Michelin DH-Soft Tire

• 26 x 2.2 (54-559): 1100g

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Gaffer a Downhiller from Nannerch

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2006

Strengths:    Strong sidewalls, fast rolling when slightly worn, super grip on dry to moist gravel,soil and rock due to soft compound rubber.

Weaknesses:    Not too good in wetter conditions, side from on some rocky surfaces.

Bottom Line:
    I have have a few pairs of these tyres and ive enjoyed wearing them out completely. As a summer tyre they are excellent on drier mud/soil, grass, rock and gravel.

When they wear pretty low they turn into DH semi slicks which are super fast on fire tracks when inflated 50+ psi.

I have kept a pair now, purely for scaring myself on steep fire tracks in summer. Fast as you like.

Similar Products Used:   Michelin DH24 + DH16, IRC Kujo

Bike Setup:   Hardtail with 5" forks

Submitted by Spannerhead a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2002

Strengths:    Good grip, especially in braking. For mud and the soft stuff.

Weaknesses:    Not particularly good forward traction. (will obvioulsy depend on which way you face the scoop treads, to be good in braking it is clear that the drive will suffer).

Noticeably Worn after 1 ride.

Bottom Line:
    For DH Pros only.. Who know what terrain to use em on..

These tyres came free with some DH rims I wanted. It is not a tyre I would buy out of choice. You can tell it is going to be a very specific tyre and a fast wearer just by looking at it.

I think I may just slap one on the rear if I was entering a DH race like the last one I entered. Muddy/tufty moorland drop and golf course style jumps. Mud not too wet (washout!).

I would pack a Panaracer DH magic on the front and that would be ace for speeding down the steep slippy track.

Similar Products Used:   You name em, I've probably riden em.

Bike Setup:   KONA Stinky.

Submitted by Mick Procovich a Weekend Warrior from Saylorsburg, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2002

Strengths:    I bought these tires for spring mud riding in eastern PA. I'm very pleased with the traction and manners in the slop, roots, rocks, snow, ice, climbs and downhills.

Weaknesses:    Friggin' heavy. I got a pinch flat at the end of the very first ride, but I was running low air pressure. I'll take Tony Laibach's advice and pump them up more to see if they still have the traction necessary. If not, the Smoke goes on.

Bottom Line:
    I put my Michelin/Dart combo head to head in the mud, roots, ice, snow, and rocks against my friend with his Smoke/Dart combo which had one season on them. I felt I had a slight advantage only through the rocks and ice/snow where I had a 2.2 against his 2.1. All other areas we were pretty much even. For the eastern PA mud roots and rocks, this is a heavy, but good back tire. The jury is still out on the pinch flats. It takes some legs to trail ride with this tire, but I can't blame a DH tire in this area. I take a chili from the overall for the pinch flat on the first ride. My air pressure wasn't that low.

Don't buy this tire if you plan on road riding or ride dry hardpack. Keep it in the nasty stuff where it belongs.

Favorite Trail:   Not allowed to tell - best kept secret in eastern PA

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Recently: Panaracer, Pro Fire XC's, Smokes, Darts, and WTB Moto Rapture 2.0 which were horrible everywhere except mud so I took them off after the first ride.

In the past: Onza Race Porcupines, Farmer John, Cousin John, Smokes when they first came out, and Onza Dan 2.1.

Bike Setup:   2000 Giant XTC DS/2, Terry Fly Titanium, Avid disks, XT shifters/derailleurs, SRAM 69

Submitted by Chiripa a Weekend Warrior from Bogota, Colombia

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2001

Strengths:    Great all around grip. Good for technical descents/climbs. Cool for cornering too. Rubber is so sticky, you can tell the difference with any other tire. Of great help on controlled stoping.

Weaknesses:    It wears after 300 miles aprox (I weigh 158 lbs), but it's worth every buck. Hard to find down here.

Bottom Line:
    It rules.Great feeling when you wear your first one. It can actually improve your riding skills and confidence.

Favorite Trail:   El Armario, Sutamarchan

Purchased At:   Montaña & Cross

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson Coyote and Jumbo, MTB Velociraptors, Vittoria, Panaracers, other Wildgrippers,etc.

Bike Setup:   GT i-Drive '00 Modified Z5 Bomber, RS Deluxe, STX/XTR

Submitted by Doug a Downhiller from San Antonio, TX

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2001

Strengths:    Grip well, good braking

Weaknesses:    Wear too fast!!!, Pinch Flats!

Bottom Line:
    I have looked forward to riding these tires for some time and I was impressed with their grip right out of the box. However, I have been riding Specialized DH tires for some time and I have never had a flat, even at 20-30 psi in rough rock. I have only riden approx. 20 miles on these tires and I have had 4 flats and the rear tire is almost 70% gone. I think these tires are great for a single race run, but the economy racer like my self needs something that will hold a little longer. Plus these tires have a huge void in leaning the bike. This happens when the leaning the bike off the center knobs and on to the side knobs. The bike almost falls until it catches on the side knobs. It never turns over or washes out, but this can be hard to predict.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Fear Control, Tioga DH, Panaracer Fire DH, IRC

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Jekyll with Marzo. Jr. T up front, with Grameca Disc Brakes (Economy DH Rig)

Submitted by Nick Fenton a Downhiller from Clinton Connecticut

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2001

Strengths:    kung fu grip! no pinch flats, cheap!

Weaknesses:    wears faster then most

Bottom Line:
    great tire for all conditions. I use a Kenda 2.6 for the front for better sidewall grip teh knobs are more agresssive and this is the perfect set up for me

Favorite Trail:   Any one with rocks

Purchased At:   www.performacebike.com

Similar Products Used:   lots

Bike Setup:   Kenda 2.6 kolossal in teh front

Submitted by Theo a Downhiller from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2001

Strengths:    Grip sooo well!!! The amount of grip on these tires is amazing!! Compared to my Tioga's (which isnt much of a comparison) these things feel like you can drop the bike and still have grip..

Weaknesses:    They wear a bit quickly, but who cares? They're only designed for racing and not for going around the streets.. If you want a good street tire, get the Tioga or something.

Bottom Line:
    These tires are the best for my style of riding and weight. I weigh about 80 kilos (dunno what that is in lbs) and these tires are really good for me. They make me feel like the bike has so much more control than before. 10/10 for these tires.. Good job Michelin

Favorite Trail:   Mt Beauty, Victoria

Purchased At:   Le Tour Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Intense, Tioga, Kujo, Maxxis, Kenda, Hutchinson Squale and Jumbo, and lots of other ones that don't need to be mentioned

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR with all the downhill goodies on it

Submitted by John a Downhiller from Ontario

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2000

Strengths:    excellent under dry conditions,no pinchflats at low pressure

Weaknesses:    a little unpredictable in the wet, wear quickly

Bottom Line:
    These tires have been great so far. There a little unpredictable in the wet but then again what tire isn't?? They do seem to wear a little quickly though but all in all they're still a great tire.