Michelin Wild Gripper City Tire

3.75/5 (20 Reviews)

Super fast road tire to fit MTB wheels
  • Durable 33 tpi casing
  • Pavement gripping slick tread with siping grooves to channel water away
  • Available as steel bead black gumwall

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by James Rai a Cross Country Rider from Bristol

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2008

Strengths:    Cheap and reliable, Fast and very good puncture resistance.

Weaknesses:    The tyre wall is not curved with the main centre tread - as it starts to wear you will hear the rub sound when going round corners which in the wet is lethal if you ride pretty fast and lean.

Bottom Line:
    I have use these tyres for 7-8 yrs and I can't remember when I had a puncture.

I have them pumped to the max so it feels like a 1.5" road tyre and rides fast.

Clears glass, thorns due to thick heavy casing.

The tyre is like a square block so while great round corners, it can slide badly when part worn in the wet when pumped at high pressure so let it down a bit in the wet.

I've kept up with roadies with these and they have been an excellent tyre. City slickers are softer and grip better round corners.

Don't go too narrow or it won't seat on your mtb rims which could be too wide and allow any thin tyre to pop.

Run them max and you'll never puncture and after 20 mile rides I am not feeling jarred.

If you can't fit them-use soapy water to slide any tyre on.

After 7yrs I'll be looking for a lighter rounded tyre but if nothing is available and I can still get these in a schwalbe copy.

Purchased At:   Halfords

Similar Products Used:   City Slickers etc

Bike Setup:   Usually a hardtail set up for commutes.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2007

Strengths:    Great price, Durable rubber, Light weight, Low rolling resistance, Low profile, Quiet footprint & Vents water well.

Weaknesses:    Hard to fit on disk rims the very first time, after that you get used to it. Tread to vent water makes up 20% of the contact surface.

Bottom Line:
    UPDATE: I swapped the front tire with 7,400kms (4yrs) on it to the rear wheel (July 2005) and I've put on another 2,800kms by the middle of December 2006. The lesser distance put on the tire since swapping is due to moving to a house in Pickering and spending a lot of time on renovations and little time left for cycling when tired. But, since swapping the tire I've had no flat tires. Possibly "luck" or the fact that the 2006 cycling season had far fewer broken glass bottles along my waterfront route. I only bike in the dry and on city streets, sidewalks and bike paths. Being a clydesdale rider of (190-210lbs), I've only ever been caught out in the rain 1x. The tire/tread did an excellent job in venting away the water to keep me upright. I'm now using IRC Metro Duo's (front + rear) with a tread to vent water that makes up only 5% of the contact surface. The tire is a little higher in profile but narrower in width when compared to the Michelins. I read that the Michelins squarer profile is best suited for straightaways, while the IRCs rounder profile are best suited for turns.
    Bottom Line: 4 flats in 5.5yrs with 10,200kms on them = 5/5!

Purchased At:   Earl's Cycle / Went out of business 2003

Similar Products Used:   Tioga City Slicker 26"x1.950" at 65psi, IRC Metro Duro 26"x1.5" at 70psi.

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2005

Strengths:    Great price, Durable rubber, Light weight, Low rolling resistance.

Weaknesses:    Hard to fit on disk rims the very first time. I nearly broke the Park Tire Levers and or my fingers.

Bottom Line:
    The bike came with Bontrager Jones 26"x2.0" front and rear,
    but I changed them to slicks. The Reason: the Panaracer Fire XC Pro's that I put on my 1996 GT Ricochet for 90% city streets, 10% trails were a little loud and wore quickly. The Michelin Wild Gripper City tires were the best slicks to put on my bike. I had them on from July 2001 to July 2005 with 7,400kms on them. I swapped the tires (front to rear) to equal out the tire wear.
    I've had 6 flats with them but only 4 attributed to them.
    (Of the 2 flats that did not count, the 1st was from a Spin Skin tire liner crumbling and poking thru the tube. The 2nd was from a 1/4" cut that I filled with glue to hold it closed. It dried hard and acted like a thorn, oops!
    I used a sidewall patch but it shows a little bulge and a vibration is noticed at low speeds. I wish I had the money at the time to buy 2 pairs and not just 1.
    Bottom Line: 4 flats in 4yrs with 7,400kms on them = 5/5!

Purchased At:   Earl's Cycle / Went out of business 2003

Similar Products Used:   Tioga City Slicker 26"x1.950" at 60psi, IRC Metro Duro 26"x1.5" at 80psi.

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk, Answer/Manitou SX-R 80mm, Fox Racing Shox 38mm, Hayes full hydraulics.

