Michelin Country Rock Tire

4.78/5 (18 Reviews)

The Michelin Country GravelTire is an all-time favorite for aroundTown and commuting use it is great for city streets, hardpack, and gravel. Ideally suitedTo hardpackTrails or urban use Excellent cornering grip Tire Bead: Steel ISO Diameter: 559 ISO Width: 44 mm TireType: Clincher Tire Diameter: 26" Tire Use: Mountain, Road Published Weight: 560 g PSI: 29-58 PSI

Submitted by Jeff K. a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2013

Strengths:    Very fast and quiet
Cheap
Great allround tire for XC and touring

Weaknesses:    Obviously not the best for mud or slippery conditions

Bottom Line:
This is quickly becoming a favorite everyday allround tire. It's kind of understated and a bit of an underdog. But if you like me prefer fast smooth XC riding in dry conditons this is a very good allround tire. You can use it on tarmac, gravel and pretty much any dry terrain. It's fast, quiet, turns easily, is long lasting and has decent grip.

If you ride in slippery conditions with mud or sand you'd want something with more volume and bigger and more aggresive knobs. And if you ride really rocky/gnarly terrain you'd probably want something more volume and shock absorption. But as compromises go this is a really good one! Great value too!

Favorite Trail:   Dry Fast XC

Submitted by Steve

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2012

Strengths:    It's very light with low resistant tread, narrow and good penetration resistance.

Bottom Line:
I am very happy with this tire. I bought a set for commuting purposes and hard pack trails. These tires made a drastic difference from the 2.2 inch wide knobbies i had on there before. Low price for a high quality tire.

Submitted by Beluchi a Weekend Warrior from Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2011

Strengths:    Good mix for road and hardpack trail.
Low rolling resistance - quicker than knobbies.
Long lasting.

Weaknesses:    Grip on the loose stuff could be better.

Bottom Line:
Bought them in 2000. Back then they were called 'Wildgripper Rock'. They've been good over the years. No punctures.

Purchased At:   in 2000

Submitted by Trevelyan a Cross Country Rider from Bath

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2011

Strengths:    They're light, very low rolling resistance, cheap, look good and are perfect for my mixed road, dirt commute. They are the nutz!

Weaknesses:    Not that puncture proof

Bottom Line:
Buy them! Great tyre with loads of grip wet or dry.
Best all round tyre I've ever used

Favorite Trail:   United Kingdom

Similar Products Used:   Tioga city slicker. Continental travel contact

Bike Setup:   OrangeG2. Recons

Submitted by chilone a Cross Country Rider from Divide, Colorado

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2010

Strengths:    Michelin (say na-more). Cheap, minimal rolling resistance, easy to change/mount, good looks. Oh, did I mention cheap?

Weaknesses:    Not self propelled.

Bottom Line:
Highly recommended!! I started commuting (part dirt road, part pavement) as sort of a fluke and at 9200 feet above sea level, I need all the help I can get. These tires are as close to a road bike tire as far as resistance and feel that I can imagine that will also work on moderate dirt roads. I'm surprised they are not more prevalent. Maybe people think because they are so cheap, they can't be good. Uhh.. wait... don't buy 'em. The price will go up!!!

Favorite Trail:   From here to there

Purchased At:   Niagra Cycle Works

Similar Products Used:   I've never used anything similar other than road bike tires.

Bike Setup:   1995ish Haro Extreme, Dart-3, old 7 speed Deore XT and hubs, Easton EA50 bars, EA70 stem, Cane Creek S3, Ritchey rims, WTB saddle, Oury shiznits.

Submitted by deezledubb a Weekend Warrior from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2009

Strengths:    Durability is second to none. I have nearly 4000kms on my first set and they are still going. I had to rotate front to back around 3000kms due to wear on the rear tire but they are still holding up well. Not sure how much longer they will last but I am extremely satisfied for their longevity. Tires perform well in the rain and moderate cold weather. I weigh in around 230lbs and have them mounted on a GT Avalanche 1.0 if this will help gauge the bike and user for any readers.

Weaknesses:    Got a lot of punctures around 50% tire wear stage. I put some Mr. Tuffy to protect my inner tube and this solved the problem. Also found that tires do not do well on loose sand or mud, but this is not their design.

Bottom Line:
If you want something smaller than the 2" or so you find on mountain bike tires, or like to use your mountain bike for city commutes, I highly recommend Michelin Country Rock. I cannot say you will find any better for their application.

Similar Products Used:   I migrated to these tires from the Michelin Country Gravel which had a more agressive grip pattern. Nothing else was tried afterward due to satisfaction garnered from these tires. I wanted something for pavement but also allowed for hard packed mud riding - they have performed beyond expectations.

Submitted by Swedja a Cross Country Rider from Belgrade,Serbia

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2008

Strengths:    quiet,very low rolling resistance,just for city and cross country,no flats so far,high psi(I am 202cm-6'7 and 110kg-240),in the beginning tires r really thin and skinny but over time they r kinda wider and look better on your bike...

Weaknesses:    no mud,no rain...but 4 that I use different set of wheels with Schwalbe Smart Sam 26x2.1

Bottom Line:
I will buy them again and again and again...so far I roll them 2.300 km and they look fine...

