Home | Reviews | Tire | Maxxis

Maxxis Larsen TT Tire

3.79/5 (104 Reviews)

Redesigned in a 2.35" by Steve Larsen (atThe request of Brian Lopes and Mike King who both raced onThe 2.00TT but wanted a largerTire volume for more contact patch),The 2.35 offersThe same great ramped, square knob design and butyl protected sidewalls. Ideal for use on hardpack, loose-over-hardpack, or medium soil. Type: Front or RearWeight: 640gMax PSI: 65

Submitted by Glen a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2013

Strengths:    Fast over most surfaces, great wear, very good on hard pack and loose over.

Weaknesses:    Soft clay mud

Bottom Line:
Great tire for dry conditions

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Submitted by Onpar a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2013

Strengths:    These are for sure fast rollers over road, hardpack, and loose over hard. Avoid mud at all costs, as it is not a shedder of it., especially clays. Cornering in some loose gravel has, at times, not inspired confidence, and that is speaking from use on a hard tail where you can put all of your weight down into the tire. But overall a good tire if you ride in the right conditions. They also wear very nicely. These came stock on my bike.

Weaknesses:    Mud and big loose ground.

Bottom Line:
In short, these are a good option if you are riding in dry conditions.

Favorite Trail:   Sichuan mountains, China

Duration Product Used:   >100miles

Purchased At:   Giant store

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC hard tail.

Submitted by Robert Martinez a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2013

Strengths:    Smooth and fast rolling. Just exactly what i bought them for. The also perform well on hard pack and occasional loose gravel. I have not had any issues over the first hundred miles.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Great tires and a great value.

Favorite Trail:   hardpack to loose

Duration Product Used:   100 miles

Purchased At:   Blue sky cycling

Similar Products Used:   Panaracers, WTB, Specialized.

Bike Setup:   26 inch custom, disc brake.

Submitted by Bridger a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2012

Strengths:    Best tire for hardpack
Good in Dry conditions
Fast rolling

Weaknesses:    Mud is its enemy

Bottom Line:
Had this tire for about six months now. It is probably one of the best if not the best tire for hardpack. It rolls incredibly fast. The only weakness to this tire is mud. If you live in an area with MUD don't get this tire, you will hate it. It was meant for dry hardpack conditions, not the wet and muddy conditions. For where I live it's dry 90% of my riding season so it works great. If you ride hardpack get this tire.

Submitted by Flava Dave a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2012

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance for a 2.3 tire--makes riding to the trailhead a bit easier. Fast tire on hardpack, granite, etc.

Weaknesses:    No grip in anything but dry conditions. Corner poorly in loose conditions.

Bottom Line:
I don't have a car. I therefore largely only have access to trails I can bike to. These tires came stock on my new bike, and seemed at first a good compromise for rolling well enough to bike to and from the trailhead, but also providing enough bite to handle the trails. The Larsens looked good on paper but came up short in practice. If everything you ride is dry hardpack, and little or no rain finds its way to your trails, these would be a good tire. If, however, you encounter mud and puddles and damp roots and rocks, or anything that isn't dry southwest riding conditions, you will quickly come to loathe these tires. These things have no traction in wet, loamy forest trails, and wet roots will become your worst enemy. They climb fairly well if it's dry and the trail surface isn't too loose or root strewn. They break away easily when cornering in anything loose.

I've put a year on these and am replacing them in a few days. I tried running them at different air pressures, and while they handle better on loose stuff and provide some better traction on rocks and roots at lower volumes, you only end up suffering for it on the smoother sections.

If you're willing to put in the time, effort and cash to change your tires frequently depending on riding conditions, maybe these would work better for you in targeted circumstances. That's a luxury I can't afford. My tires have to be much better balanced, and the Larsen TTs don't cut it for me.

Submitted by Kanza a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight for high volume.
Fast rolling.

Weaknesses:    Side grip.
Mud clearing (many rides have wet patches)

Bottom Line:
The Larsens work well on DRY HARDPACK, they are very fast for such a high volume tyre (2.3's F/R)

I'm finding the Larsens disappointing, there is a lot to like in terms of their speed - they really are fast with very low rolling resistance even with low pressures and large volume. However there really is not enough side grip at all, these tyres dont like to be lent over at speed, they will wash out and do not like to re-grip when pushed that hard. Feels like the tyre needs a bigger side knob's to get some bite as I'm constantly riding 'off the edge' of these even with a 2.3's on narrow (standard) rims there simply is not enough side bite.

