Home | Reviews | Tire | Maxxis

Maxxis Minotaur Tire

3.19/5 (16 Reviews)

• Engineered for the demands of professional racing and high-performance riding
  • Hardpack to Medium-loose soil conditions
  • High tensile multi-layer Kevlar beads
  • Cut-resistant tread compound
  • 26 x 1.90 low-profile casing

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Allen Thurber a Cross Country Rider from Wisconsin Rapids, WI USA

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2007

Strengths:    Light, low rolling resistance, dependable and predictable as a front tire.

Weaknesses:    This is not a good back tire, except maybe in dry hardpack conditions.

Bottom Line:
    I love these as a lightweight front tire. I couple them with a Hi-Roller on the rear and it's an awesome lightweight all-around tire set up. Maxxis makes great tires and are constantly pushing the envelope and are willing to try different things. Again, I don't recommend these as a rear tire, but they are an awesome front tire.

Favorite Trail:   9 Mile Forest

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   IRC Serac, IRC Mythos, Bontrager Jones

Bike Setup:   23 pound hardtail. Mix of XTR and XT,Avid mechanical disc brakes, FSA XC-300 wheels, Easton EC 70 build kit, SID team fork, Maxxis Hi-Roller tire on rear, Maxxis Minotaur on the front.

Submitted by Josh Emmons a Cross Country Rider from Denver Co. USA

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2007

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance,and very lite. the tires are fast also.

Weaknesses:    The tires don't last long, one season for me, and now there as bald as a baby's butt... and the tires don't grip sand, nor rocks, the tires are not that great.

Bottom Line:
    I hate these tires with a passion, if your looking for a tire to buy, DONT BUY THIS ONE!!!

Favorite Trail:   Moab trails, i love slick rock

Purchased At:   Vello swap

Similar Products Used:   NONE!!!

Bike Setup:   1999 GT Zaskar with sram X9 set up, with Thomson, and Dean.

Submitted by Rich a Cross Country Rider from Lawrenceville, GA

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2006

Strengths:    Very light at a true 378 grams! Mount easily, track well. Good all around cross country tire.

Weaknesses:    Thin skinned and prone to flats from thorns.

Bottom Line:
    Well...I bought these tires before reading the reviews but rode them afterward. So...I expected the worst performing tires one could imagine, but, that is not what I got. I can't believe these reviews are of the same tires I got. I love these tires! They are very predictable in all kinds of terrain and they are noticably lighter than my last set of tires the Panaracer Smoke and Dart combo. These tires lighten up the steering so that I am able to point the front tire exactly where I want it to go, and it goes there. I've got about 200 miles on them so far and am very pleased with their all around performance. If they suffer at all in traction it is when the soil starts to get soft, cakey or muddy. They get me through but traction is limited in these conditions. I've gotten one flat so far with a thorn puncture, but it was a pretty big thorne. Otherwise, the tires seem to handle the sharp rocks and wet granite quite well. I do find myself riding up climbs a gear higher than with my previous tires. This, I feel, is due to the light tire weight and the smaller tire diameter than my previous 2.1 sized tires. Anyway, I find them fun to ride on. I have also had to re-adjust my suspension settings for the lighter weight of the Minotaurs. This was a plus since now my suspension seems to be more responsive to the changing terrain. I recommend them!

Favorite Trail:   Tribble Mill

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Smoke and Dart, WTB Moto Raptor.

Bike Setup:   Marin East Peak with Fox Talas RLC fork, Ritchy WCS crank, FSA XC300 wheels, and lots of carbon. Bike weight=26lbs.

Submitted by Guillaume a Cross Country Rider from montréal

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2005

Strengths:    The weight is low. Nice look...that's it for positive

Weaknesses:    Since I installed them, I had so much trouble with the handling, especially on the front wheel and even had a jumpy back with in rear in some tiny rocks. Wish I could return them. Tried them with a lot of different psi level and still are a problem.

Bottom Line:
    I must say that I hated those tires on all type of ground. I am 5'11" and 185 and I have a lot of problems. Maybe it's a question of weight. I had a pinch flate once cause the tire actually went out the the rim while turning on a street corner at around 35 km/h. Tottaly s.....

Favorite Trail:   mont-tremblant

Similar Products Used:   smoke, trail blaster, skinny jimmy, ralph, xc pro, wild gripper.

Bike Setup:   GT avalanche series frame with full xt and RS sid. All easton components or bontrager race x-lite. Fair bike.

