Michelin Jet S Tire

3.92/5 (38 Reviews)

The Michelin Jet S features silicium-compoundTread for low rolling resistance and mud shedding. Fast, supple 127TPI casing Folding bead 340 grams

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from Lansing, Michigan

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight, low rolling resistance, grip on hardpack and sand

Weaknesses:    Grip in mud

Bottom Line:
These are great tires for everything other than mud. I never had any problem with these on hardpack from dry to damp, and these are amazing on sand. They are very grippy and they inspire a lot of confidence on sand, but beware of mud!

I rode on of these on the front on a drenched, torn up, and extremely muddy trail in a race (a mistake on my part, we were told that the trails were in good condition), and they were no better than slicks. They had no grip at all, whether it was on the straights or in the corners. I wiped out twice within a mile of riding, both on very broad corners that a proper mud tire would have gripped through. On the second wipe out, my front tire just shot out without any warning of losing grip, and I ended up breaking my leg because of the fall.

In short, use these tires for pretty much anything other than mud. They grip great for hardpack and sand especially, but they are downright dangerous when things get slippery.

Favorite Trail:   Poto

Purchased At:   borrowed from a shop owner

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Jones XR, Kenda Klaw, Kenda Klimax Lite

Bike Setup:   Fisher Piranha 1x9

Submitted by Diggs a Cross Country Rider from Iowa

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2006

Strengths:    Fast fast fast, very versatile. Floats through sand. Green tread never wears out.

Weaknesses:    Mud

Bottom Line:
I have a set with nearly a thousand miles on them. Yes, nearly a thousand offroad miles. In dry to damp conditions, these are awesome. They hook up amazingly well for the minimal tread. With use they get a fatter, rounder profile. They are amazingly supple, but require high air pressure to ride correctly. They have such a soft sidewall that anything less than 50psi causes the sidewalls to fold. Reviews about flats and pinch flats are idiots who don't know how to inflate a tire properly. I use mine religiously with tire liners and I have about one flat per year, and I ride in a wooded areas with three inch thorns everywhere. I've raced these several times in the Iceman and they rock on hard pack sand and float over loose, 6 inch deep sand. In fact, you can even spin these through deep loose sand on climbs. Its all about technique and using things as they were intended. Without a doubt this is the tire I keep going back to. After four years of riding this tire, the tread is hardly worn. Michelin changed the name of the tire, its no longer the Jet S, its on their website though. Not sure if the new all black version still has the Silicium compound. As far as climbing, if the trail is dry, these things climb over roots and rocks like a billy goat. 5 flaming turds for these, and I rate them as the best tire I've ever had the pleasure of owning. As the sidewalls are very thin fabric, I'd avoid them if you ride through rock gardens all the time. On dirt, they are without a doubt the fastest. Oh, and they are nearly as fast as a full slick on pavement.

Favorite Trail:   Iceman-Vasa

Similar Products Used:   Mythos XC slick

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mtn. Thin Air. XTR

Submitted by Nick P a Racer from Austin Texas

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2005

Strengths:    decent grip for an intermediate tire, good traction and low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    WEAK, incredibly weak -- will get you flats day in and day out

Bottom Line:
This is advertised as a race tire for dry rocky terrain, and supposedly good resistance to punctures. Well, this is just NOT TRUE. Pinch flats are terrible with this tire. I've had at least for the last couple of races I've done, yesterday a rock cut the sidewall open, I replaced the tube and got back on track but 30 mins later in the race, I pinch flatted again.

Probably good for non technical trail, near road-like tracks. Make sure you put at least 35-40 psi into the tire or you are almost guaranteed to have problems.

Favorite Trail:   Emma Long City Park, Kelly Creek Trail

Purchased At:   Local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Most other tire brands

Bike Setup:   Hardtail Gary Fisher Kaitai

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Temecula

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2005

Strengths:    You will become a faster tube changer and patchmaster, they do roll good

Weaknesses:    it punctures when you look at it hard. it does not run true on any of my wheels I get flats from gravel.

Bottom Line:
I bought these tires to ride on flat hardpack trail, thats a no there, I had a flat on every ride. After that I used them for road riding only well in one month road riding only I had about 20 flats, this tire is a real joke. And please don't say For Racing only, like people can really have flats there. The worst tire ever. Well I got a new set of schwalbe tires in the mail, they have a kevlar belt like the Michelin should have.

