Home | Reviews | Tire | Maxxis

Maxxis Hookworm Tire

4.69/5 (62 Reviews)

The Maxxis Hookworm isThe ultimate street/ramp/urban assaultTire for your 26" bike. It uses Maxxis' downhill specific casingTo resist pinch flats, andThe huge air volumeTakesThe edge off awkward landings. Whether you're atThe skate park or just ridingTo class,ThisTire won't let you down. 60a durometer ensures long life, even on paved surfacesWire beadCurved grooved slick design RimTo rimTread-protected sidewalls 65 Max PSI

Submitted by Petti the Yeti a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2014

Strengths:    -Very smooth
-Fast rolling
-Quiet
-High pressures (65 max)
-Asphalt/Concrete performance
-Absorbs 90 degree impacts well, even at higher pressures

Weaknesses:    -Deflects over rocks and sticks in the road because of the flat treads. Knobs kind of grip around such obstacles.
-If you aren't within a few degrees of 90 when you hit a ledge or curb, the tire likes to slide sideways a little before grabbing. Make sure you bunny hop high enough, as this almost sent me off the bike a couple of times.
-A little spendy for a semi-slick.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding a 7" FR bike with a 1x9 drive, commuting a couple of miles to campus and to goof around between classes. I had WTB Dissent 26x2.5 @ 55 psi on before, and would be really pushing to spin up to my 4th gear on the streets, because of how badly they rolled. With these Hookworm 26x2.5 @ 55 psi, I'm consistently spinning in 5th or 6th gear, no problems.

They are very smooth and quiet. The only time I hear tire buzz is when I go flying through a very tight tunnel on campus, and even then, it's mostly my rear hub clicking away. No more knobby vibration, either. Well maintained roads and cycling paths feel smooth as glass underneath you.

They grip very well, even at speed through sandy corners in the street. Brake slides are smooth and easy to control. Low speed balance is much easier than with knobs, as the tread is almost perfectly circular instead of notched with gaps between the knobs.

I did have issues with the tires bouncing off small rocks and sticks, causing me to go off course a couple of times. Didn't have that issue with the Dissents, but kind of expected between a slick vs knob comparison. The tires also slide out of line if you mistime a bunny hop trying to clear a curb, and aren't riding straight into it at 90 degrees. Had this happen twice the first time out with these tires and almost launched myself off the bike, but my suspension saved me.

I think the price could be lower for what is basically a less beefy moped tire, which only cost about 30 dollars themselves.

I haven't used this tire on any trails, so I can't comment on off road ability. Asphalt and concrete performance is spectacular, though. May end up buying a set to put on my BMX to test at the local skate park and see how they work. Will definitely buy for the FR again.

Purchased At:   Bullseye Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Banshee Chaparral with Maxxis Holy Roller 26x2.2 - Similar ride quality, but much less pedaling ability.

Bike Setup:   Transition Dirtbag, Fox DHX 5.0 Coil, RS Totem Solo Air 180mm, Azonic Outlaws, Maxxis Hookworm 26x2.5

Submitted by Stuart Becker a Weekend Warrior from Kansas City, MO, USA

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2011

Strengths:    INCREDIBLE grip on cement. Pretty good grip on dry dirt, but sucks in the rain.

Weaknesses:    Wears a bit fast due to the soft compound.

Bottom Line:
If you ride mostly cement or asphalt these are glorious. Running these in both the front and rear, I can practically lay the bike over before it loses its grip! I imagine this is due to the tread continuing all the way around the tire sides. These have incredible air volume in which you can actually notice the cushion they provide when landing! Despite the large size, these have fairly low rolling resistance when pumped up to higher pressures (40 - 60 psi). This is due to the very rounded shape and respective low contact area with the ground when at these pressures. I even let some air out and ride these on dirt, where they perform pretty well, considering their lack of knobs!

In the rain, however, the tire doesn't grip nearly the same; who would have thought : )

Bike Setup:   ***Note: 26 x 2.5" tested***

Submitted by hunold a Weekend Warrior from Glendale, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2010

Strengths:    speed, agility, up to 65 psi pressure

Weaknesses:    none, so far

Bottom Line:
NOTE: tested 26x2.5

These tires are a perfect match for our 500-600 lbs gross weight tandem in the urban jungle. Quick due to:
1) a huge wheel diameter (26x2.5 OD = 700x25 !)
2) perfectly round tire cross section
3) high pressure capacity - relatively narrow contact patch for a tire this wide

Favorite Trail:   Pemberton

Purchased At:   modernbike.com

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis High roller semislick

Bike Setup:   Ventana tandem El Conquistador de las montanas with Sun MTX MTB rims, running the 26x2.5 hookworms.

