot of road riding and want to better outfit your bike for that type of work.

Similar Products Used:   - Ritchey Tom Slicks

Bike Setup:   K2 Zed 2.0 MTB, Serfas Saddle, Ritchey comp flat handlebars, Shimano M520 Clipless Pedals, Forte Aerobar, Ergon GP1 grips.

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Atlantic Beach, FL

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2007

Strengths:    Fast-rolling and light... but at a cost!

Weaknesses:    Very prone to cuts caused by road debris. NO TRACTION if the road is wet at all.

Bottom Line:
AVOID THESE AT ALL COSTS! I've gone through two in just over 200 miles. I finished one ride to discover a 1 inch split right through to the casing. Whether it was caused by road debris or a defect I'm not sure. Two rides later I hear air hissing out of my back tire and find a 1/2 inch gash in a brand new tire.

I tapped my front brake when the road was wet and my front tire immediately locked up. The result wasn't pretty. At least the car behind me managed to miss running over my head.

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Bike Setup:   Mountain bike converted to keep up with the roadies. 1X8 drive-train.

Submitted by bob a Weekend Warrior from Florida

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2007

Strengths:    light weight, narrow, grips

Weaknesses:    haven't found any

Bottom Line:
I have raced on them & am still riding on them, over a year. Leaning towards 200 miles on them.