Home | Reviews | Tire | Maxxis

Maxxis Ridgeline Tire

3.86/5 (7 Reviews)

• Round profile for consistent cornering
  • Fast on hard pack

Submitted by bigpedaler

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2012

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance, easy cornering (hardpack/commuting)

Weaknesses:    don't handle technical terrain well

Bottom Line:
I wanted to continue my search for "the perfect tire" for my uses, and decided to give Maxxis another chance (the 2.35 Ignitor came up short). Since there isn't much in the way of trails around here any more (one decent network at a park 10+ miles away -- I'm car-free), I look for a tire that handles smoother terrain, yet can take it when I find places to suddenly get silly.

The Ridgeline is a decent tire for that, just not quite the best; they were, in fact, a little less capable then the Michelin Country Dry I went back to. But, since I have other riders in the house (daughter & 2 nephews), the Ridgelines won't go to waste.

Submitted by e_hermo3 a Cross Country Rider from Laguna Beach, Ca

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2009

Strengths:    Fast, low rolling resistance, w/ a tight tread pattern. Definitely meant for dry, hard pack. Decent weight.

Weaknesses:    Lack of decent side knobs makes for some drifting when leaning/cornering...especially on looser terrain. Haven't experienced wet/tacky terrain yet, but seems like it could be an issue.

Bottom Line:
Not a bad tire for stock spec's especially for a majority of the local trails that I will be riding. Ive only ridden 60 miles or so on them, w/ a little less than half of them on the road (bike commute to work). Seem like they'll last a while. You can't expect them to corner like High Roller's or Nevegal's, but the pay off is lighter weight, with some nice speed on dry hard pack. I haven't messed around w/ running different tire pressures so I can't comment w/ too much detail. In the future I could see myself swapping out the front tire for something like a Maxxis Ardent/Advantage, and keeping something similar for the rear. As for now, Im stoked just to be riding again, and have been having a blast on my Rize 4!

Favorite Trail:   Telonics

Purchased At:   Stock w/ new C'dale

Similar Products Used:   High Rollers, Intense World Cups, Panaracers, WTB

Bike Setup:   2009 Cannondale Rize 4 (Large) w/ ESI grips

Submitted by flman a Cross Country Rider from Kingston NY USA

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2009

Strengths:    These are great for wet and dry riding, they go over wet mossy logs and rocks like they are dry. They have very little rolling resistance. Very soft and forgiving. They hold up well to shark fin blue stone trail, now signs of tearing in 2 months of use.

Weaknesses:    Not very good in the mud. They will through stone dust at your frame when you ride in the road, but only when they are new.

Bottom Line:
If you ride rocky, rooty, and over dead trees these are great, wet or dry. If you ride in the mud or sand, get something knobby.

One of my favorite searches on Ebay is Maxxis Ridgeline, I hope to get some slightly used ones at a good deal from you nay sayers ;)

Favorite Trail:   Onteora Lake

Purchased At:   Came with Rize New b

Similar Products Used:   I have used mostly knobby types, so I can not compare to these, but the knobbies slip on wet surfaces, like logs, roots and rock.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Rize 4 all stock except saddle, grips and pedals.

Submitted by Hobbes a Weekend Warrior from Calgary AB

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2009

Strengths:    Good looking.

Weaknesses:    The front tire picks up every small rock and trows it to the frame. The rear traction is terrible.

Bottom Line:
The traction is really bad unless you are riding on pavement or similar. Replaced with Nokian tires.

Favorite Trail:   Elbow Valley

Similar Products Used:   Comparable to WalMart Tires

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Rize

Submitted by Tackhammer a Cross Country Rider from Michigan

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2008

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance, quality.

Weaknesses:    Don't work well in mud or wet roots - obviously their not intended for that.

Bottom Line:
I like these tires for dry weather. No flats yet. Hopefully I didn't jinx myself. Once fall came around I put on my Panaracers for trail riding.

Favorite Trail:   lots

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Rush 5z

Submitted by papkec a Cross Country Rider from SC

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2008

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance, great dry traction

Weaknesses:    A little slick in mud but well worth it for the low rolling resistance

Bottom Line:
I got these because they were pulled off of a new bike in the shop I work in. I saw them as a less expensive option to the Hutchinson Pythons. They have exceeded my expectaions; I normally ride dry hard-pack with lots of roots and they work great. I recently rode some loose rock/slick rock and much to my surprise they were really stable.

Favorite Trail:   FATS

Similar Products Used:   Too many to remember...closest competitor: Hutchison python

Submitted by JDM a Cross Country Rider from Alexandria, NH

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2008

Strengths:    good grip, low rolling resistance, no flats yet

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
I only have experience with the three tires mentioned above, and the Maxxis are easily the best. The tread pattern doesn't look very deep or aggressive, but the seem to grip well over wet roots & rocks, loose gravel and hard packed dirt. They also have noticeably lower rolling resistance than the Specialized 2.3's.

Favorite Trail:   Cornish town forest