Submitted by Mark H a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2004

Strengths:    Good grip on pavement wet or dry. Good tread wear. High (80)psi tire. Name Brand. Low profile (some may like the road feedback.)

Weaknesses:    Low profile sidewall makes for a jolting ride (a lot of road feedback.) Don't forget to change your computers tire dia. setup. Always picking small pebbles out of the tread. Did I mention the harsh ride (you don't have to run them at max. psi. I did for speed and that I got.)

Bottom Line:
    When I put these on I really liked them. I didn't like installing them at first but it turned out that was me. I had very little problems with them for over a year, until last month. While riding home I noticed the back tire seemed flat and, had a noticeable thump caused by a bulge. When I got home and broke it down, I found broken/worn cords on the inside where the bulge was. (Still @ 70psi.) Still, I recommend them if your like me and like trying/testing things. I used them with tube liners to help keep flats to one time only.

Favorite Trail:   The one from work to home.

Purchased At:   Ajo Bikes

Similar Products Used:   GEAX Roadsters

Bike Setup:   Motobecane Nomad 400fs

Submitted by Casp a Weekend Warrior from Flushing, New York USA

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2003

Strengths:    Brand? Material?

Weaknesses:    Very heavy. About 2 pounds each. Wire bead extremely difficult to install on rim.

Bottom Line:
    At 750 grams or about 2 pounds for each tire, it is quite heavy. Had a very difficult time installing the tire onto the rim. Nearly broke the plastic tire levers. (BTW: I borrowed a set of Park Tire Levers from a friend and they're the best levers around.) I installed one tire to the front wheel, inflated it and it seemed okay. I installed the other tire to the rear wheel, inflated it and it wobbles. I took the front tire and put it in the rear wheel, works fine. Tried putting the rear tire on the front wheel, same wobble. Inconsistent construction? I give up. Threw it in a box and sent it back!!! If you buy these tires you're in for a headache and wasted $$ on return shipping if you mailorder. So if you want a semi-slick tire for street use, get the Tom Slicks or KWest. Those are the ones I'm using now and they work great.

Purchased At:   nashbar.com

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey Tom Slicks City Tire
    Kenda KWest

Bike Setup:   Specialized MTB Commuter

Submitted by Emil a Weekend Warrior from Denmark

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2003

Strengths:    Grip, absorbent ride, grip, thick tread to discourage punctures, grip, forgiving handling, grip, and did I mention grip?

Weaknesses:    None that stand out.

Bottom Line:
    Okay, so some of you will think I am going too far, but nothing comes close to these tyres! Grip is awesome, wet or dry. Rolling resistance isn't the lowest, but who cares, that just means more exercise!
    Honestly, I push my bike to and past the limit on sealed roads, and nothing has ever performed like these tyres. Nowhere else have I found such progressive breakaway, and such absolutely delightful "feel". Everything that goes on between tyre and road is immediately telegraphed up to your finger tips - useful when you like to push your luck!

Vredestein are the only tyres that come close, because they too have found the secret to a good tyre carcass. Unfortunately, their tread compound cannot compete with the grip on offer from Michelin.

Funny though, 'cause most Michelin car tyres are quite average - my four-wheeled beast swears by Bridgestone!

Similar Products Used:   City/slicks from Vredestein, Bridgestone, Ritchey, Vittoria, Tioga

Bike Setup:   Marin Aluminium Hard Tail

Submitted by Urban Lauski from London, UK

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2003

Strengths:    Roll very nicely on the road.
    Some scope for short stretches of hardpack.
    No concerns over grip in the wet
    Cornering is very stable.
    Excellent performance under braking.
    Cheap.

Weaknesses:    Punctures!
    Hard to get on and off.
    Heavy.

Bottom Line:
    Theses tyres are not bad at all - when they work and that is the problem.
    I only use my bike for commuting on asphalt and I actually enjoyed the comfortable ride, good cornering, good wet weather handling and braking performance. It is not a slow tyre but these have given me more headaches than all the tyres I have used over the years. In 6 months, I amassed two rear punctures and one at the front. All were glass related. However, even punctures are OK if they do not hold you up for too long and this is the major problem.
    They take absolutely ages to get on and off. I'm certain that we are not ALL getting the tyre-changing routine wrong everytime but these seem to take longer than any other tyres around. For me personally, I think that my running them on Mavic X221's (which are very narrow) is the major factor but I have not had these problems with my Contis or Fat Boys. :-(

For those of you who have them already, I sincerely hope that you have less problems than I did - which is a shame since they ride very neatly. It may not be a bad idea to imvest in some slime for your inner tubes to add some puncture protection if you have the wire-beaded ones like I did.