Favorite Trail:   last one

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   conti town and country great but heavy

Bike Setup:   schwinn homegrown comp

Submitted by SuperSlinky a Cross Country Rider from The Rust Belt

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2005

Strengths:    Jack of all trades. A credible road and off-road tire. Lightweight, Michelin quality. Surprising long life considering the thin rubber.

Weaknesses:    Master of none. It would be hard to say if this tire excels at any one thing, maybe hard pack single track, which is what you find most around here. Poor puncture resistance, especially with the tubeless version.

Bottom Line:
This is my favorite tire, warts and all. I like to take my MTB on the road sometimes, and this tire makes my Titus a fiendishly good road bike. I avoid muddy trails, which is certainly this tire's weakest point. Punture resistance is dismal. The tubeless version especially will puncture with a dirty look. That is what prevents me from giving it the highest rating. Looks like they are out of production now, so it looks like I will have to find a new favorite tire.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Too many to list

Bike Setup:   Titus Loco-Moto, Fox Vanilla, Hope/Mavic wheelset, etc.

Submitted by Bonjing a Weekend Warrior from Manila, Philippines

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2004

Strengths:    VERY LIGHT! Easy on the pedalling

Weaknesses:    Prone to puncture by just a staple wire. Had to punctures, one is a staple wire and one is a small sliver of glass.

Bottom Line:
Even though I had two punctures successively, I still would buy this tires. They're very light and easy on the legs when pedalling. Great for qucik acceleration, including uphill (as long as the legs can take it). High speed cornering on asphalt/concrete roads is a breeze and you can feel that you still can control the bike.

Bike Setup:   GTS M5 Frame, Avid Mechanical Discs with Speed Dial 5 Levers, SRAM Cassettes, Mixed Deore/XT Group

Submitted by urban lauski a Cross Country Rider from London, UK

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2004

Strengths:    Light, does what it was designed to do and very well.

Weaknesses:    Expensive.

Bottom Line:
Tyres are sooooooooooo subjective and the 'right' tyre for everyone does not exist. Dial in factors like the conditions you are riding in, your weight, the pressures you run, your rims, your riding style... it's a headache.

If you're like me - XC hardpack, 120lbs and doesn't mind if the front end gets a bit squirelly occasionally - give these serious thought. Most of us are quite adept at changing tubes and 4 punctures last year seems reasonable enough. These things HATE glass shards - but they're easy to mount. When it's muddy, out come the Panaracers - no big deal.

Not the safest but certainly the fastest rubber you can get for dry XC hardpack.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on

Bike Setup:   Marin 'Peak

Submitted by Andrei Lena a Cross Country Rider from Canberra, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2004

Strengths:    Only good for bitumen

Weaknesses:    Just a crap tyre. Crap tyre wall, crap tread, crap width, crap colour (green), not puncture resistent at all, really hard to fit, absolutely useless off road - you might as well be riding on full slicks, does not counter-steer well.

Bottom Line:
I hate this tyre. I call it names when I ride on it. This tyre is afraid of anything soft and bumpy. It is practically useless off road. Did I mention how crap this tyre is? Well its crap!!! I only keep it because I paid like 60 Australian dollars for it, and because it is ok on bitumen. I keep hoping that Jesus Christ can redeem this tyre. It is so crap. I have had so many pinch flats on it. I really regret buying it. Now - I am going off to have a cry!!

Favorite Trail:   cross country

Purchased At:   Canberra

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Kinetics, Hutchinsons, Michelin Wild gripper Front S, Maxxis High Rollers, Maxxis Minion, Specialized Rocksters.

Bike Setup:   Specialized hard rock frame, LX drive train, Psylo SL fork, Velocity cilff hanger rims, Maxxis tyres.etc..

Submitted by Penguin On Prozac a Cross Country Rider from leicestershire, eng

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2004

Strengths:    Very fast (the 1.6in v), high roll resitance, handle very good on hardpack. Michilen always dominate tyre sports don't they, and they also look minted with their green rubber and black side walls.

