Michelin DH Comp 32 Soft Tire

For DH racing in ALL conditions, extra large 2.8" volume
  • All new tread design.
  • Precise spacing of knobs maximizes grip & enhances high speed stability.
  • Scoop-shaped knobs increase traction.
  • New special soft rubber grips in extreme conditions.
  • Reinforced casing & sidewalls.
  • Specially designed bead wires for secure hold on rim.
  • Compatible with NAGESTI/Rigida tubeless rim. An effective tire for both downhill and dual slalom.
  • Size: 26" x 2.8"

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Jay Mac a Downhiller from The North Shore

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2006

Strengths:    Stiff sidewalls, magic rubber compound (Michelin does have the cash for R&D) big volume, traction,

Weaknesses:    outter knobs can detach (such as the 909 FRO)

Bottom Line:
    there is some (secret?) material in the compound that seems to just attract everthing it touches...big volume for N. Shore trails.

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   sports swap, nsmba swap,

Similar Products Used:   Arrow 26" 3.0<--biggest tire I've used 909 Fro

Bike Setup:   cortina, banshee, norco

Submitted by Grant a Weekend Warrior from La Crescenta, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2005

Strengths:    Lots of grip, it feels like it is on rails. Very thick casing, i doubt anything short of a nail will puncture it.

Weaknesses:    Tire is much smaller than advertised, the widest width that i could measure on it was 2.5 inches wide at the casing.

Bottom Line:
    So far this tire is kicking ass. I was hoping that it would be a little bigger than it is, its not quite as wide as a 2.7 maxxis highroller. The grip really is incredible, this tire goes through loose corners like it is on rails, very confidence inspiring. I don't really have an idea what the braking traction is like because i haven't had to slow down as much while running this beast. It is not a cheap tire, and it is not light, but if you want max. grip, this is the tire for you.

Favorite Trail:   Wilson shuttle run / redbox

Similar Products Used:   WTB timberwolf, WTB weirwolf

Bike Setup:   05' ironhorse yakuza kumicho, 04' marzocchi shiver full sram X9

Submitted by Kelly a Weekend Warrior from Upstate NY

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2005

Strengths:    Wow! Grip, grip, grip. Endless grip. Plattekill steep chute grip.

Weaknesses:    It is heavy, and, compared to the Nokian Jr. 2.6 it is really hard to pedal, but that is more than offset by the GRIP.

Bottom Line:
    Grip! Grip to the maximum.
    I've been running the Nokians for about 2 yrs on my hardtail Banshee Morphine (and MC San Andreas before that), and I really love 'em for every day tires to commute/drop/urban - they're not too heavy, can run low pressure, and they last for freakin' ever.
    Plattekill, however, demands that you come as well equipped as you can be, and even then sometimes it does not permit you to descend unbroken. So, given that I'm riding a 5/5 inch bike, I decided to get the very best dh tires for my 8-10 trips a year. I tried the Nokians, and, at the time, they were the best. Then I tried Intense 909/Intruder combo, at the suggestion of James at Go-Ride, and, though they are sticky, they are also the heaviest tires I've ever ridden by far (I think the 2.7 was like 1800 grams or something like that!), and they wore like butter. On the recommendation of the posters here, I tried the Michelins (won't fit on the rear of the Heckler without rubbing, so I've gone back to the Nokians for dry, and the Intense for wet weather there - when I took the Michelin off the back because it rubbed, I put on a new Nokian Jr. I'd brought, and the next run down in some sloppy stuff was like a night & day difference in control and handling from the Michelin).
    All I can say is that these are by far the best dh tires for steep, rocky, rooty, steep riding. By far.
    I guess this is kind of overkill for a stinkin' tire, and I try not to rave, but these are the very best in their class. They're expensive, but not much more than the Nokians (like $8.00 more), and they're priced similarly to the Intense. Like the ad says, "not sliding off the trail and running into trees . . . priceless".

Favorite Trail:   Shindagin, Plattekill

Purchased At:   Don't remember

Similar Products Used:   Nokian Jr. 2.6, Intense Intruder, Intense 909.