Submitted by jrentie a Weekend Warrior from Broken Arrow, OK

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2010

Strengths:    This feeling tires. I'm not sure what tubes the guy that had the bike before me was running but I wouldn't worry about these things going flat any time soon. VERY grippy. I was a little leery of how they would handle but on pavement these things hold their ground. Great for cornering.

Weaknesses:    A little slippery on wet pavement but for the most part they keep their grip. Mud? Forget it... went to a local jump track after a rain, which probably wasn't a good idea but if you want to know what it's like to sling a rooster tail like a car stuck in a ditch, take these tires off road.

Bottom Line:
in a park or commuting with a sweet DJ style bike have at it! I wouldn't recommend anything else! These things are the shiz and definitely worth money... had I actually paid money for them. Like mentioned before there is someone of a grippy feel to even the "smooth" part of the tire which does really grab the road. The traction is second to none IMO. but if you're looking for a tire that is good on and offroad then look somewhere else I think there are better "in between" tires out there. I plan on going back with Holy Rollers but I don't want to totally knock these either. I almost want another set of wheels so I can at least keep these for when I know I'm just going to be riding around the city.

5 value chillies cause they're worth the money
4 chillies cause they don't suit my main intent which is off the pavement.

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   holy rollers, bontagers,

Bike Setup:   Single speed Kona Shred, blah blah blah yadda yadda.... too much to list.

Submitted by H MAN a Cross Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2010

Strengths:    averything
awsome tyre
ultra smooth
ultra quiet
found a screw in the tread didnt go through

Weaknesses:    some say heavy but for this performance not for me.

Bottom Line:
grat tyre used in mud wet and dry great fun works better with a halo rim. more rigid.

Favorite Trail:   ones that can kill

Purchased At:   unknown

Bike Setup:   full sus

Submitted by Zilo a Weekend Warrior from Reno

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2009

Strengths:    Rolls fast and smooth awesome cornering capability, large air volume

Weaknesses:    heavy

Bottom Line:
I bought this tire for my daily commutes to school and work. It is amazing, Rolls super fast and the wide 2.5 width and huge air volume gives it outstanding grip on the road, even when wet. It absorbs all the imperfections in the road making my commutes much more comfortable and fun. A really good buy, Perfect for commuters or urban freeriders.

Favorite Trail:   Anything fast

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   various warn down MTB tires

Bike Setup:   07 Iron Horse Yakuza Chimpira, shimano XT drivetrain, 06 manitou nixon

Submitted by Jekyll Rider NO.1 a Racer from Cheltenham, England

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2009

Strengths:    Superb grip. Fast and silent running. Great tracking. Durable.

Weaknesses:    Heavy.

Bottom Line:
I love these tyres ! I only ride the streets - usually as fast as I can. The grip and security they have given me are second to none. They are inflated to 40psi which provides a relatively firm flex free ride with good tracking and very little rolling resistance despite their width. The bike can be leant right over when cornering - fantastic fun ! Very few punctures. They are heavy - but a small sacrifice for all the advantages including good looks. A very good product.

Favorite Trail:   The street

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800. Kappa Xentis carbon fibre wheels. Lefty Speed 2. Fox Float RL. XT drivetrain. Hope Mini brakes. EC70 seatpost. Specialized Avatar saddle. Topeak Panaram V12 computer.

Submitted by L4m3r a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2009

Strengths:    Extremely fast and smooth (low rolling resistance).
Insane grip on asphalt and concrete. Lean over as far as you want in the corners.
Handles very well in the rain, haven't slipped yet!
Perfectly usable on grass, dirt, mud, etc, if you're gentle and careful.
Thick-walled and durable, tread goes right up to the bead.
26" x 2.5"- Good size for most modern/quality MTB frames and forks.
Nice look, too!

Weaknesses:    Heavy, but this tire was never meant for weight weenies.
Difficult to mount or remove.
Won't fit in some frames.
Thick tread/bead can be difficult for narrow rims. on my bike, the bead sorta pinches the valve stem inside the rim.
While the handling is excellent in wet weather, the tread of this tire will also pick up a LOT of water from the ground and fling it in every direction. Use some sort of fender on rainy days. I improvised and used a quick-release rack, wrapped in plastic, to keep my back dry.

