Michelin DH Mud 2 Tire

Specially formulated for downhill racing in muddy conditions
  • All new tread design with staggered sharp tread blocks for increased contact area, better penetration in soft conditions and enhanced control.
  • Specially shaped directional knobs are reinforced to add stiffness, reduce tread squirm and improve traction.
  • Semi-soft rubber compound improves grip.
  • Reinforced casing & sidewalls.
  • Specially designed bead wires for secure hold on rim.
  • Compatible with NAGESTI/Rigida tubeless rim. An effective tire for both downhill and dual slalom.
  • Size: 26" x 2.2"

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Samsun a Cross Country Rider from Wales, UK

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2004

Strengths:    Actually really works in the mud like it says.

Weaknesses:    Tight fit, possibly rims though.

Bottom Line:
    This is a review for the DH 3. Price I paid is in £ so it is a reasonably priced tyre. I am curently using this as a front tyre. This is a very strong tyre, you only have to feel the thickness of the walls, yet they are not overly heavy. These grip like sh*t to a blanket in the mud and that is all you really need to know. I am not too sure about putting on the rear though as rolling resistance is not so noticable on the front.

Favorite Trail:   Local

Purchased At:   Don The Con

Similar Products Used:   Nokians, Halos, Intense, Panracers (poo).

Bike Setup:   Orange Patriot, Hope Mono M4s, Manitou.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from McMinnville, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2002

Strengths:    Work well in mud as the knobs are high and stiff and really bite yet clean. A good confidence builder in muddy conditions when all of my other tires (except GEAX blades) left me out of control and tense in the saddle due to lack of control on steep and muddy descents.

Weaknesses:    Wire bead is extremly tight and makes me think twice before I put them on. If the traction weren't so excellent in mud it would not be worth the effort. Just hope that you don't get a flat while on the trail. Also, please use these for what they were designed for--mud. If you ride these on pavement the traction is dubious at best. The knobs will also wear off quickly on pavement.

These tires provide a lot of rolling resistance but I thought that they would due to the size of the knobs. Howver, I bought them for control in the mud, not to be easy rolling. I like to increase my fitness when I ride anyway.

Bottom Line:
    This tire has provided me with the BEST traction that I have ever had in extremely muddy conditions. I live near the Oregon coast and we get rain here most of the winter so you need a good mud tire unless you place on staying on the highway. I went riding last weekend and went down steep hills without losing any flesh. These tires are excellent in mud but the tight wire beads will cause a little rise in blood pressure--also be prepared to lose some skin off your knuckles when trying to get that tight bead on. However, once you get them on be prepared for excellent traction!

5 Flamin' chilis due to excellent traction in the mud which is why I purchased these tires.

Favorite Trail:   Anything--just point me in the general direction

Purchased At:   Nashbar as closeout

Similar Products Used:   Too many to list...a tire grave-yard.

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000 upgraded to Hayes hydraulic disks

Submitted by vince radimant a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent climing capability over loose or heavy conditions. "Climbs like a goat."

Weaknesses:    I used this tire for the rear wheel, to specifically handle steep climbs and downhill.

Very difficult to install and remove.
    Very Unstable when cornering on loose or heavy conditions. Not designed to take corners.
    I wish it was alot wider and had knobs along the sides of the tire to handle corners.

Bottom Line:
    The trail I tested the tire on had a mix of terrain: logs, mud, leaves, dirt, branches, gravel. There were very FEW straight. The whole trail was more of an obstacle corse rather than cross country. Many steep hills and descents. This is where I was impressed. It climbs and descends very well.

Purchased At:   Local shop

Similar Products Used:   Michelins, Panaracers, IRC

Bike Setup:   DH

Submitted by Terry Hutt a Cross Country Rider from Running Springs, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2002

Strengths:    Cheap (closeout deal) and confident on soft sand and dirt

Weaknesses:    Tendency to slide into ruts. Very tight bead wire make installation and removal extremely difficult. They're too tight to change in the field. I had to cut the tires off because I broke three (count them - 3) tire levers. I replaced them with Tyranoraptors which I have no problems with.

Bottom Line:
    Not good value even at $8 each. The risk of being unable to fix a flat is just too great.

Similar Products Used:   Botranger race ready, velociraptors, tyranoraptors.

Bike Setup:   Sugar II stock with Botranger rims

Submitted by Guillaume a Weekend Warrior from Pincourt, Qc, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2002

Strengths:    soft rubber grips on any soft and loose surface. nothing grips more

Weaknesses:    they wear fast

Bottom Line:
    they rule on loose and soft ground, grip on anything. dont do any street cuz they wont last long

Favorite Trail:   bromont