Michelin Comp S Light Tire

3.63/5 (41 Reviews)

Submitted by verong a Cross Country Rider from Philippines

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2006

Strengths:    Fast rolling and light. I noticed that it gave me a lot of speed on fire road, and loose soil.

Weaknesses:    Very slippery on woods and every wet condition.

Bottom Line:
Its a good multi-condition tires, but the grip is not agressive, but if you are looking for speed it would compensate. I've used it for more than almost a year and the knobs are still ok, and I have not experienced flats/punctures.

Similar Products Used:   IRC, Panaracer, Specialized, etc...

Bike Setup:   Cross-country, Trek 8900, SRAM X.0 Drivetrain, Marzochi Forks, Shimano XT, Mavic Rims, DT Spokes, Thompson Stem & Seatpost, Avid Breaks, FSA Cranks, Chrisking headset, Michelin Comp S lite with Continental Supersonic Tubes.

Submitted by Kevin McMahon a Cross Country Rider from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2006

Strengths:    that's $90 CDN MSRP and I got them for $70 CDN each. poo on USD. anyways, they're light, fast tires and have great grip. I feel really good on them, but I don't see a major advantage above the lower priced Panaracer Fire XC Pros...

Weaknesses:    Panaracer Fires are cheaper and feel just about as good to me...And they are stronger than these. I think I'll get them next time instead or the Kenda Kzmik Lite II's.

Bottom Line:
Not worth the mad dough. Get something cheaper, stronger, with slightly less grip that's lighter. There's a lot out there. Oh well, it was worth a shot. And Bib just looks so cool lol...

Favorite Trail:   ones that aren't ravaged by rain

Purchased At:   Calgary Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire XC Pros
IRC Serac XC

Bike Setup:   2001 Norco Rush

Submitted by Nate a Racer from Reno

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2005

Strengths:    light

Weaknesses:    -lasted two rides and one doesn't count because it was the Sea Otter XC, which is smooth and poses very little threat to a tire

Bottom Line:
these tires totally suck in every way. The sidewalls are weak and feel like they're going to come off when you're digging into a turn.

Durability - none - Lasted two rides. The front and rear were totally shreaded, I barely made it home. Thank god that I found a bunch of trash to line the tires.

I received three tires and gave the third to my 100 pound girlfriend. They lasted 3 rides for her.

I called Michelin about the situation (maybe they had a bad run). No reply.

Similar Products Used:   lots-favorites Ritchey excavader and kenda karismas

Submitted by Blake Williams a Cross Country Rider from Chicago

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2005

Strengths:    Light, Fast Rolling, Good grip in corners and mud shedding.

Weaknesses:    Not too many, perhaps not enough grip on wet rocks or roots

Bottom Line:
I had to put in another positive review. I raced these again in the fall and they felt good on everything. Deep Mud, Grass, Rocks, Sand etc. I also did a fair amouth of tight switchback riding and really pushed on the corners and they held pretty well. A little powerslide is I got too agro. I saw several new tires come out that are pretty similar. I would say these are perfect for any cross country app and not to worry if you are big. I go 6'2" 200lbs.

Favorite Trail:   Anything fast and tough

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey semi slicks

Bike Setup:   Klein Pulse Comp fully tricked

Submitted by Ronald de Jong a Cross Country Rider from Ljubljana

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2004

Strengths:    Look well, low resistance

Weaknesses:    Flats/punctures, wear out too fast, loosing air constantly

Bottom Line:
My first UST tires, according to tests in de Bike Magazine and reviews I decided to take the Michelins. Although I was quite happy with the Racing Ralphs.

Be aware: You will need soap to get them in place! And pumping up with your handpump: forget it. I spend a fortune on high pressure capsules...

Less flats with UST? So far I had three flats in wo months! I hope my next set will proove the opposite!

These tires will probably serve well if you ride them in easy terrain and keep them off any rocky and stony tracks, otherwise.

