Home | Reviews | Tire | Maxxis

Maxxis Holy Roller Tire

4.54/5 (65 Reviews)

The Maxxis Holy Roller BMXTire is constructed of a steel bead and features an inverted semi-knobTread pattern. Inverted semi-knobTread pattern Item Specifications Tire Bead Steel ISO Diameter 406 ISO Width 44 mm ColorTread/Side Black/Black TireType Clincher Tire Diameter 20"

Submitted by 50calray a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2012

Strengths:    Durable, Semi-light, low rolling resistance for street and hard packed dirt.

Weaknesses:    Avoid lots of: Sand, Water, and Mud

Bottom Line:
I picked these tires up used wanting to experiment with a Urban/MTB tire. They had about 30 miles on them to start and I put just sightly over 100 miles my self (80% trail riding). I have cruised around down town Dallas, up/Down Katey trail (paved rec trail), and ridden 3 different mtb trails in the metroplex.

Cons: for obvious reason the Holly Rollers don't really preform well in mud, water, and sand. They will sometimes slip while leaning the bike real low in corners on hard packed trails.

Pros: durable, light weight, low resistance for street and hard pack trails. I mentioned water as a con but I have zero issues crossing small streams..

Over all I highly recommend these tires for the Urban Commando who is looking for both a solid commuting tire and an offroading tire for that occasional construction zone or short cut through vacant lots etc.

Favorite Trail:   Rowlett Creek Perserve

Purchased At:   used

Bike Setup:   Full Suspension KHS XC104

Submitted by Gabriel

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2012

Strengths:    Not many kinda strong

Weaknesses:    Week tire too expensive wears quickly highly susceptible to bubbles from coming down on an angle...not nearly as good as the dmr moot that tire is much better cost strength all around

Bottom Line:
Week tire not impressed and rather dissappointed from maxxis

Submitted by phdinfunk a Weekend Warrior from Puli, Nantou County, Taiwan

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2012

Strengths:    Rolls well over nearly anything. Good traction. Good bounce.

Weaknesses:    Heavy.

Bottom Line:
I'm using this as a front tire. Still using Kenda Kwik Roller on the rear for lower resistance where my weight sits.

I went out and rode 40k of backcountry mountainous Taiwan roads with this new tire on a rainy day.

Holy Roller was noticeably heavier than my previous Kenda KwikRoller front tire. I don't think the holy roller gets a lot of road resistance because I felt the weight on acceleration but it seemed to want to keep the momentum after I got it going. I have it near Max PSI.

I absolutely LOVED the fact that it stuck to the pavement everywhere and I could roll over uneven roads, rocks, cracks in the pavement, grooves in poorly-poured concrete farm roads... basically anything. Where I live, there are a lot of adventurous roads and single track.... not a lot of really high-quality roads. This tire improved my feeling of confidence on my bike. I tested it before my ride by breaking hard and also riding in some parking lots with gravelly old pavement or just sand and gravel. I also tested it riding over a lot of uneven ground, changes in pavement, etc.

I even did an intense little experiment. Outside of a temple are some marble steps about 2" high. I hit that wet marble at a very acute angle. The holy roller slid for a couple of inches little then caught and went up it. However, my Kenda in the rear slid hopelessly along the obstacle until I was much closer to straight on. It matters less in the rear though, as I'm fine with it sliding a bit (and I don't usually drive on wet polished marble). My Front Kenda had been sliding like this on uneven pavement and catching grooves in bad concrete for the last several months... Front tire slides = bad.

Overall I'm happy with this tire, drove faster with it, felt more comfortable with it, and believe I will keep it on this bicycle for a long time. I don't really think I would need a tire like this if I was just riding around town, or sticking to well-maintained roads. If I go for a very long ride on good roads, I will consider changing tires back to the Kenda. But for riding around stony cracked up concrete, old farm roads, rocky and sandy singletrack, this seems to give me what I was looking for.

Favorite Trail:   Either New Classique or Aqueduct.

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Similar Products Used:   The only other tires I've used are Kenda Kwik Rollers and Michelin Country Rocks.

Bike Setup:   OEM hybrid (Alu/C) hardtail frame. SLX class hardware. Wide bars, big barends.

Submitted by chuckbuck a Weekend Warrior from Sacramento CA

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2012

Strengths:    Rolls fast, surprisingly grippy, nice rubber compound, absolultley amazing on pavement even when rainy. Looks cool.

Weaknesses:    Probly not good in the mud but that is obvious, so, no weakness. Perfect tire for what its designed for.