Weaknesses:    knowing michelin might cease producing these

Bottom Line:
If you want a great harpack for summer use then get these puppies, theyre not designed for heavy winter mud as the tread is not nobbly. I have the 1.6 inch width which makes them fast tyers on tarmac, so theyre ideal for the commuter who also likes to go off road from time to time. Im impressed by the handling in the wet, at first i was hesitant because they have low profile tread, but its ok. They also stop well, as the rubber is very stick & grippy. I got them very cheap at just £26 uk sterlings a pair , so i give them 5/5 for value, i hav'nt had them long enough to know durabilty but i give um 4/5 (5\5 on dry hardpack) for perfomance since they 're better off the bike in the muddy British winter months. Oh yeah.. lock the wheels up if you park in town... that nice green draws attention to people that they're nice miche's. :P

Favorite Trail:   cannock chase or die

Purchased At:   www.allterraincycles.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   wildgripper in white, panaracer smoke / dart

Bike Setup:   easton elite ultralite, deore lx trans, avid sd .2.1, flite, fsa orbit uf, mavic x517 and these miche's

Submitted by Jase a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2003

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance. Great on hardpack.

Weaknesses:    Hairy on the wet stuff.

Bottom Line:
I got this tire for the front wheel for its low rolling resistance and the fact that a lot of my riding is done on tarmac and hardpack.

This tire works great for its intended purpose, which is hardpack. But when it rains a little and you're in the rough, it doesn't really provide much confidence for those hairy switchbacks in the more downward direction.

When I take it on the trail nearby which has sharp rocks, roots and ruts, so far, i've managed to blow the tire more than I would like. This could be due to the low pressure I run (35psi) or the fact that the sidewalls aren't the greatest.

It is however great on hardpack, which is its intended purpose, so if you ride a lot of smooth rolling hardpack trails it will work great. So considering they work great for what they're made for and not so great for what they're not made for(and considering the fact that i shouldn't be using them for what they're not made for.), 4 chillis here.

Found them a bit steep in the financial departement. 3 chillis

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Mt Baldys, Michelin comp24.1, Michelin CompS Lights

Submitted by Jan Mertens a Cross Country Rider from Asse, Belgium

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2003

Strengths:    Very fast, good grip for a semi slick, good cornering, easy to place and to repair, a lot of fun...

Weaknesses:    punctures easy, stay concentrated in turns on loose surfaces, do not use in mud or wet stones & roots (but do not forget that it`s not designed for it)

Bottom Line:
The perfect tire where for it`s designed, the best semi slick you can find

Favorite Trail:   Mount Parnitha, Greece

Purchased At:   magazine

Similar Products Used:   IRC, Ritchey, Hutchinson

Bike Setup:   gary fisher suger 2+

Submitted by Ma ge si from Shanghai

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2003

Strengths:    Fast rolling, light weight, good on hardpack and no problems on sharp rocks. Tread holds up pretty well for looking so thin.

Weaknesses:    lousy in gravel, slides as outer lugs are to small, forget about any little bit of mud.

Bottom Line:
No side wall bollocks. Surprising on sharp rocky sections, only 1 flat till now, as lots of trails are paved with former houses (China countryside). Slides in gravel even in straight line. Great for hardpack or road, nice speed. Not for slippery stuff.

Purchased At:   Flying Ball HK

Bike Setup:   26 x 1.6 version, F800 Lefty, Easton E70, Sella Prolink Gel, X317 mavics, avid mech disc.

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Austin

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2003

Strengths:    Durability, longevity, rolling resistance, & ride.

Weaknesses:    Cost. But then again every $20-35 tire I've prucahsed has lasted around six months before meeting its maker. Little too much lateral roll in the sidewalls while cornering.

Bottom Line:
I must have 1500 miles on these guys now consisting of hardpack (mostly limestone and a pinch of dirt) and daily road use. I am genuinely amazed at by their treadlife. The rolling resistance is great for asphalt, but they still afford a reasonable amount of purchase on slippery-ass limestone trails. Aside from a twig that managed to impail itself through the original rear tire (how the hell it happened I have no idea), I am complaint-free. I've recommended these tires to friends seeking a good commuter tire, and they've had similar positive feedback. I would without question continue purchasing the Jet S. Matter of fact, just ordered some for a new cyclocross bike.

Purchased At:   Local shop