Tried running them reversed, which improves bite a little but rip them to shreds over the stones, gravel and hardpack. One ride and ripping knobs off.

They tend to grip, then slip, pinging off things and not biting. Up tech climbs when it gets tough standing on the peddles they will break traction stopping the bike in its tracks. Cant handle the braking forces of 200 plus MM rotors very well with a low braking 'limit'..... Put simply, the grip's just not there when you need it most.

Up to a point these tyres are very good. If your just trail riding, they are great, good acceleration, fast rolling...but if your really pushing through corners I would look to something else.

Brought these as a general tyre to use for riding but took them off and will keep for long rides along fire roads and smooth stuff.

Purchased At:   ChainReaction

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis high rollers, Minnions. Michelins various. Schwalbe Rocket Ron's, Bontrager and Intense.

Bike Setup:   Enduro/avalanche
Cove G-Spot, Marzocchi 66 RCV, Fox VanR etc.

Submitted by 100k a Cross Country Rider from Puerto Galera,Orietal Mindoro,Philippines

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2012

Strengths:    Very good in pave, low rolling resistance.

Weaknesses:    I got 2 times flat tire during the race in the trail. this tire is not good for WTB LASER DISC RIM combination. Ive used this rim with Maxxis Cross Mark(folded) but i never get flat during my training in the same trail. I and my mechanic study the reason why i got flat twice and we found out that the inner tube was being slitted by the WTB LASER DISC RIM..My tire pressure is 25 Psi During the training and actual race.
i got twice slip in loose over hard pack during the race. weak in cornering

Bottom Line:
Good tire in pave, weak in cornering, good price in Philippines,

Favorite Trail:   La mesa Water Reserve

Purchased At:   Bike king Manila

Bike Setup:   XC

Submitted by bigjp a Weekend Warrior from Cedar Hills, Utah, USA

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2011

Strengths:    Rolls and hooks up great on PAVEMENT! (what a SAD SAD statement for a mtb tire) I also found the reviews that said it hooks up decent on hard-packed trails but breaks loose in corners. What tire doesn't hook up reasonably on hard-packed trails (even a compleetly bald tire will hook up on hard packed trails and break loose on corners!!!)

Weaknesses:    The out side cornering nobs are almost non existent (they are actually smaller then the center nobs!!), so attempting to lean the bike over on the side knobs results in an instant rear wheel drift. If you like to lean your bike as you should when turning this is not the tire for you! They are squirley at 32 psi, and bounce and deflect off of the slightest bump at 34 psi.

Bottom Line:
I have never disliked a tire more then this one! This review is for the 2.35 60a version of this tire, and all my testing was on an extremely hard-packed dirt, with a tiny amount of loose gravel in a few spots (should have been perfect conditions for these tires). I picked this tire up on clearance intending to run it on the rear of my DJ hard-tail, but it was just a hair too tall fit without rubbing. I decided to try it on the back of my 160mm travel trail bike. On very smooth hard packed trails while going in a straight line this tire did OK (note a completely bald tire would also do OK on this type of terrain) But any type of bump at speed caused the tire to bounce and deflect, and any type of cornering at speed caused the back end to break loose and drift. On wide fire roads this was kind of fun as I had lots of room to deal with the drifting but, but I had to cut my normal speed in half on tight single track and they still broke loose more then any other tire I have ever used. It also bounced all over the place. Bottom line is their are faster rolling similarly priced tires that corner much much better and don't bounce all over the place (Mutano 2.4 comes to mind, also if you clip or wear down the center nobs on a high roller it will roll just as well and rail any corner you throw it into). In the end I put this tire where it belongs on my 10 year old sons Walmart bike that only sees road use, as it was a small step above the tires it came with!

Favorite Trail:   GoosBerry Mesa

Purchased At:   Blue Sky Cycling

Similar Products Used:   Maxis High roller 2.35, Kenda nev 2.35, and 2.1, Kenda Excivator 2.35, WTB Mutano 2.4 tcs, WTB Weirwolf 2.1, Schwalbe HansDampf 2.35, Specalized Enduro Pro 2.4, Specalized Escar 2.35

Bike Setup:   160mm fs trail bike with mavic ex823 rims

Submitted by Pressman a Racer from Miami, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2011

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance, excellent traction and longevity, excellent feedback from the ground

Weaknesses:    Availability, they sell fast so shop in advance. Not as light weight as simmilar tyres, but the performance makes up for it.

