Home | Reviews | Tire | Maxxis

Maxxis SwampThing Tire

4.79/5 (34 Reviews)
Weight : 595 grams (kevlar) MSRP : $66.99

The rubber used in the Swampthing is firm enough that knobs won't fold, yet soft enough to hook up on wet rocks and roots. The rounded profile allows the Swampthing to hook up without digging into the soil.
  • Cleated knob design digs deep to allow optimal cornering, braking, and acceleration
  • 2-ply DH casings with butyl-protected sidewalls

Submitted by sam a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2013

Strengths:    It will flawlessly grip on anything.. Sticks to the terrain like chewing gum sticks to your hair. You can corner like the Jesus of mountain biking.

Weaknesses:    Tread pattern looks odd, maybe that is just me.

Bottom Line:
Buy it. I have never had a washout on this tire at all. From riding here in NI, everything is mud, roots, rocks and gullies and it handles all no prob. Better than any kenda or panaracer I've ever used.

Favorite Trail:   Lumpers, Ravensdale

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer fire fr

Bike Setup:   Commencal Supreme DH 2008.

Submitted by mtbmike a Downhiller from Marlboro newyork usa

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2011

Strengths:    Best Downhill tire ive ever used. Never slips. took it out in 4 inches of snow!

Weaknesses:    NONE@!@

Bottom Line:
Ive used TOO MANY TIRES AND BY FAR THIS TIRE IS THE BEST!

Favorite Trail:   cronomer

Purchased At:   My brother

Submitted by SCALA-X a Downhiller from FRIBOURG

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2011

Strengths:    good tyre in loose terrain

Weaknesses:    no possible to attak cornering in hard pack terrain

Bottom Line:
its a good tyre for loose and wet terrain but is not possible to attak cornering in dry hard pack. i ride more in dry conditions and when it's dusty (loose over hardpack in very dry) its impossible to be in confidence and must rolls very slow..

Favorite Trail:   crans montana

Purchased At:   crc

Similar Products Used:   minion

Bike Setup:   scott gambler

Submitted by lel-95 a Downhiller from sunderland

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2011

Strengths:    amazing grip in any conditions, excelent wear rate

Weaknesses:    none!

Bottom Line:
an amazing tire, i have used it in all conditions and never lost traction yet

Purchased At:   chain reaction

Similar Products Used:   minions, highrollers

Bike Setup:   transition dirtbag, 66rc, saint..

Submitted by JAYDMF a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2011

Strengths:    Great tyre all year round, Nothing (and i mean nothing) grips like this tyre

Weaknesses:    Heavy and slow rolling but thats the price you pay for the protection that the casing gives and the grip you get.

Bottom Line:
If you want a tyre that will not only stick to trails like sh*t to a blanket but will last, run without flats all year round all conditions and inspire confidence to nail the trails then look no further.

There are tyres that come close to this one but none that surpass it (not that ive come across yet anyway). Anybody that wants speed in the summer then get yourself something else (mountain kings, minions, verticals or prowlers) and anyone that wants XC tyres either prepare for the drag or again get something else.

I mainly only run these on my DH bikes but ive taken my Mr Hyde on a trek with these on and although its not easy going its so much fun on the downs in the middle of winter knowing youve got all the control you could ask for.

Little bit expensive but worth it

Purchased At:   Various places

Similar Products Used:   Nokian Gazzas, High rollers, Minions.

Bike Setup:   Identiti Dr Jekyll setup for DH (2.35s). Orange Patriot '07 DH setup (2.5s) both setups running dual ply ST

Submitted by the kamisai a Downhiller from helena, MT, US

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2009

Strengths:    GRIP!!! absolutely amazing control
going from wet to loose no problem and on hardpack the just wont let go.

Weaknesses:    some people would find them just a little bit to heavy... it didn't bother me but i don't ride the street much.

Bottom Line:
buy these if your going to do any freeride or dh.
if you are one of those complainy xc or road cyclists then find something lighter weight .

Favorite Trail:   bitterroot devils dh corse

Purchased At:   jensonUSA.com

Similar Products Used:   maxxis high roller and the dhr

Bike Setup:   khs dj200, marzocchi dj3, sun rhyno lites, raceface dh drive train.

Submitted by tex5491 a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2009

Strengths:    Puncture resistance, grips great on every thing but sand

Weaknesses:    heavy

Bottom Line:
This tire is heavy but it will not go flat on you. On top of plenty of rocks here in austin all of the vegitation is spiky in some form or fasion and i have ran over it all. If you hate to change or patch tires and dont mind the weight than these are perfict.