In my humble opinion, they are not the first choice commuter tyre since there are issues about punctures but if you are OK with this, you should not miss out on some good value solid all-weather performers.

Purchased At:   A bike store in Paris, France

Similar Products Used:   Continental Grand Prix MTB, Specialized Fat Boy

Bike Setup:   52T single Tiagra crankset with single LX shifter. Deore rear derailleur/LX cassette. X221s with Deore V's. Specialized rigid cro-mo fork. Conti Grand Prix 26 x 1. Claude Butler 7005 w/Cane Creek integrated h/set. Deda Nero stem.

Submitted by Ron from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2003

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance, great traction, cool tread pattern

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
    I didnt need new tired, but I decided to put my old slicks on my campus bike instead of buying new tires for it so I could buy new tires for my nicer bike. I liked these because they have a nice smooth tread on the center, but have a little more knobs on the sides for those brief ventures into the gravel. As for all the people having trouble installing these on the rim, you arent doing it right. I did not have to use my tire levers, they were a bit tough, but I did it bare handed. Anyways, this is a great tire for anybody who doesnt ride offroad as is any other slick tire.

Submitted by Keith from Bainbridge, WA

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2002

Strengths:    Reasonably price from LBS.
    Very Fast.
    Wears well at 3000+ commuting miles.

Weaknesses:    The worst tire to install and remove. 5 star tire lever breaker.
    Poor handling in wet rainy pacific Northwest
    Semi-slick picks up plenty of flats. Gets a flat every month.

Bottom Line:
    Picks up plenty of flats from thorns and broken glass, probably because it has more contact with the ground compared to knobby tires.
    Impossible to install and remove from rim. Break 1-2 plastic tire lever(s) every other time, so keep a good stockpile of levers and tires.
    Not very good with in wet rainy pacific Northwest - emergency stops in traffic not recommended without a good helmut and health insurance.
    Time to retire tires after last inspection - lots of threads left but too many puncture lacerations to ride safely.

Similar Products Used:   Michelin Comp, Jet S, Kenda

Bike Setup:   Klein pinnacle

Submitted by Ian Thomas a Weekend Warrior from Cambridge, UK

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2002

Strengths:    Can run at nice high psi with no problems. Good tyre for those of you with the cash and no wish to go totally slick.

Weaknesses:    The very devil to fit onto the rims. Required three pairs of very strong, large hands to get them on the first time. Tendency to roll back up into its little ball when off the bike. Pricey for a tyre at $85AUD

Bottom Line:
    These tyres gave me very little problems once they were on the bike, and I suppose this is because I, like many others out there, take my tyres mostly for granted. The problems only began when I hit a large roofing tile on the road at an odd angle, which caused it to fly off and tear out the sidewall, causing an instant flat. Once off the bike the Wild Grippers are, to put it plainly, a nuisance, and if you can get them off without a lot of swearing then you're doing well.

That said, tyres should only be really good at holding the road, and I have no complaints in that area.

Buy them if you are sure you'll never need to mend a flat sitting by the side of the road in the cold and dark working by the light of your front headlight and you'd like to get the tyre off in less than ten minutes, with tyre levers intact.

Purchased At:   Bike Culture, Canberra

Similar Products Used:   Hutchie Top Slick, IRC Metro

Bike Setup:   '89 GT Avalanche

Submitted by Iguana Bwana a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2002

Strengths:    - do what they're designed to do well
    - reasonably priced
    - Michelin quality product
    - above average handling in the wet

Weaknesses:    - small objects/stones lodge easily in sipes

Bottom Line:
    Michelin's Wildgripper City is an amenably priced excellent urban runabout tyre for MTB rims.

If you're after an tyre predominently for urban bitumen & bike path work with the ability to comfortably transit grass, loose bluemetal & firetrails when you must, Michelin's Wildgripper City is it.

Without the limitations of an out and out slick, the City offers relatively low rolling resistance and is quiet compared to your average noisy MTB knobby tyre. eg: Maxxis Wormdrives or Wildgripper Comps.

Handles well, especially on wet bitumen, debri strewn or loose sand covered paths. Braking stability and grip is first rate. Although not offering quite the lowered frictional coefficient of a set of Top Slicks or Axial BI-Sport 700x23Cs, those with realistic expectations will appreciate their comparitive speed & suitability for urban riding. Perfectly suited to their design intent, I'd buy them without hesitation for that purpose again.
    Done 1500km on them so far without a puncture. From wear indications, much of which has been imposed at cruise speeds of 25-30kph average, longevity should be good.

Only criticism I'd level at them is their susceptibility to pick up small stones which lodge in the sipes subsequently generating noise with each rotation until you stop and physically dislodge the offending object with a stick or screwdriver. An audible annoyance rather than a performance or reliability one.

