Michelin XC Hard Terrain Tire

When the trail is more like concrete than dirt, choose the XC Hard Terrain. With its remarkably light weight and low-profile, claw-shaped knobs, the XC Hard Terrain is all about speed. Yet its aggressive shoulder knobs provide grip in the turns. A heavy-duty casing and durable rubber compound promote long wear.

Submitted by Johan Greeff a Cross Country Rider from St Gallen, Switzerland

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2011

Strengths:    Speed, grip in the dry, converts to tubeless REAL easily.

Weaknesses:    None for what it was intended for.

Bottom Line:
I started buying Michelins only recently, purely because they were half the price of anything else out there (this was not the case before, so maybe they came down to earth a bit...).
These tyres perform beyond what they were designed for, and have made me very happy with the money spent. Its spring here now, and I have fitted a set of new the Wildrock'r. Just waiting for mtbr to put those on the list, and I will tell you all about them - awesome so far!!! When it dries out a bit, the Hard Terrains are going back on again, since they show very little wear after about 2500km.

Favorite Trail:   Abtwil

Purchased At:   Bike Import

Similar Products Used:   Vredenstein

Bike Setup:   On-one Inbred, X9, XT, DT240-Stans ZTR Olympics, Marzocchi Corsa LR.

Submitted by koankoen a Cross Country Rider from Rockhampton

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight tyre that rolls well on ashphalt and hard trails

Weaknesses:    Sometimes a little hard to get bead to bed in straight. Personally I would like it more in a 1.75 for road work.

Bottom Line:
I raced these tyres in tourdetimor 2009 and they were great on the hard roads as well as for training miles on open unsealed roads. I actually ground off abit more centre tread to make the ride smoother. The last one I bought I was amazed to easily mount tubeless (after setting bead in with a tube overnight) but haven't hammered it much yet to see how the light sidewalls stand up.

Favorite Trail:   Light Line,Mt Nebo

Purchased At:   City Centre Differen

Similar Products Used:   XC Dry, various maxxis conti irc tyres

Bike Setup:   Ti hardtail sometimes with rigid front end too.

Submitted by BigA0168 a Weekend Warrior from Cincinnati OH

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2010

Strengths:    Ride, traction on packed soil, asphalt

Weaknesses:    Not the fastest on the asphalt, mud traction

Bottom Line:
I bought these a couple months back after getting tire of the low rolling resistance of my Bontregor nobbies on the pavement. I ride probably 65% pavement the rest trails. They do roll much faster then my Bontragor's did on hard ground and pavement although not as fast a pure street tire would. On recently tested them out on some hard packed mountain bike trails and they did awsome. The corner very flat with no slideout on the switchbacks and have plenty of traction to get up packed hills. I really havn't gotten into much mud with them and I know thier not made for it so I'm assuming thats a low point with these tires.

Favorite Trail:   Hueston Woods

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Bike Setup:   2009 Trek 4500

Submitted by judge a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2009

Strengths:    Weight, profile, easy folding for packing/shipping

Weaknesses:    None yet!

Bottom Line:
Having moved out of the city I needed a tyre that would give me some bite on the hard trails and sand where I now live but still give good performance and low resistance on asphalt where I spend 60-70% of the time. After a lot of research I bought the XC and I am delighted. Pumped hard there is no appreciable difference to the Conti's on the road and I can now ride along the beach without giving myself a hernia. The 2.0 width and squarish profile let it ride on top of the sand rather than digging in as the rounder profile 1.9 Conti's tended to. And the performance on hard pack and sand in corners is a huge improvement. Haven't tried them in the wet though.

Favorite Trail:   East Beach, Port Fairy

Purchased At:   Chainreaction Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Continental Town & Country

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F700,[2000], RoKshok suspension seat post, various replacements for bits that have worn out/briken

Submitted by athleticfatih a Racer from Turkey - Izmir

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2008

Strengths:    Durability!,Suitable for all terrain except wet ground, Light enough for its durability,when you inflate it to 58psi it goes very fast each on asphalte or cross medium.
Rolls fast, turns secure

Bottom Line:
I used this tire approximately 10.000km on every terrain.
Attended marathon races, ride daily long tours (up to 350km), record tries, dry/wet mediums, either on front or rear side, on hard rocks etc.

I sold this tire after 10.000km even including a patch on one side.It is great!

Favorite Trail:   Istanbul-Izmir

Purchased At:   Alatin bisiklet (Tre

Similar Products Used:   this is an extraordinary tire

Bike Setup:   Scott Voltage YZ4 frame, Suntour Capa TL fork, XT crankset, XT rear der, XT brake/shift levers, LX front der, SRAM road cassette 12-26, Mavic 117 rims, Deore front hub, XTR rear hub, CST slick tires (1.15" - 1.5" - 2.0"), Amoeba 68cm 25.4mm DH bar

Submitted by Steve Woutters a Cross Country Rider from Beveren

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2006

Strengths:    I am not seeing a lot strengths in a tire that surpasses its purpose somehow

Weaknesses:    Huge! On the road it has much higher rolling resistance than claimed. It is basically slow.

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a tire for cycle touring in south India. Although I might have selected the wrong type of tire for touring, I was very disappointed with the weight, size and rolling resistance of this tire. It does not accellerate and it is just tough to maintain a decent speed. It is going back to the shop and I will continue riding my excellent Michelin Wildgripper Comp for another while. These are much much faster.

Favorite Trail:   road and gravel roads

Purchased At:   local shop