Bottom Line:
If you use your bike for commuting as well as recreation off road, I don't think there is a better tire. Looks like a semi slick almost, but grips like crazy. I have no issues at all. I don't think it is UST though and some folks migh not like that. I personally like tubes and never want to go tubeless so it's not an issue for me. Awsome tire, buy one now.

Favorite Trail:   Darrington

Purchased At:   Mad Cat Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire Freeride (BRUTAL!) Kenda nevegal, pretty awsome.

Bike Setup:   2006 Specialized BIGHIT truvativ hussefelt, holy roller front nevegal rear, rhynolite front ditch witch rear (looking to replace). Marzzochi EXR Pro fork. Hayes HFX 9.

Submitted by Petti the Yeti a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2011

Strengths:    Grippy, Fast rolling, very plush

Weaknesses:    A little slippery on rooty climbs, or in wet spots

Bottom Line:
So far, I am very impressed with the 26x2.2 version of this tire. Bought them on a whim just to complete my Chap, and I don't regret it.

Took them out to a kind of jack-of-all-trades trail with a lot of slow ups, fast downs, and curly switchbacks. Only had a few threats of washing out over the downed leaves, and had a couple of rear wheel slips over roots while climbing, but they held true 95% of the time.

Taking drops and jumping with these feels like I am hitting a cloud, not accounting for the 5" travel of my frame. And even some of the longer DH runs felt perfectly fine on these, where previously, I was only fine on my Sunday with 2.5 Nevegals.

They do like to launch rocks and sticks in every direction if you hit them on the side part of the tread, though, so watch out.

Overall, I would recommend these for nearly anyone. XC over hardpack and rocks, Jumping in loose or grass, DH through gravel and dust, even commuting and touring wouldn't be too bad on these. They are definitely my new favorite tire.

5 for value
4 for the slippery condition performance

I'll update in a couple of months as they wear.

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Kwicks

Bike Setup:   Banshee Chap, mixed componentry, FSA Gravity wheelset with Holy rollers

Submitted by clarkenstein a Cross Country Rider from Somerset, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2011

Strengths:    Sticky - like a 5.10 shoe for your wheels

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
This tire is great for street. I was using knobbies for my urban riding and they are significantly faster, quieter, and they actually helped inspire a little more confidence in my riding just because I feel like they stick to everything I ride on.

I did take them out on singletrack and I will say, they did really well for me. It was a damp day, and there was some sections of mud on the trail. They held their line great 90% of the time. I had no issues going over slick roots or rocks, but when I hit a patch of mud, they were totally worthless. They shed mud instantly, but it's like riding on ice. I found just going as fast as possible through the mud made it easier, they just skated through, but if you have to turn, they are totally unpredictable in the muck. Otherwise, in damp/tacky soil they were actually pretty good for an x/c ride.

Favorite Trail:   Sourlands, NJ

Purchased At:   biketiresdirect.com

Bike Setup:   2011 Brodie Bruzza

Submitted by YetiSuperX a Downhiller from Aalborg, Denmark

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2011

Strengths:    Longlasting, high grip

Weaknesses:    Maybe a bit too much rolling resistance as front tire. Very little though

Bottom Line:
Superb rear tire! Longlasting is the thing that stands out the most. Very grippy too though and very effective even when pedalling very hard with clips. Oh, did I mention, very longlasting. Used the same tire for over a year now and it still looks almost like new. I'm very brutal with my tires.

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis DTH, IRC Siren, Schwalbe, Kenda

Bike Setup:   Yeti Super X, Sinz Pro Lite fork, Shimano DXR crank, Profile Elite hubs laced with DK SS spokes to Sun Ringlé Envy, S&M T3 Race bars, Maxxis DTH 1.95 front, Maxxis HolyRoller 1.75 rear

Submitted by lachie :D a Cross Country Rider from Mackay, QLD, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2011

Strengths:    great traction, low noise, rolls fast for such a wide tyre (i got the 26" x 2.4") LOOKS SICK hah XD

Weaknesses:    nothing ive found yet, and i dont think i will find anything!

Bottom Line:
this is by far the bestest looking, highest peforming and the best valued urban/dirt jump tyre on the market today! out performs the K-rad and small block 8 by a long shot and wears great. no loss of grip in wet or loose gravel, but stay away from mud, gets abit slippery...overall, BUY THESE TYRES!!!