Favorite Trail:   Walnut creek

Purchased At:   online somewhere

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager JonesXR

Submitted by deserteagle99uzi a Cross Country Rider from St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2009

Strengths:    Excellent front and rear tyres, Grip and Hook Up better than anything I've ever tried and inspire ridiculous amounts of confidence in all conditions. Use with Stan's tubeless or similar tubeless system and low pressure (under 35 psi) to achieve true potential

Weaknesses:    Extremely high rolling resistance. When DHing I use both, when XC riding I only use this tyre in the front. When using on both wheels the slightest patch of loose gravel will feel exactly like riding onto a velcro patch.

Bottom Line:
First let me be clear: THIS REVIEW IS FOR THE 2.35' Width Tyres. I would also like to point out that I have never tried running these over 30-35 PSI and have ALWAYS run them tubeless with stan's tubeless system (www.notubes.com), I would not bother running them with tubes as the grip is 2/3 of the reason to run them at all. After painstakingly parsing many of the reviews on this website and testing about $500 worth of tyres over an entire XC season in southeast Missouri I can confidently say that this is the BEST front tire for almost any condition XC trail riding.

From the small amount of DH that is possible in missouri (not much elevation change but plenty of long DH stretches) I am fairly certain that I wouldn't try any other tyre besides this for DH riding.

While these tyres are rather heavy and thus have poor rolling resistance they hook up and grip in ways no other tyre has come close to being able to do. I have been able to develop my weekend warrior riding techniques into XC racing level times primarily b/c of how hard these tyres allow you to push turns and rocky loose downhill sections. The tread is simple yet effective shedding mud very quickly and giving amazing grip even when skipping over rocks and roots in loose conditions at high speed.

I primarily run these tyres in the front b/c the high rolling resistivity lends to very poor momentum transfers on trails when put in the rear. This effect is the only downside to running these tyres in both front and rear, however it is quite pronounced to the point where I actually slow down going down slight hills if I hit loose gravelly or sandy sections that other tyres like the Panaracer would just float over. This may bother some users, others may not really care particularly if weight saving/flow is not top priority. I switch my rear out every week or two depending on how I feel and how long of a trail I have. While the flow is killed by running these rear there are many climbs which would normally demand a low gear and careful line choosing which can just be powered through when running this tyre rear because of the crazy hookup it gets on almost any surface. My Panaracer feels like it's having to scrape around roots and rocks when I climb with it and I have to stay carefully aware of my weight distribution so as to keep enough traction in the back. All of this thinking and body positioning can simply be ignored when running this tyre in the rear as It grabs ANYTHING like a pair of pliers with little to no weight on it; if it slips it's not for more than a split second before it immediately hooks up never forcing me to pop out and put a foot down.

While I would never consider using anything but these for my front tyre I would recommend using it as a rear sparingly, wet/loose trails/conditions make this an invaluable rear tyre but it will slow you down significantly and kill your flow for normal trail riding purposes. Durability has been excellent as running them at the 30 PSI tubeless that I do and weighing 190lb's borders on abuse. I can say that I have never punctured one of these in 2 years of riding while my panaracer's have suffered multiple flats both with tubes and without.

The only issue I can think of with these is that they have a VERY pronounced wire bead and thus are EXTREMELY hard to get on and off a lot of rims, I would recommend setting them up tubeless with something like stan's kit (www.notubes.com) as a tube change on the trail could literally take 1/2 an hour and might require a bit of oil to slip the bead off the rim.

Favorite Trail:   Berryman

Purchased At:   CRC (Chain Reaction

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Ignitor, Panaracer Fire XC Pro, WTB Velociraptor, A variety of highly ranked tyres on this website.

Bike Setup:   Ibex Asta Comp X.9, Shimano SLX crank, Rhynolite Wheelset laced to Shimano XT hubs and set up tubeless with stan's notubes system and Maxxis Swampthings 26x2.35, Second wheelset Sun DSC-2 XC laced to nova hubs with Panaracer FireXC Pro 26x2.1 setup tubeless. Both wheelsets run 25-40 PSI as needed and I often run Swampthing front, Panaracer rear

Submitted by Erik a Cross Country Rider from underhill ctr, VT

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2008

Strengths:    terrific traction in all conditions, especially slippery roots, rocks and mud. will not let go.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
great tire for slippery conditions. I run 2.5 front and back and these tires have really impressed with ability to power around over and up surfaces that in the past other tires have lost traction on. For those in dry climates this tire may be overkill. FYI these were a real b*tch to put on my rims. Tight tolerances with Maxis and my DT swiss wheels? Oh well, besides that these are awsome.

Purchased At:   somewhere online??

Similar Products Used:   wtb, ritchey, specialized, bontrager, panaracer

Bike Setup:   enduro sl

Submitted by Will a Racer from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2008

Strengths:    grips like tank treads for your bike.

