Home | Reviews | Tire | Maxxis

Maxxis Ignitor Tire

3.81/5 (93 Reviews)

The Maxxis Ignitor Mountain Bike Tire's wide spaced tread sheds mud and rocks like mad, so you can rip in full-on mank without your bike gaining weight every five feet. Pentagon-shaped nobbs and a medium tread compound help you corner well in a wide range of trail conditions. With many World Cup victories under its belt, this Maxxis tire gets the job done on race day.

Submitted by red bank rider

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2013

Strengths:    Light, rolls fast, a good race tire for DRY conditions. It's like using racing slicks in dry conditions.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't shed wet dirt mud or sand very well. It's like using racing slicks in wet conditions. Sucks if the condition are anything but dry.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 29er 2.1 version. I think for the budget XC racer, this is a great choice. It's relatively cheap, is comparatively light for 29er XC tires out there so it's a budget weight weenie pick. And rolling resistance is quite impressive in DRY conditions. (sand, hardpack, dirt, clay). It also performs well over rocks, logs, cornering berms.
Where these tires really fail is if the conditions get wet. Everything sticks to these tires (sand, dirt, clay, mud, ice) and they don't shed any of it well. My best comparison is racing slicks used for motorcycles or racecars on asphalt race tracks...they are awesome in dry conditions , grip well and are very predictable. But if there's any rain, the last thing you'd ever want is to use slicks in the rain cause the grip is gone. Same thing with the ignitors...in the wet, it gets so caked up, any semblance of tread or knob or grip is gone. I think these are are condition specific light, fast XC tires for dry conditions, but not a versatile all-around tire choice.

Submitted by John Buswell

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2012

Strengths:    Predictable. Suits loose, dusty conditions. Corners well.

Weaknesses:    Quite narrow. Fair bit of rolling resistance due to knob design (as would be expected with MTB tyre however).

Bottom Line:
I run these tyres front and back. I find they respond well and can take the dry dusty conditions that most of my local trails offer. They are predictable and give enough warning when grip is being lost to save it. Other tyres often give out to quickly in the dusty conditions. They corner and climb quite well also.

It could possibly be a good idea to run something wider on the front but they still feel quite capable as a set.

Submitted by PinkGorillaCycles

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2012

Strengths:    Corners well Especially in loose conditions. Squarish profile works well for me.

Weaknesses:    Maybe not the fastest roller. I think the benefit of the extra speed through the turns more than makes up for it.

Bottom Line:
I've ridden lots of tires over the years. The profile of this tire tends to be one of my favorites. For me, it really bites the corners in all conditions. It's very predictable. I generally only use it on the front and use a WTB nanoraptor on the rear. It would be cool if they came out with a 2.35. Now that I'm not racing anymore I'd like a little more traction, cush, etc...

Submitted by Troy Fretwell

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2012

Strengths:    predictable, roll fast, corner well

Weaknesses:    expensive

Bottom Line:
I have tried a lot of tires, usually going through 2 or 3 of the latest/greatest each season.
The Ignitors have changed that.
These are my last choice for riding XC in Utah. They roll well, they are durable, and they are predictable.
Any tire will slip if pushed hard enough. The Ignitors grip really well, but when they do slip they do it in a predictable, controllable way - allowing you to recover. They don't just completely let go like many xc/freeride tires, dumping you on the ground before you even realize there is an issue.

Submitted by RIVER29 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2012

Strengths:    It's a tire

Weaknesses:    Everything! One of the worst tires I've ever bought.

Bottom Line:
I've always had the philosophy, since I'm not rich, that I would buy the best tires I could afford and replace as necessary. I have rode on a lot of cheap tires. This time I decided to buy what my LBS recommended regardless of cost. They sold me a Maxxis Ardent front (an awesome tire) and a Ignitor for the rear. This tire is insanely crappy. Things that I got used to being able to pedal up on my WTB Weirwolves (a cheap tire) are no longer possible. A rock with dust on it will make it spin for sure, god forbid you hit an off angle root. Pinch flat on my first ride. Rolls slow. I could go on but I think I've made my point.

Purchased At:   Full Cycle

Submitted by citiznkain

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2012

Strengths:    - Treads worked better than the stock Kenda's on my bike
- Had better stopping power when coming around fast corners when only using the front brake to avoid sliding out.

Weaknesses:    - tire size is smaller than my original set of tires. my stock tires were a 2.1 as are these. however the tire height is around 1.5" from the rim to the edge of the tire tread.