Bottom Line:
Excellent performance, gives the rider the edge. The 26 X 2.35 gives the traction and tracking of a wide tire, feel of a medium tire and rolling resitance of a narrow tire....great combination

Favorite Trail:   Oleta River

Purchased At:   Internet Web Site /

Similar Products Used:   Maxiss Cross mark, Specialized resolution

Bike Setup:   Specializes XC Pro - Fox Float RL & RP23, Shram. Larsen TT LUST 26 X 2.35 front and 26 X 2.2 rear

Submitted by photoBear a Cross Country Rider from Bendigo,Victoria,Australia

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2011

Strengths:    Fast rolling
Fairly light
good as both front & rear
great on hardpack, fast grippy lateral and up hill
great on rock due to softness
good on dry roots (wet not tested yet)
great on loose gravel over hardpack
good in shallow sand
Exelent stopping power
Takes a lot to make it wash out (for me)
Good price
Looks good to my tastes

Weaknesses:    Not very good in mud
might wear quickly on the rod to my favorite tracks (time will tell)
I'd like them in 2.1

Bottom Line:
Where I ride is a lot of dry hardpack, some loose gravel over hardpack, rocky, exposed roots, some sand and sometimes deep leaf litter but not much mud. Allmost always hilly.

I ride long distances cross country nearly every day, I'm probably not not the most agressive rider but plenty of hard slogging up hills. The Larsens seem to be Ideal to my style and terrain.

I can not fault them on hardpack, rock or when there is a bit of loose gravel, they climb well roll fast, mot quite as fast as the small blocks but fast enough, much better when its loose and less tendancy to wash out.

The only trouble I've encountered is with mud but for me that's a non issue. I'd have liked them as 2.1s like the small blocks but 2.0 seems fine.

I'll have to wait and see how they wear

I would rate them at a 5 for my own use but taking into concideration that other people will ride in mud and deep sand id have to give them a 4, a high 4

Favorite Trail:   Diamond hill, Crusoe Res, Big hill

Similar Products Used:   Kenda small block eight, Geax evolutions (old style) various others

Bike Setup:   08 Norco Charger with xt shifters, xt chain & rear sprocket fitted otherwise stock.

Submitted by jimziky a Weekend Warrior from socal

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2011

Strengths:    great grip with smoothness

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
i am well impressed with these i run them at 30psi and have had no trouble whatsoever

Purchased At:   cl

Similar Products Used:   conti, kenda, mitch, wtb

Bike Setup:   aggresive xc

Submitted by mmmolchan a Cross Country Rider from granite bay, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2010

Strengths:    fast roller, great braking, reasonable weight 520g

Bottom Line:
i will not put anything else on my bike. i know exactly what these can do. i run the exception 2.0 non-tubeless on stans rims TUBELESS @ 28-30psi. i weigh 155 lbs on a 24 lb bike. ridden in the sand in monterey, lava rock in the high desert in sparks, and around tahoe and sierra foothills. been using them for over 4 years. those who wash out with them push too hard or don't weight the bike correctly. they do work better with good finesse and riding skills and lower pressure. one pair will last me several years of 1 or 2 rides a week. originally bought them because kabush raced them.

Favorite Trail:   the dirty one

Purchased At:   maxxis

Bike Setup:   sc superlight, stans notubes rims

Submitted by Bill Gill a Cross Country Rider from Sydney Australia

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2010

Strengths:    great accelaration,stable feel when at speed.good sidewall protection, go well in sand.

Weaknesses:    not confidence inspiring on loose corners, once it breaks loose on climbs hard to stop/save and still stay on the gas to maintain speed and momentum

Bottom Line:
I run these tires pretty hard (tire pressure) both on the front and back of bike. The speed of the mark is great, accelerate well, hold a good line at speed downhill, recover well when deflected of roots,rocks etc. I'm not keen to corner to hard on the loose stuff.Climb well in the saddle but don't standup because they will break loose in the blink of an eye.Will be playing with tire presures to see what I can achieve in the near future.Good XC tire but still not inspiring me to corner hard on loose stuff. Keen to try the Continental 2.2 Trail Kings when I get sick of playing around with these.

Favorite Trail:   South Side of Sydney, Appin, Heathcote