Bike Setup:   SC Heckler/5th coil, Z1FRSL up front, Azonic Outlaw wheels, bashguard, XT 8 speed, bars, etc. (kind of a schizo - can be run xc w/light wheels& tires, or to Plattekill with these tires & strong, wide wheels).

Submitted by Matt a Downhiller from Fort Collins Co

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2004

Strengths:    Incredible grip on nearly any surface! Does well in wet or dry and is great for that little bit of extra confidence. Has lasted longer than my old maxxis highroller and does not pedal much harder. I use my bike for a little of everything including pedalling up hill to get to the downhill spots. in all reality though it weighs a little more than a 2.7 Highroller it is not all that difficult to climb with it. Thick sidewalls!

Weaknesses:    So far none.

Bottom Line:
    Bolltom line is for the cash, there is not a more solid tire that I have put on any of my bikes. It steers light, wicked braking grip, and after about 20runs, not including the 7 mile xc route that has been ridden atleast 25 times, the tread has no chunking, no loss of feel, or anything negative that I have experienced with other tires. While it is a little heavy for everyday use, for its intended purpose it is worth every penny.

Favorite Trail:   Horsetooth mtn

Purchased At:   65.00

Similar Products Used:   maxxis Highroller 2.7, Kenda Navegal 2.5DH (great tire), Specialized evil twin roller 2.4

Bike Setup:   03 Yeti asx, monster t, mallet pedals, thomson post, dee max rims

Submitted by Bryan a Weekend Warrior from Sparwood, BC

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2004

Strengths:    Tons of traction for braking and cornering. Works really well as a front tire on my Big Hit. It is the biggest tire that fits on my Jr T fork! No noticeable wear after 6 months of riding. I've never got a pinch flat with this tire and downhill tubes. Extremely durable! The 2.8 width really helps me on long soft steep chutes because the tire won't dig in as easily as a smaller tire.

Weaknesses:    None. I recommend this product.

Bottom Line:
    This is an awesome tire. It did slow me down on the up hills though. I have no problems recommending this tire for a free rider or downhill racer.

Favorite Trail:   A-Line

Similar Products Used:   Gazza's Jr 2.6 and big hit stock specialized 2.5 tires. <-- The stock specialized tires didn't last very long.

Bike Setup:   Pimped Big Hit.

Submitted by Rusty from San Jose

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2004

Strengths:    grip for days, can run super low pressure without risk of pinch flat, huge!

Weaknesses:    who gives a frick about the weight

Bottom Line:
    stiffest sidewall I have ever felt. incredible grip, this is a downhill only tire, you've got to have some nads if you want to climb with this pig. over 3 lbs.! 10 flamin' poops all around!

Favorite Trail:   braille

Purchased At:   back of some dude's truck at northstar

Similar Products Used:   kujo?

Bike Setup:   karpiel dv, lots of cool shiny stuff

Submitted by Dan Smith a Weekend Warrior from Rochester

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2004

Strengths:    sticky and gripy

Weaknesses:    I hate fitting any comp tyre

Bottom Line:
    The best DH tyre I've ridden, gives you confidence.

I really think I'm quicker with these tyres but I could be imagining it!

Favorite Trail:   covert

Purchased At:   nwmtb

Similar Products Used:   Comp 16, 24, Tioga, Kujo

Bike Setup:   Patriot, Boxxers etc

Submitted by Richard Utting a Downhiller from Windermere, UK

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2003

Strengths:    Incredible over rocks and rough stuff, whatever the weather. Best rock tyre I've ever used.

Weaknesses:    i love it

Bottom Line:
    I ride rocks, rocks and rocks. Sometimes dry and hard but generally wet and slippery and horrible.
    Tyres like the old IRC Kujo are fantastic WRT pattern, sidewall strength and air volume but are outclassed these days by softer compound grippier tyres. Well this tyre combines the two. It has an amazingly effective MX-inspired pattern, a big volume, burly sidewall AND soft compound.
    I've ridden all the top-flight tyres but this is the real deal for me. Over rocks you'll not find a better tyre, front or rear: It carves, it brakes, it grips, it doesn't want to flat, the sidewall is not too hard nor too soft - it's just great.
    They are on the heavy side but they could be worse; I think the penalty is worthwhile for sure.
    If you liked tyres like the Kujo but want softer compound then this is for you.