Bottom Line:
I ended up picking this tire as an emergency fix at a bike race i was doing today. I accidentally put the front tire of my bike to close to the exhaust pipe of my car. needless to say it melted the tire, tube, rim tape, and the crap plastic reflector. I was able to pick this up and race. it worked better than i expected, especially since i put it on literally 3 minutes before my race began. i just wish the tire was a little more beefier. other than that the tire is solid.

Submitted by rclugnut a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2012

Strengths:    rolls very well, fairly light weight

Weaknesses:    a little loose in the wet stuff

Bottom Line:
These came stock on my kona blast and intially i wasn't too impressed they were a little too loose especially in the rear for my liking, i was also riding in fairly wet conditions at the time, fast forward to this summer after running nevegals all around i drop these on and i feel like somone turbo charged my bike the roll wayy better than the nevegals in dry conditions they work great hook up well hold a corner well and are very predicatble the rear can get a little bouncy and pops off stuff here and there but it's always very precitable and you learn to expect it and keep riding through it. for more agressive/faster riding i have nevegal up front and an ignitor out back, as i started to feel the ignitor starting to lose a bit of grip through some turns on sandy hard pack, the ignitor out back is a champ tho and if you know how to ride (i have gotten significantly better since i first ran these tires) they will treat you well and will be very fast and shouldn't give you any traction issues unless you're bogging through the mud all day long

Submitted by PeT

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2012

Strengths:    Great front tire, wears exceptionally well, sets up tubeless easily

Bottom Line:
The round profile of the tire works well in the front for leaning into corners. There's the right amount of knobbiness for dry and loose conditions. I've yet to ruin either of my Ignitors and they end up getting put back on when I try other tires as the others get cut or don't work as well. In the rear, you can tell it's a knobby because of the road buzz through the saddle and consequently I like it as a front specific tire.

Submitted by photoBear a Cross Country Rider from Bendigo,Victoria,Australia

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2011

Strengths:    Confidence inspiring cornering grip
givesd a lot of feedback,
warns you well before it's going to break loose
Rolling resistance is good, maybe not great but I've been spoiled by small block 8, larsen tt & crossmark
light weight

Weaknesses:    smaller than listed size, (if that matters to you) more like 2.0 than 2.1.

Bottom Line:
Nothing inspires confidence like an early waning that you're getting close to the limits of grip. This tyre will give you fair warning that you’re getting close to the limits of grip and gives you time to correct.

Up front : I’ve found that there is plenty of grip in corners with plenty of feedback, it leans in well and progressively, braking is solid and well controlled. I’m really fond of the handling characteristics of this tyre, it’s more a matter of controllable, progressive handling rather than outright grip. It might be smaller than it claims to be but it doesn’t feel like it has lost anything by it. Works very well on all of the surfaces I ride, dry hardpack, gravel/sand over hardpack, lose over hardpack, rock and soft soil

At the rear: There is loads of climbing traction when the pressure is right, 32psi for me at around 160lb on all of the surfaces I ride, dry hardpack, gravel/sand over hardpack, lose over hardpack, rock and soft soil, but I prefer it up front and something faster on the rear like a cross mark/Larsen/sb8

I find it to be a good combination with ignitor, front and Larsen/cross mark rear. I would recommend this tyre to beginners looking to enhance their cornering confidence as well as more experienced riders looking for cornering speed and playing with slides because it wont just slip out from under you.

I’m very happy with this tyre, it doesn’t suffer by being a bit smaller than 2.1 in fact it might be lighter and faster for it.

Favorite Trail:   Diamond hill, Crusoe Res, Big hill

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   larsen tt, crossmark, small block 8

Bike Setup:   hardtail, 07 Norco fireball frame, 08 charger componants with xt shifters, hg 619 cassette.

Submitted by cassava a Weekend Warrior from Jakarta, Indonesia

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2011

Strengths:    roll fast on tarmac and dry soil.

Weaknesses:    doesn't have any traction on muddy soil.

Bottom Line:
This tires roll lightly on tarmac and have a great performance on dry soil. But you will meet its weakness on muddy terrain.

Favorite Trail:   UI wood

Purchased At:   my friend

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   Wimcycle C-One frame (Made in Indonesia), Shimano Acera groupset.

Submitted by giant a Weekend Warrior from duvall wa USA

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2011

Strengths:    it grips very well on hard packed dirt and on bike ladders.
its great for my mix of street, dirt jumps, and slight dh. it hooks up in silty dry crap.

Weaknesses:    it does wear a bit quick but come on, when your demanding so much from a tire its gonna go sometime...not so good in super tacky mud.

