Michelin Wild Race’R Advanced Tire

Michelin Wild Race'r Advanced MTB Tire. Michelin's pro-level, dual-compound, singletrack shredding XC tire takes competition seriously, and at about 500 grams, you're hard pressed to find a tire this light that will perform this well. The Race'r Advanced

Submitted by Michael a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2013

Strengths:    I have the Advanced 2013 version 2.25 using as a back tire.
Lots of grip on climbs!
Super light ~500grams!

Weaknesses:    Too much grip! yes in deed. the hollow dimples act as suction cups. I had to put lots of air in tire to reduce its grip. The down side of too much air is the tire bounced alot. These are super thin tires and when you put lots of air they get very bouncy.

Bottom Line:
I used tire in the rear as a 2.25 2013 model with Advance technology rubber. I think the 2.25 gripped too much for the rear when climbing. Funny to say too much, but yes too much. I felt like I had an anchor. I had to put alot of air into the tire to get it to grip less, and that made back tire less complient over rocks, roots and made tire very bouncy. You can hear the suction of the hollow dimples gripping. Great technology but too much grip for my liking. I ran the tire and after 4 rides the sidewall tore ~1.25" cut due to very fast down hill. I thought I had a blow out, but when I looked at tire it was wet from sealent and had huge gash. First time in 9years I had a tire get a side wall cut. Thats becasue these tire are super thin sidewalls, so if you hit a large bump at high speeds the rim will slice the sidewall. I was sorta happy, but cause wanted to remove the tire, but since I paid $60 for it I figure i ride it till it wore out. well after 4 rides, it gave out. I put on my trusty Continental Race King 2.2 UST. Much happier to go back to what worked super well and is super stable and relaible.

Purchased At:   amozon

Similar Products Used:   Race King 2.2 UST

Bike Setup:   Pivot 5.7 Carbon 2012 all XTR and all carbon components

Submitted by aaron

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2013

Strengths:    Super light! They are very fast! After riding them for 3 months they seem surprisingly durable with no cuts, tears, or wear detected. Shed mud fast. Grip surprisingly well while climbing (but my Tallboy C might play a role there). Do better than expected on hardpack snow. I ride them at just shy of 30psi and light the feel.

Weaknesses:    Very few if you use them for the right type of riding. They are not intended for railing around loose rocks or pulverized granite corners or really muddy conditions. But they do rail around hardpack dirt.

Bottom Line:
When the tires arrived I was nervous. They are like large Cross tires and were lower profile knobs then I had expected. But they snapped right into my Easton Haven UST rims and sealed immediately with an air compressor. No seeps at all.
They are NOT intended to be downhill or all mountain tires so don't be foolish and think that they can be. A few of my friends joke about the size (2.0) but its hard to hear them when they wallow on the climbs with their heavy DH tires. (haha)
I have found few cases where they tires are a detriment. Its usually on very loose fast non bermed corners but they just are not meant for that and the overall speed of the tires allows to you slow up for those few situations and still be plenty fast. I am super impressed by these tires and highly recommend them if you like XC riding/racing and want an ultra light tire. I doubt you can find a better tire this light for the price (I searched plenty)....add that it is surprisingly fast, durable, and grippy I say buy it.

Submitted by SMP Joe a Weekend Warrior from lenexa, ks

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2012

Strengths:    i thought this tire works great. our trails are mixed rocky and dirt and sometimes mud. they seem to shed mud and at 2 inches they cut the mudd as well. i can climb loose rock without issue and havent had a pinch flat or tear. we ride fast and hard since the trails are in our bCK yard. in single track dirt i am confident and they are very light and i would compare to panaracer tire but grip rock better.

Weaknesses:    the knobs could be bigger which may extend the life of the tire. i cant think of a reason to not like thetire.

Bottom Line:
great tire. spins fast, grips well for a variety of terrains. i am concerned about how long they last. mostly we ride tirs for only a season anyhow.

Favorite Trail:   Shawnee mission Park