Favorite Trail:   cross country

Purchased At:   www.bike24.com

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Short Tracker 26x2.1

Bike Setup:   Trek 8500 '08,XT full

Submitted by GroverTheClover a Cross Country Rider from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2008

Strengths:    Very quiet and grippy on the pavement (Compared to dedicated trail tire). Can handle some hardpack fireroads. Cheap! Although I purchased them on sale, the full price is still $20 per tire.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
These tires are an excellent bang for the buck and can convert your mountain bike into a road friendlier bike. I primarily use them for doing rail trails or riding with my roadie buddies on the street. As a bonus, they've got enough tread for hardpack fire roads and don't seem to lose too much traction in wet conditions. If you plan on riding on pavement recreationally, they're a great fit for a mountain bike.

Purchased At:   EMS

Similar Products Used:   Nothing else was recommended by the tech for my needs (recreational rail trail/road use).

Bike Setup:   IH Maverick 5.0, BB7, SD7, Full Metal Jacket, and Panaracer XC Fire Pro (for the trail)

Submitted by brandonbacc a Weekend Warrior from Rochester, MA

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2008

Strengths:    Little to no rolling resistance. Smooth ride.

Weaknesses:    None so far!

Bottom Line:
I have really only used these tires on the road/hardpack so far. Pulling my kids in a trailer and easy rides. Never a problem with traction in hardpack. Very high psi for a wide tire. No flats yet :) Recomended them to other riders looking for a good street/hardpack tire.

Favorite Trail:   Otis, MA

Purchased At:   BikeTiresDirect.com

Bike Setup:   Kona FireMountain, upgraded components

Submitted by 306maxi a Cross Country Rider from United Kingdom

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2008

Strengths:    Inexpensive, low rolling resistance, good handling on road, quiet and just an all round good tyre for hardpacked trails

Weaknesses:    Treads seem to clog up easily in wet/damp conditions and I can imagine it's not the best in very wet, muddy or rough conditions but by the same token you wouldn't expect it to be with the way it's tread is.

Bottom Line:
Took it out for a ride on a 2.4 mile trail I ride on every day and gained about 1 mph in average speed even though I had to stop 4 times because dogs were chasing me (a problem as it's a shared trail) so I think on a clean run it would be about 2-3 mph faster which is a lot when I only do about 11 mph usually. Not tried it out on anything particularly rough and probably won't as I have a set of XC Dry 2's for that. If you ride on hard packed trains that aren't rough and don't have any loose stuff then this tyre is the one for you.

At £8 per tyre I think they're very good value too.

Favorite Trail:   None

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction

Bike Setup:   GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

Submitted by Igor a Cross Country Rider from Moscow, Russia

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2008

Strengths:    narrow, holds surface great for semislick, average price, also quiet

Weaknesses:    almost none for its class

Bottom Line:
great tires, my first demislick yet but this one is pretty amazing - it works on dry and wet pretty well, and it sure riders easier then aggressive tires. not that good on dirt or wet sand/grass. for 1 year no flats due to puncture. i bought them for weekend runs/city but used on a trail this spring under a pretty "dirty" conditions, and they worked very well. as already been said, great for trail/dry/city, i would definitely by a new pair if these are stolen :)

Favorite Trail:   Ai Petri, Crimea

Purchased At:   local market

Similar Products Used:   none yet

Bike Setup:   Merida TFS with some custom stuff on it

Submitted by Oscar a Weekend Warrior from Omaha, NE

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2008

Strengths:    Quiet, low rolling resistance, no-nonsense labeling on sidewalls, and no cheesy reflective sidewall (just not my thing...remind me of whitewall tires)

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Swapped my OEM knobbies for a more comfortable, smooth-riding tire that made for better paved trail riding (which is all that I ride on). So far, I am enjoying them, and I hope for a continued flat-free break-in period. I bought Michelin Butyl tubes as well, so we'll see how those do (they claim a thicker ply of rubber for more puncture resistance).

Favorite Trail:   Omaha's paved trail system

Purchased At:   jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro Sport 26 x 2.2"

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (2006)

Submitted by Ray from Ontario,Canada

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2007

Strengths:    light for the size, flexible casing gives very low rolling resistance and very comfortable ride,fairly high pressure rating for such a wide tire

Weaknesses:    too soon to tell about puncture resistance, I had to pay too much because I live in Canada

Bottom Line:
I bought these for a winter tire for my touring bike. I have not noticed any difference in speed with the wider tire( pressure is just below 50 psi for improved traction). Tires mounted very easy and run true.I feel quite confident on wet pavement and the occasional bits of ice I ride over.For a test I (carefully)rode down a flat trail with packed snow and soft ice surface and had no traction problems.

Bike Setup:   Surly LHT touring bike 26" wheels

Submitted by Louis from Trois-Rivieres, Quebec, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2007

Strengths:    Road, for hard surface/trail, very fast ~no rolling resistance. Run well on hardpack. Strong.

Weaknesses:    Loose, wet grass (its low profile so.)

Bottom Line:
Seems strong, I took many stairs. They run great on hardpack, but do not expect extreme cornering. I use them on trail, no flat yet. Using at 73 PSI (max)(im 58kg)

For city/road/trail.