Michelin Hot S Tire

3.59/5 (97 Reviews)
Weight : 630 g MSRP : $43.99

The Michelin HotTires feature Michelins XTreamTread pattern makingThem ideal for anyone who likes high volume All Mountain, Downhill, and FreerideTires. XTremTread pattern makes an all-purposeTire for Mountain Cross, DH and Freeride 33TPI casing for durability Tire Bead: Steel ISO Diameter: 559 ISO Width: 64 mm TireType: Clincher Tire Diameter: 26" Published Weight: 975 g PSI: 29-58 PSI

Submitted by Old Geezer a Cross Country Rider from Chattanooga, Tennessee

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2011

Strengths:    Light weight (for my use), Corners well. Outside the sidewall issue mentined below I loved this tire.

Weaknesses:    Side wall! Just too thin.

Bottom Line:
I loved the tire for it's usage in Tennessee/North Carolina region. A lot of small gravel, leaves, pine needles and some good tight corners. Once the trails get wet the clay is almost greasy. For these conditions I loved the tread pattern. It hooked nicely and I never noticed any weight or rolling resistance issues. What has me crying is the sidewall. One sharp stick or thorn and I'm pushing my bike back to the trailhead. Even with a patch on the tire itself I can see a bulge at the hole site that makes me cringe. Note this is a puncture hole not a large tear or cut I'm working on. This is the second sidewall issue I have come across with Michelin tires. Bottom line, I was really excited about this tire. It out performed my Nevegal in every way. As it is I would have a real hard time recomending any Michelin tire just on sidewall issues alone. As value goes I got a good price out of ebay as an over all tire I would knock it down again on sidewall being too thin.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer and Kendas

Bike Setup:   Chumba VF-2, Full XTR with Spinergy wheels

Submitted by Cainam a Weekend Warrior from Bremerton, WA

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2010

Strengths:    Looks, the 2.5" size is a VERY good tire for soft dirt, and works well on hard pack, roots, grass/underbrush, anything realy.

Weaknesses:    The 2.2" tire is almost dangerous on hard pack or street.

Bottom Line:
These were made in 2 different widths - 2.2" and 2.5", and the difference is huge. I've run the 2.5" tires for years, with no problems. They run realy well on the soft, moist dirt in the northwest. I've taken my bike to California, and run in the harder, dry hard pack, and they did fairly well there, too. No longer made in red, unfortunately.

The difference between the 2.2" and the 2.5 is the outside row of knobs. On the 2.5, the outside row and the next row in are staggered, which doesn't allow that much flex when leaning over in a turn. The 2.2" tire has the outside row of knobs in a straight line, and if you try to turn hard on hard pack or street, the thing squirms all over the place. Not good. In soft dirt, the tire digs a row like a plough. They work OK in medium dirt, but not even that well.

Rating below is for the 2.5" tire. Stay away from the 2.2" size.

Favorite Trail:   Green Mountain

Purchased At:   fleabay

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis, Kenda, anything that holds air for 5 minutes. . .

Bike Setup:   Kona Stuff, Marzocchi forks, homebuilt wheels, XT pieces. . . for today at least. Check back tomorrow for updates. . .

Submitted by MrDuck a Downhiller from Czech Republic

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2010

Strengths:    Sticks to just about anything, never got a snake bite even at very low pressure hitting the edges of jumps nor on rocky downhills, only once punctired by a hard pike

Overall it just holds me where i want, no matter what conditions

Weaknesses:    Weight, since it's my first 2,5" tire with a wire bead, it's over 1000g

Seems a little unsure on a very dry dirt, still sticks enough to not let me down however

Bottom Line:
Once i wear them, I'm pretty sure I'll buy another pair, I don't have too much comparisons with other heavy duty tires, but this 2,5" wide HOT S just works great on our local freeride trails. I've basically never had a flat (only once found the tire a bit mild after a day, found out there was some pretty nasty wooden pike stuck in), yet i can run it at very low pressure, still had no snake bites even though i felt i was hitting the rim on some landings. It sticks great in all conditions, though it seems wet suits it better than completely dried hard dirt.

Favorite Trail:   a long fast one down the hill

Similar Products Used:   Only XC tires (Schwalbe Smart Sam, Kenda Karma)

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hardrock 06, Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 2 06, Front brake SLX with 203mm disc, rear Hayes MX with 185mm, SLX Cranks, Da bomb pedals, Remerx Jumbo rims

Submitted by StarskyDawg a Weekend Warrior from Newcastle, England

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2009

Strengths:    Brilliant climber, hooks up well on tight berms and is stable at both low & high speed. A good UK trailcentre tyre.