Favorite Trail:   Krvavec, Lago de Garda, Ucka, Nanos

Purchased At:   S-tec

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel 90 Disc, other Trek hardtails

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Element 70, Crossmax XL, complete XTR with discs, Ritchey WCR, Selle Italia, Ciclosport HAC4

Submitted by Blake a Cross Country Rider from Chicago, IL USA

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2004

Strengths:    Silicium sheds mud and goop like teflon. Traction amazing for such a fast rolling design. Very Fast Rolling and light weight. Green Color was awesome, too bad they nixed it.

Weaknesses:    Sidewalls are a little fragile. I had one frey from rubbing on another bike using a trunk rack. I just had the other get a cut from something in my trunk.

Bottom Line:
I go for the lightest good quality stuff within reason. My friend ran Kenda Climax 1.95s and was going down in corners. I am about 195LBS and ride pretty hard, these tires corner like the bike is on rails. I have had no flats or other on-trail issues with these. I have raced them in mud and wet grass they preformed beautifully. They also held up to over 500 miles of pavement and still had tons of tread.

Favorite Trail:   Any Hardcore Singletrack

Purchased At:   LBS is Seely Wisconsin

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey alpha and omega semi-slicks

Bike Setup:   Totally custom Klein Pulse Comp with Skareeb Super fork, SRAM 9.0 Twisters and Rear Derailer, Thompson post, Avid Arch-Rival Brakes, Ritchey WCS 99gm stem, and Ritchey OCR Pro and Rock Rims that are 36 laced.

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Tampa, FL

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2004

Strengths:    tubeless

Weaknesses:    not aggressive enough (slips far too much when traction is needed most), weak side wall

Bottom Line:
These tires are suited for a small rider on primarily hard-pack trails. I weigh about 210 lbs and ride aggressively. The conditions I ride in range from hard pack to clay to sand. I found that these tires are not suitable for the type of riding I do. They slip far too easy when I am climbing even in dry conditions. Also, I have only ridden them about 8-10 times and the side wall already has a tear in it. I do not ride rocky sections and I was riding the tube at about 40 psi. I am very disappointed in this michelin tire.

Favorite Trail:   Alafia State Park

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   ritchey, wtb

Bike Setup:   2000 xcaliber hard tail with mavic cross land tubeless wheel set.

Submitted by jules biker a Racer from mexico

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2004

Strengths:    light, grippy, comfy, all condition race tire

Weaknesses:    none, maybe on rocks i´d use another tire

Bottom Line:
These tires offer technology, i´ve used them in my last 3 races, won them all, but i could feel a difference in the tires, very light and "cushy", very grippy, and good looking, and i raced in mud and dry conditions. Zero pinch flats or no cases of "thin sidewalls". Obviously these tires are for more "expert" riders, with more "finesse"
It just feels like a natural evolution in tires, i used to love pythons i still do. (pythons are only for dry), but these tires are one step ahead in technology, all weather superlight, and strong, I´m a thin 140 pound racer so i use them at 29 and 27 psi with no problems. Maybe in a very rocky course i´d use other tires.(pythons of trailblasters)
these tires are the best i´ve tried, and i have almost tried them all. Not sure how the´d work on a heavy guy.

Favorite Trail:   la luna (chiluca)

Purchased At:   benotto

Similar Products Used:   mythos, notos, team master, team control, pythons, trailblasters, larsen mimo, etc

Bike Setup:   2001 xtr homegrown, tith thudbuster susp post, 22lbs.

Submitted by Nig a Cross Country Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2004

Strengths:    Lightweight when used with stans no more tubes. Excellent grip, corners well, and feels fast on the trail.

Bottom Line:
Great tire, looks good and feels even better on the trail. Great grip when used with stans no tubes. Best tire found so far.

Similar Products Used:   roll x pro, panaracer fire xc pro

Bike Setup:   epic comp, michelin comp s lights, stans no tubes, easton bar, thompson pole,

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from Springdale, AR

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2004

Strengths:    Super fast roller. Tread pattern is good for hardpack, roots, and mud. Sheds mud well.

Weaknesses:    Casing is weak, tear in rear tire after one extremely rocky ride.

Bottom Line:
The Comp S lights are nice and fast, I can't see them lasting long. The casing is weak but super light. If you want a fast tire and don't mind spending the $$$ to replace them about every 3 months go for it. I also ran them front and back....seemed to work great.