Submitted by tom a Racer from philly

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2004

Strengths:    theyre light

Weaknesses:    they always feel like they are about to wash out, even when youre going straight.

Bottom Line:
    I guess if I had to find somthing nice to say about these, the grip while climbing is pretty good. Once you pick up speed though, they prety much scare the crap out of you. I guess they would be good if you were working on your reflexes. They suck!

Purchased At:   price point

Similar Products Used:   ive had good luck with the eXCeption series of maxxis tires

Bike Setup:   specialized fsr set up as a sweet trail/race bike

Submitted by zach a Racer from port hope,on,canada

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2003

Strengths:    relly grippy light, low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    wears out fast knobs peel off

Bottom Line:
    a great racing tire but if you plan on riding on the road bike you should use other tires or have a road bike

Favorite Trail:   hard wood hills

Purchased At:   pedal perfomance

Similar Products Used:   irc mythos xc, panaracer dart 2

Bike Setup:   giant xtc 2 time pedals

Submitted by Paul Lang a Cross Country Rider from Asia

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2001

Strengths:    It is light (and for once really is the advertised weight of 380gms).

Weaknesses:    Much more unstable bike handling as compared to other tires of similar width. Much more effort on uphills due to the soft compound (especially on very hard pack and expect to lose one to two gears). Value vs performance.

Bottom Line:
    My Lbs ran out of the Mt. Baldy's so I gave the Minotaurs a shot which seemed such a great prospect considering it's weight and sometimes great reviews I found in this site. I weigh 178lbs and I workout almost daily around 30kms. The riding in my area is (unfortunately) 80% on the road (yes, of course semi's would serve it's purpose better but I can't be stuffed to swap tires every weekend when it's all dirt) and consists almost completely of steep hills. Riding these tires meant putting much more effort. The rear does the minimal of hook up and I find I either lose a gear or two, or have to resort to spin seated at a higher cadence (therefore slower) in order to compensate. The front fares better but still the worst amongst the other products I've used. I was more disappointed with its stability at speed. In the dirt it improves a lot, but then very puncture prone which is expected due to its low weight, but that means less fun. Traction is still not as near as I'd been accustomed to.
    I wish I had liked my Minotaurs as much as some of the reviewers below, but somehow find mine to work opposite to what they say they experience. Seems that either people give these tires a five - or a one. What gives Maxxis?

Favorite Trail:   any trail.

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Michelin Wildgrippers, IRC Mythos, Specialized Mt.Baldy Pro, Specialized Team Master Pro, Specialized Team Contro Pro. and others.

Bike Setup:   Fastrax hardtail,
    Easton EA70 Stem,
    Shimano 747's

Submitted by Jan Gerrit Klok a Racer from Holland

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2001

Strengths:    372 grams on my scales... Good alround performance.

Weaknesses:    I'll have to be easy on them, no training, just racing. Will wear soon.

Bottom Line:
    Didn't have to think of them in the race I tested them, which says enough. Good grips, low weight makes for easy ride. do not use the wormdrive 430, get the lighter Schalbe Fred Qualifier Compound.
    Used the Minotaurs as both front and rear. Seemed very predictbly on sandy dune-trail. I have 3 of them, got a deal on 2 from a guy that got them OEM but can't use them because of sponsoring from other tiremanufacturer.
    I will race them as front from most of my races till they're all slicks. Slickery tracks also as rear, otherwise the awesome Fast Freds.

Purchased At:   www.bike2build.com

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe Fast Fred, Mythos knobbies, Specialized Extreme Control, Tioga Gritty Slickers, Conti Twister SuperSonics.

Bike Setup:   VooDoo Bokor 21" at 9.2 kg.

Submitted by Jean-Marc a Cross Country Rider from West Chester

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2001

Strengths:    light so it won't load you recycle bin too much
    very easy to dismount, fold and trash

Weaknesses:    Ride on the bare rim you'll get better handling.

Bottom Line:
    This tire made my bike handle so bad, I almost get rid of the bike. It gave the worst ride I had in years.
    Stay away at all cost

Purchased At:   came with the bike (Marin)

Similar Products Used:   hutchinson, Specialized, IRC, Michelin to name a few

Bike Setup:   Marin Mount Vision pro 2001 stock

Submitted by davide valentini a Racer from modena, italy

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2001

Strengths:    the weight, good grip over steep ascents, wery mud friendly

Weaknesses:    the worst tire i've ever used, absolutely unpredictable even considering the small section, knobs are too flexy so you can't control the front and, for the same reason this tire doesn't roll