Weaknesses:    THE DAMN SIDEWALLS... 3 months or so normal riding, no stacks, minimal rock rubbing and HEY PRESTO - the sidewall starts to wear out. Why has this never really happened on any other tyres of mine! Then funnily enough, a slight contact with a rock and BANG, the sidewall splits and ends my ride... a long way from home. Oh and the tread wears out fairly quickly too.

Bottom Line:
If Michelin sorted out the weakest sidewall in history, then I would consider forking out for another set of these tyres, as they roll well, corner well and climb well. They should be the perfect UK trailcentre tyre as they handle dolomite, sand, hardpack, fireroad stone and wet clag well.
But the longevity issues cripple their rating. Buy IF you don't have cash issues, DONT buy if you like a tyre to last a whole season... RIDE IT, LOVE IT, LIVE IT....

Favorite Trail:   Glentress, Scotland

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegal 2.35 Sticke-e, Conti Slash 2.3, Panaracer Fire XCPRO's, Tioga Factory 2.2 DH's, etc etc etc etc

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign2 with Avid Elixir's, Raceface Diabolus bar and 110mm stem. Now running Nevegal's f & r.

Submitted by Darrel a Weekend Warrior from Edmonton, AB

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2008

Strengths:    These tires are amazing!!! They grip really well all around and the colour is the best part of all.

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of

Bottom Line:
For buyers and the guys that are complaining about weak sidewalls. Ever since these tires, I've never gotten a single pinch-flat like I did with previous tires. Maybe you guys should check your air pressure.

Favorite Trail:   Suicide Labrynth

Purchased At:   USA

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Small Block 8, Maxxis Swamp Thing, Kenda Kenetics

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Jackal, Rock Shox Argyle 409, Sram X-0 drivetrain, etc...

Submitted by Ryan a Weekend Warrior from Cranbrook

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2007

Strengths:    Awesome colour, great traction in wet and muddy conditions.

Bottom Line:
Love these tires. Awesome for climbing dirt and rock and wicked for going back down, awesome traction. I dunno whats wrong with people, the sidewalls havn't failed me.

Purchased At:   Pinkbike

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Kinetics

Submitted by john a Racer from bflo, ny, usa

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2007

Strengths:    cool colour, durable, my tyre is going on it's second year of competition, works great in wet, technical climbs, isn't that heavy, sheds mud pretty good, made me a faster rider. you have to love the simplicity of a tubed tyre.

Weaknesses:    it might run a little narrow.

Bottom Line:
a great tyre. it's harder to come by but i wanted to help set the record straight about the virtues of this tyre.

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   all kinds of different tyres from about 1998 on.

Bike Setup:   french made hot s in the rear. 2.2". red. asian made michelin C4 latex tube. mavic crossmax enduro rim strip. presently being run with the pressure at 2 bar.

Submitted by Derek a Cross Country Rider from Bellingham, WA, usa

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2007

Strengths:    Long wearing, best-of-all-mudder tread, fluffy size, handling, red color. Just Everything about the tread for an aggressive xc mountain tire.

Weaknesses:    I've figured out what the S in Hot S stands for! SH!T SIDEWALLS! This is the second Michelin to bankrupt on me prematurely due to sidewall failure, and the only brand to have ever done so.

Bottom Line:
I LOVE Michelin tires. They are the best for traction and handling in wet, muddy conditions and have a great feel, look and affordability.
But, for gordsake STRENGTHEN THE DAMN SIDEWALLS ALREADY! I will not buy another Michelin until I read five flaming turd reviews here on a regular basis. I hate seeing such waste of potential as found in these holes.
I'm giving these a very poor rating only because I hope it grabs Michelin's attention. I know I'm not alone here.

Favorite Trail:   pnw

Purchased At:   Wonderful LBS

Similar Products Used:   Several from just about every manufacturer.

Bike Setup:   Kona Caldera. Michelin Wildgripper tubeless front--another one that failed me when I'd ridden the same in the rear in the past. Keeping my eye on it.

Submitted by Mike C a Cross Country Rider from Denville, NJ - USA

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2006

Strengths:    Traction, size, tread design, cornering ability

Weaknesses:    SIDEWALL

Bottom Line:
I had two sets for the last two years so I figured that was enough time to evaluate the tires. Great dependable traction on climbs and in turns however the New Jersey rocky terrain tears up the sidewalls. First the threads show, then a bubble, then you're all of a sudden looking at the tube popping out. Last ride a power bar wrapper jammed in there saved my ride. I have a set of Maxxis Hard Drives on the way so we'll see how they do.