Purchased At:   Highroller Cyclery (LBS)

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Revolt X , Hutchinson Mosiquto.

Bike Setup:   C'dale F600, X.9 all around, Titec carbon post, Easton EA70 flat bar, Oury grips, SLR saddle, the rest is stock.

Submitted by doug a Cross Country Rider from san jose

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2004

Strengths:    light with small knobs, rounded profile

Bottom Line:
i use this in the back and a verticle pro in front. i use it in the mud, dry and in between. no problems great tire. big knobbies in the back are way over rated...they waste energy. this thing is lite, rolls great and doesn't waste energy.

Similar Products Used:   many faster semi knob cross country tires

Bike Setup:   racer x

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from West Windsor NJ/St Louis, MO

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2004

Strengths:    Light, large volume, fast, bites in.

Weaknesses:    Large volume

Bottom Line:
I tried running the tire with a 1.75-2.0 tube, it kept flatting. Switched over to a 1.9-2.1 tube and it's been good since. Too bad I can't use my remaining stock of smaller tubes with this tire.

Other than that, it rides comfortably (probably thanks to the high air volume), and corners very securely on somewhat soft ground. Doesn't drag in the mud, either. Most of the hardpack sections where i ride are straights, and it spins up nicely- but I can't tell you how it handles (for obvious reasons).

I probably wouldn't pay $45 retail for it though.

Favorite Trail:   Clayton

Purchased At:   LBS (employee discount)

Similar Products Used:   Wildgripper Lite S, IRC Mythos

Bike Setup:   Giant ATX 890, LX, ESP 9.0, Marathon S. Magura HS-33

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Frisco, Colo.

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2004

Strengths:    Light, good all-around traction, higher air volume than previous Comp S, good in mud

Weaknesses:    Casing is just too damn light. Should have stuck with old standbys.

Bottom Line:
I love the tread and traction of this tire. Corners better than the old Comp S except on true hardpack. One of my first rides on the new Comp S Light was a muddy race. The tire was perfect, really fun, controllable in tight downhill turns where others were helpless. But- in my favorite race, (rocky, steep 50-mi), it flatted after 12 miles. I was running a light tube, swapped to a regular tube. Flatted again in .5 mile. The casing had a couple of tears from rocks. My race was hosed. I will not buy another Michelin "Light" tire. I use a Continental Explorer Supersonic in front, it is even lighter than the Michelin but has never given me a problem. The old Comp S didn't ever flat on me either... bummer.

Favorite Trail:   many faves

Similar Products Used:   Michelin Comp S, Jet S, Conti Explorer, many others

Bike Setup:   DeVinci Moonracer FS- Conti Explorer in front

Submitted by ernesto freyre a Weekend Warrior from miami, florida

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2004

Strengths:    Very fast, smooth, gives a lot of speed. Super light. Give a very good feel on the ground. Works well on sandy trials, great grips on dry and muddy trials.

Weaknesses:    Biggest weakness is when you ride on any WET wood, logs, or roots, can be extremely fatal and slippery and gets out of control.

Bottom Line:
It gives a lot of speed. Biggest problem is when you ride wet woods it is extremely fatal and slippery. When it comes to mud i have a lot more control even on very dry lands as well sandy trails works well, even cross 2 to 7 inches of water works well. Gets flats easily if you ride on very sharp trails. I already got 2 flats in 6 months, never happened before. However I do like the michlinn for the ride and the speed, when it raining or totally soak wet and knowing that i will be riding on woods such as wet roots, ramp (woods) or anything that is wood, is too slippery. I aviod those areas. In my previous tires I had no problem handling it. It is not all weather tires. Honestly not a good idea for beginers, too risky. Those tires are excellent for very experience riders. Not for hard pack ride, excellent for cross country, long flat rides and little rough, those tires can handle very well. If you are racing very smooth terrians, with some rocks on it, then you are in the right product for it, if you are riding wet woods never mind those. I can imainge riding at Arizona would be awesome, and super fast.

Favorite Trail:   oleta park