Comments above relate to the wire bead 1.5" version.

Favorite Trail:   local

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Wormdrives, Michelin Wildgripper Comps, Hutchinson Top Slicks, IRC Metros.

Bike Setup:   Giant Iguana

Submitted by Carl Brewer a Racer from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2002

Strengths:    For a MTB tyre, good rolling resistance. I did a tour on a Trek 4700 with loaded panniers over some pretty lumpy dirt roads with these tyres and they survived well, even handled
    some downhill on blue metal without major dramas. Haven't had a puncture yet.

btw, those reviwers talking about tread, tread on road tyres is useless. Road tyres don't aquaplane, you don't need tread, it just increases rolling resistance for the questionable gain of making the ignorant feel safer in the wet. The tread on cycle tyres is only useful on loose surfaces where you
    need lots of edges to bite into dirt/mud/gravel. So
    why do the tyre manufacturers sell treaded road tyres? Marketing wins over engineering.

Weaknesses:    In Oz, they're expensive. No weaknesses yet that I've found.
    I'm 95-100kg (~210-220 lb) and loaded with another 20kg on a packrack these were good. The reviewers whinging about
    feeling bumps probably need to ride a roadbike for a while to get their heads sorted out!

Bottom Line:
    I like 'em for rail trails and potting around, which is what 95% of riding on MTB's is ;)

I'd rate them higher if I only rode MTB's. They don't
    roll like a roady tyre :)

Favorite Trail:   Old Healsville Rd

Similar Products Used:   I've got a set of Bontrager Jones AC's for when I go
    offroad.
    Michelin Ironman (roady)
    Michelin Axial Kevlar (roady)
    Vitoria Rubino Kevlar (roady)

Bike Setup:   Stock Trek 4700, rack, panniers, lights, cateye Enduro 2

Submitted by Adam a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2002

Strengths:    nice tread pattern, high pressure, fast

Weaknesses:    The sidewall split... literally disintegrated so that the inner tube bubbled out of it in a few places. I had to take 1/2 the pressure out of the tire to get home without it bursting. These tires had less than 200 miles on them. DONT BUY THEM! This is the second Michelin (the other was the WildGripper) I have had sidewall disintegration issues with (NO it's NOT my brakes rubbing the tire).

Bottom Line:
    DONT BUY THESE TIRES! They will not last!

Purchased At:   Can't Remember

Similar Products Used:   no other slicks

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F800 MTB, bought a second set of wheels for the slicks.

Submitted by Mark McCarthy a Cross Country Rider from Howell, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2002

Strengths:    Good value for the money.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't absorb bumps for heavier riders when inflated to maximum pressure; more rolling resistance than one would expect for a 26x1.5 tire with a max psi of 80.

Bottom Line:
    These tires are ok if you're under 200#. I'm 245-250#. Since they're narrower and have a lower aspect ratio, they don't provide as much cushioning when you hit bumps. Not only do the bumps get transmitted to you, the rider, they tweak the rims too. I've had a lot of bent rims using this tire. It's not suitable for heavier riders, nor would I deem it suitable riding rough pavement regularly.

My recommendation is this: if you have an MTB or comfort bike, weigh less than 200#, and do all your riding on the street, these tires are fine. If you're a bigger rider like me, get something else. Get Michelin's Wild Gripper Rock tires instead. I've used these too, and they're great! They rock on pavement and hardpack; have low rollling resistance; and they absorb bumps a lot better. The Wild Gripper Rock will do everything this tire does, and it'll do it better-especially if you're over 200# and/or ride on rough pavement a lot.

I would also recommend the Continental Town & Country tires. I know of at least two local police departments (Seaside & Lakewood, NJ) that use the T & C on their patrol bikes; that'll beat up any tire! I have Contis on my MTB. While I use the Country (same as the T & C with an all-terrain tread) and not the T & C, I would still recommend the T & C. My Contis have LOWER rolling resistance than the Wild Gripper City-in spite of being bigger, heavier, lower psi, and on/off road tread! I can only imagine what the T & C tires are like, since they're optimized for MTBs on pavement...

In closing, the Wild Gripper City isn't the best choice for a road-going MTB tire. If you're under 200#, I think that this tire would be ok. It's also cheap; they're $10 @ Glendola Bikes. If you're over 200# and/or inflate it close to its maximum psi, forget it; you're in for a lot of rough rides and bent rims. You're better off with Michelin's Wild Gripper Rock or the Continental Town & Country. Both tires will do the things this tire does and more. I have the City on my SC-40, and I'll be changing to the Wild Gripper Rock soon.

Favorite Trail:   Delaware & Raritan Canal