Favorite Trail:   Ring-Way

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   WTB, Specialized, Panaracer Fire XC

Bike Setup:   Airborne Ti hardtail, Kona Kikapu Deluxe XT, Thomson, King, etc.

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from Kefar Saba , ISRAEL

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2006

Strengths:    beauty , grip , tracks down the soil in all conditions excellent , does not collect mud .

Weaknesses:    weak , side wall ruptured after 3 months only, of non-aggressive use of two-three rides a week.

Bottom Line:
Bad investment.
Wouldn't expect any tire to retire after three months only.
All the bids on the sidewalls just popped , until few of them got torn up completely, causing me a deep hole in the inner tube (which finished it's life cuz of it).

A very bad purchase.

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire XC PRO , IRC mythos XC , specialized Roll X pro , panaracer Dart

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper 2004 M4 frame, Manitou Black , Fox Propedal , Time atac , Full Sram X7 2007 driveterrain and gears.

Submitted by Aaron a Weekend Warrior from Rainier, OR

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2005

Strengths:    Durable tread, sheds mud well, nice volume, I got them for free!

Weaknesses:    Anything other than mud is suicidal! The tread will not stick to anything wet. If there are rocks and its wet, you might as well be riding on a slick. I don't expect it to stick to roots, but the fact that it won't stick to an abrasive rock like basalt is just puzzling. It really feels like someone put a layer of oil between the tires and the rocks when riding on them.

Bottom Line:
If...and only if you ride where it is muddy but there are no rocks (at least Basalt), then they're not bad. They're OK for hardpack, but there are way better tires for that (my favorite is the Larson TT). The tread is very durable and sheds mud like water off a duck's back. But I believe this leads to their dismal performance on wet rocks. Once rocks get wet, these tires feel like their rolling on a layer of oil. I mean its scary how bad they are! I got them as a free demo set from Michelin, so I can't complain too much about paying for them. But I wouldn't recommend them to anyone who rides in the Pacific NW.

Similar Products Used:   IRC Mythos, Maxxis Larson TT, WTB Velociraptors, WTB Weirwolfs

Bike Setup:   KHS Steel Hardtail, Rock Shox, SRAM X-9

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from memphis, tn USA

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2005

Strengths:    Awesome mud shedding abilities, great cornering, wide for more traction, good shock absorbtion, and pretty light weight

Weaknesses:    red compound is not at all good for road use, and will wear down quickly if used for that

Bottom Line:
I was caught in a surprise rain storm on the trail and these tires held up so well. I was far out, and the only way back was on the trail. In a matter of minutes the trail was flooded and my tires were about an inch in mud. These tires had such good grip it was amazing. The mud came off of them so easily. You could barley even see for all the rain, but my bike felt sold beneath me. People joke about the goofy red color, but it is funny to see them trying to pedal when their tires are caked in mud. I dont think you could buy a tire better than this if you looked.

Favorite Trail:   Tour de Wolf

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Specialized tires, and panaracer (which is great also)

Bike Setup:   Specialized with cusom build.

Submitted by Everyday Rider from Upland, CA USA

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2005

Strengths:    Tire bites nicely until the side blows out.

Weaknesses:    Sidewall blew out after 6 to 8 weeks of riding. Tire showed very little sign of wear otherwise.

Bottom Line:
I ignored all the reviews that mentioned the weak sidewalls on these tires. I thought, 'Who in the heck blows out sidewalls?' Silly me. I have never had a sidewall issue with a tire in over a decade of riding. Until now. My Michelin Hot S blew out while I was riding alone at dusk several miles into my favorite single track, leaving me barely able to limp home in the dark. Use this tire only if you carry a spare when you ride.

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Trek Control Track, Continental Cross Country, WTB Weirwolf, Panaracer Fire XC.

Bike Setup:   Trek carbon hardtail w/ xtr/xt

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Somerset,UK

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2005

Strengths:    Grippy Compound
Cornering Performance
Braking/climbing traction
Reasonable rolling resistance
Dry/medium weather performance

Weaknesses:    Slightly high price... tho bargains can be found.

Bottom Line:
Ok... Let's set the record straight.
These tyres now have improved sidewalls which are thicker with a tougher nylon casing.They offer superb all-round hardcore trail performance,which is not suprising because they are a lighter slighter higher rubber duro version of Michelin's tried and tested Comp 24 tyre.DO NOT LISTEN to people jumping on the "Rubbish Sidewall" bandwagon.
If you're looking for a hucking tyre for 20 foot drops then choose a proper 1400 gram downhill tyre like everyone else does.Overall these tyres are an excellent choice for your hardcore trail bike.

Favorite Trail:   Quantocks-Smith's Combe