Favorite Trail:   Anything urban or dirt

Purchased At:   EBAY hahaha

Similar Products Used:   small block 8, Kenda K-rad

Bike Setup:   2011 Giant Talon 3, Abr Diablo 6 45mm stem, green oversize cables, oversize discs, s-ram X0 rear derailer, HOLLY ROLLERS! and some blingy bits (: ....

Submitted by b-rad a Weekend Warrior from H-ville MI

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2011

Strengths:    There just not for me I guess. They look cool.

Weaknesses:    I have them in 26" and there just not great at any thing not real off road and not great for on. I guess I'm hooked on tires that you can run at allot of diff pressures and this one likes to be at max or else it dosnt corner well and I think it has allot of drag for the traction it provides.

Bottom Line:
I prob should have asked around more but by reading the reviews I thought they would be a little better.

Favorite Trail:   the one I'm on at the time...

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   I am back to a small block 8

Bike Setup:   Trek custom.

Submitted by that man with nice stuff a Downhiller from gresham, oregon

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2011

Strengths:    Very durable, long lasting, high traction and wonderful grip.

Weaknesses:    A little squishy for the larger sizes, Other than that they’re grate.

Bottom Line:
These tires are the cat’s meow. They are perfect all around tires and have never let me down. These tires are ideal for the commuter, street rider or hard core dirt jumper. I have found no issues with the traction when they are wet un like other tires like them.

Favorite Trail:   Sandy ridge

Similar Products Used:   Kenda k-rads (Witch suck)

Bike Setup:   Kona Shred

Submitted by dirt jumpster a Weekend Warrior from walla walla, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2011

Strengths:    great tread awesome grip on street, dirt, and skate parks

Weaknesses:    pinch flats if run at a low psi

Bottom Line:
the bottom line is that there is no reason you shouldnt be running these tires. these tires have great tread life great in wet/dry weather not so much mud but everything else its amazing i have only had one pinch flat since using these tires due to the fact that i forgot to fill my tires up before i went to the park and my tire went flat when i landed a 5 stair drop but since then i have had no problem with them since so here it is BUY THESE TIRES!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   downtown hotspots

Purchased At:   alegro bicycle shop

Bike Setup:   redline recon, maxxis holy roller in the rear Odyssey Mike Aitken P-Lyte Tire in the front

Submitted by chain_slap a Weekend Warrior from Oklahoma City

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2010

Strengths:    Long lasting tread, Rolls smooth on pavement, Versatility on terrain, Multiple diameters and widths, Handles sand pretty good if ran at a low PSI.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, 800 grams for 26x2.2, Traction isn't good when wet.

Bottom Line:
Can't beat these for a street, trails, park machine. They are a bit heavy, but the sidewall is very durable compared to other tires. Not good when wet.

Favorite Trail:   Bluff Creek

Purchased At:   Schlegels, Bicycle A

Similar Products Used:   Tioga Comp 3, GEAX Tattoo

Bike Setup:   2005 KHS DJ200 with Alex DM24 26" wheels, 26x2.2" tires, 2005 Redline MX24 BMX with 24" wheels, 24x1.85" front tire, 24x1.75" rear tire

Submitted by cyclecyko a Downhiller from Bend,OR,USA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2009

Strengths:    Uber Grippy,

Weaknesses:    Heavy,

Bottom Line:
I love this tire. I'm 230 lbs and have not had a pinch flat.
I run the rear at max pressure no matter what terrain I'm riding. I do However Change the Front out to a Nevegal for Singletrack. It's pretty sandy here and the rear provide plenty of forward bite while climbing out of the saddle.
On blue groove hard pack and cement the 2.4 front 2.2 rear combo is unbeatable.

Favorite Trail:   Not tellin you dude

Purchased At:   FTF

Similar Products Used:   K-Rad, Timberwolf, Nevegal, Specialized compound, Small Block8

Bike Setup:   Dirt Jumper Single Speed

Submitted by ilmfat a Cross Country Rider from ashland, ky, usa

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2009

Strengths:    they're supple, roll fast, and are durable. great for urban and even some trails.

Weaknesses:    heavy maybe.

Bottom Line:
i wish i woulda got another pair of these tires instead of the wtb's. they're like half the price. i have not had a problem w/ pinch flats, though i do not ride hard. i do however, weigh 260. they work pretty good on hardpack trails. mud, yes, its like ice. those little holes pack up quick, and turn your tire effectively bald. but they also shed mud quickly. they do slide off roots so not good for those either. but i love them. i highly recommend these tires for urban, or dry trails with a minimal amount of roots.

Favorite Trail:   river trail