Bottom Line:
    the worst mtb tire i've ever used, especially dangerous for front use, i'can't believe i've bought a tire like this only becouse of marketing hype (380 grams)

Purchased At:   nencini sport

Similar Products Used:   wormdrive 430(much better), spec. mt baldy, sppedmax and many others

Bike Setup:   kestrel csx, c.max, full xtr

Submitted by gavin a Cross Country Rider from penzance, cornwall, UK

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2001

Strengths:    low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    skittery and inspires no cornering confidence whatsoever

Bottom Line:
    soon as i got this bike i put the xc's on and it was great. popped the maxxis jobbies on (that came with the bike)to see how they went and immediatly regretted it. sure they have little rolling resistance which is good on a long slow climb but the secong you get some speed up they just feel awful. skittery does'nt really describe it, more a case of thinking that the front is always going to wash out... you just don't want to corner on them (had the same problem with velociraptors, think its down to the long high tread on the edge of the tyres)! other prob is that when you do lean into a turn they just flop in, carving turns just does'nt happen.

bottom line is (sorry maxxis) they're cr@p. the UK mags gave them a bad write up and i have to say i really agree. i'd have been well p@ssed if i'd actually bought them!

i'd give em' zero chillis but mtbr don't give me that option!!

Favorite Trail:   west penwith moors

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   tiogas... mud and xc

Bike Setup:   marin m.vision 01 model. race face low risers, hope xc4, tioga xc going back on as soon as!

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Portland, Oregon

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2000

Strengths:    Very light weight.
    Fast rolling and accelerating.
    Great road feel and feedback as a front tire.

Weaknesses:    Very rapid wear as a rear tire. My rear tire has worn out after 450 miles.
    Jittery handling for the first 100 miles when used front and back until the rear knobs began to wear down.
    Very expensive especially when considering the rapid wear.

Bottom Line:
    I liked these tires after they "broke in" after about 100 miles. Confident handling on single track. The front tire has almost a gyroscope effect-it continuously is forcing you to stay on line. Great on pavement, hardpack, loose soil, damp conditions but not mud. I was immediately able to climb hills using the next higher gear then the one I would normally use due to the reduced rolling resistance. I could also descend familiar trails at a faster speed with more control. Unfortunately, this performance doesn't last for very long. Best performance was between about 100 and 300 miles. I expect about 750 miles of life out of the front tire. I do not recommend that this tire be used on the rear due to the rapid wear and initial tricky handling until the knobs wear down a bit. Use the Wormdrive instead.(My rear tire is a slick after 450 miles.)My rating is therefore for use as a front tire only. I think there are better values out there. This tire, as Maxxis states, should be used for racers only.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hard Rock FS

Submitted by Simon a Racer from Rimouski, Quebec

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2000

Strengths:    Wicked light (380g)
    Low rolling resistance
    Good traction in loose stuff, roots, rocks and mud
    Resistant to flats

Weaknesses:    Racing tire = doesn't last long

Bottom Line:
    These tires are A-WEE-S-OME!!!!! They are wicked light which makes a huge difference in the climbs, but still gripp really well for a 1.9" tire. You don't need any other racing tire except for semi-slicks for hard pack conditions. Try them, you won't be disapointed. Right now I have 110 km on them and the rear tire is starting to show a bit of wear on the knobs. I figure that I'll be able to milk 200-300 km out of them. They are a race only tire, so you can't expect them to last any longer!

I used them with maxxis ultralight tubes at 55 psi (I weight 205lbs) and no flats at all! Anyways, so far so good!

Bottom line: Great racing tire!

Later.

Simon

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   IRC mythos XC, Michelin wildgripper, Specialized ground control, All kinds of racing tires...

Bike Setup:   Argon 18 MTB 3DB, go see my post in the front suspension section for details

Submitted by June Mizoguchi a Cross Country Rider from Elizabethtown, KY, USA

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2000

Strengths:    Fast!! and good grip on hard pack trail and loose trail.

Weaknesses:    Soft compound = won't last forever

Bottom Line:
    I'm using Minataur for the front and Worm Drive in the rear. When I fist go Minataur tires, I used as F/R but I began to find out, using for rear was bad idea. Too soft to use as Rear. As even Maxxis recommend to use Worm Drive as combination and it is awesome. If you are looking for speed then here is the setup for Racing that will pass your oponents in no time. I just keep rolling and rolling. In the wet/mud Minataur (front) can handle but, mud wont clear up too much. As of rear as worm drive you will know.. not great. .. Have fun and try it.. expensive but it does the job very well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Otter Creek park