Home | Reviews | Tire | Maxxis

Maxxis High Roller II Tire

4.8/5 (5 Reviews)

The open and aggressive tread design gives the High Roller II excellent soil penetration and mud clearing ability. A square profile provides a solid, consistent feel across the knobs. Modified knobs on the shoulder and center improve braking performance and traction on hard surfaces. When gravity pulls you downhill, rely on the High Roller II to keep you upright.

Submitted by andrew j

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2014

Strengths:    traction, traction, traction!!!! rolls well too. and it's has nice volume

Weaknesses:    none?

Bottom Line:
rails corners giving the rider TONS OF CONFIDENCE!!! Not a bad rolling tire either given the knobs. I have the 2.3 TR dual ply version. sealed right up with Stan's and a floor pump.

Similar Products Used:   Nobby Nic, Wild Grip'r 2

Submitted by Pontius_Pirate

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2014

Strengths:    traction in loose over hardpack conditions, sidewall durability

Weaknesses:    weight, rolling resistance

Bottom Line:
currently my fave front tire for the desert sw for general trail riding. the 29x2.35 is a huge knobby beast. it feels a hair heavier and slower than the ardent in 2.4 i had last. but the improvement in traction is well worth any tradeoff in weight. not to mention this tire holds up well to abrasion from basalt and granite. curremtly rolling tubeless on stans arch ex with no issue. will buy again.

Similar Products Used:   maxxis minion, ardent, higj roller one, conti trail and mtn kings

Bike Setup:   29 ht

Submitted by TJ a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2013

Strengths:    They bite like a bulldog in the corners, stopping power is great and roll faster than my old Kenda 2.35's and Hans Dampfs (the worst tires I have ever had on my bike by the way). The climb well and the sidewalls seem strong, they also look good on the bike! I have hammered my current set and they are wearing very well. Still playing with tire pressure.

Weaknesses:    Perhaps a bit heavy (but they still roll really well for such an agressive tire) and expensive, but I don't mind paying for a good product.

Bottom Line:
I really really like this tire and after five months of complete frustration with the Schwalbe's I couldn't be happier. The best All-Mountain tire I have ever had on my bike. Still learning to take advantage of these tires on the trail and playing around with the PSI. My next tires will be High Roller II's.... Again:)

Favorite Trail:   Cannell and anything in the Southern Sequoias!

Duration Product Used:   Month +

Purchased At:   The net

Similar Products Used:   Kenda 2.35 (2 types - cut and un-cut), Hans Dampf 2.35 (NOT GOOD), Specialized (2 types)

Bike Setup:   Basically stock 2011 Stumpy EVO 26" with grips, re-worked forx, pedals, and free-ride tubes. It has been a great bike!

Submitted by Lando

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2013

Strengths:    Grip. Up and, obviously down. You can lean hard with confidence that the tread will grab on almost any surface.

Weaknesses:    I wish they weren't nearly $100, but for what you get, it's worth it.

Bottom Line:
I ride faster and more confidently than ever. You can absolutely burl over anything in your path. Throw the High Roller 2 at anything and you'll stick. I've read that it was designed to excel in loamy, wet dirt, but I ride Western Montana moon dust and hard pack and the tire sticks to everything. I run HR2 in the front and the Maxxis Ardent in the rear, and the combo seems pretty well suited for hauling ass up and down trails in all conditions. If I rode gnarlier all mountain terrain more often I'd probably run a HR2 in the back as well.

Submitted by Tengster75 a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2011

Strengths:    Good thread in the center for XC and great cornering ability. Have not lost control in a corner yet. (I am sure it will happen sooner or later)

Weaknesses:    Would be nice if it rolls better on hard packed dirt.

Bottom Line:
Great tire for the price, I would purchase another after this one wears out. Coming from Nevagal, I think its just as good if not better. Especially for So-Cal riding style.

Favorite Trail:   The Tunnel and Sycamore Canyon