Weaknesses:    rolling resistance

Bottom Line:
The best tire I've ever ridden in soft soil and loose conditions! I've literally ridden these tires up stairs. Waisted on anything but the slipperiest and nastiest of trails though. Overkill as well.

Favorite Trail:   Dausset Trails

Similar Products Used:   IRC Serac, Maxxis Ignitors

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Rush 600, mostly stock.

Submitted by Sylvain Gravel a Weekend Warrior from Montreal, Qc, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2007

Strengths:    - Grip. These stick to anything. Mud, loose, hard pack, you name it and they handle it. I couldn't ask for a better rear tire!
- Superb Wear. I've been using these tires for 3 years now and they still have some pretty tall knobs. The best thing is I've ridden these on pavement and they hold up pretty good

Weaknesses:    More or less of a weakness but they don't do it in 2.1 or 2.35 anymore so I'll have to move on to something else.

Bottom Line:
Well these tires are just amazing. Nothing less. When I purchased these tires 3 years ago I was looking for my first mud tire. I haven't been deceived and I still have them on my bike. They really grip to anything that ends up being under your wheel in any condition. If these tires slip, anything will. To be honest I've never had them slip on the downhill and very rarely on the uphill. On top of that they really hold the line well. I just wish they still had a 2.1 version for my XC bike and a 2.35 for my all mountain...

Similar Products Used:   Nevagal, Mofo DH, Weirwolf

Bike Setup:   Ramped up 2003 Norco Storm

Submitted by Joel a Downhiller from Reno, Nevada

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2007

Strengths:    - excellent grip
- super strong
- don't really have to worry about pinch flats
- confidence inspiring

Weaknesses:    - rolling resistance

Bottom Line:
This is a great tire for the worst conditions. It handles great in the loose dirt and holds the line you want. I haven't ridden these tires in the mud yet, but I'm sure they would excell there as well.

I use the 2.5 60d version. The wirebead in the tire makes it super strong and makes it so you basically don't need to worry about pinchflatting.

I wouldn't recommend this tire to road bikers and cross country people because of the weight and high rolling resitance haha. BUT, if you downhill and need good grip on the crappiest conditions, I would highly recommend this tire.

Favorite Trail:   Northstar

Similar Products Used:   minion 2.5 dhf / dhr, michelin 2.8, holy rollers, high rollers, etc, etc

Bike Setup:   SWD Racing 6Gun

Submitted by ryan wade a Weekend Warrior from bolton, manchester, England

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2007

Strengths:    really grippy, not to bad on wear- ive had mine bout 4 months n the back has just started 2 wear, great on fast cornering lots of confidence

Weaknesses:    heavy!- my rear tire is a 2.5 inch and it weighs 1180g im thinking of changing to WTB wierwolf which are 400g lighter and ive heard good things about them, a bit slow on smooth stuf but its not designed 4 that!?

Bottom Line:
great tire in all condition, even thought it is designed for mud its equally as good on loose gravel, im goin 2 change to something with less rolling resistace for summer and keep these for the rest of the year

Favorite Trail:   Llandegls, rivington

Purchased At:   chain reaction

Similar Products Used:   specialized pro 2.3, - i ride all mountain/freeride and these r great for this

Bike Setup:   kona coiler dee-lux, fox 36 van rc2, hone cranks, avid juicy 5, xt-xtr transmision, huttefelt bars and stem hope hubs on s-type rims.

Submitted by John Thompson a Cross Country Rider from Plymouth, Devon, UK

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2007

Strengths:    The 42a durometer compound is seriously confidence inspiring, providing unbelieveable grip on technical roots, rocks and mud. Sheds mud well too. Holds up at low pressures. Recommended trail tyre for 'exploration' in UK winter conditions.

Weaknesses:    Dead slow on hard surfaces, fast wearing. Avoid tarmac. Make sure you are fitter than your mates if they are using something else.

Bottom Line:
Ultra grippy technical trail tyre for winter use in slippery UK conditions. No good for fast riding but great if you don't want to be defeated by the elements. Recommended for solo night rides in the winter when you need a bit more confidence. look elsewhere if you have the need for speed.

Favorite Trail:   cann woods nr Plymouth

Purchased At:   wiggle

Bike Setup:   sworks stuntjumper 120 (septune) fast trail setup.

Submitted by John Davis a Cross Country Rider from Christchurch, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2006

Strengths:    amazing traction

Weaknesses:    sketchy on loose dry surfaces (but it's a mud tire so waddya expect)

Bottom Line:
absolutely confidence inspiring, our local hills are notoriously greasy in winter (superfine clay), these hang in there when my riding buddies are skidding or spinning

Favorite Trail:   port hills trail network

Purchased At:   Bicycle Business