Michelin All Mountain Tire

2.85/5 (13 Reviews)

Lightweight and fast, the new All Mountain incorporates Michelin Dual Compound technology. Suitable for cross-country racing or riding, the All Mountain offers the expert rider exceptional grip and performance on technical trails and helps you get the most from high-end suspension, brakes and wheels.

• Highly resistant
  • Dual Compound technology

Submitted by Br80 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2014

Strengths:    Appearance

Weaknesses:    Everything else

Bottom Line:
These tires are very pretty on the outside, and claim to be durable. Don't be fooled. Like several of the others who reviewed this product, mine proved to be useless after only two rides. The side knobs have turned into little flaps that seve only to help wash you out in high speed turns. If you like wasting money, go ahead and buy these piles. I purchased them only in desperation as I was late for a ride and my regular LBS was not yet open. They appeared to have been on the shelf for a while, but they had no alternatives.

Favorite Trail:   Holy Jim, OC, Ca

Duration Product Used:   2 rides

Purchased At:   bicycle discovery

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar, bomber am fork, RP23 rear, XTR/Race Face mix, XO brakes

Submitted by Quantum23 a Downhiller from Oakland, Ca

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2008

Strengths:    sticks like velcro, lightweight, mounted OK

Weaknesses:    knobs tears off!!!

Bottom Line:
I'm trying to send these back as I'll have no knobs with one more ride, only one ride so far and I'd say 1/3 are torn!!!
They felt really great in turns and uphill though.
I hope I got bad batch cause I was really loving them till I realized all the torn knobs.
Very perdictable in corner's, they stuck like velco! The round profile was very nice.

I can only give one chili because they're falling apart atfer one ride and need to be warrantied.

Favorite Trail:   Livewire

Purchased At:   Biketiresdirect

Similar Products Used:   Spec, Kenda, WTB

Bike Setup:   Full custom Turner RFX

Submitted by fhansson a Cross Country Rider from Sweden

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2008

Strengths:    Good grip on rocks and dirt!

Weaknesses:    Wear out fast on road-use. Not the fastest tire.

Bottom Line:
This tire works very good on rocks and also in wet conditions due it's soft rubber. In deep mud it is not the best tire but the grip is good anyway. On road it is totally useless, vibrates and wear out very fast. This tire is perfect for technical mountain terrain, nothing else!

Bike Setup:   Scott Comp Racing 2004

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from Boston

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2008

Strengths:    Cheap as hell, definitely wider than 2.2, climbs great, great through technical sections

Weaknesses:    sidewalls are a bit weak, but nothing too crazy

Bottom Line:
This tire is awesome for an all mountain set up, highly recommend it to anyone, especially with the price so cheap, 30 bucks for a a complete set, you cant beat that. I dont experience any tire slip while climbing and they work great over technical sections. Ive gotten three flats though all on the rear tire. Two of them were on descents going around a corner, but for a tire thats used more than 3 times a week over a 6 month interval, id say 3 flats is pretty much nothing

Favorite Trail:   busternut

Similar Products Used:   panaracer, wtb, bontrager

Bike Setup:   5 in travel bike

Submitted by Andy a Weekend Warrior from Tucson, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2007

Strengths:    This tire has a lot of volume for a 2.2 and is cheap.

Weaknesses:    First of all, its fairly heavy, it wears very quickly on pavement, and cornering leaves much to be desired.

Bottom Line:
This tire is big and cheap. I have yet to try it in mud or snow. I'm always hopeful that this tire will start performing in these conditions. Hopefully by the time it snows, it won't have worn out completely. I ride my bike to classes, and the pavement really beats this tire up. After a few rides, knobs started tearing. Traction is ok at low pressures, but cornering still sucks. Whatever you do, don't pay much more than $15 for this tire.

Favorite Trail:   Shultz Creek

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Bontrager, Panaracer...

Bike Setup:   Rockhopper with lots of XT upgrades

Submitted by pat harrington a Cross Country Rider from tucson, az

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2007

Strengths:    Was cheap as heck, $38 for the pair. Very durable, good in mud, good in hardpack and some sand. Have no problems with flats, 2 flats in 3 months. It is ok for rocky climbs better for decents. Good tread design. Unlike other posts I have had no problem with the rubber coming off the knobs

Weaknesses:    have to run a low psi for more XC. Doing near 25-30 psi for a lot of turns or it skids a lot in deep sand. Does not take well to rocky climbs. better for north-south or east-west riding. Turns suck and just do not grab that well.

Bottom Line:
For a good value it is worth it totally. I have no problem with it in Arizona with the cactus, sand, and rocks. It is a all mountain tire. I would only use it in muddy conditions or on hardpack trail. It does not like sand, unless you run low psi. It does not like turns either, that is my biggest complaint. I skid on trails a lot. It does not dig like the continentals do or even my old bontragor jones did on trails here. I would pay $38 for a pair again but not the suggested $30-40 dollars it is selling for a single tire. Find a good price or go get a better tire. Still I am happy with the tire at the price and the quality it has given me for 3 months. Would be a very good DH tire.

Favorite Trail:   mary's loop gj, co

Similar Products Used:   Continental and bontragor

Bike Setup:   2006 trek remedy 5. Stock except Odi lock on grips and crank brother mallet c pedals

Submitted by Bryan a Cross Country Rider from Jonesboro, AR, USA

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2007

Strengths:    Nice looking tire, grips well, sheds mud, and cuts through slop

Weaknesses:    A bit pricy, a little tougher to get on the rim than other tires I've changed, but that's a very small sacrifice.

Bottom Line:
Not the cheapest tire, but I can't complain about the performance. I rode a race last weekend where we got almost 5" of rain the night before, and these tires didn't let me down. They shed mud well, they cut through the slop, I can't find a reason to complain about them. I've put about 60 miles on them in the first month and haven't experienced any of the issues that others here have complained about - all the knobs are intact, sidewalls are holding up just fine, and it's not like I haven't punished them.

Favorite Trail:   Syllamo Red and Green loops

Juicy Seven hyd. brakes
26x2.25 Michelin AT Dual Compounds

Submitted by Paul Watson a Weekend Warrior from Manchester, UK

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight tire with good corner grip when used on a wide rim.

Weaknesses:    These tires are not very durable. Knobs were tearing off on my 2nd ride with them and my tire on the rear was sliced clean open on a rocky trail.

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a lightweight do-it-all tire and dont mind tires that dont last well then these are well worth a look. However, the sidewalls are a little vulnerable on rocky stuff.

Favorite Trail:   Glentress

Purchased At:   dotbike.com

Similar Products Used:   High rollers, specialized enduro tires, panaracer fire XC.

Bike Setup:   Orange patriot with Z1 sl forks.

Submitted by john a Racer from bflo, ny, usa

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2007

Strengths:    wide, has a nice tread and shape, holds in the wet and muddy.

Weaknesses:    a little heavy

Bottom Line:
i do not know why people bad mouth the michelins. great rubber at a great buy.

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   lotsa michelins, some ritchey, kenda...

Bike Setup:   made in taiwan michelin all mountain 2.2 up front. C4 latex tube. michelin rim strip. mavic 317 rims. 2 bar of pressure. rider weight is high 170s.

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from CSprings Colorado

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2006

Strengths:    Excellent skid ability when you need to throw the rear for that nice and hard turn.

Weaknesses:    Mine is falling apart. Cracks in between the gray compound and the black rubber, cracks in the gray rubber. You can pick off the knobs. I just dont understand, I dont ride this wheel tire at all.

Bottom Line:
This tire blows. Better tires can be had at a much cheaper price.

Favorite Trail:   Captain Jacks