Favorite Trail:   Lake District

Purchased At:   www.chainreactioncycles.com

Similar Products Used:   all the DH tyres

Bike Setup:   Shockwave 9.5, Monsters etc

Submitted by delagarde a Downhiller from quebec

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2003

Strengths:    as far as I can remember these tires offered the better grip over semi wet rocks and roots. I dont ride them anymore but I'm just about to buy a new set. In between I've rode mobster, highroller, kujo, tioga DH and gazza.

Weaknesses:    they very heavy and large, I switched to highroller and comp 24.1 for racing because these are lighter and pedal faster but i'll get back to them now for their grip.

Bottom Line:
    I'm going all michelin, I just bought a set of MUD 3 they awesome. For everyday tire I'll try a comp32 in front and comp 24.1 at back. I like michelin tires a lot, highroller just doesnt grip enough for slow technical stuff. Comp 32 is best so far but expensive and heavy so i'll give :
    4.5/5 for overall
    4/5 for value

Similar Products Used:   mobster, highroller, kujo, tioga DH and gazza jr.

Bike Setup:   kona stab primo 2001. mrp 36, easton stem and bar, 321, xtr...

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2003

Strengths:    Wide, tons of grip, can convert rim to tubeless.

Weaknesses:    Too wide for some forks/frames.

Bottom Line:
    Remember this is a SOFT compound DH tubeless tire so it is heavier and rolls slower than others in it's class but will reward you with tons of grip and high speed stability.
    Not as sticky as a Maxxis super tacky but wears slower and rolls faster. Just converted my rim to tubeless and it is much better.

Similar Products Used:   mobsters (all sizes and compounds), tioga DH

Bike Setup:   '01 Stinky Dee-lux w/Super T, mag30's

Submitted by Aron from pg

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2002

Strengths:    incredible grip, can run low air without pinchflats, works great in all weather conditions

Weaknesses:    front tire picking up rocks and flinging them at my face on gravel roads ? ;p

Bottom Line:
    this tire is great, has tremendous grip, i haven't had a flat since i've owned this tire for about 6 months and i run it pretty low air pressure. My riding friend uses the 3.0 Gazzi and it has nothing on this tire, buy it if you want one of the best DH Tires out there.

Similar Products Used:   Gazzoladi, Arrow, Maxxis, kenda etc

Bike Setup:   2002 KHS Fetish 24"trailpimp/arrow rear, 26"bombshell/Michilen2.8 front.

Submitted by Steve a Downhiller from North Vancouver

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2002

Strengths:    Can run at very low pressures without worrying about pinch flats.
    Good rolling resistance.
    Awesome grip.
    Very good in muddy conditions.

Weaknesses:    Not a XC tire because of weight.

Bottom Line:
    I last had a 2.7 Mobster on my bike, and it sucked in non-dry conditions (as well as didn't like running low pressure). Even in dry conditions it wasn't that great. Bought the Michelin, and was I ever blown away. The grip is amazing! I can run with less air. I track skinnies, log rides, rock faces, a-frames, whatever, with way more control. Braking on steep decents is also much more controlled. The weight and tread design is not for XC or fast DH (the Maxxis High Roller is very good in that category), but the rolling resistance is still quite good and I don't find uphill rides any harder than with a tire like the Mobster.

A couple of colleagues who do some serious NS riding swear by this tire and their comments influenced me to try it out. I'm super happy, and will be buying this tire for years to come. This tire deserves a 6 chilly rating.

Favorite Trail:   Espresso

Purchased At:   Cove Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Col, Intense, High Rollers, Mobsters.

Bike Setup:   Hard tail with hydros and DJ1 fork.

Submitted by scott from Tempe,AZ

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2002

Strengths:    it works really well when i do urban assult.i like how big it is. looks cool.

Weaknesses:    uhhhhhhh none.

Bottom Line:
    this is a good tire for anything and it dosn't wear out fast. 5 flamin s@#ts for this tire.

Favorite Trail:   urban