Bottom Line:
i would recommend this to someone who wants to use their jump bike year round. it grips great everywhere.

Favorite Trail:   hlc at duthie hill

Purchased At:   jenson usa

Similar Products Used:   lots of stuff.

Bike Setup:   p1 set up for jumps and anything else.

Submitted by peterpaulmary a Weekend Warrior from dallas texas us

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2011

Strengths:    Great grip on loose rocks and when you lock up the brakes the tire doesn't wear down or heat up. Great grip on most things

Weaknesses:    Not very good on wet slipperry rocks or muddy downhils

Bottom Line:
These are great tires but if you are going to go to colorado to do the extreme trails lower the pressure to about 40 psi all around.

Favorite Trail:   north shore

Purchased At:   dallas bikes works

Bike Setup:   Kona dawgana muontian aluminum gutted

Submitted by 85jeepcj7 a Cross Country Rider from Maine

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2011

Strengths:    Great for hard pack, loose gravel, and some mud/rock use.

Weaknesses:    Mud packs in the tires a lot reducing traction, not great on wet rocks, sand, or snow.

Bottom Line:
Great all around tire on almost any surface. This tire lasted 2 years for me even with fairly heavy use. Not bad rolling resistance at 60 psi but anything less than that kinda sucks.

Purchased At:   Northern Lights in F

Bike Setup:   2008 Kona blast

Submitted by doctuhjay a Racer from Arlington, MA

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2011

Strengths:    None, that I can think of...wait, it sealed really easily, so setup was a cinch.

Weaknesses:    Bought this as a more all purpose XC tire as it was going to be a slippery week. I was running Stan's the Raven 2.2's. They never slip, even when it's wet. Put these on for anticipated extra grip and they all went sideways over every silly little root. Sucked. Tried the Stan's tires for comparison after a local XC race and they were 100 times better on slimy east coast roots than these tires. And the Stan's have minimal, minimal tread.

Also, these wash out in any corner, even damp hardpack.

Bottom Line:
Setup easy, terrible for rock and root east coast cross country races.

Favorite Trail:   Willowdale State Park

Bike Setup:   GF SF100

Submitted by Asmodean a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2011

Strengths:    Superb grip, great strength and resistance to flats. Quick rolling.

Weaknesses:    Wears really quick on a rear tyre under a heavy engine (95-100kg. Very sensitive to changes in PSI.

Bottom Line:
Set up correctly these are a fantastic tyre. Phenomenal grip and impressive resistance to punctures and damage.

Under me the rear wheel wore shockingly quick, however the front is still going strong 2500 - 3000 km later.

These tyres, while under 29-34 Psi have been a revelation. As mentioned if you stray outside that Psi window, they become either puncture magnets or slippery as...

With the pressure too high, they seem to deflect off roots and stones, twisting the bars away from your line as well as sliding off any kind of off flat rocks you try to track across.

Maxxis Ignitor EXO Tire 2.35 / BB7 Brakes

Maxxis Ignitor EXO Tire 2.35 $24.98 [url=http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/23956-320_MAXIG2-3-Parts-73-Tires/Mountain/Maxxis-Ignitor-EXO-Tire.htm]Maxxis Ignitor EXO Tire at Price Point[/url] Also Avid BB7 caliper/rotor 160mm for $39.98! [url=http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm?stylePkey=1 ... Read More »

29r Maxxis Ignitor, impressions/experiences?

variation on the "best tire for the front range" theme, but I recently replaced my rear with the Maxxis Ignitor 29 x2.10 and it seems to be letting down on hard surface climbing, spining out on waterbars and rocks more than the previous tire. Perhaps I just suck, but anyone else running these? What ... Read More »

Ignitor equivalent in case of blister

I use a 29x2.1 Ignitor for the front and 29x2.2 Ikon exo/exc/3c for the rear which has been a great combination for me all season. My Ikon finally developed the dreaded huge blister in it but I have a couple more of those and a couple of crossmarks to burn through before I need to get more rear ti ... Read More »

Maxxis Ignitor 2.3

Just bought some replacements for my worn out 2.1's and.... NO RAMPED CENTER LUG Why Maxxis why? For the love of god why? Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2Read More »

Maxxis IKON or Ignitor for rear all over Colorado and UT?

Looking for a recommendation for the type of rocky mt riding - Currently running an Ardent 2.25 rr and Rampage 2.35 frt (29ers). Have held up well but I would suggest the Ardent is a wee bit sluggish on the rear and straightline grip could be a bit better - been durable and no issues with all t ... Read More »