Michelin Wild Grip'R 2 Tire

1.75/5 (4 Reviews)

Get big air volume and tubeless compatibility in a folding tire that wont break the gram scale. The Michelin Wild Grip'r is a fast rolling tire that does not sacrafice grip. Multipurpose tread pattern for varying terrain ...

Submitted by Top Fuel a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2014

Strengths:    Nothing

Weaknesses:    Grip on wet rocks

Bottom Line:
Horrible tire, the worst I've ever used. In the mud the rear tire has little traction, the front tire is little better but the worst situation is on wet rocks, it's like going on the soap, is difficult to go straight, and the risk of falling is very high. 60 € wasted. No more Michelin tires.
Excuse me for my poor english. :)

Favorite Trail:   Italian Alps

Purchased At:   bike shop

Bike Setup:   Torpado Wisconsin 4US full bike

Submitted by Rean Evangelista a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2014

Strengths:    Weight

Weaknesses:    Side knobs and others

Bottom Line:
The worst tire I have ever used. When I bought I was really excited about their weight. However, the becam a nightmare. Used tubeless and had them ripped because of their thin wall. After that I have used it with tubes and have also tons of flats.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Nomad C

Submitted by Hugh

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2013

Strengths:    Price , weight , tubeless ready, ease of set up tubeless, grip

Weaknesses:    Side knobs

Bottom Line:
Bought these from CRC on sale at £20 as I needed some winter tyres. I set them up tubeless on standard rims, they went up first time no air loss or issues at all in set up, very surprising. Out on my local trails which are loamy woods or muddy/sandy tracks they have performed superbly. Grip is great generally , the only weakness there was a front wheel drift in a tight corner but it hooked up again quickly. The tyres roll really well for such an aggressive tread pattern , the side knobs are a little bit too flexy in my opinion but not game changingly so. Overall I think it will be a good all round tyre for general xc duties in winter/autumn . Using on a 29er 2.25 front 2.1 rear.

Submitted by Michael a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2013

Strengths:    Very light
Tubeless ready, did hold air

Weaknesses:    Side knobbies are very tall, too tall, they flex a lot when turning
Side knobs make horrible flex noise when going off camber on stone
Tire drifts about 3" then grabs when leaning hard, a bit scary

Bottom Line:
I purchase due to new technology of rubber and design, also super light front tire.
But after 1 ride I had to take it off.
On my ussual trail, the front tire drifted almost 3" then grabbed in low fast turns.
Also the tall side knobbies flex alot and make a lot of noise when off camber on rocky section.
Firt time the side knobs made noise due to flexing over a off camber rocking section and slide as i was turning I thought I had a blow out and all my friends behind me heard the weird flex noise and thought I was going down.

So due to safety, I removed and put on my trusty Navagel which is much heavier but only drifts 3/4" of an inch in the same trail turns and does not make flex knobby noises. So I have more confidence when riding at such high speed turns low angle turns.

I gave up lightness to get my grip and confidence in turning back.
The sidewall on this tire are soo thin that I knew my back tire was going to have an issue at some point. That in anohter review of the Wild Racer Advance.

Purchased At:   amazon