Bottom Line:
Awesome. Superb handling in most conditions, smooth as glass, grips like you wouldn't believe. They even look sweet. Near indestructible when combined with the thick Maxxis 26" x 2.5"-2.7" DH tubes and run at high pressure- no flats yet! If you use your MTB to ride or commute in the city, get these. You won't be sorry- tires make a huge difference!

It's hard to tell from most of the photos online, but the "smooth" surface of this tire actually has a knurled texture. I'm guessing this is what makes it so grippy... I'm worried that the tires won't grip the pavement as well as that starts to wear down.

The 2.5" width seems rather large, but keep in mind that the lack of knobbies reduces the overall width a bit. On my bike, these tires have about the same frame clearance as a 2.35" Kenda Nevegal.

If you like this tire but don't think it will fit, or don't want to spend as much, look at the Panaracer Uff'Da. I had a pair on my last bike. They're not as nice as the Hookworms, but the design is similar and it comes in 26" x 2.3". It also happens to be a bit cheaper.

Favorite Trail:   Urban traveling

Purchased At:   biketiresdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Uff'Da

Bike Setup:   2008 GT Avalanche 2.0 w/ Avid Juicy Seven 203mm

Submitted by jaliyl a Downhiller from Kamloops, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2008

Strengths:    Everything

Weaknesses:    for some reason, i can't pedal my singlespeed strret rig up muddy trails, something to do with traction my bike shop tells me

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a street dedicated slick tire, the Hookworm is your best bet. Because of how they're constructed, and how "tall" the tire is, they really save your tubes. I run $5 Bontrager tubes and they haven't flatted once in 6 months. You can still spin flat or off something even when it's wet outside. bottom line, best street tire on the market.

Favorite Trail:   street

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   kenda slicks

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Specialist, singlespeed, DT Swiss FR2350's, Shimano 4 Piston rear brake (no Fr. brakesicle), Holzfeller cranksicles, ProTaper, glow-in-the-dark pedals, and Hookworms

Submitted by DirtGash a Downhiller from Bend, OR

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2008

Strengths:    Thick, fast, wide rubber with lots of grip... and the big all Hookworm graphics

Weaknesses:    None that I found.

Bottom Line:
For urban tires there is no substitute. I use these for commuting or doing any urban riding. They are really fast, and sticky grip for slicks. I even have used them in the dirt with pretty good traction for a slick.

Bike Setup:   Norco Rampage with lots of good stuff

Submitted by dawson a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2008

Strengths:    MINT

Weaknesses:    MINT

Bottom Line:
MINT

Favorite Trail:   Diamo

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   MINT

Bike Setup:   MINT

Submitted by Flatline G a Downhiller from Nashua, NH

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2008

Strengths:    Thick Rubber, Reinforced sidewalls, Bomber Grip.

Bottom Line:
Not heavy at all even at 2.5 width, sweet for drops and anything street. The fact that there is tread on the sidewall is great for durability.

Favorite Trail:   NE Style

Purchased At:   Eastern Mountain Spo

Similar Products Used:   K-Rads, Holy Rollers.

Bike Setup:   RMB Flow, Jucy Brakes, DJ 2 Fork, Sram Shifting

Submitted by Adrian a Racer from Romania, Bucharest

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2008

Strengths:    it's the best park tire i had ever tested but...it's very very VERY heavy!it has the best grip but it being so heavy it's a huge disadvantage

Weaknesses:    Heaviness and it took 3 mechanics to force in on my rim after 2 flats because i pinched the tube

Bottom Line:
perfect tire if it was lighter like 1 kg

Favorite Trail:   Park and street

Purchased At:   Bebe bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Holy Roller, high roller, mobster, tioga factory dh,continental diesel

Bike Setup:   Kona Cowan with dj1 sun wheels demolition cranks

Submitted by Hugz a Downhiller from Australia

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2008

Strengths:    Super tough, sticks to the pavement, wide useable tread area for better cornering and wears so well it looks like it will last forever.

Weaknesses:    heavy, but not that much more than the Maxxis Minion it replaces for urban riding

Bottom Line:
This thing is very wide for better traction and cornering aswell as being super thick so you just don't think about flats anymore. I run a front brake only for urban so without sliding around and I can tell you the rear tyre has lost about a 1mm of centre tread in a year! and I ride 4 times a week at least
It's heavy but as opposed to using a full-treaded dh tyre on the streets it literally flies.
I use these with maxxis' dh tubes and this setup is just bombproof.
Full marks to maxxis for answering all the urban riders prayers.